PDA

View Full Version : Can someone talk me through....

luv
08-13-2007, 03:26 PM
...downloading a torrent and recording it? PM me please.

luv
~slightly computer ignorant

Jenson71
08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
luv, I just did my first torrent downloads last week with Hard Knocks. And on that thread, there's a lot of information there.

Basically, I've gotten this far:

You download a program like this: http://www.utorrent.com/

After that's done, you go to a website like this: http://thepiratebay.org/

Find what you want (Grey's Anatomy Season 3) and download that torrent using the utorrent program.

htismaqe
08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
I assume you're trying to watch the Hard Knocks torrent. It's recorded in Xvid format, I believe. You need an XVid decoder to watch it, and a DVD encoder to record it.

I have all the programs on my home PC, I can't remember what they are and I'm on the road.

luv
08-13-2007, 04:34 PM
luv, I just did my first torrent downloads last week with Hard Knocks. And on that thread, there's a lot of information there.

Basically, I've gotten this far:

You download a program like this: http://www.utorrent.com/

After that's done, you go to a website like this: http://thepiratebay.org/

Find what you want (Grey's Anatomy Season 3) and download that torrent using the utorrent program.
Okay. I'm trying this. We'll see how it goes. So far, so good, though.

luv
08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
How long should it take to download a 54 minute program?

luv
08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow. I started downloading at 5:30 or so, and I'm just to 43%.

Count Zarth
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
You probably don't have your ports set up correctly.

luv
08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
There's a very good chance you're right. Basically because I have no clue what you're talking about. I downloaded one program, then went to the other website and started downloading.

Count Zarth
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
How many seeds are there? What's your download speed?

luv
08-13-2007, 08:34 PM
How many seeds are there? What's your download speed?
Seeds - currently 7 (17)
Down Speed - currently varying between 30-40 kB/s

Count Zarth
08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah...shitty. Are you using a router?

luv
08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah...shitty. Are you using a router?
A router? No. THe only router I know of is in the wireless internet I've got. I have an adapter, and my apartment building has the router. Other than that, no clue.

I'm not too worried about it (except if it doesn't work, and I have to try again). Now that I know what I'm doing with my DVD recorder, I won't miss the next episode. I'm hoping not to have to do this again, and I'm hoping I get it right the first time.

Count Zarth
08-13-2007, 09:28 PM
If your apartment building is using a router, you're probably out of luck then. They'd have to open the ports.

luv
08-13-2007, 09:40 PM
If your apartment building is using a router, you're probably out of luck then. They'd have to open the ports.
I'm just over 70% there. Downhill slide!

angel
08-13-2007, 09:44 PM

I am also brand new to this whole thing, and I really want to see this show.

What are ports, and how do I set them up correctly?

Jenson71
08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
If you're downloading an HBO program, make sure you have a guardian, otherwise representives of the company will sue you, and you're likely headed to prison.

Guru
08-13-2007, 10:38 PM
I assume you're trying to watch the Hard Knocks torrent. It's recorded in Xvid format, I believe. You need an XVid decoder to watch it, and a DVD encoder to record it.

I have all the programs on my home PC, I can't remember what they are and I'm on the road.

Unless your DVD player is DIVX compatible. If it is, you can just burn the existing torrent to a CD and play it. Supports both DIVX and XVID

Fruit Ninja
08-13-2007, 10:38 PM
If your getting slow down speeds its nothing with your computer or ports usually. It has to do with other people's bandwidths your leeching from.

Some torrents are slow while others are fast.

luv
08-13-2007, 11:29 PM
95.2%

I can taste it!

Fruit Ninja
08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
95.2%

I can taste it!
What are you downloading?

luv
08-13-2007, 11:54 PM
What are you downloading?
Hard Knocks...and I'm done!

luv
08-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Can I change it from the TPB file type?

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Hard Knocks...and I'm done!
now your going to get addicted, becuase everything on tv you can download. hehe

luv
08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
now your going to get addicted, becuase everything on tv you can download. hehe
I'm able to open it and watch it. Just trying to burn it now.

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2007, 01:04 AM
my dvd burner took a shit somehow. i dont even use it that much, but making them into dvd's is a tad more complicated. Hope you figureit out;)

luv
08-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Great. Turns out I can play DVD's on my computer, but I can't record. :banghead:

luv
08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Good news, I can record on my laptop. Now, to get this damn thing from my tower to my laptop...lol.

I'm done for tonight. 'Night Planet.

luv
08-14-2007, 11:47 AM
This file is obviously to big to send to myself in an email. I tried uploading it to a site, but couldn't get it to upload. Is there any other way of transferring this file from my tower to my laptop without a portable device? I have a CAT cable. Would that work?

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2007, 11:52 AM
May have to network the computers together and do it. Its a pain in the ass if you dont knwo what your doing.

Saulbadguy
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Most new(er) routers have uPNP that allows BitTorrent to function through a firewall.

Saulbadguy
08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
This file is obviously to big to send to myself in an email. I tried uploading it to a site, but couldn't get it to upload. Is there any other way of transferring this file from my tower to my laptop without a portable device? I have a CAT cable. Would that work?
You would need a CROSSOVER cable, which i'm assuming is not what you have. It looks like a "CAT" cable, but is wired differently.

Then you would need to connect the 2 computers via the cable, turn on Microsoft file and print sharing, make sure they are in the same workgroup (easy) and then share the file from the tower and copy it to your laptop.

luv
08-14-2007, 12:00 PM
You would need a CROSSOVER cable, which i'm assuming is not what you have. It looks like a "CAT" cable, but is wired differently.

Then you would need to connect the 2 computers via the cable, turn on Microsoft file and print sharing, make sure they are in the same workgroup (easy) and then share the file from the tower and copy it to your laptop.
No, I have my own CAT cable that I purchased to take with me on trips to hook my laptop up to the high-speed in hotels ('just in case' type of thing). It's definitely not what you're talking about.

I'm trying to upload it to a hosting site again. I seem to be having better luck with it today. I'm hoping it works. If not, I'm hoping that a friend of mine has one of those thumb drive things that he'll let me borrow. I really don't want to have to buy anything in order to do this just this once. We'll see, though.

htismaqe
08-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Most new(er) routers have uPNP that allows BitTorrent to function through a firewall.

While it's convenient, I'm loathe to recommend that you do anything with uPnP other than disable it...

htismaqe
08-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Great. Turns out I can play DVD's on my computer, but I can't record. :banghead:

Is it because your DVD drive can only read, not write?

luv
08-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Is it because your DVD drive can only read, not write?
Yeah, my computer has a CD/DVD combo drive. I can write CD's, but I don't have the capability of writing DVD's. I checked, and my laptop has a DVD-RW drive.

My friend is letting me use his flash drive. My uploading to the hosting site is going well, but I'd never get it downloaded onto my laptop withought it falling asleep. He's a lifesaver!

Delano
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Taking this one step further..

Once a person downloaded all of the episodes of a certain training camp television program, how can they burn them onto a DVD?

As far as I know, the person's DVD player does not support DVIX.

htismaqe
08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Taking this one step further..

Once a person downloaded all of the episodes of a certain training camp television program, how can they burn them onto a DVD?

As far as I know, the person's DVD player does not support DVIX.

Like I said earlier on this thread, I'm on the road right now, so this will be sketchy. I can firm this up when I get home and can look through my programs.

First, these videos are in Xvid format, there are a multitude of Xvid/Divx decoders out there that you can use to convert it to AVI format.

Then get a program called AVI2DVD and it will take the AVI and create a DVD image file for you.

Finally, there's a 3rd program that I use to burn the actual DVD.

Count Zarth
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
NeroVision encodes and burns for me. Does a great job.

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;10

Pretty much everything you need to know to be a Jack Sparrow.

htismaqe
08-14-2007, 03:13 PM
NeroVision encodes and burns for me. Does a great job.

Is it free? ;)

luv
08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Is it free? ;)
Is there one that is without either only doing 70% of the file or putting a watermark on your dvd?

Fruit Ninja
08-15-2007, 12:50 AM
THey are never free, but if you do torrent searches you can find them for free. Maybe not legal, but free. haha

htismaqe
08-15-2007, 06:03 AM
I use 3 programs, they're all free, they work, and there's no watermarks.

I'll get them for you when I get home today.

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 06:36 AM
While it's convenient, I'm loathe to recommend that you do anything with uPnP other than disable it...
I don't think it is that big of a risk to leave it enabled for the average home user, provided you have security on the desktop as well.

htismaqe
08-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't think it is that big of a risk to leave it enabled for the average home user, provided you have security on the desktop as well.

The problem is that most people are using it with their router, which is also wireless. And they're not securing the wireless properly.

Wireless + uPnP = big problem

Archie F. Swin
08-15-2007, 07:38 AM
so you can use Utorrent to DL the file, but not watch the show? I'm a little foggy on this torrent thing. I've had Hard knocks loaded for a few days now and haven;t seen a second of it

Saulbadguy
08-15-2007, 07:54 AM
The problem is that most people are using it with their router, which is also wireless. And they're not securing the wireless properly.

Ah. That's true. Alot of the wireless routers in my neighborhood have a WEP key (heh), but they broadcast the SSID, they don't change the administrator password on the thing, and don't apply a MAC filter.

htismaqe
08-15-2007, 10:32 AM
so you can use Utorrent to DL the file, but not watch the show? I'm a little foggy on this torrent thing. I've had Hard knocks loaded for a few days now and haven;t seen a second of it

Exactly.

A torrent file is really just a pointer that allows you to download some other file, in this case a video file.

This video file is in Xvid/Divx format, meaning you can't play it with Windows Media Player or other player without a Xvid/Divx filter.

Futhermore, you need to translate it from Xvid/Divx to DVD format in order to burn it/watch it on your DVD player.

luv
08-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Exactly.

A torrent file is really just a pointer that allows you to download some other file, in this case a video file.

This video file is in Xvid/Divx format, meaning you can't play it with Windows Media Player or other player without a Xvid/Divx filter.

Futhermore, you need to translate it from Xvid/Divx to DVD format in order to burn it/watch it on your DVD player.
And I'd be able to change the format with what program?

htismaqe
08-15-2007, 10:54 AM
And I'd be able to change the format with what program?

I'll get you the programs tonight when I get home.

luv
08-15-2007, 11:04 AM
I'll get you the programs tonight when I get home.
Ah. For some reason, I was thinking you were already there. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Fruit Ninja
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM

yep, have to set up that password. I just disable it. if i need to use a wireless i enable it.

htismaqe
08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
OK, I'm at home.

The program you want is called AVI2DVD. It will take an AVI file and create a DVD file out of it. Then download a program called ImgBurn to burn the DVD file to DVD.

www.afterdawn.com/guides has everything you need.

luv
08-17-2007, 10:47 AM
OK, I'm at home.

The program you want is called AVI2DVD. It will take an AVI file and create a DVD file out of it. Then download a program called ImgBurn to burn the DVD file to DVD.

www.afterdawn.com/guides has everything you need.
I can't get the software to download.

At least not on my tower. I'm downloading it onto my laptop just fine. Weird.

luv
08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Okay. It wants me to choose an audio stream, but there are no choices in the drop down menu.

luv
08-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone? I'm to the point now where I just want to get the damned thing done!