PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Favorite Type Of Cuisine

AJKCFAN
05-06-2001, 07:39 PM
It's been talked before here and there, but never has this been raised in a poll.

What is your favorite kind of cuisine?

If you choose "Other", please say which cuisine you like even more than these mentioned.

Frazod
05-06-2001, 09:03 PM
There are few things I like about Chicago, but the best thing about living here is the wide variety of restaurant choices. My personal favorites:

1. Thai - Thai rocks - the best oriental food IMO. Gotta have it at least once a week.
2. Ethiopian - no, its not sand on a plate. Excellent, exotic food with a real kick to it. I can't eat it as often as I once did, because its gotten rather hard on my system as I've gotten older. Very rich and spicy.
3. Japanese - primarily the Benihana-type places where the chef cooks at your table. Great stuff. Ironically, my favorite restaurant of this type is Gojos in KC.
4. Indian.
5. A really good medium rare filet mignon topped with sauteed shrooms and an appetizer of oysters Rockafeller. I'm not sure what nationality that falls under.
6. Italian
7. Mexican (as promised in the other thread - just had it for dinner this evening)
8. Greek
9. Chinese
10. Pretty much anything else - I LOVE FOOD!

AJKCFAN
05-06-2001, 09:15 PM
Tim:

I'm sorry, man. That last choice was between Thai and Brazilian and thought having Thai with Chinese and Japanese was going to be too much oriental food.

Thai is big in NY too.

I've also heard about Ethiopian food too. What dishes are the ones you'd recommend to this first-timer?

I went with Chinese, but so many are so close. Indian food is outstanding. I too am a hibachi lover and my g/f and I go Japanese most frequently. Italian is never a problem and always fun.

About the steak you mentioned. Sometime soon, I'll have an American food poll. ...

old_geezer
05-06-2001, 09:27 PM
Sorry man, I voted other.

If the truth be known, I was born and raised on a farm in Nebraska. There is nothing that makes my mouth water more than a good beef roast and potatoes smothered in gravy. Ummm, Ummm, Ummmm!

I'll eat about anything, but if I'm eating out I usually go for either Mexican or Chinese.

DanT
05-06-2001, 09:32 PM
Another good cuisine available in Chicago is Korean. Nice and spicy!

Phobia
05-06-2001, 09:41 PM
Brazilian is absolutely amazing but I dig Thai as well. I like every kind of food 'cept twinkies.

Frazod
05-06-2001, 09:44 PM
Adam - my favorite Ethiopian dishes are Kitfo and Zighini. Kitfo is steak tartar (raw) spiced all to hell. You can get it browned slightly, which I recommend highly unless you have a cast iron stomach - the raw variety can royally f#ck you up if you're not used to it. I personally can't eat it raw anymore. Zighini is cooked beef strips in a spicy sauce. Good dish for a beginner.

Ethiopian meals are communal, and there is no silverware. The dishes are served on a large platter on a type of sourdough flatbread. You tear off a piece of bread and use it to grab the food. I very interesting experience.

Dan, I haven't tried Korean yet. One of these days I will. It's the last oriental food I haven't sampled.

AJKCFAN
05-06-2001, 10:21 PM
Tim:

Thanks. Looks like Zighini will be on my plate when I hit Ethiopian, as well as a pitcher of ice water to help quench the thirst. Looks like I'll need it.... :)

Frazod
05-06-2001, 10:35 PM
Adam, I don't know if you ever make it up here, but the place I go to for Ethiopian is Mama Desta's Red Sea Restaurant, near the intersection of Clark and Belmont in the Wrigleyville area of Chicago. I'll happily plug the place - it's great.

They also have a great honey wine you should try.

BIG_DADDY
05-07-2001, 02:29 PM
BIG DADDY likes:

1. French
2. Italian
3. Japanese - Sushi baby

When I go out to eat I probably do sushi over 50% of time. There are 2 awesome places out here in the bay area. French rarely because it is SO expensive for how much you get.

Alton deFlat
05-07-2001, 03:15 PM
Being of Sicilian descent, it has to be Italian. I was eating spaghetti and bagna cauda in the nursery. Ciao!!

58Forever
05-07-2001, 04:00 PM
Chief4ever, Piasan, I ama Sicilian too...and I love Italian but when I was growing up it's all I ate...my grandma was old country and she fixed pasta or some kind of Italian dish daily...

My tastes now lean toward anything edible...:D I wonder if that's why I'm overweight?

BBQ, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, I love it all...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-07-2001, 07:47 PM
Actually, it's hard to say which is my "favorite", although, since I've started studying Kendo, we do tend to go out for sushi everytime a visiting sensei comes up to visit our practices.

I also am a <b>HUGE</b> fan of Mediterranean food. Greek, Lebanese, Syrian, Arab.... Gyros (schwarma), felafal, dolmethes (stuffed grape leaves), kefthedes (greek meatballs), humus bi tahini with pita bread, baklava (ahh... my favorite holiday food)... (BTW, my wife is 2nd generation Greek, so she has a lot of her grandmother's recipies)

Indian, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Thai, Czech, Hungarian....

About the only things I'm not too fond of is British cooking and Korean.

Not too bad for a meat and potatoes kind of guy before I joined the Army.

Dang, I just made myself hungry :D

Raiderhader
05-07-2001, 07:53 PM
Adam,
no American? I can't vote for my favorite, BBQ. :D Or a thick juicy porter house, smothered in mushrooms and butter. With out American food as an option I have to say it comes down to Italian and Mexican, with Italian probably as my favorite of the two.

Zebedee DuBois
05-07-2001, 07:59 PM
I think many of us don't have the oppurtunity to sample all these ethnic foods. I only know of one Indian restaraunt here in Doodah. It is fabulous. I love that stuff.

What is Brazillian food like? That sounds interesting.

Alton deFlat
05-08-2001, 12:47 PM
Hey 58Forever, Buon Giorno!! We also ate pasta several times a week while I was growing up. I don't eat at Italian restaurants very much, mostly because of the standards it would have to live up to. I very seldomly find one that has as good a red sauce as my mother's.
Have you ever been to Sicily? I haven't yet. I sure would like to go some day, but I have to put gas in my car.

58Forever
05-08-2001, 02:53 PM
Chief4ever, yes, I got to go when I was in HS...it was a great...but that was quite a few years ago...the Italian food in Italy ain't nothin' like it is here...as usual, we've Americanized it to suit our tastes...

I get to go back to Italy in December. We are going to sicily again...I can't wait.

HC_Chief
05-08-2001, 02:56 PM
You guys <i>have</i> to go to Garozzo's in KC! Best Italian food I've found in the city thus far.

If you know of another place(in KC) that's as good/better, <b>please</b>, let me know!! :)

Alton deFlat
05-08-2001, 03:34 PM
58:
Ya lucky dog!! I've promised myself to go there eventually. My grandparents lived northwest of Agrigento, in the southern part of Sicily. I'd like to visit their old hometown of Burgio.

HC:
I've never been to Garozzos, but I've heard it's pretty good. I guess I never think about it when I'm in KC. My brother used to like Cascone's (sp).

HC_Chief
05-08-2001, 03:38 PM
4ever - 'pretty' good is an understatement. Probably the best Italian food I've ever had (Pollo Spidini is unreal!) When Vermeil and Peterson had their 'meet & greet' with the local press, they had it at Garozzo's. I think it's one of CP's favorite restaurants - last time I went, he was there with his lovely wife & cozy group of friends. (I didn't talk to him - just got engaged tht day & we were celebrating... a little tipsy) ;)

Alton deFlat
05-08-2001, 03:46 PM
I know there's more than one in KC. Which of them do you recommend or are they all comparable?

HC_Chief
05-08-2001, 03:51 PM
I go to the one on College and 69Highway (Overland Park)

There is also one downtown - but I've never been to it. I heard it is small, but has great atmosphere.

If you go, save room for dessert - best Cannoli I've ever had. Really good Tira Misu(sp?) too (usually, I'm not a big fan of it - but it was great there)

Alton deFlat
05-08-2001, 03:54 PM
Thanks!! The one at College is most convenient for me. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

HC_Chief
05-08-2001, 03:58 PM
hehe - me too.

Just remember: Pollo Spidini (they have 3 or 4 different versions - all of them are excellent)

Alton deFlat
05-08-2001, 04:07 PM
With Pollo in the name, it must have chicken in it.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HC_Chief
05-08-2001, 04:13 PM
They also have Veal Spidini - but I can't order that anymore without hearing "oh, poor baby cow..." (just don't want to deal with it...) ;)

Phobia
05-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Brazilian is mostly Beef, Pork, & Chicken grilled on giant skewers. They walk around with skewers full of meat and cut off as much as you'd like. They also offer an amazing salad bar prior to your entre'. Basically, you pay $40 a head and get to eat whatever you want. I have stuff myself MANY times at these places and you can't beat the quality of the meat.

HC_Chief
05-08-2001, 05:16 PM
Only Brazilian food I've had = pepper steak with fried plantains. It was DAMN good.

Word of warning: do NOT eat plantains raw!! They are bitter and nasty. Fried, however, they are sweet & tasty - a nice contrast to spicy peppered beef strips :)