PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney: I haven't seen someone living in an elitist bubble since, well Bush Jr.

jAZ
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
When asked why none of his 5 sons have served in the military during the last 6 years since 9/11, Romney should have just left it at this.

"My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard."
That's the right political answer that both covers your twisted thinking and is unasailable, IMO. But he went on to

"One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

Romney noted that his middle son, 36-year-old Josh, was completing a recreational vehicle tour of all 99 Iowa counties on Wednesday and said, "I respect that and respect all those and the way they serve this great country."
This woman put it quite well...

"Of course not," Griffiths said when asked if she was satisfied with Romney's answer. "He told me the way his son shows support for our military and our nation is to buy a Winnebago and ride across Iowa and help him get elected."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070808/ap_on_el_pr/romney_iowa

StcChief
08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Elitist bubble... how about Hollywierd, Sports Celebs, Music artists, elected, running for election in Private Jets

Hydrae
08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
These guys are completely out of touch with the common man.

I was watching that new game show last night with Drew Carey, The Power of Ten. One of the questions was about what percentage of the people polled had spent more than $100 on a pair of jeans. Drew was shocked to find the answer was a measly 10%. His comment was, "All I can say is Wal-Mart." My first thought was, "welcome to reality."

I think most everyone in DC is as bad or worse than that. They have no idea what it is like to live in todays world as a common man and have to decide which bill you are going to pay this month and which one will wait until next payday. They don't know what it means to be relying on food stamps to feed their kids. They have no clue what it is like to expect to not go to college simply due to economics, either not not being to afford it or needing to work to support families taking precedence.

jAZ
08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I think most everyone in DC is as bad or worse than that. They have no idea what it is like to live in todays world as a common man and have to decide which bill you are going to pay this month and which one will wait until next payday. They don't know what it means to be relying on food stamps to feed their kids. They have no clue what it is like to expect to not go to college simply due to economics, either not not being to afford it or needing to work to support families taking precedence.
The house is truely better at that than the Senate. And some individuals are better at it than others. The house members are constantly running for election and only have a small region to represent, so they are out meeting with the people. The Senate by design creates a gap by way of representing the whole state and only running every 6 years.

The President, the policy advisors, the political advisors, are very often out of touch and the Washington media, the pundits and the like are all as closely connected to the issues as their polling permits.

htismaqe
08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Mitt Romney might just be the worst candidate in this election.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
:thumb: Great thread idea!

No wonder pat's gonna nominate him.

But, geeze, only 5 kids....that's a cryin' shame for a Mormon.

Jenson71
08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I was watching that new game show last night with Drew Carey, The Power of Ten. One of the questions was about what percentage of the people polled had spent more than $100 on a pair of jeans. Drew was shocked to find the answer was a measly 10%. His comment was, "All I can say is Wal-Mart." My first thought was, "welcome to reality."

I don't even know a place in Waterloo to buy a $100 pair of jeans. $50-$60 at the mall I can think of.

Cochise
08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
When I looked at that campaign contributions database that banyon posted, almost all of the ones listed in my zip code were for Romney. I figured that it's because my town has a pretty large mormon contingent. There's even one of their historic sites here.

The only thing that made me think was that however many Mormon voter there are... they will probably vote for him by a huge margin.

jAZ
08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Here's the full transcript of the answer...

Gotta love the fact that the Romney family left it to the charity of neice's neighbors to bring their new home up compliance with the association rules.

http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2007/aug/08/romney_campaign_remark_about_sons_was_taken_out_of_context
(link has video too)

Question: "Hi, my name's Rachel Griffiths, thank you so much for being here and asking for our comments. And I appreciate your recognizing the Iraq War veteran. My question is how many of your five sons are currently serving in the U.S. military and if none of them are, how do they plan to support this War on Terrorism by enlisting in our U.S. military?"

Governor Romney: "Well, the good news is that we have a volunteer army and that's the way we're going to keep it. My sons are all adults and they've made their decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty. I respect their decision in that regard. I also respect and value very highly those who make a decision to serve in the military. I think we ought to show an outpouring of support just as I suggested. A surge of support for those families and those individuals who are serving. My niece, for instance, just to tell you what a neighborhood can do and how touching it can be.

"My niece, Misha, living out West, her husband I think he got a call on a Tuesday. He's in the National Guard. He got a call on a Tuesday that he was going to be called up and shipped overseas on a Thursday. And they just bought a home -Ė they hadnít landscaped it -Ė but the rules in the neighborhood were that unless you got your home landscaped within a year of the time that you bought your home, they began fining you, because they didnít want people having mud holes in front of their homes. And she was very worried and just before the year expired, she woke up one morning and looked out the window and all the neighbors were out there, rolling down sod, putting up trees, getting it all done."

"Itís remarkable how we can show our support for our nation and one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping to get me elected, because they think Iíd be a great president. My son, Josh, bought the family Winnebago and has visited 99 counties, most of them with his three kids and his wife. And I respect that and respect all of those in the way they serve this great country."

ChiefaRoo
08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't even know a place in Waterloo to buy a $100 pair of jeans. $50-$60 at the mall I can think of.

Waterloo ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Waterloo ROFLYou have a problem with the Loo?

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
These guys are completely out of touch with the common man.

I think most everyone in DC is as bad or worse than that. They have no idea what it is like to live in todays world as a common man and have to decide which bill you are going to pay this month and which one will wait until next payday. They don't know what it means to be relying on food stamps to feed their kids. They have no clue what it is like to expect to not go to college simply due to economics, either not not being to afford it or needing to work to support families taking precedence.This right here is why I HATE politicians. They just don't get it...

Jenson71
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
You have a problem with the Loo?

The other day I pointed out how much of a moron ChiefsaRoo is. He hasn't gotten over it.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I hope you have a job now to pay for them instead of having to report dad to Social Services for not being able to get them.I imagine you'd have to report him to something far worse than SS for $50-60 jeans though. :p

Taco John
08-08-2007, 04:03 PM
They have no clue what it is like to expect to not go to college simply due to economics, either not not being to afford it or needing to work to support families taking precedence.

I just want to comment on this, because I believe that there's no excuse in America for someone who truly wants to go to college not getting there. There are literally hundreds of doors available for people to walk through, rich or poor. All you have to do is open them. My family was one of those "borderline" families. Too poor to pay my way, and made too much to get any of the free stuff. But I took out student loans, and managed to make it all the way through keeping a job most of the time I was there.

And as far as needing to work to support families that take precedent, we all make our choices. If you put "starting a family" before "finishing a degree," there are consequences to those choices.

All that said, I agree that Mitt Romney is out of touch. I think the guy is a clown, the equivalent of Dan Quayle. I think Romney packages all the stupidity of Dan Quayle, the looks and charm of David Hasselhoff, and the decision-making ability of John Kerry to form a monsterously terrible choice for president.

Jenson71
08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I hope you have a job now to pay for them instead of having to report dad to Social Services for not being able to get them.I imagine you'd have to report him to something far worse than SS for $50-60 jeans though. :p

"Dad can I have some money for a pair of jeans?"
"When I was a kid, when we wanted clothes, we had to either work two months picking cotten or kill a bear and skin its fur off."
"But we don't live anywhere near cotten."
"Maybe social services can send you to a nice southern home."
"Okay dad."

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 04:17 PM
"Dad can I have some money for a pair of jeans?"
"When I was a kid, when we wanted clothes, we had to either work two months picking cotten or kill a bear and skin its fur off."
"But we don't live anywhere near cotten."
"Maybe social services can send you to a nice southern home."
"Okay dad."
LMAO

I laughed so hard at that post last night, that I saved it and printed out to show my 13 year old and she cracked up too.

BTW I sent you a PM.
If they're outta tickets I'll personally send you the $35 if you need it to go.
Only it won't get there by Saturday so you'll have to trust me.
But everyone here is a witness so I won't stiff ya'.

Pitt Gorilla
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
LMAO

I laughed so hard at that post last night, that I saved it and printed out to show my 13 year old and she cracked up too.

BTW I sent you a PM.
If they're outta tickets I'll personally send you the $35 if you need it to go.
Only it won't get there by Saturday so you'll have to trust me.
But everyone here is a witness so I won't stiff ya'.I don't wish to drive to Ames, but I wouldn't mind going to vote. Where does Romney's bus pick up folks? (I probably wouldn't be very popular on the return trip, though, having not voted for Mitt).

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't wish to drive to Ames, but I wouldn't mind going to vote. Where does Romney's bus pick up folks? (I probably wouldn't be very popular on the return trip, though, having not voted for Mitt).
:hmmm: Aren't you in MO?

Pitt Gorilla
08-08-2007, 04:28 PM
:hmmm: Aren't you in MO?No.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 04:35 PM
No.
Then why does you avy location say you are?

Regardless, get ye'reass to buy some gas and make a trip to Ames to change history. Better yet, get a group together and car pool it.

wazu
08-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Mitt Romney might just be the worst candidate in this election.

Yeah, cause everybody knows the last thing the Republican party wants or needs is an actual fiscal conservative as their presidential candidate.

HolmeZz
08-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, cause everybody knows the last thing the Republican party wants or needs is an actual fiscal conservative as their presidential candidate.

I think it would've eased people's skepticism had he not done a complete 180 on a bunch of issues.

wazu
08-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I think it would've eased people's skepticism had he not done a complete 180 on a bunch of issues.

Meh. The only real flip-flop I hear about is abortion, which really doesn't hurt his fiscally conservative credentials. As governor he inherited a 3 billion dollar deficit, and yet managed to balance the budget every year without raising taxes (In Massachusetts of all places). That's the kind of leadership we need.

When Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, I hope it's this guy who does. There was a time when Republicans were the party of fiscal responsibility. I hope to see them return to those principles in my lifetime, and kick the neo-con, spendaholics to the curb.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Meh. The only real flip-flop I hear about is abortion, which really doesn't hurt his fiscally conservative credentials. As governor he inherited a 3 billion dollar deficit, and yet managed to balance the budget every year without raising taxes (In Massachusetts of all places). That's the kind of leadership we need.

When Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, I hope it's this guy who does. There was a time when Republicans were the party of fiscal responsibility. I hope to see them return to those principles in my lifetime, and kick the neo-con, spendaholics to the curb.
He's not a fiscal conservative at all. He's a tax and spend liberal. I posted a thread with an article from someone in Mass...where I'm from and most of my family. And I think "Fistgate" happened under his watch in the public schools.He also passed Romney Care-socialized medicine in MA too. Hasn't gone into effect yet. Very clever. I do think he'd avoid a war with Iran more than the others.

Mitt Romney: Champion of Big Government (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/howell5.html)
May 31, 2007
By Carla Howell - Co-Founder and President of the Center For Small Government.

HolmeZz
08-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Meh. The only real flip-flop I hear about is abortion, which really doesn't hurt his fiscally conservative credentials.

And gay rights, ect. He also lied about the reason for the change in his abortion position.

wazu
08-08-2007, 11:37 PM
He's not a fiscal conservative at all. He's a tax and spend liberal. I posted a thread with an article from someone in Mass...where I'm from and most of my family. And I think "Fistgate" happened under his watch in the public schools.He also passed Romney Care-socialized medicine in MA too. Hasn't gone into effect yet. Very clever. I do think he'd avoid a war with Iran more than the others.

Mitt Romney: Champion of Big Government (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/howell5.html)
May 31, 2007
By Carla Howell - Co-Founder and President of the Center For Small Government.

Okay, quick pulse check BEP:

Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Fred Thompson. Of the four, who would you consider to be the most fiscally conservative? (Note: Ron Paul is not listed.)

wazu
08-08-2007, 11:38 PM
And gay rights, ect. He also lied about the reason for the change in his abortion position.

Oh yeah, gay rights. Another position I care nothing about.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Fred Thompson. Of the four, who would you consider to be the most fiscally conservative? (Note: Ron Paul is not listed.)
Well, outside of Mitt, I don't know enough about the spending or pork votes on the other three but they support a Dept HS and the war on Iraq, the surge and more so....so I'd have to say none of them.

HolmeZz
08-08-2007, 11:41 PM
It was more about the fact that he has no real beliefs and he'll just change his positions depending on the office he's running for.

wazu
08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Well, outside of Mitt, I don't know enough about the spending or pork votes on the other three but they support a Dept HS and the war on Iraq, the surge and more so....so I'd have to say none of them.

Mitt's on the list, so if you have to go "outside of Mitt", then that means that Mitt is the fiscal conservative among Republican heavyweights in your opinion.

BOOOM! GOTCHA! JUST ADMIT IT!

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Mitt's on the list, so if you have to go "outside of Mitt", then that means that Mitt is the fiscal conservative among Republican heavyweights in your opinion.

BOOOM! GOTCHA! JUST ADMIT IT!
No it's none.

Unless you mean passing taxes ...'er calling them "fees" ( Mitt) instead to balance the budget. I don't really consider that truly fiscally conservative. It means cutting spending as well for me as in living beyond one's means.

wazu
08-08-2007, 11:52 PM
No it's none.

Unless you mean passing taxes ...'er calling them "fees" ( Mitt) instead to balance the budget. I don't really consider that truly fiscally conservative. It means cutting spending as well for me as in living beyond one's means.

Weak. That's like picking the four slowest guys in the NFL, and asking "which one is the fastest?" They aren't all the same. They will have different 40 times, and one will be the best, even if he's not named Ron Paul.

jAZ
08-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Mitt Romney is GWB (circa 2000) in his willingness to lie during an election. Saying anything needed to get elected.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Weak. That's like picking the four slowest guys in the NFL, and asking "which one is the fastest?" They aren't all the same. They will have different 40 times, and one will be the best, even if he's not named Ron Paul.
It's not weak. I said I didn't have enough info on the others to make an informed comparison.

wazu
08-08-2007, 11:59 PM
It's not weak. I said I didn't have enough info on the others to make an informed comparison.

Okay, I'll buy that. (Although you generally seem pretty well informed.)

jAZ
08-08-2007, 11:59 PM

John McCain... but why leave out the rest of the GOP candidates like Mike Huckabee, Tommy Thompson, Duncan Hunter, Tom Trancredo, Sam Brownback?

wazu
08-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Mitt Romney is GWB (circa 2000) in his willingness to lie during an election. Saying anything needed to get elected.

In debates, most of what I have heard is him trumpeting his own accomplishments in office. He's got quite a laundry list. That speaks more to me than a candidate who gives me their "views" over and over again. Views never accomplished anything.

BucEyedPea
08-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Okay, I'll buy that. (Although you generally seem pretty well informed.)
On what I'm interested to be informed about. I can't keep up with everything, and every candidate on all angles. There's too much. I don't go into all or any threads partly for this reason too.

wazu
08-09-2007, 12:02 AM
John McCain... but why leave out the rest of the GOP candidates like Mike Huckabee, Tommy Thompson, Duncan Hunter, Tom Trancredo, Sam Brownback?

I left them out because if I get to pick from my wish list, Ron Paul is the obvious choice. I was wanting a selection from the top-tier list in national polls. (So your pick qualifies as a legit answer, congratulations.)

I would actually be in favor of almost all of the lower-tier candidates you just mentioned except Brownback. I like Huckabee and Tancredo a lot.

BucEyedPea
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM
In debates, most of what I have heard is him trumpeting his own accomplishments in office. He's got quite a laundry list. That speaks more to me than a candidate who gives me their "views" over and over again. Views never accomplished anything.
I actually liked him too, even his ads. It's just that I read Lew Rockwell every week and saw that article on him and I went "wow!" Checked with a friend in Boston who is very familiar with Mitt and he confirmed it. My Mom was a liberal and she hated Pubs...but she liked Romney. I think he was the only Pub she ever voted for....not that she always told who.

wazu
08-09-2007, 12:05 AM
One more thing Jaz - I disagree on McCain. He is probably the most hawkish candidate that is running. Wars cost a lot of money, which doesn't lend itself to fiscal conservatism.

BucEyedPea
08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I would actually be in favor of almost all of the lower-tier candidates you just mentioned except Brownback. I like Huckabee and Tancredo a lot.
I love Tancredo on immigration and some other issues. But on the war on terror he's freaking out...with his wanting to bomb Mecca and all. He is convinced on a nuke attack on us. McCain is not just any hawk, he's a hot head too. Very bad combination imo. I feel the same about Rude-y.

There's at least a one or more things I like about each candidate in both parties...but the war is a bust for me.

wazu
08-09-2007, 12:14 AM
I actually liked him too, even his ads. It's just that I read Lew Rockwell every week and saw that article on him and I went "wow!" Checked with a friend in Boston who is very familiar with Mitt and he confirmed it. My Mom was a liberal and she hated Pubs...but she liked Romney. I think he was the only Pub she ever voted for....not that she always told who.

It's a pretty damning web site. It really won't be an issue for me until after the primary, since I already know who I'm voting for there. If Mitt wins the nomination, I'll have to dig deeper I suppose. I'm starting to think I may go my entire life without voting for a Republican candidate for president.

jAZ
08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
One more thing Jaz - I disagree on McCain. He is probably the most hawkish candidate that is running. Wars cost a lot of money, which doesn't lend itself to fiscal conservatism.
Romney the Hawk on his desire to expand the Iraq War...

http://mittromney.com/News/Press-Releases/Iraq_Statement_1_10_07

In consultation with Generals, military experts and troops who have served on the ground in Iraq, I believe securing Iraqi civilians requires additional troops. I support adding five brigades in Baghdad and two regiments in Al-Anbar province. Success will require rapid deployment.

jAZ
08-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Thought this was worth a chuckle...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/016410.php

Band of Brothers
Sentimental snark from TPM Reader MD ...

Reading about Mitt's claim that his five sons are serving the nation by driving the Winnebago through Iowa, I was put in mind of the once-famous Sulllivan Brothers, five Iowa boys who were all in the navy during WWII, were all serving on the same ship, and were all killed at the same time. I hadn't thought of the Sullivan Brothers in years. After their deaths, the military put in a rule that blood relatives could not all serve in the same unit. So the Romney boys should not all be riding around in the same Winnebago.

--Josh Marshall

Jenson71
08-09-2007, 02:02 PM
The Sullivan Brothers are still famous and making headlines in Waterloo, their hometown.

BucEyedPea
08-09-2007, 02:12 PM

In consultation with Generals, military experts and troops who have served on the ground in Iraq, I believe securing Iraqi civilians requires additional troops. I support adding five brigades in Baghdad and two regiments in Al-Anbar province. Success will require rapid deployment.
Well, I did know he was for what some deem "victory" in Iraq.

Just to clarify: what I was referrin' to was an interview I saw him do with Sean Shammity on Fox.( LOL!) This was regarding nuking Iran if we had too or striking it...I don't recall the exact question but it was along those lines. Mitt seemed sincere in his tone along his eyes, which came across as reluctant. He said..."you really hate to use that option, Sean."

Hence, my believing him to not be as hawkish as the rest of them who insist on that as an option. But then I've read he has some nc advisors too. I wasn't that familiar with the names of his though....unlike Rudy,who has one of the worst ones, and Fred Thompson who is a fellow at AEI, war monger central. No wonder they all sound alike.

wazu
08-09-2007, 08:42 PM

McCain wants the same and more. And I don't see him wanting to stop with Iraq.