PDA

View Full Version : America needs another 9/11

Jenson71
08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Stu Bykofsky | To save America, we need another 9/11

ONE MONTH from The Anniversary, I'm thinking another 9/11 would help America.

What kind of a sick bastard would write such a thing?

A bastard so sick of how splintered we are politically - thanks mainly to our ineptitude in Iraq - that we have forgotten who the enemy is.

It is not Bush and it is not Hillary and it is not Daily Kos or Bill O'Reilly or Giuliani or Barack. It is global terrorists who use Islam to justify their hideous sins, including blowing up women and children.

Iraq has fractured the U.S. into jigsaw pieces of competing interests that encourage our enemies. We are deeply divided and division is weakness.

Most Americans today believe Iraq was a mistake. Why?

Not because Americans are "anti-war."

Americans have turned their backs because the war has dragged on too long and we don't have the patience for a long slog. We've been in Iraq for four years, but to some it seems like a century. In contrast, Britain just pulled its soldiers out of Northern Ireland where they had been, often being shot at, almost 40 years.

That's not the American way.

In Iraq, we don't believe our military is being beaten on the battleground. It's more that there is no formal "battleground." There is the drip of daily casualties and victory is not around the corner. Americans are impatient. We like fast food and fast war.

Americans loved the 1991 Gulf War. It raged for just 100 hours when George H.W. Bush ended it with a declaration of victory. He sent a half-million troops into harm's way and we suffered fewer than 300 deaths.

America likes wars shorter than the World Series.

Bush I did everything right, Bush II did everything wrong - but he did it with the backing of Congress.

Because the war has been a botch so far, Democrats and Republicans are attacking one another, when they aren't attacking themselves. The dialog of discord echoes across America.

Turn back to 9/11.

Remember the community of outrage and national resolve? America had not been so united since the first Day of Infamy - 12/7/41.

We knew who the enemy was then.

We knew who the enemy was shortly after 9/11.

Because we have mislaid 9/11, we have endless sideshow squabbles about whether the surge is working, if we are "safer" now, whether the FBI should listen in on foreign phone calls, whether cops should detain odd-acting "flying imams," whether those plotting alleged attacks on Fort Dix or Kennedy airport are serious threats or amateur bumblers. We bicker over the trees while the forest is ablaze.

America's fabric is pulling apart like a cheap sweater.

What would sew us back together?

Another 9/11 attack.

The Golden Gate Bridge. Mount Rushmore. Chicago's Wrigley Field. The Philadelphia subway system. The U.S. is a target-rich environment for al Qaeda.

Is there any doubt they are planning to hit us again?

If it is to be, then let it be. It will take another attack on the homeland to quell the chattering of chipmunks and to restore America's righteous rage and singular purpose to prevail.

The unity brought by such an attack sadly won't last forever.

The first 9/11 proved that. *

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/stu_bykofsky/20070809_Stu_Bykofsky___To_save_America__we_need_another_9_11.html

ChiefaRoo
08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Stupid.

the Talking Can
08-10-2007, 03:58 PM
and I thought Guliani was dumb....

Taco John
08-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Santorum feels the same way... (http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w24.html)

Fishpicker
08-10-2007, 07:30 PM
here is FOX news' defense...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIRcXUc11nw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIRcXUc11nw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

the Talking Can
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
i mean this guy is insane....truly insane

wazu
08-10-2007, 07:35 PM
One sick bastard writing the column is one thing, but the Fox news panel discussing it as if it's some kind of "edgy, enlightened" thought was much more disgusting.

HolmeZz
08-10-2007, 07:35 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIRcXUc11nw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIRcXUc11nw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Sick f*ckers.

go bowe
08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
poor stu...

he must have had some brain injury...

either that or he's schizophrenic...

maby both...

banyon
08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Americans have turned their backs because the war has dragged on too long and we don't have the patience for a long slog. We've been in Iraq for four years, but to some it seems like a century. In contrast, Britain just pulled its soldiers out of Northern Ireland where they had been, often being shot at, almost 40 years.

I get pretty tired of this line. We are too big of a wussy country to support a tough war anymore. BS. We have always sacrificed for wars where we clearly had a pivotal interest. These wars of choice, not so much. Most Americans still support our ops in Afghanistan, and we've been there even longer than Iraq.

StcChief
another Uniter (unfortunately) the attention span of a gnat minded America has already forgot after 6 years.

Would it unite or more Blame Bush because it happened

Ultra Peanut
We need another cataclysmic event to freak us out for a while and temporarily band us together until we inevitably drift apart once again, at which point we'll need another cataclysmic event to...

Most Americans today believe Iraq was a mistake. Why?Because it was an aimless, ill-advised, meandering disaster from the planning stages onward? Nah. It's because Americans are stupid! Why are they so divisive? Stupid Americans...

ChiefaRoo
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I get pretty tired of this line. We are too big of a wussy country to support a tough war anymore. BS. We have always sacrificed for wars where we clearly had a pivotal interest. These wars of choice, not so much. Most Americans still support our ops in Afghanistan, and we've been there even longer than Iraq.

I agree for the most part. Americans don't fear war, we just want to win and we don't like it when the pols try and get in the way.

banyon
08-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I agree for the most part. Americans don't fear war, we just want to win and we don't like it when the pols try and get in the way.

We agree? Are you sure?

ChiefaRoo
08-10-2007, 08:05 PM
We agree? Are you sure?

Yep :)

Logical
08-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Stupid.See we can agree

patteeu
08-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't have any fake or misguided outrage about this guy's pov, but I just don't think he's right. I have no confidence that another 9/11 would unite the country. Too many people are too invested in Bush-hate to resist the urge to blame the administration for letting it happen, IMO. Unfortunately, if Hillary is elected, I'm afraid the same will be true in reverse. If a Republican or Obama wins the '08 election, I guess there might be a chance for unity, but I wouldn't count on it.

ClevelandBronco
08-11-2007, 12:28 AM
No more 9/11s if we can figure out a way to avoid them. I'd rather be hated by our own domestic political challengers.

StcChief
08-11-2007, 09:03 AM
This country will never be united. The right/left are so far apart on too many issues.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2007, 04:46 AM
You asked for it, Stu.

http://i9.tinypic.com/67gzuab

BigMeatballDave
08-12-2007, 08:12 AM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIRcXUc11nw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aIRcXUc11nw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>Heh. I don't think they handled that well...

Bowser
08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Watching Fox News is like driving by a nasty car wreck on the highway - you just can't help but to stop and stare in disbelief.

Bowser
08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Oh, and this author is a f*cking idiot.

Adept Havelock
08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't have any fake or misguided outrage about this guy's pov

Well, then you'd be in line with just about everyone else.

Nice implied presumption on your part.

Personally, when some jackass suggests another 3,000 dead citizens could be a good thing, there's nothing fake or misguided about my outrage. If you think it's misguided..... :shake:

Taco John
08-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't have any fake or misguided outrage about this guy's pov...

ROFL

Of course you don't. It doesn't outrage you when people on your side of the argument make the case that dead Americans is a good thing.

Taco John
08-12-2007, 10:46 AM
This article wasn't off-base at all (http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w24.html). I remember all the fake, misguided outrage about it when I originally posted it. Turns out, It's not far off the mark at all.

StcChief
08-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Not like terrorists aren't trying their best to hit us, somewhere anywhere. The idea of another hit on 9/11 seems silly and not how they operate. That would likely galvanize the US again (but just for short while).

Hydrae
08-12-2007, 03:09 PM
And this division and loss of the patriotic fervor we had on 9/12 is my number one reason for despising GW. He had the chance to rally the people and do great things. Within just a couple of years he had instead lead us to the split, fighting, antagonistic country we have today. I will NEVER forgive him for that.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Not like terrorists aren't trying their best to hit us, somewhere anywhere. The idea of another hit on 9/11 seems silly and not how they operate. That would likely galvanize the US again (but just for short while).You actually have a good point, for once. They're far more interested in getting us out of their homeland than just screwing with us for the hell of it. Hitting us again doesn't do much more than make us more determined for a while, and doesn't really spur much in the way of support for them in the middle east.

patteeu
08-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, then you'd be in line with just about everyone else.

Nice implied presumption on your part.

Personally, when some jackass suggests another 3,000 dead citizens could be a good thing, there's nothing fake or misguided about my outrage. If you think it's misguided..... :shake:

If it's not fake, then, yes, I do think it's misguided.

patteeu
08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
ROFL

Of course you don't. It doesn't outrage you when people on your side of the argument make the case that dead Americans is a good thing.

My side of the argument? I said I think he's got it wrong.

patteeu
08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
And this division and loss of the patriotic fervor we had on 9/12 is my number one reason for despising GW. He had the chance to rally the people and do great things. Within just a couple of years he had instead lead us to the split, fighting, antagonistic country we have today. I will NEVER forgive him for that.

It's funny that you blame Bush for this instead of the democrats who consciously chose to be divisive as a political strategy.

You blame Bush for choosing a policy that some might not agree with (as if any particular policy could have been universally supported). I blame those who chose to disagree in a way that was far from constructive.