PDA

View Full Version : Bush War Flunkie says: ....worth considering a return to a military draft,

Logical
08-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Associated Press
Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look
By RICHARD LARDNER 08.10.07, 6:25 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/10/ap4010040.html

wazu
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Honestly, if we are going to force our military families into endless war, it seems only fair.

HolmeZz
08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
This administration blows so bad.

Ultra Peanut
08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Holy shit, what a moron.

Logical
08-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Truthfully my guess is that this poor sap was forced to make that statement to float the trial balloon for the administration.

go bowe
08-11-2007, 12:09 AM
if they think that going back to the draft is a good idea, then i would question their sanity or agenda, or both...

want to see some real protests?

just start drafting people for another unpopular war...

ChiefaRoo
08-11-2007, 12:32 AM
It will never happen.

wazu
08-11-2007, 09:46 AM
want to see some real protests?

Yes.

StcChief
08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Not gonna happen. Though some sort of volunteer service Community/Country by our over-endulged / self centered youth should be required.

Adept Havelock
08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Not gonna happen. Though some sort of volunteer service Community/Country by our over-endulged / self centered youth should be required.

I agree with the goal, but I do think that sounds a lot like social engineering.

I'd think it's the job of the parents to correct that attitude, not the government. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
08-11-2007, 11:01 AM
i would think all the war-mongering GOP'ers would be lining up to follow their beloved leader into glorious batte.

StcChief
08-11-2007, 11:18 AM
i would think all the war-mongering GOP'ers would be lining up to follow their beloved leader into glorious batte.

no sending Libs into glorious battle they have been hiding behind what it
takes to keep freedom to damn long....

Mr. Laz
08-11-2007, 11:34 AM
it takes war to keep freedom........

brilliant :thumb:

stevieray
08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
it takes war to keep freedom........

brilliant :thumb:

"If you want peace, prepare for War..."

banyon
08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah man, another cliche is exactly what we need to get out of this mess. Way to support the troops.

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 12:37 PM

If Iraq posed a threat to our freedom you'd have a point but like most neocons you're talking out of your ass with tired cliches.

HolmeZz
08-11-2007, 12:57 PM

What are you doing to maintain our freedoms?

PunkinDrublic
08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
What are you doing to maintain our freedoms?

He's battling the anti-american left one post at a time. ROFL

banyon
08-11-2007, 01:08 PM
He's battling the anti-american left one post at a time. ROFL

We only battle him because we hate his freedom.

Ultra Peanut
08-11-2007, 04:20 PM
If Iraq posed a threat to our freedom you'd have a point but like most neocons you're talking out of your ass with tired cliches.Saddam AL QAEDA IN IRAQ 9/11 fight 'em over there so we 9/11 don't have to fight 'em over here

(9/11)

Cochise
08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Truthfully my guess is that this poor sap was forced to make that statement to float the trial balloon for the administration.

The president's position is that the all-volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. Gen. Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

go bowe
08-11-2007, 05:20 PM
sounds a lot like ru-9/11-dy...

as well as the 9/11 president gw9/11bush...

and of course, 9/11 just for the hell of it, 9/11...

and terrorist terrorists, etc. 9/11...

hey peanut, sorry about copying your idea, but it was great fun for me (even though i don't do it nearly as well as you)...

Logical
08-11-2007, 05:36 PM
The president's position is that the all-volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. Gen. Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

Did you swallow the sinker as well as the hook?

go bowe
08-11-2007, 05:53 PM

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."our all-volunteer military forces are serving exceptionally well, no question about it...

but my understanding is that they are planning to expand the army and marines, by some very large number (i don't really recall the exact number)...

recruiting larger numbers of troops for the volunteer army and marines is gonna get a lot harder before long...

the recruiters also have to make up for losses (casualties and soldiers not reenlisting)...

i don't know if that can be done without a draft at some point = likely draft...

invading iran will require even more soldiers than the recruiters can provide = draft...

go bowe
08-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Did you swallow the sinker as well as the hook?swallow?

did i hear swallow?

nttiawwt :p

Cochise
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Did you swallow the sinker as well as the hook?

I don't mean to lord my leet reading comprehension skills over you guys, I'm sorry.

Logical
08-11-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't mean to lord my leet reading comprehension skills over you guys, I'm sorry.

I saw no internet speak for you to comprehend, you seeing things?

trndobrd
08-12-2007, 01:45 PM

The funny thing is that the guy never made the statement that "the draft was worth a look." In fact, at no point during the interview did he say that was the direction of the administration. If you look at the entire interview, he wasn't the one to raise the issue of the draft.

Here is an excerpt from the transcript...

You know, given the stress on the military and the concern about these extended deployments for an all-volunteer military, can you foresee, in the future, a return to the draft?

You know, that's a national policy decision point that we have not yet reached, Michele, because the

But does it make sense militarily?

I think it makes sense to certainly consider it, and I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table, but ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another. Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well. It would be a major policy shift not actually a military, but a political policy shift to move to some other course.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12688693

StcChief
08-12-2007, 01:58 PM
More "made up news" as taken out of context BS.

go bowe
08-12-2007, 02:07 PM
The funny thing is that the guy never made the statement that "the draft was worth a look." In fact, at no point during the interview did he say that was the direction of the administration. If you look at the entire interview, he wasn't the one to raise the issue of the draft.

Here is an excerpt from the transcript...

You know, given the stress on the military and the concern about these extended deployments for an all-volunteer military, can you foresee, in the future, a return to the draft?

You know, that's a national policy decision point that we have not yet reached, Michele, because the

But does it make sense militarily?

I think it makes sense to certainly consider it, and I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table, but ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another. Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well. It would be a major policy shift not actually a military, but a political policy shift to move to some other course.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=12688693 (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12688693)

that bed of comunists behind the disinformation network?

who would take their word for anything? :p :p :p

trndobrd
08-12-2007, 02:11 PM
npr?

that bed of comunists behind the disinformation network?

who would take their word for anything? :p :p :p

Actually, the NPR online title was 'War Czar' Concerned over Stress of War on Troops which is an accurate overview of the interview. Forbes titled their story based on one question out of the interview "Bush War Advisor Says Draft Worth a Look"

go bowe
08-12-2007, 03:09 PM
stress of war?

isn't that true of any war?

of course this particular war has quite a few new wrinkles that our troops have had to contend with...

from an outsider's pov, i suspect that having multiple tours in iraq or afghanistan may be among the most stressful aspects of this war, and it's hard on families too...

as far as forbes goes, you probably shouldn't pay any mind to how they distort the interview with a questionable headline...

most people with a ged can read the article and understand that the title may or may not be true...

in this case, the title is not true and even resident morans could figure it out...

btw, have i thanked you lately?

thank you for your service...

Logical
08-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Actually, the NPR online title was 'War Czar' Concerned over Stress of War on Troops which is an accurate overview of the interview. Forbes titled their story based on one question out of the interview "Bush War Advisor Says Draft Worth a Look"I noticed you chose to ignore this quote from Gen Lute:"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said ... ."

Hydrae
08-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I would think that the draft is something that is considered fairly often, especially with the way things are today. This in no way is saying that they are looking to implement it in the near or even far future. Just one of many possibilities.

At least that is what I took from the article when I read it under that same title yesterday (in a newspaper of all things).

trndobrd
08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I noticed you chose to ignore this quote from Gen Lute:

Um, you mean "chose to ignore" by placing it in my original post? Sure, whatever.

memyselfI
08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I think they've 'considered it' since day one. Whether or not they have the stones to actually try to implement it is another question. Frankly, after watching this administration break rules and bend laws for almost 8 years, nothing would surprise me.

My boys won't go so I don't worry about them but I sure worry about their friends.

Ultra Peanut
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Forbes? Buncha commies.

trndobrd
08-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I think they've 'considered it' since day one. Whether or not they have the stones to actually try to implement it is another question. Frankly, after watching this administration break rules and bend laws for almost 8 years, nothing would surprise me.

My boys won't go so I don't worry about them but I sure worry about their friends.

Sure. I assume your paranoia doesn't extend to the Dems that have been filing bills to reinstate the draft because they are doing it for the 'right' reasons.

BucEyedPea
08-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Aren't we giving citizenship to illegals in exchange for service?
Or wasn't it an idea? Good fresh cannon fodder right there if so.

wazu
08-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Aren't we giving citizenship to illegals in exchange for service?
Or wasn't it an idea? Good fresh cannon fodder right there if so.

We could use them to invade Mexico. I've always suspected that Mexico hates us for our freedom.

Logical
08-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Um, you mean "chose to ignore" by placing it in my original post? Sure, whatever.

I guess I don't see these exact words in your original post:
"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said ... ."
The post where you said. The funny thing is that the guy never made the statement that "the draft was worth a look." In fact, at no point during the interview did he say that was the direction of the administration. If you look at the entire interview, he wasn't the one to raise the issue of the draft.

trndobrd
08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I guess I don't see these exact words in your original post:

Try scrolling down. It's where I included the entire question and answer in it's complete context rather than just providing a little snippet of his statement. If you get to where I included a link to the entire interview transcript, you've gone too far.

As you are looking at that, please feel free to direct me to where he raised the subject of the draft to make some sort of policy statement ( my original reply was to your suggestion that he was doing so), where he said "the draft is worth a look", or any suggestion that the Bush administration intends to implement the draft.

The draft has "been on the table" since Carter reinstated the Selective Service Act back in 1980.

Logical
08-12-2007, 07:49 PM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12688693

Your right it is there, and I missed it, but how you can say he is not floating the trial balloon with a statement like that suprises me.

patteeu
08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Your right it is there, and I missed it, but how you can say he is not floating the trial balloon with a statement like that suprises me.

One reason to be skeptical of your speculation is that he didn't bring it up until he was asked about it and even then, he had to be pressed with a followup question before he pulled that trial balloon out of his pocket. If that was a trial balloon, Lute is a formidable PR artist.

As for the draft, if you want one you should consider voting for a democrat for POTUS.

Logical
08-13-2007, 11:55 AM
One reason to be skeptical of your speculation is that he didn't bring it up until he was asked about it and even then, he had to be pressed with a followup question before he pulled that trial balloon out of his pocket. If that was a trial balloon, Lute is a formidable PR artist.

As for the draft, if you want one you should consider voting for a democrat for POTUS.I would agree that he is probably a formidable PR artist. I never said I wanted a draft, I want us out of Iraq, except to leave some base camps.

memyselfI
08-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Sure. I assume your paranoia doesn't extend to the Dems that have been filing bills to reinstate the draft because they are doing it for the 'right' reasons.

Uh, wrong as usual. I think Rangel and any other Dem trying to use the draft for war politics is playing a huge game of gamble. One that is too risky, stoopid, and will be ineffective and therefore unnecessary.

Why cloud the issue for the uninformed? Why make the CONS seem like they have company in wanting the war to continue? Nope, spreading the wealth here is not a good idea.

a1na2
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

They would have to if called, all the libs will be in France.

VAChief
08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Well with the draft, the National Guard could return the safe haven for those of privilege...at least those who don't get medical exclusions for such dire physical challenges as a boil on their butt!

CHIEF4EVER
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Using the word 'Flunkie' is blatant hyperbole in the thread title but I am against a Draft in any form.

a1na2
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Using the word 'Flunkie' is blatant hyperbole in the thread title but I am against a Draft in any form.

I think the draft might be something that could be useful. Draft all of the illegals that are in the right age group, teach them to speak English and after 2 years of honorable service they can be assimilated into the America as citizens.