PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Pet Peeves

California Injun
05-06-2001, 11:25 PM
1 - Why do you need to post NFT before an obvious Non-Football Topic? (i.e. "Favorite Foods" or "Lakers/Kings") It seems rather obvious they are not about the Chiefs.

2 - The Planet has a censor button for vulgarity yet I can use numerous symbols and still get my profane thoughts aired. (i.e. F*CK, Sh!t, A$$, et al) Fortunately, I elect to use more eloquence to make my point but others seem to circumvent the spirit of this Board.

3 - Does anyone really view the polls on a thread?

4 - I'm envious of those who are more computer literate and are able to add cool graphics to their posts.

Other than that, I like the format and enjoy the witty repartee among its members.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-06-2001, 11:37 PM
Sorry.

CG

will try not to put "NFT" in front of an obvious non-football topic

California Injun
05-06-2001, 11:50 PM
Cody,

Not singling you out.

Just observational issues on a s-l-o-w night.

Although the Lakers win and the LA Kings double OT thriller to tie the Colorado "Yankees" was sweet.

TheFly
05-07-2001, 12:29 AM
1. NFT or NFBT was added due to folks complaining that they couldn't tell if it was a "football" topic or not.

2. I'm okay with profanity as long as it doesn't get too extreme... When it is part of making a point it never bothers me...

3. Yes I do read the polls. At work I don't have time read or reply to threads, but I can quickly view a poll and then sign off.

4. I too am jealous of all those nifty graphics and such...

- - - -

a. I'm peeved when people pimp their sites and don't contribute to discussions

b. I'm peeved when I can't get on...

c. I'm peeved there aren't more women on the board...

d. I'm peeved the season hasn't started!!!

AustinChief
05-07-2001, 12:37 AM
OK...
I can't do anything about issues 1,2,3,4,a,c or d.
The only issue I can address is b. The problems with getting on are sometimes my fault. I'm working to get more memory in this server (actually 3 times more memory) so that it won't be an issue for quite some time. I'm just now getting over my first weekend back in the USA and all the social obligations that I needed to uphold. I'll keep evrybody updated as things progress.

--Kyle

btw... I'll still be in DFW this upcoming weekend (11-13)if anybody is around in North Texas.

TheFly
05-07-2001, 12:44 AM
Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!! You've been sorely missed. And please, never, ever, switch us to a clueless ISP again!!!!!

I am so glad for Chiefsplanet. It keeps me connected with real life... well, sorta... At least a life beyond work and raising kids!

Taco John
05-07-2001, 12:44 AM
This server is very slooooooooow...

AustinChief
05-07-2001, 12:57 AM
Fly,
No more switching and now we're on a dedicated server so I will be shouldering all the blame for server issues... the ISP is only providing us with raw bandwidth now (thank god).

It's good to be back... even if its only for a little while...

TacoJohn,

Actually the server is REALLY fast... the MySQL (BB) is what runs slow at times... and that is becasue it is configured to run with MUCH more memory... I could reconfigure it for less memory but since I'm going to add more memory soon, I decided to leave well enough alone. The biggest problem has been growth of the BBS and upgrades that all occurred at the same time as my moving to Spain for a year. I'm back now for a couple of weeks and I'll try to get things back to normal.

--Kyle

btw... the upgrades aren't actually slowing down the BBS... it is just coincidence. I upgraded because the old BBS got trashed and it seemed like the best time to do it. The problems are all centered around the new server and lack of memory. I should have that fixed soon.

47mack
05-07-2001, 05:34 AM
1. Narrow minded people that won't listen to other peoples opinions.

2. Grbac lovers that now act as though they hated him all along. (I'm not fooled)

Bob Dole
05-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Virtual flatulence.

aturnis
05-07-2001, 10:14 AM
My peeve is people who belittle others, or in other cases, who just complain, though none of these complainers have posted yet, still waiting for you 1st Lady...

JOhn
05-07-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 47mack

2. Grbac lovers that now act as though they hated him all along. (I'm not fooled)

LOL, Little explanation on my part, thou I'm pretty sure thats not aimed at me?

I liked Grbac and Backed him 100% when he was here. Yes I saw his faults and defects, BUT as long as he was OUR QB, I did my utmost to overlook them and point out his good points.

BUT now that he's gone...F*CK HIM!!!

he's the enemy and he's now fair game.

Does that make sense?

Lightning Rod
05-07-2001, 01:09 PM
1. Property Tax- since I am lucky enough to still own something a year after I bought it and paid sales tax on it I should pay the dirty bastages again.

2. People driving under the speed limit in the fast lane.
3. People whom, even though I’m speeding in the slow lane feel the need to keep their car 3” behind my rear bumper. Extra credit when there is snow on the road.

4. People that get drunk and sue the bartender when they get into a wreck.

5. Drugs -Why can’t someone invent a drug that makes people feel great that doesn’t make people crash their cars or rot their mind and bodies?

6. Political Correctness- Enough already.

7. Commercials telling women to rub this stuff on their chest if they want bigger boobs. Wouldn’t it make their hands bigger too?

And many more

Chief Henry
05-07-2001, 03:02 PM
My biggest pet peeve's......

1. People who want something for nothing.
2. Lazy people that.
3. People that complain about everything.
4. When my stuff doesn't work the way it's suppose too.

HC_Chief
05-07-2001, 03:09 PM
I thought we already did this thread....

1) Repeat threads (no offense injun) ;)
2) Trolls
3) People who feed trolls
4) Slipping off your bike seat into the frame - crushing your 'taint' :eek:
5) OTHER people's kids in public
6) Teens (all of 'em)
7) Worlds of Fun employees
8) Paying 40 cents on the dollar (sick effing tax rate)
9) Whiny people
10) Complaint lists

LapDog
05-07-2001, 03:13 PM
1) People who call people racists.

2) People who enter the intersection after the light turns red. Especially the second and third car to do so.

3) People who think rich people are evil.

4) People who think intelligence is a character flaw.

5) People who lie.

6) Police organizations and officers who think it is more important to target people who speed than it is to target people who run red lights.

7) Police organizations and officers who claim to be curbing aggressive driving but are too stupid to realize that they're only aggravating the problem. (Instead, you should be educating people about their idiot driving behaviors that interfere with the smooth flow of traffic.)

8) Did somebody say political correctness? I'll second that.

9) People who take nothing into consideration but what they want.

10) People who don't know the difference between knowledge and intelligence.

Now if that didn't piss anybody off, I'll be shocked. No offense everyone, just callin' 'em like I see 'em.

LagDog
is gonna take hell for this one

Iowanian
05-07-2001, 03:16 PM
State Troopers who seem to "remember" you and are complete d@ckheads a year later.(as per friday night)

-may he(actually, screw it, all of them) get the piles and infected hemorhoids...and may their car seats be hard and a spring pop out before breakfast......and while I'm at it, May their wives be whores and give them gonorhea and the fleas of 1000 camels infest their crotch.

~I could tell you how I really feel about it :mad:

bigdaddychieffan
05-07-2001, 03:20 PM
My pet peeve is cops who follow you around town. My older brother said that if a cop doesn't pull you over after 4 turns, left or right, then that is harrassment. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this? Because one particular cop in my home town does that to a lot of people.

TheFly
05-07-2001, 04:54 PM
Well, now that we've expanded our pet peeves...

- Disneyland charging $48 per adult. (An adult is any child 11 years and older)
- Knotts charging $38 per adult.
- Universal charging $45 per adult.
- Gas costing $2.09 a gallon.
- Electricity costing $1 per kilowatt hour
- California
- Florida

And yes, I don't go to theme parks. I can spend my $50 in many other ways, much more rewarding to myself personally and my children.

Oh yeah, and that...

- Bowling is NOT counted as a REAL sport while golf is!

;)

HC_Chief
05-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Fly - Universal is kind of lame, but Islands of Adventure (at Universal Park Orlando) is friggin' AWESOME!

It's the only theme park I've gone to & thought the admission price was actually worth it! :)

Brock
05-07-2001, 05:18 PM
When some idiot plays the "Do you even watch sports" card.

Clint in Wichita
05-07-2001, 05:25 PM
People that have "Liberals vs. conservatives" on the brain...constantly.

milkman
05-07-2001, 05:34 PM
Having all of my biggest pet peeves listed before I even have a chance to start reading the pet peeve thread.

I don't envy any of you know it all, hot dog, showboating batiges that are computer literate. (I'd put a smiley face right here, 'ceptin I don't know how to do it, and can't remember where to find it.)

BIG_DADDY
05-07-2001, 05:44 PM
1. Over Taxation
2. Over Legislation
3. Rude People
4. People who can't drive

Tomahawk 11
05-07-2001, 06:06 PM
1. Property Tax

2. People that think the rules should only apply to the other guy

3. Eating anywhere in my general vicinity while I am trying to concentrate on something

4. Democrats

5. Republicans

(the last two in no particular order)

6. (What the hell... I feel like getting bad mouthed) People that don't give any credit to Law Enforcement.

7. Blatant Hypocrits.

8. N'Sync

TheFly
05-07-2001, 11:22 PM
5. Homeowner's Associations

4. Eminem

3. Migraine headaches

2. Bad teachers

1. People using cell phones while driving their SUV's (Strategic Urban Vehicles) on the freeways. Most dangerous bunch I've ever seen on the road!

alanm
05-08-2001, 11:22 AM
My, my people are certainly ticked off at my fellow officers it would seem this morning. I apoligize for all the men in blue who preform their duty. That said Traffic Division sucks!! Once in your career as a police officer with asperations to climb the ladder to Det. or higher must do time in traffic. It sucks and believe it or not there is such a thing as a quota. Traffic revenue fine money is a major source of $$ for your city or county. And if you repeatedly do not make your "quota" you will be "coached" and possibly written up. Gigged if you will. I still can't figure out why some guys want to spend the better part of their career there. I hated it.

KCTitus
05-08-2001, 11:44 AM
1. People who drive down the left lane and annoint themselves the official 'pace car' of the freeway.

2. People who have a sarcastic remark or barb for everything and get overly defensive when the medicine is returned.

3. People who engage in demagogeury or mantras that are nothing more than pop culture sound bites.

Iowanian
05-08-2001, 12:16 PM
Alan,

I agree that laws need to be enforced...But I'm tired of getting pulled over and having some punk@$$ acting like he just caught me ball deep in his wife instead of 5mph over the friggin speed limit. If they'd bust a few more meth labs I'm sure they'd find more money than my lousy ticket......

~someone a while back wished that the radar gun would cause a tumor the size of a basketball on traffic cops tiny nuts....I agree.

Nelson Muntz
05-08-2001, 01:14 PM
Yes cops do too have a quota. Maybe not where you're from but they most certainly do here. If cops are so worried about creating revenue for their city, why don't they bust the meth labs instead of saying "There's nothing we can do about it"? They know for a d*mn fact that certain houses are producing meth, sellin crack and weed yet they can't do anything about it. But they will follow you around for 20 minutes and pull you over for piddly sh*t like no turn signal and then treat you like you just flew through a red light on main street at 100 mph. That's why i have no respect for cops. They act like they are f*ckin gods. Now I will admit not every cop is like this but almost every cop that has pulled me over has been a complete prick.

Mi_chief_fan
05-08-2001, 01:35 PM
1. Bronco fans complaining that their schedule is 'tough'.
2. Jon Gruden on People magazine's 50 most beautiful people's list.
3. People with 'expert' advice on how to fix our countries educational problems, when they have no background in the field.
4. Over-inflated ego's.
5. Upper middle class & wealthy people who think that if your poor, your lazy.
6. F.I.P's(that's f'***ing Illinois people) coming up to Michigan, polluting our beaches, buying lakefront property, then b*itching about paying taxes on it.(Kudos, I say, to the cops writing them tickets for driving 100+mph on our highways).
7. Angry Royals fans.(Sorry, Mark M ;) ).
8. Officiating in Pro Sports. More incompetant than politicians.
9. People trying to help me find Jesus. (I didn't know he was lost.)
10. When my answering machine is full of messages from solicitors.

California Injun
05-08-2001, 02:44 PM
My Pops was a CHP officer long before that flyboy Erik Estrada (Poocherella) denigrated the public's opinions on what a Highway Patrol Officer did.

With that said, I will impart some wisdom upon you poor souls that get nicked by the local police for minor infractions. These tips came directly from my Pops and have alowed me to work my way out of tickets 90% of the time.

A - When the cop flips on the light, you did something stupid. He's not "picking on you". Get over it the minute you pull over to the shoulder or these other tips will not do you any good. Your initial attitude will determine the chances of getting a ticket 99% of the time.

B - Immediately fess up that you did it!! Given that the other 98% of the idiots will start bitching and whining the minute the officer approaches, your mea culpa will be refreshing.

C - Even if you think you did not do it, admit that you did. Here is an example;

" I honestly didn't think I was going that fast but if you saw me going 70 then I have no doubt that you are correct."

D - It is always a nice touch to have your license, registration and insurance readily available to hand over to the officer. Why dick around with him? If you are that unorganized and he has to wait, then it tilts over to a probable ticket for basically being a knucklehead.

E - If he writes you a ticket after all this then just admit it was your time to get caught. DO NOT give him any reason to remember your face because if you plan on fighting it in court, you need all the help you can get.

If you pitch a b!tch and make a fool of yourself while calling him various names, the officer will make a small notation in his book about how you acted and may stick an asterisk for "probable court date".

I've talked my way out of numerous tickets by using these tips my Pops gave me. Given the numerous moving violations all of us do every freaking day, we should be thankful our licenses aren't suspended.

Iowanian
05-08-2001, 02:58 PM
I've been pulled over enough times over the years to know that for the most part what you say is true. I also know the difference between a guy stuck on the HWY doing his job and a D!ckhead with a 55gallon drum of Ego stuck up his arse...

I've gotten off of many tickets by passing the "attitude test"...my uncle was a county sheriff and drove the importance of that into me as a young driver.....I'm never rude and do my best to have everything and be cooperative.....

If a cop cuts me a break(even giving a seatbelt etc..instead, I thank them and will pay the fine)....But I'm telling you....I've run into the same guy twice in a year, I do dispute the speed he says I'm going, and highly suspect there were alot of tickets for 66mph that day....

I do dispute your advice to "admit it" though...that can and will be used against you in a court of law.

This particular fellow is a grade A dickhead...and may the radar gun shrivel his junk like a raisin and it fall off like a dried scab.

LapDog
05-08-2001, 06:59 PM
So much to say.

Iowanian -
You are correct about admitting you did it, but if you plan on plea-bargaining, it doesn't really matter. Might as well take the chance on the hope that you won't have to pay anything at all.

Injun -
I've read books on how to avoid speeding tickets and they all advise the same thing. I have no doubt that it's true because I get pulled over yearly and have never had any problems with officers with a 'tude. HOWEVER, I've NEVER talked myself out of a ticket. If you drive a Camaro or RX-7, you WILL be ticketed. If you have a radar detector, you WILL be ticketed.

Slim-Shady -
He said they DO have quotas, not they don't.

alanm and Tomahawk-
I knew somebody on here was an officer but didn't know who. I wasn't intending to target you guys. I realize that you have to do what you have to do. I will say the the MO Hwy. Patrol and KCMO police officers have all been very polite and professional when they pulled me over. Every last one of them. (it actually kind of pisses me off because it's hard to be mad at the individual officer so there is no target for my anger)

Still, I've known all along that the tickets are for revenue and that quotas are in place. It frustrates me because, effectively, my taxes are higher than your average citizen's, since I get more tickets. They should increase taxes instead and then just target dangerous drivers instead of those who speed. I also find it particularly frustrating that they target speeders only. I had to wait ten seconds after my light turned green the other day because three idiots entered the intersection after the light was red and then couldn't go anywhere because traffic on the cross road was stopped. It is very common in KC to see one car run the light while it's yellow, followed by two cars when it's red. I'm talking about one time out of four, not one out of twenty. Why not nail a bunch of those people? Traffic would flow smoother, and you'd still get your fine money. And you wouldn't have people dangerously running traffic lights. Why not fine the slow traffic in the left lane on the highway? I believe the law states that they are to move to the right. Hell, just give them warnings. Tell all the TV stations to tell them to move over. Just get them out of the left lane. That would cut aggressive driving immensely. Of course, aggressive driving isn't the real issue for the aggressive driving campaigns. It's money. So that makes me mad because not only am I getting more tickets at those times, but they are LYING about why they do it, AND they aren't even addressing the other issues that are important to me, (distracted driving and running traffic lights). It REALLY makes me angry. VERY ANGRY. If you want me to give law enforcement more respect, convince your superiors what a public relations nightmare they are creating.

Sorry for the rant. I've just never really had the opportunity to tell an officer what I think. Thank's for listening.

Clint-
Just like a liberal to say a thing like that :)

LapDog

alanm
05-09-2001, 01:34 AM
Lapdog, I did my stint in traffic years ago. And it's still not one of my more pleasant memories. I won't deny that there are a lot of pricks on the force. A lot of guys seem to be on some kind of ego/power trip. They watch too many damn movies and tv shows about what they think a cop should be.

Iowanian
05-09-2001, 10:51 AM
alan, I'm guessing you don't fit into the category I'm talking about...and thats a good thing.

Got this email today and thought it was relevant considering....;)Subject: How to handle a speeding ticket
>
>
> How To Handle a Speeding Ticket
>
>
> A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding and has the
following exchange:

Officer: May I see your driver's license?

Driver: I don't have one. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI.
>
> Officer: May I see the owner's card for this vehicle?
>
> Driver: It's not my car. I stole it.
>
> Officer: The car is stolen?
>
> Driver: That's right. But come to think of it, I think I saw the owner's
> card in the glove box when I was putting my gun in there.
>
> Officer: There's a gun in the glove box?
>
> Driver: Yes sir. That's where I put it after I shot and killed the woman
> who owns this car and stuffed her in the trunk.
>
> Officer: There's a BODY in the TRUNK?!?!?
>
> Driver: Yes, sir.
>
> Hearing this, the officer immediately called his captain. The car was
> quickly surrounded by police, and the captain approached the driver to
> handle the tense situation:
>
> Captain: Sir, can I see your license?
>
> Driver: Sure. Here it is.
>
> It was valid.
>
> Captain: Who's car is this?
>
> Driver: It's mine, officer. Here's the owner's
> card.
>
> The driver owned the car.
>
> Captain: Could you slowly open your glove box so I can see if there's a
> gun in it?
>
> Driver: Yes, sir, but there's no gun in it.
>
> Sure enough, there was nothing in the glove box.
>
> Captain: Would you mind opening your trunk? I was told you said there's
> a body in it.
>
> Driver: No problem.
>
Trunk is opened; no body.

Captain: I don't understand it. The officer who stopped you said you
told him you didn't have a license, stole the car, had a gun in the glove

box, and that there was a dead body in the trunk.

Driver: Yeah, I'll bet the lying s.o.b. told you I
was speeding, too

Mark M
05-09-2001, 11:02 AM
Mi--
What's the matter with being an angry Royals fan?? As I watch my team lose in the last three innings every night, I get even more pissed off!! With a little revenure sharing and a salary cap, they could compete. You know, what really upsets me is ... okay, I'll stop now. Perhaps at another time I'll finish.

As far as pet-peeves about the board in general, there are only two:

1. Packfan
2. The fact I can't get on at work except at lunch for fear of being fired.

Speaking of which ...

MM
~~Time for him to go now.

BIG_DADDY
05-09-2001, 11:34 AM
Is anybody else having problems posting sometimes?

Tribal Warfare
05-09-2001, 11:37 AM
Yes, Kyle is trying to tack on more memory for the server.

Pitt Gorilla
05-09-2001, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by California_Injun
If you are that unorganized and he has to wait, then it tilts over to a probable ticket for basically being a knucklehead.

Why does this not suprise me.....I once had a cop try to ticket me for going 68 in a 70. He said I passed him, so I must have been speeding. Never mind that this poor left tail of the distribution dweller had just entered traffic from an on ramp. Anyway, I asked to see the radar and he refused, stating that he would let me off anyway. I wonder why?;)

cjderby
05-09-2001, 03:13 PM
Lapdog,
I hope you realize that the solution to your "unfair taxation" situation is fully under your control, don't speed!! And this isn't coming from some left-lane-blocking snail, I just got a ticket for 62 in a 45 last week. But I knew the risks, and I accept the consequences. Nobody else's fault by mine (damn motorcycle cop!). Not trying to come down on you, just sounds like you're pointing your finger at others and not owning up to your own choices, which is one of my pet peeves! Peace!! :)

LapDog
05-09-2001, 03:28 PM
cjderby-

Fair enough! Actually, I'm aware that I'm choosing to pay more by speeding. When I speed, I always ask myself "Am I willing to risk a ticket today?". I don't mind an occasional ticket.

The thing that makes me mad is when the law enforcement agencies in KC have an 'aggressive driving week'. They do this once or twice a year. Overland Park pulls the same kind of crap. They bring in Highway patrolmen and set up speed traps all over the city. And they do it all week long. They don't post officers on street corners at intersections to catch people running red lights. They specifically target speeders without regard to the other moving violations. In my mind, that's like targetting cat burglars who break into empty houses, but letting the armed convenience store robbers go scott free. They should target speeders one time but target light runners another time. Don't always target speeders, because they aren't necessarily the problem.

On a side note, the thing that really frustrates me is I think a lot of people just write you off as soon as they learn that you speed, as if that somehow entirely invalidates your argument.

LD

aturnis
05-09-2001, 03:36 PM
People who don't like mullets.......MULLETS RULE!!! :()

cjderby
05-09-2001, 03:46 PM
Lapdog,
I agree with alot of your points. I know I feel I'm less of a threat going with the flow and taking what the traffic pattern gives me speedwise than both the super-aggressive and super-passive drivers. And the few years I lived in St. Louis, it was a given that the yellow (and some red) belongs to the left-turners. Hell, if you were a left-turner and DIDN'T use that yellow/red, you'd get rear-ended!! George Carlin has a bit on that; three cars turn left on a yellow. The 1st car gets out as far as possible, the 2nd gets on the 1st's butt, and that allows the 3rd to get his front wheels over the line, pretty funny to hear him tell it!

BTW, my biggest pet peeve driving-wise are people who don't understand the whole concept behind merging. I've literally seen cars here in Wichita STOP at the end of on-ramps and THEN check the traffic. AARGHH!! And then there are the jerks who won't move over a lane!! I'd better stop, my blood pressure is rising.....

Mark M
05-09-2001, 07:13 PM
LapDog--
You should've tried growing up in Raytown. Those cops are the worst. As a teenager, we were target #1 ... followed closely by any minority.

MM
~~Glad he moved.

LapDog
05-09-2001, 07:20 PM
MM,

:)
I've heard that. I have a friend who grew up in Raytown.

The whole teenager thing seems to be a recurring theme. I've had many officers seem disappointed when they discover the guy in the Camaro they just pulled over is a middle-aged guy wearing Dockers. One even seemed almost apologetic as soon as he say me. Bastard still gave me a ticket for not using my signal, though.

LapDog

aturnis
05-09-2001, 10:52 PM
One word........TROLLS!!!

ct
05-10-2001, 10:13 AM
1) Telemarketers
2) PMS, yeah you know what I'm talkin about!!
3) Meetings, meetings, more meetings
4) Brown-nosers
5) Fat people at fast-food joints ordering complete CRAP, and lots of it...and a Diet Coke!! :rolleyes: DUH!!

ct

aturnis
05-10-2001, 04:23 PM
Lars Ulrich....for starting a revolt against my favorite file sharing program......Napster. Also all the others taking action against Napster.

old_geezer
05-10-2001, 07:49 PM
Coryt

All things may not be as they seem. Your 5th peeve was fat people ordering crap and a diet soda. While I'm not ready to label myself as fat just yet I am guilty of ordering massive amounts of calories and a diet coke. My reason is simple; I have yet to find a pop that I like and diet anything really doesn't taste like pop.

My own pet peeve is women who carry "purses" that should carry the Samsonite label. Then you have to wait for them to locate their change in the bottem quadrant of the southern sector to pay for whatever they are buying.