PDA

View Full Version : Chester The Molester Speaks...

The Bad Guy
05-07-2001, 01:14 PM
Chester McHamburger never would speak to the KC media, but now he's deciding to break the silence to the Denver Post.

Here is the link and the article.

If you want a good laugh about this guy, read it.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,86%7E30631,00.html

McGlockton defends himself

Tackle counters remarks from ESPN's Devaney

By Adam Schefter
Denver Post Post Sports Writer

Monday, May 07, 2001 - Weighing in at 352 pounds, Chester McGlockton is the heaviest starting defensive lineman in Denver Broncos history. He also has become a mighty big target.

Broncos defensive lineman Chester McGlockton, right, fights off a block by center Quentin Neujahr during the last day of minicamp (J. Leyba)

Last month, former San Diego Chargers director of player personnel Billy Devaney, working for ESPN as an NFL draft analyst, applauded each of the Broncos' offseason moves - except one.

Devaney blasted the Broncos for signing McGlockton, whom he candidly accused of being a negative locker room influence.

About which McGlockton shrugs.

"He has the right to say whatever he wants to say," McGlockton said during the Broncos' three-day minicamp, which wrapped up Sunday. "I can't go against what people think of me. That's fine.

"And the San Diego Chargers, they've done well, haven't they? He did well down there, I guess. So there you go."

Just as Devaney lost his job after last season, so did McGlockton - the Kansas City Chiefs fired him. Whereas Devaney needed to go cross country to Bristol, Conn., to find work, McGlockton stayed within his division, continuing an AFC West tour that has taken him from Oakland to Kansas City, and now to Denver.

During the past six weeks, the Broncos have encountered a player different from the one Devaney dissed. McGlockton has attended each of the Broncos' offseason training sessions. He has cooperated with the media. And, teamed with Trevor Pryce, McGlockton has given the Broncos a tackle tandem tough enough to bring down most running backs and talented enough to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

"If you look down on paper, obviously we have one of the better teams in the league," McGlockton said. "If you look at coaching staffs, we have one of the better coaching staffs. If you look at organization, we have one of the best ones. So you would think that we have one of the best opportunities to win it all.

"You never know what's going to happen, but I believe in my heart we can win it all. That was the reason for me to come here, to try to win the Super Bowl. I want to win a championship, man. I don't set personal goals anymore. I don't need any of that stuff. I don't need 100 sacks. I don't need 50,000 tackles. I need a Super Bowl ring. That's what I want."

What the Broncos want is someone to help plug their middle, so their defense does not get Dillonated again this season. The Bengals' Corey Dillon broke Walter Payton's single-game rushing record against the Broncos last season, totaling 278 yards. The 6-foot-4 McGlockton, an unusual talent with unusual size, can be the player who prevents that. He continues to demonstrate attributes the Broncos are not accustomed to seeing in their linemen.

During one of Sunday's six 100-yard dashes, McGlockton finished ahead of 254-pound rookie defensive end Paul Toviessi.

"I told (Toviessi) that Chester only outweighed him by 100 pounds," coach Mike Shanahan said. "Chester has been working out pretty hard in the offseason program. Obviously, he's a big man, and to carry that weight with those 100-yard dashes was pretty impressive."

NFL personnel men such as Devaney have criticized McGlockton for not giving that type of effort more often. Yet as his AFC West tour heads into its third city, McGlockton insists he does not play to please others, only himself and his new team.

"People are going to say what they want to say," McGlockton said. "I tend to find myself trying to live up to the expectations I have for me and nobody else's. ... If I have to try to please everyone, it will never happen. So I never try.

"What I know is that if I play the way I'm capable of playing, which I thought I did last year and in Oakland, then I'm OK with that. And my expectations are pretty high for this year."

DaWolf
05-07-2001, 01:30 PM
"So I never try."

LOL...

LapDog
05-07-2001, 01:46 PM
LOL...

Exactly! I thought he was playing it pretty smart. Then I read the last two or three sentences.

Let's hope he doesn't bite is in the rear.
LapDog

Mile High Mania
05-07-2001, 01:51 PM
Well... realistically, you will never please everyone despite who you are and what you do. So, why try?

Kinda sounds like something Homer would tell Bart... but, it is true.

DanT
05-07-2001, 02:22 PM
Especially if who you are is a locker-room cancer and what you do is make your team's paywagon creak and groan.

htismaqe
05-07-2001, 03:18 PM
I don't know, but I have this weird feeling that for some reason, Chester's going to turn into a one man wrecking crew now that he's in Denver.

What is it about KC that just makes guys want to underperform?

KCTitus
05-07-2001, 03:21 PM
Parker: the 'ex' coaching staff?

Just a guess...

htismaqe
05-07-2001, 03:30 PM
Don't talk about the ex-coaching staff, otherwise we'll be watching a Redskins-Titans SuperBowl wondering what the hell those guys were smoking when they were here...

DaWolf
05-07-2001, 03:31 PM
According to Chester, he didn't underperform last year.

IMO, denver may or may not be any different. Remember, he was supposed to live up to his potentual here because supposedly Gun was the only one who could light a fire under his ***.

Maybe the third time's the charm. I have no doubt he'll have some good moments in Denver. But can he be consistent? Like Jim wrote in his article, if he took plays off in Oakland and in KC, what's he going to do in the mile high altitude?

KCTitus
05-07-2001, 03:35 PM
Parker: Im not worried about that at all. First, Marty is going with Jeff George. His OL is decimated, no OG's unless UDFA's are going to fill those gaps.

And S.Davis will have to 're-learn' how to run up that tiny hole in the middle of the O-Line.

People here in 'skins country are already confused by Marty's comments. You remember, saying one thing and doing another?

DaWolf
05-07-2001, 03:40 PM
The Skins are going to be very exciting this year, with all the screens they're going to throw to Donnell and whatnot...

KCTitus
05-07-2001, 03:49 PM
Oh yeah, totally forgot about Bennett. Well they needed a short yardage guy and he excels at gaining short yardage.

LOL!

ct
05-08-2001, 05:15 PM
People here in 'skins country are already confused by Marty's comments. You remember, saying one thing and doing another?

Seems to me that should be right up there alley. This is Washington DC we're talkin about, right?

Clint in Wichita
05-08-2001, 06:09 PM
This Chester hype sounds EXACTLY like it did when Chester arrived in KC.

352????? He never weighed that much in KC, where he SUCKED ARSE!!

Will Shields will use him like a receptacle.

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 07:48 PM
Bennett really sucked last year. I believe his yards per carry were less than our drop back QBs y/c.

Chester looked awesome in that first pre-season quarter in Japan. Then he hurt his back, and he only alternated flashing good and then horrible for the rest of the time. I am glad he is gone and hope he makes an *** of himself when we play Denver.

Frazod
05-08-2001, 08:35 PM
I still say the best way to defense Chester is to throw doughnuts down field behind him...

Of course, if they ever put frosting on the football, we're dead! :D

Chiefs Pantalones
05-08-2001, 08:41 PM
Its the Washington Chiefs (of old) I sware!

They got rid of FB Larry Centers (all time leading receptions for a FB) and sign Donnel Bennet?

CG

Marty and co. are going down...hard