PDA

View Full Version : CNN/Youtube Debate Back On......

recxjake
08-12-2007, 10:02 PM
The GOP YouTube Debate Is Back On

This just in: The Republican CNN/YouTube debate, in limbo for the past few weeks, is on again.

But Mitt Romney, who won Saturday's Iowa straw poll and has criticized the debate format, has yet to commit to the Nov. 28 event.

Romney, the lone GOP holdout, has posted more videos on his YouTube channel (283 as of Sunday afternoon) than any other presidential candidate, Republican or Democrat. But he has resisted the debate, in which videotaped questions are submitted through YouTube. In an interview with Manchester Union Leader, Romney said, "I think the presidency ought to be held at a higher level than having to answer questions from a snowman."

That drew a video response from Billiam, the snowman who questioned the Democrats on global warming last month in their YouTube debate. This time, he riffed on another Romney quote from the campaign: "Lighten up slightly."

Sources at CNN said the debate, co-hosted with the Republican Party of Florida, will be held at the Mahaffey Theatre in St. Petersburg. Steve Grove, head of news and politics at YouTube, said that more than 1,100 videos have been submitted, and the popular video-sharing site will allow YouTube users to upload their videos until Nov. 27.

The process is the same as the Democratic debate in Charleston, S.C.: Questions can't be more than 30 seconds long, and CNN's political team, led by Washington bureau chief David Bohrman, will select the 30 or so videos for the debate. CNN drew some criticism for including the Billiam question, but Bohrman, the mastermind of the YouTube-CNN marriage, defended the call in a recent interview with The Washington Post: "It was a really good question, and it was funny. I think running for president is serious business ... but we do want to know that the president has a sense of humor."

Many of the questions already submitted for the GOP candidates, from a diverse set of YouTubers, are thoughtful. A 21-year-old asks the thrice-married Rudy Giuliani if he really has the character for the presidency. A 26-year-old Mormon asks Romney, also a Mormon, to explain his changing views on abortion. A 69-year-old asks how the candidates to detail their plans to reduce the size of the U.S. government.

Per Drudgereport.com

HolmeZz
08-12-2007, 10:32 PM
If Rudy gets a tough question that he has trouble with, are you gonna blame CNN for setting him up, Jake?

recxjake
08-13-2007, 12:05 PM
If Rudy gets a tough question that he has trouble with, are you gonna blame CNN for setting him up, Jake?

I hope they ask the tough questions...

When are the Democrats going to be brave enough to take on Fox News?

HolmeZz
08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I hope they ask the tough questions...

I mean ones where Rudy won't be able to work 9/11 into the answer.

When are the Democrats going to be brave enough to take on Fox News?

Dunno. Not sure why you'd have a problem with them skipping that though, as you originally tried to rationalize the Republicans canceling the youtube debate.

Cochise
08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Excellent. The candidates can be questioned by snowmen. Democracy is saved.

recxjake
08-13-2007, 01:39 PM
I mean ones where Rudy won't be able to work 9/11 into the answer.

Dunno. Not sure why you'd have a problem with them skipping that though, as you originally tried to rationalize the Republicans canceling the youtube debate.

Snowmen and Brit Hume are quite different.

HolmeZz
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
You'd actually be surprised at how similar they are.