PDA

View Full Version : Obama comes in third in IA poll... of likely Republican caucus-goers

Ultra Peanut
08-11-2007, 10:59 PM
http://campaignsandelections.com/IA/articles/?ID=479

Perhaps most surprising of all, Obama actually finished third as the preferred general election candidate of registered Republicans, at 6.7 percent, behind Romney (21.8 percent), and Giuliani (10 percent), but ahead of Thompson (5.2 percent) and McCain (1.8 percent).

Obama's Iowa Communications Director Josh Earnest was pleased, and said the numbers reflect that Obama, "is the one [candidate] articulating a clear vision of standing up to special interests and uniting the country across party lines, across ideological lines," and that many of Obama's major accomplishments, "were done by uniting Republicans and Democrats around shared values."

"Of the Democratic candidates, Obama shows the most crossover support in this poll," said Redlawsk, although he emphasized that Obama's number doesn't hold any meaning for the caucuses. "What we're seeing at this early stage, among people looking forward to the November 2008 election, is that Obama is the Democrat Republicans are most likely to vote for."

BucEyedPea
08-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Before I read the rest of your link I was wondering if this may be a factor in the low turnout at the GOP Straw Poll.

Then as I read down I found this:

In a sign that Iowa Republicans are not happy with their field of presidential candidates, 31.1 percent declared themselves undecided, topping even Romney's total. "I think it isn't that it's unexpected, but we certainly believe that the Republicans are considerably more discontented than the Democrats," Redlawsk said. "And it's harder to find people who say they're planning to attend the Republican caucuses ... Republicans seem much less mobilized and more discontented.

The poll used a sample of 303 self-identified Republicans, and has a margin of error of 5.5 percent.

Except maybe for a rich candidate and Evangelicals who placed just behind...they're driving everybody else out. Then it was only 303 folks. Although that doesn't mean it's wrong necessarily either.

In fact it matches my own perception on what is happening as well as that poll on tv tonight saying Bush poll numbers were climbing up again...only 6%...but it was not among independents and democrats....just Pubs. I wonder which ones?

Ultra Peanut
08-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Personally speaking, I think Obama's in great shape if he can win the primary. He's incredibly appealing for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being that he actually answers questions and offers a transparency that other big candidates would run from shrieking.

On the flip side, you've got a crop of Republican candidates that all have massive weaknesses and can't even really get many Republicans fired up about them. A niche candidate like Paul is someone that has people excited, but probably won't be able to get enough support in the face of the ho-hum money machine/religious right rage of the week.

If Democrats were actually looking to the future, they'd see that Hillary is not only not the "inevitable" choice, but she's also neither the best choice nor the choice with the best chance of winning the general election.

BucEyedPea
08-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Personally speaking, I think Obama's in great shape if he can win the primary. He's incredibly appealing for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being that he actually answers questions and offers a transparency that other big candidates would run from shrieking.

On the flip side, you've got a crop of Republican candidates that all have massive weaknesses and can't even really get many Republicans fired up about them. A niche candidate like Paul is someone that has people excited, but probably won't be able to get enough support in the face of the ho-hum money machine/religious right rage of the week. [Lol!]

If Democrats were actually looking to the future, they'd see that Hillary is not only not the "inevitable" choice, but she's also neither the best choice nor the choice with the best chance of winning the general election.
It's just she has the PAC money and machine behind her.

BucEyedPea
08-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I thought you Dems might like this:

The big lead in the USA Today/Gallup national poll for Sen. Hillary Clinton (N.Y.) for the Democratic presidential nomination is illusory. She is in a virtual tie with Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) in the key early delegate contests in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=21872

Pitt Gorilla
08-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Given the Dems positions on healthcare and their control of congress, I fully planned on voting for a Republican. While that is still a likelihood, the choices outside of Paul are terrible. I don't like the Dems, either, outside of Richardson. However, Obama is growing on me and I would certainly take him over Romney or Brownback. If it's Romney versus Hillary, it may be time to look into that sabbatical in Australia.

More directly on topic, this news doesn't surprise me. My conservative friends don't find Obama offensive in the way that they find most Dem candidates offensive. I don't know if it's the religion thing or if he's seen as harboring a higher degree of honesty, but Iowans (at least) seem to like Obama.

HolmeZz
08-12-2007, 12:07 AM
HUSSEIN IN THE MEMBRANE

chiefforlife
08-12-2007, 12:43 PM

The big lead in the USA Today/Gallup national poll for Sen. Hillary Clinton (N.Y.) for the Democratic presidential nomination is illusory. She is in a virtual tie with Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) in the key early delegate contests in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

I am a registered Republican but I find this to be great news, Thanks.

So far I am going to vote for Obama.

Sully
08-12-2007, 02:02 PM

That is great news.

Ultra Peanut
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Iowa is, somehow, the best state.