PDA

View Full Version : Global warming blamed for bridge collapse

Cochise
08-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Gold from Clinton front group the Center for American Progress:

Did Climate Change Contribute To The Minneapolis Bridge Collapse?

The thought didn’t cross my mind until my Minneapolis-based brother suggested it. I had asked him for his thoughts on the collapse, and that is the question he posed.

I was skeptical at first, but after doing a Google search

LMAO

— and after NBC reported Sunday that National Transportation Safety Board investigators are “looking at everything” including “the weather” — I think it is a legitimate question to ask.

First, though, why is it an important question to ask? NASA’s James Hansen says we are on the verge of turning the earth into “a different planet” thanks to uncontrolled greenhouse gas emissions. We’ve seen the Brits and Chinese link recent flooding tragedies driven by extreme weather to climate change.

We are all facing far more extreme heat waves, floods, wildfires, rainstorms, droughts and hurricanes — yet our infrastructure apparently can’t handle the weather we have today, as Hurricane Katrina revealed.

LMAO - I know, I remember the good old days, when category 5 hurricanes didn't damage anything.

If we don’t adopt aggressive actions to prevent catastrophic climate change, we need to seriously climate-proof our electric grid, our levees, and our water and sewage systems.

The question remains, do we need to climate-proof our bridges, does a connection exist between climate change and the collapse of the I-35W bridge? Consider what a meteorologist who worked in the city for years blogged:

Now the questions begin. Why did this happen? Structural integrity will obviously be a huge concern. Minnesota experiences extreme temperature fluctuations throughout the year and this summer has been extremely hot and humid. During my time working there, road buckling from extreme heat was very common. You have to wonder if the bridge buckled.

And consider the remarkable conclusion of one Minneapolis resident:

Several eyewitnesses reported seeing what looked like “explosions” coming up from the concrete roadway just prior to the collapse.

Uh oh! "Explosions"? Where's Taco?

I am reasonably certain that authorities and investigators will find that the extreme heat of the last several days in Minneapolis had caused the expansion joints in the bridge to close completely. When this happens, the pressure building up between the sections of concrete can amount to thousands of pounds per square-inch.

No one could have anticipated 90 degree heat in the summer. Neither could anyone have anticipated a maintenance problem on a bridge that had been rated as structurally deficient for nearly 20 years. Sounds meritorious to me.

The article starts getting long here, but here are a couple more highlights:

“You wonder if this bridge was built to withstand the massive heat we have had this summer.”

"My brother also wonders if the low level of the Mississippi played a role."

90 degrees is "massive heat"!

Bridges are designed to depend on water for support!

You can read it all here:

http://climateprogress.org/2007/08/06/did-climate-change-contribute-to-the-minneapolis-bridge-collapse/

I knew as soon as I heard about this that before long it would be blamed on global warming, so I thought I'd post this example for all of your amusement.

It's a fun read, but it's also a shameless attempt by this environmentalist nut to cash in on this tragedy. There's no evidence given at all, but here we are presented with these images of "superhurricanes", crumbling bridges, raging wildfires, floods and droughts (at the same time, apparently), and based on the cover of the guy's book, rising oceans and such.

Silock
08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
My faith in humanity just dropped to record levels.

Baby Lee
08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-070807bridge,0,1625840.story

Still, the collapse was something Somalis never expected to witness in their new homeland. And it has some wondering if the American government has misplaced its priorities by ignoring a decaying national infrastructure in favor of its costly foreign policy.

"Instead of building bridges, they spent more on invading countries," said Abbi Osman, a young Somali who came to Minnesota four years ago and was watching buddies play dominoes Tuesday in a Somali coffee shop. "They are investing in the wrong places."

The collapse too adds to uneasy feelings among Somalis who say they have felt a federal backlash since Sept. 11, 2001 not only because of their Muslim faith but also because Somalia has been accused of harboring terrorists associated with Osama bin Laden. The bridge collapse has added jitters for Somalis who in recent years regrouped and rallied around one another.

BucEyedPea
08-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Blowback! :shake:

StcChief
08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I guess old bridges collapse when not replaced.

The Washington MO bridge at highway 47. Was shut down for inspection (because of Minn bridge). Reopened to lighter traffic (smaller trucks) load....

100+ degrees here.....

Do the maintenance on your infastructure and quit finding excuses. GW is BS for the out dated bridge.

BucEyedPea
08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
My brother is a structural engineer and has worked on numerous public works projects such as bridges ( in NY in particular) and he told me in 1997 that our bridges are in serious need of repair; that it's a catastrophe just waiting to happen.

StcChief
08-13-2007, 04:49 PM
My brother is a structural engineer and has worked on numerous public works projects such as bridges ( in NY in particular) and he told me in 1997 that our bridges are in serious need of repair; that it's a catastrophe just waiting to happen.

This is old news that politicos have be sweeping under the rug for years.

MO has some of the worst bridges, replaced over time or shut down.

but plenty of money for everything else.

patteeu
08-13-2007, 07:24 PM
My faith in humanity just dropped to record levels.

As a result of global warming, no doubt.

Silock
08-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I laughed so hard, I peed a little. Rep!

Chief Henry
08-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Bush is da devbil.

Cochise
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM

LMAO

Calcountry
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I knew we were in for some real crap as soon as the Democrats got control of Congress. Immediately, they began running PSA's about global warming on T.V.

Congress controls the purse, and they needed to get the seeds sewed about their newest cause with which to control the masses.