PDA

View Full Version : Post your 'I hate my Boss story here'.

sd4chiefs
05-06-2001, 10:06 PM
Instead of us bashing each I would like to here some bad boss storys. My old boss used to lean back in his big chair and yawn every 15 minutes while sat in my little chair and work my butt off trying to get my projects done on time. He was even to lazy to hire more help even when it was approved by management. His only goal in life was to be out the door by 2:00 so that he could go to the bar and get drunk. If anyone tried to ask him a question he would just get mad and start yelling.

Frazod gave me this idea.

Phobia
05-06-2001, 10:39 PM
All my bosses and I have shared mutual respect. I'm afraid I don't have any horror stories involving bosses....

Frazod
05-06-2001, 11:14 PM
This is sort of an I hate my boss story.

My most memorable boss was Lieutenant Commander Harry Byers, Chief Engineer of the USS Concord. I was the Log Room Yeoman, which was another way of saying I was his secretary. I had been on the ship about a year before he showed up. Life had been pretty easy - the guy he replaced was very laid back (rare for an officer) and didn't make me do too much. That all changed rapidly. This guy was hell on wheels. He never stopped-hell, he never even slowed down. He chained smoked three packs a day. He was the most abrasive, abusive, mean, nasty, vile twisted pr!ck I had ever seen. He made me work five times harder than the other guy. He cussed me. Every morning I would come into the office and say "Good morning, sir." And he'd say "F#ck you, Frazee, go make a pot of coffee." He belittled me. He once called me a pr!ck, but then thought better of it, saying, "Frazee, I called you a pr!ck, but I lied. Because, Frazee, I pr!ck is three things: it's the better part of a man, it's got a head on its shoulders and it serves a purpose in life, AND NONE OF THOSE DESCRIBE YOU." He threw things at me, including a stapler, which was his favorite weapon. All of these things happened with great frequency.

For the first six months I worked for him, I literally prayed for this guy to die every single night. I thought he was the devil. He made my life miserable and relished in doing it. BUT THEN... I got used to him. And I actually started to work well, and hard, which was something I'd never done before because prior to meeting this guy I was pretty much a useless slacking idiot. He turned me around. Then I figured out that he only abused the people that he liked in that way - the people he DIDN'T like were crushed like bugs. Then I figured out that because he liked me, he would protect me, and I could get away with murder. As long as I busted my a$$, I was in fat city. I even eventually insulted him back (very tactfully, of course) - we developed a great relationship based on hard work and mutual abuse. In the end, it was a great experience.

This guy taught me to work, and taught me responsibility. I would have never amounted to sh!t had it not been for him, and I owe him everything I ever accomplish in my life. The sad part is I never got to tell him that, and I left the ship with him thinking I still hated his guts. Wish I knew how to get ahold of him and thank him (assuming he's not dead yet, which, given his lifestyle, is a distinct possibility). Maybe someday I find him.

California Injun
05-06-2001, 11:23 PM
Was your boss a Mexican?

Frazod
05-06-2001, 11:31 PM
Negative. In fact, he was a vicious old redneck from Kansas.

Rick Stephens
05-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Frazod,

Have you ever searched the military boards, looking for people you were in the military with? There are several on the web you can search for free.

sd4chiefs
05-07-2001, 12:16 AM
frazod,

sd4chiefs
05-07-2001, 12:22 AM
frazod, Good post, who wrote the sound 'You have to go through hell to get to heaven.

Michael Michigan
05-07-2001, 12:26 AM
My boss is a know-it-all overbearing workaholic who demands perfection.

Oh- wait, I'm my boss. :)

Frazod
05-07-2001, 12:28 AM
Rick, I have searched military.com for old Navy buddies, but have come up with nothing for people I'd like to find. Hopefully this will change.

I doubt if LCDR Byers would be up for that sort of thing. He's not much of a people person.... :D

Phobia
05-07-2001, 12:33 AM
I get 32 hits on switchboard - check it

http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgiqa.dll?SR=&MEM=1&LNK=3%3A154&F=Harry+&L=Byers&T=&s=&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

htismaqe
05-07-2001, 08:28 AM
Well, I was going to post about how much I hate my manager, but I just found out that after I complained again on Friday, he's no longer my manager!

Mark M
05-09-2001, 11:43 AM
I saw this thread a few days ago but haven't had the chance to respond.

But I cannot hold back. Check this out ...

1. I was written up for missing 1/2 hour of work after being involved in a hit and run accident. I had 4 hours of sick leave, 2 days of vacation and 3 hours of overtime left, but that did not matter. It also did not matter that my boss has missed more time in 6 months than I have in a year and a half.

2. She took my name off of 2 articles that I wrote for our company newsletter and put her name on them, thus taking credit. Still haven't been able to prove it to anyone, but everyone knows.

3. I work in printing. My boss (who is supposed to be in charge of our print shop) didn't even know the four colors in the printing process (CMYK). This is basic info ... you learn it your first day.

4. One of her main duties is to edit. She either has me do it or she does it half-a$$ed.

5. Direct quote: "Well, I'm a manager. I can come in any time I want." This was after she showed up an hour late without an excuse.

6. She has now been here for a year and still cannot understand our accounting and inventory tracking program, Oracle. The VP of Accounting comes to me with questions, not her.

I could go on and on, but my lunch break is now only 30 minutes. But this should give you an idea of what I have to put up with each and every day. Her sheer stupidity amazes me, as does the fact that she will never be fired. The person that hired her won't admit he made a mistake and told me to "deal with it, even if you have to do her job." Well, considering she makes twice what I do yet does half the work, how am I supposed to do so without b!tching about it?

Too bad I have a mortgage payment ... otherwise I'd be writing this from home.

MM
~~Still looking for a new job.

Iowanian
05-09-2001, 11:48 AM
Currently I have too many bosses. I work under a gubment board, a committee and have 3 direct supervisors.....for just me....the only person in my "department".

Today, the one boss of the 3 that I like resigned....arggg....now there will be a power struggle and I'm the Rubber man.

~Thinking seriously about applying for a couple of good positions in the DM Iowania area.