PDA

View Full Version : Questions about DVR's

luv
08-09-2007, 12:37 PM
1. These work like VCR's did, right? You hook it up to your tv and record whatever?

2. Can you play cd's on them?

3. Anything else I should know before purchasing one? What's the average cost for a good one?

Thanks!

Ultra Peanut
08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
1. If VCRs were made of gold and worth even more, yes.

2. No.

3. Get a TiVo, if possible. The TiVo service is amazing, and others really can't compare to the reliability and features.

A pre-emptive welcome to the world of "How did I ever live without one?"

luv
08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
3. Get a TiVo, if possible. The TiVo service is amazing, and others really can't compare to the reliability and features.

Isn't TiVo some kind of service I have to pay for monthly, or am I thinking of something else?

noa
08-09-2007, 01:55 PM
If you get a Tivo, you can't play a CD on it, but you can hook it up to your computer and play music through your hard drive. Also, with Tivo, you can transfer shows you've saved onto your computer and burn it onto a disc.

noa
08-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Isn't TiVo some kind of service I have to pay for monthly, or am I thinking of something else?

You'll have to pay a monthly fee for any service, including DVR through your cable provider. You can get a lifetime subscription to Tivo to avoid monthly payments.

luv
08-09-2007, 02:02 PM
You'll have to pay a monthly fee for any service, including DVR through your cable provider. You can get a lifetime subscription to Tivo to avoid monthly payments.
So a DVR isn't as simple as a VCR. Damn.

Cochise
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
There is very little difference between the two.

The Time Warner DVR works more seamlessly with the channel guide I'm already used to - the Tivo channel guide is pretty hokey, and it often had the wrong information for me.

Tivo required me to have an extra box and extra remote lying around, the time warner DVR is in the cable box and uses the same remote as the cable does.

Tivo was costing me $15 a month, Time Warner is... $10 or $12, although when I called to cancel Tivo they offered to drop my rate to match the time warner rate.

Most importantly, to me, Tivo denied my rebate. I fronted $150 for a box, because the display said the cost would be rebated with a commitment, which I signed up for, and then they said the model I bought wasn't eligible. I talked to the place I bought it from and they told me to talk to tivo. Tivo told me to talk to them. Whatever. So, they might reimbuse you for the box, but with cable you aren't going to have to lay out anything.

I can't think of any advantage Tivo has. The way I used the product, they are both offering the exact same thing.

noa
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Well, I would argue its easier to use a DVR than a VCR to record shows because you can tell your DVR to record a show every time a new episode appears and it will do that automatically. Saves you the trouble of having to set your VCR every time. Also, your DVR can save a lot of shows, and all it does it take up space on the hard drive, not on a physical tape.

Baby Lee
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
More expensive, but actually simpler.
What you're paying for is that TiVO constantly update your listings and records what you want automatically.
Say you want every episode of Seinfeld aired. Set it to record every episode and it'll flag them and record them whenever and wherever [according to the channels you receive] they air.
Say you just want new episodes of House. Set it to record new episodes and it'll keep a lookout for every new episode.
I don't use TiVO [I have the Dish DVR], but I think they can also be set to record things you haven't requested but it thinks you'll like based on your recording habits.

Saulbadguy
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Our cable company rents out the boxes to you. It's much easier than using a VCR. Who the **** uses a VCR anymore?

Cochise
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't use TiVO [I have the Dish DVR], but I think they can also be set to record things you haven't requested but it thinks you'll like based on your recording habits.

When I had Tivo, that was on by default. I have no clue what it was thinking though when it recorded stuff it thought I would like. You can turn it off in the settings.

Another point is that before, when I had Tivo, it was not possible for the DVR to be recording one channel while I watched something else (at least, not without switching remotes and video channels and not having access to the guide and such). The Tivo box essentially just manned the remote control. Now that I have the Time Warner DVR, I can watch whatever I want, and if the DVR starts recording something else on another channel it doesn't even bother me. The red "record" button on the box flips on, but otherwise it's totally silent.

Ultra Peanut
08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Our cable company rents out the boxes to you. It's much easier than using a VCR. Who the **** uses a VCR anymore?Old people. Ew.

Well, and I broke out a VCR to watch some old tapes I had of wrestling PPVs/Nitro when I was on a nostalgia kick a couple of months ago. The last match I watched on a VCR was Benoit/Malenko from Hog Wild. :(

Another point is that before, when I had Tivo, it was not possible for the DVR to be recording one channel while I watched something else (at least, not without switching remotes and video channels and not having access to the guide and such). The Tivo box essentially just manned the remote control. Now that I have the Time Warner DVR, I can watch whatever I want, and if the DVR starts recording something else on another channel it doesn't even bother me. The red "record" button on the box flips on, but otherwise it's totally silent.Yeah, that's an important feature. My DirecTiVo has two-feed capability, and I can't imagine living without it. I can't believe the DTV assholes phased out the DirecTiVo to push their own shitty proprietary box, which honestly turned me off all cable/satellite DVRs, to some degree. I'm sure Dish or TW have better DVRs than DirecTV, but after using a TiVo it's hard to imagine using something as flaky as that.

JazzzLovr
08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
luv,

If you want to make a one-time purchase and not pay a monthly fee, and also have a device that works very similarly to a VCR, go with a DVD recorder. (And yes, you can play CDs with those) That's what I did at first. Then I got DirecTV and they only charged $5/month extra for a DirecTivo, so I took the plunge. (UP is right about them phasing that out tho, and I've heard very few good things about the new ones they have now. Love mine tho!)

A Tivo really does make things a lot easier, tho. As Baby Lee pointed out, you tell it the show you want it to record, and it will find it even if it changes times or stations, and will also record only new episodes if you set it to do that.

Tivo wish lists are great too. I have one set up for Chiefs/Football that catches some interesting stuff sometimes, like a 30-minute highlight reel from Super Bowl IV.

And you'll probably hear the "I don't know how I watched TV without it" from most Tivo owners. I work full time and take graduate classes. I don't have a lot of time to keep track of what's on TV and when. I can watch what I want when I want, and I don't have to watch commercials. :)

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2007, 04:58 PM
The DVR is a Godsend!

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I have the HD-DVR from Dish. Its WAY faster than Tivo.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Not to offend anyone, but if you cannot use a DVR, you are a tard. My 64-yr-old mother learned to use her Tivo. She is the least-tech-savvy person I know...

Cochise
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
And you'll probably hear the "I don't know how I watched TV without it" from most Tivo owners. I work full time and take graduate classes. I don't have a lot of time to keep track of what's on TV and when.

Same here - to the point that I almost never watch a TV show live, anymore. I don't even know what day/time the stuff that I watch is on.

Not having to sit through the commercials also shreds. I wish that they had a button that skipped right past them or the DVR automatically cut them out, though, instead of me having to manually fast-forward.

DaFace
08-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Not having to sit through the commercials also shreds. I wish that they had a button that skipped right past them or the DVR automatically cut them out, though, instead of me having to manually fast-forward.

It's not quite the same, but I've got a 30-second skip button that works like a dream. Since most commercial breaks are in 30-second increments, you can hit it five or six times and suddenly be at the end of the break.

And, just to echo everyone else, you will NEVER go back after having a DVR.

Nightwish
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
2. Can you play cd's on them?
Possibly. On a straight DVR, no. But they do make DVD/DVR combos, and if the DVD part of the combo will handle cd's (most will nowadays), then you should be able to.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Tivo is awesome. I own 2. You can no longer get a lifetime subscription however.

It IS worth the additional cost over a cable company DVR if you enjoy watching tv.

luv
08-09-2007, 09:55 PM
luv,

If you want to make a one-time purchase and not pay a monthly fee, and also have a device that works very similarly to a VCR, go with a DVD recorder. (And yes, you can play CDs with those) That's what I did at first. Then I got DirecTV and they only charged $5/month extra for a DirecTivo, so I took the plunge. (UP is right about them phasing that out tho, and I've heard very few good things about the new ones they have now. Love mine tho!)
Thanks. I was using a VCR as an example of something you just hook up to your tv, hit record, and record whatever. I wasn't looking for any kind of service. I don't watch a lot of tv. There are just a few things that I wouldn't mind recording now and then.

Nightwish
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks. I was using a VCR as an example of something you just hook up to your tv, hit record, and record whatever. I wasn't looking for any kind of service. I don't watch a lot of tv. There are just a few things that I wouldn't mind recording now and then.
Phones work pretty good for that, too. I've done it! Here's how it works: I just call up my friend Kris and say, "Hey, Kris, are you going to be watching Discovery Channel tonight? Can you record this for me?"

Demonpenz
08-09-2007, 10:39 PM
dvr should be like 13 bucks a month down there. You get digital cable and you can just highlight what you want and watch it later. I type in pardon for pardon the interuption and it records it for me. It is nice to have the gude there is shit I never would have taken time to watch it "Following pilots of the blue angels" then i have been watching yes i agree i can't believe i did without one. Recording every episode of scrubs, office, and entertainment tonight without popping in a tape and figuring out how the **** to get the 12:00 am to stop blinking

Lzen
08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
When I had Tivo, that was on by default. I have no clue what it was thinking though when it recorded stuff it thought I would like. You can turn it off in the settings.

Another point is that before, when I had Tivo, it was not possible for the DVR to be recording one channel while I watched something else (at least, not without switching remotes and video channels and not having access to the guide and such). The Tivo box essentially just manned the remote control. Now that I have the Time Warner DVR, I can watch whatever I want, and if the DVR starts recording something else on another channel it doesn't even bother me. The red "record" button on the box flips on, but otherwise it's totally silent.

I have a Dish Network dual tuner DVR. It can record one show while I watch something live. Sometimes, I have 2 shows recording at once. In those cases, I usually just watch something I had already recorded off the DVR hard drive. The DVR is a wonderful invention. I hardly ever watch anything live anymore because I hate watching the same commercials over and over, especially those those annoying Geico ads.

Baby Lee
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I have a Dish Network dual tuner DVR. It can record one show while I watch something live. Sometimes, I have 2 shows recording at once. In those cases, I usually just watch something I had already recorded off the DVR hard drive. The DVR is a wonderful invention. I hardly ever watch anything live anymore because I hate watching the same commercials over and over, especially those those annoying Geico ads.
Don't know if you were aware, but at least on the HD unit, you can also plug an antenna feed into the unit and record a 3rd show at the same time, so long as one of them is broadcast network. The OTA antenna has its own tuner.

Lzen
08-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't know if you were aware, but at least on the HD unit, you can also plug an antenna feed into the unit and record a 3rd show at the same time, so long as one of them is broadcast network. The OTA antenna has its own tuner.

Didn't know that. Of course, I don't have HD as of yet. Hoping to get an HDTV soon, though.

Bearcat
08-10-2007, 03:47 PM
More expensive, but actually simpler.
What you're paying for is that TiVO constantly update your listings and records what you want automatically.
Say you want every episode of Seinfeld aired. Set it to record every episode and it'll flag them and record them whenever and wherever [according to the channels you receive] they air.
Say you just want new episodes of House. Set it to record new episodes and it'll keep a lookout for every new episode.

I've never cared for Tivo because my DVR does all of that...... I have a Life's Good DVR, and I can pause live tv, it downloads listings every couple of nights, it'll record series or just new episodes, and I don't pay anything per month; and it's a DVD recorder.

That said, I was looking online for the one I own because a friend asked about it, and we couldn't find it.... so I'm not sure what happened to it. :shrug:

KcMizzou
08-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a question about DVD recorders.

If I were to buy one, can I tape multiple episodes of a series on the same disc?

Does DVD-RW allow that? Or does it just allow me the option of taping over whatever's already on the disc?

Mr. Laz
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
important things imo

1. Tivo (software/service)
2. duel tuners
3. High Def
4. big (single) hard drive ... 2 hard drives just double your chance of failure.

luv
08-12-2007, 10:04 AM

If I were to buy one, can I tape multiple episodes of a series on the same disc?

Does DVD-RW allow that? Or does it just allow me the option of taping over whatever's already on the disc?
Bump.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Also, I went to put in a blank DVD-R last night to record, and it kept spitting it out saying it couldn't load. Guess I'll have to read more in the manual.

Oh yeah. I bought one.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5693287

Yes, I bought it at Wal-Mart. I went to Circuit City and Best Buy, but they didn't have any near my price range that had a built-in tuner. That, and not one person helped me while I was at either store.

BigMeatballDave
08-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Bump.

Also, I went to put in a blank DVD-R last night to record, and it kept spitting it out saying it couldn't load. Guess I'll have to read more in the manual.

Oh yeah. I bought one.

Yes, I bought it at Wal-Mart. I went to Circuit City and Best Buy, but they didn't have any near my price range that had a built-in tuner. That, and not one person helped me while I was at either store.The one you got is a good one. Do you have an HDTV? That is also an upconverting DVD player.
This (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4810683) would have worked well for what you needed it for.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Bump.

Oh yeah. I bought one.

Yes, I bought it at Wal-Mart. I went to Circuit City and Best Buy, but they didn't have any near my price range that had a built-in tuner. That, and not one person helped me while I was at either store.
DVD-R and DVD-RW are very different

DVD-RW can be written over and over again.

if your machine 'closes' a DVD after recording to it then you can't add anymore to it.

KcMizzou
08-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Does DVD-RW allow that? Or does it just allow me the option of taping over whatever's already on the disc?Anyone know the answer to this?

KcMizzou
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
if your machine 'closes' a DVD after recording to it then you can't add anymore to it.Does that mean "no" in response to my question?

Does it just depend on the machine in question?

Smed1065
08-12-2007, 09:07 PM
See PM.

Bearcat
08-12-2007, 10:21 PM

With mine, I can add whatever to the disc one time up to 100% full (as I'm adding stuff it'll say 34% full, 75% full, etc). But, once it's written, full or not, I don't have the option to delete only certain shows and add others... When I try to create a new one, it automatically comes up with "this disc isn't empty, if you create a new one you will erase what's on the disc and start over".

luv
08-13-2007, 12:10 PM
DVD-R and DVD-RW are very different

DVD-RW can be written over and over again.

if your machine 'closes' a DVD after recording to it then you can't add anymore to it.
I figured out what my problm was. While it will play most anything, it turns out that it will not record on DVD+R's. Leave it to me to get those instead of DVD-R's. Whatever the difference is.

luv
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Damnit! I finally get the right DVD's and HBO is done showing reruns of last week's Hard Knocks episode. :cuss:

Mr. Laz
08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Does that mean "no" in response to my question?

Does it just depend on the machine in question?
you can record more than one

all depends on the DVD, Machine AND the settings on the machine.

DVD-RW are the best imo

they can written on ...... erased ..... written on again.

that way if something goes wrong or after you watch a show you can delete it and record something else.

you also need to read the instruction for your machine and see what kind of disks it takes and where the settings are so that you can record more than one show.

on a DVD that is not rewritable you have to make sure that the machine is leaving the disk/session open so that you can add more to it.