PDA

View Full Version : Want to lower gas prices? Read this...

California Injun
05-07-2001, 01:32 PM
Since we're getting bent over on a daily basis by Big Oil, why not institute a minor change in our daily purchasing habits.

Boycott #1....... Exxon/Mobil

Just drive past this station and fill your car up at any station OTHER than Exxon/Mobil. Don't give in to a .02 cent difference in pricing (equates to 25 cents per fill up).

The rest of the USA has to band together and avoid using this company. It is a small change in our daily habits as we cannot avoid our dependence on gasoline.

By doing this, Exxon/Mobil will eventually start dropping their pricing to move inventory.

This may seem impossible for the small guys to make a difference but why not pass this along to your friends and see where it goes?

Besides, what other ideas are out there that don't involve radical living changes (i.e. ride a bike, take the bus, carpool, et al)

Boycott Exxon/Mobil.

Boycott #1.

morphius
05-07-2001, 01:38 PM
I sitll think the best way is to put the pictures of the CEO's on the news everynight and talk about the higher gas prices and that so and so had no comment on the situation.

I understand that some psycho may get upset enough to take one of these posers out, but that might make them rethink their 300% profit growth a year...

58Forever
05-07-2001, 03:13 PM
That's the **** that pisses me off the most...we read about OPEC not producing oil and the reserves are low but then EXXON/MOBIL posts record profits...something needs to be blown up....ever see a refinery go up in smoke?....

The fact is that they can get away with the overpricing as long as we buy the gas...I don't know of any person that can completely stop driving but if we cut down on our driving, we could make a differenc...geez, got a go get a coke, walk a block to the QT...don't jump in the car....

Frazod
05-07-2001, 06:10 PM
I personally boycott all the big stations, unless I have no choice (running out of gas, out in the middle of nowhere, etc.). I personally get my gas at Speedway or Marathon, or similar stations which tend to be much less expensive than the Amocos, Shells and Exxons of the world. There's an intersection near my house that has three gas stations on it - a Mobil, a Shell and a Marathon. The Marathon is always about 10 cents less a gallon - it amazes me that anyone is stupid enough to go to the expensive ones - I guess they're made of money.

And I personally wouldn't mind one bit if someone threw a bomb into the next Exxon board of directors meeting. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of thieving scumbags, and it just might get the attention of their replacements.

Lightning Rod
05-08-2001, 11:39 AM
I get this grand plan via e-mail about 3 times a week. Ever consider the possibility that the folks at Phillips thought this up:)

Really guys, if ya think the big bad oil companies are rakeing it in Shouldn't ya just buy some of their stock and get a piece of the action?

svuba
05-08-2001, 01:23 PM
What do you expect Gas prices to do when there is increasing demand, and decreasing supply?

It's simple economics, when supply is getting lower, and demand is growing prices will go up.

Another example for those who arent too quick.
You buy a house in an area that is experiencing rapid growth. 3 years down the road it is worth $50,000 more than what you paid for it----Why----Supply and demand.

Would you sell the house at less than market value because you feel sorry for the next buyer? NO, And the oil companies are not going to sell you gas for less than market value because they feel sorry for you!

It's called capitalism, and it is why you have a job.

The price is set by what the consumer will pay so stop crying. If you don't like $2/ gallon gas don't buy it, or find a way to use less of it.

KCTitus
05-08-2001, 01:30 PM
one other thing that affects the price of gas is the government regulation and restrictions.

Many areas will have to start using the 're-formulated' gasoline that is mandated by the EPA. This formula is not refined everywhere so there is a limited supply of it, which further increases the cost.

not to mention it's more expensive to produce.

oleman47
05-08-2001, 01:44 PM
svuba
is correct, higher prices will ration demand to fit supply. When this is ice cream the result is no big deal. The unique position of energy within our economy makes it hard to ration demand so the tendency is to go much higher by a factor of 200% than many other products. This is complicated by the fact that many products and services are directly influenced by higher energy costs. These will be rationed also, this creates loss of jobs and lesser consumption of energy dependent goods. Finally, energy prices come down.

Point, it is usually after the cut back in energy dependent services and goods that supply/demand regulates the price of energy. Of course, some will drive less, but this in itself will not likely be enough, for the biggest users can afford it. It is often labelled stagflation.

soliday
05-08-2001, 01:59 PM
Svuba,

If you shut down refining capacity without replacing it, much less expanding it, as the Big Oil has done over the last two decades you guarantee short supply eventually. You also guarantee super profits, as we've seen not just in the last year, but in the last several years. The "theory" of supply and demand isn't usually helpful when dealing with monopolies.

Soliday

California Injun
05-08-2001, 02:15 PM
svuba,

Your analyisis is too simplisitic about refraining from purchasing gas if we don't like it. That is an obvious short term adjustment to your transportation.

But what about the trickle down effects on the services and goods we buy?

Many people pass by the gas stations every day and can visibly watch the elevations posted up on the signs. What if the grocery stores implemented the same daily pricing on a loaf of bread?

Would you recommmend not buying bread if the prices were too high?

The average consumer is getting fleeced while his salary remains at the $1.25 a gallon level. This "supply and demand" propaganda spewing from Big Oil is a crock.

Exxon and others can control supply all they want but I find it interesting that their profits are going through the roof during this crisis. Why is that?

If the oil is costing them .20 more a gallon then why the .50 - .75 a gallon increase for the consumer?

Capitalism you say?

How about a monopoly...

KCTitus
05-08-2001, 02:33 PM
Exxon and others can control supply all they want but I find it interesting that their profits are going through the roof during this crisis. Why is that?

It is quite simple...because demand is unaffected even though the price is rising. This means that even though the retail price of gas has increased demand has not waned.

The ultimate controllers of supply are the OPEC countries. They have been lowering supply for quite some time. Over 50% of our oil comes from foreign sources and if they cut supply, it affects the price.

Supply and demand 'propoganda'....sheesh....Trust Market Economies more and Goverment less.

morphius
05-08-2001, 02:37 PM
svuba - I have also heard that the supply is actually going up, but the prices have not dropped. So your view on supply and demand is absolutly the wrong conclusion in this one, because if it were fact then shouldn't prices be going down now?

KCTitus
05-08-2001, 02:41 PM
Morph: LTNS...supply of what? Oil, Gas, re-forumlated gas?

LapDog
05-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by frazod
And I personally wouldn't mind one bit if someone threw a bomb into the next Exxon board of directors meeting.

Frazod!

I'd think you would have learned your lesson by now.
:)

oleman47
05-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know how much gasoline consumption is saved by lower speed limits?

chief52
05-08-2001, 09:39 PM
Just because the sign does not say Exxon or Mobile does not mean they are not selling their gas. That is why this type of boycott will never work! Across the street from Mobile may be Joe's Gas...and he could very well still be pumping Mobile or Exxon. The name on the station does not tell you anything about where the fuel actually came from! Good thought, but bad idea.

WackyRuss
05-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Forget about the environment, let's drill some oil in Alaska.

Rausch
05-08-2001, 09:55 PM
The real problem is that Americans are LAZY! We'll talk the talk, but we WON'T walk...THey know it, you'll all cave, and eventually, so will I...

Now, in an imaginary hypothetical world where everyone actually DOES what they say, what would happen if for only 1 MONTH no one bought gas? Just a month? Ride a bike, catch a cab, take the bus, walk your lazy @$$, whatever....

They would lower rates...Problem is, we don't live in that kind of world, no one actually does anything anymore unless somehow it screws with thier Seinfeld reruns or Brittney Spears MTV programming...

This country doesn't act anymore...WHere are those hippies when ya' need 'em!?!

WackyRuss
05-08-2001, 10:00 PM
"catch a cab" what a stupid idea

Herzig
05-08-2001, 10:03 PM
I know I am not going to be very popular with this opinion because these vehicles are "fashionable" to own nowadays. These vehicles are increasing America's thirst for gasoline. We use more fuel than any nation in the world. Until we develop a fuel alternative we will always be dependent on the terrorist towel-heads in the Middle East. Unless you have large family, use these vehicles in your line of work, or literally need them to get to your home, there is no need to own one.

FORE!!!

Rausch
05-08-2001, 10:05 PM
and paying $2.00 for gas is a GOOD idea? What is a better one? What's your idea?

svuba
05-09-2001, 10:04 AM
Two More Comments:

1. California Injun: Eating a loaf of bread is somthing that is neccessary for survival. We would all be irate if the price of food doubled. It would make it difficult for us to survive.

Driving your 6500 lb F350 that is Lifted 8" with 35" Mickey Thompsons to work everyday is not neccesary for survival. It seems that the people who are the biggest consumers of gasoline are the ones who cry the most about gas prices. I do not feel sorry at all for people that consume 10 times as much gas as they need to by driving outrageous vehicles, and huge boats, and then complain about gasoline prices. If your business requires you to use large amounts of gasoline then you will probably have to raise your prices.

2. Gasoline prices in 1980 were $1.40 - 20 years later they are $2.00 - so unless you have not gotten a raise for the last 20 years gas is still cheap. In fact if you took the gas price 20 years ago, and adjusted it ONLY for inflation we would be paying $2.53. So gasoline prices have actually gone down in relation to everything else. - -

KCTitus
05-09-2001, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know how much gasoline consumption is saved by lower speed limits? - ZERO. It's a myth. You will still travel the same distance so your vehicle will burn the necessary amount of gas that it requires to propel itself and you to your destination.

Wow, economics and physics...

Wacky: I thought you were leaving due to 'lack' of Football topics. BTW, this isnt a football topic.

savchief
05-09-2001, 10:34 AM
Sorry KCTitus, you're wrong. The difference in driving 55 mph vs. 65 mph is 3-5 miles per gallon. so if we have the same car both with one gallon of gas I will go at least 3 miles farther than you if I drive 55 and you're driving 65. Just because you get there faster doesn't mean a thing. Speed does matter in fuel efficiency. The energy required to get through the increased air resistance at higher speeds has always been one of the main factors car companies have had to deal with. That's why all the cars look like flattened blobs now, better aerodynamics

KCTitus
05-09-2001, 10:48 AM
ok...so now let's get back to reality for a second.

how many people drive the same speed for a constant period? Even with cruise control, your car speeds up and slows down as needed to go up hills and down hills.

Factoring that in, let alone the fact that speed limits are nothing more than revenue enhancers for the localities, and I dont see any difference.

KCTitus
05-09-2001, 10:50 AM
Furthering the logic...imagine how much gas we could save by setting the SL at 25MPH?

savchief
05-09-2001, 10:48 PM
Geez...someone asked if lower speed limits save gas...you said it saves zero that it's a myth. It's not. That's reality. Speed up, slow down, cruise control, whatever-if someone averages 55 and someone else averages 65mph the one going 55 is going to use less gas in the same distance. That's reality.
As for going 25 mph...it's as bad as going 65 it's outside the most efficient range of a car.

Crap...How did I ever get pulled in to this non-football thread?

KCTitus
05-10-2001, 06:24 AM
What is the most efficient range, why cant they make cars more efficient at 65? Why does it have to be 55?

What if most cars are more efficient at 46.3? Should the goverment step in to lower limits?

In short, conservation, or driving 55 is a ruse...supply is the problem. Build more refineries, especially ones that can handle the production of the new 'reforumlated' gas to burn cleaner in the summertime.