PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Mansfield, LA? Pull up your pants

Bob Dole
08-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Pull 'em up or pay up! That's the word in Mansfield, Louisiana where it's now illegal to wear saggy pants. Those who don't obey the new ordinance face some stiff penalties. Those penalties are $150 plus court costs or up to 15 days behind bars.

In a unanomous vote Monday, the mayor and board of aldermen passed a new anti-sag ordinance. It's now illegal for you to wear your pants below your waist. City leaders say those who do will be guilty of indecent or lewd behavior.

Alderman Joseph Hall, Junior says in order for the city to prosper, citizens need to keep their underwear under wraps.

Chief Don English says his officers, who we can now officially call "fashion police", are more than ready to start writing saggy citations.

The new ordinance goes into effect September 15th. The mayor says he wants to give citizens plenty of warning for before police start writing tickets.

Source (http://www.ktbs.com/viewnews.cfm?news_id=3586&title=Sagging%20pants%20now%20illegal%20in%20Mansfield)

Simplex3
08-14-2007, 06:00 AM
This type of thing runs counter to my Libertarian leanings, but I'm Ok with it.

Skip Towne
08-14-2007, 06:05 AM
This is really going to cramp my style.

Bob Dole
08-14-2007, 06:08 AM
This type of thing runs counter to my Libertarian leanings, but I'm Ok with it.

Bob Dole sort of feels the same way. It's a fine example of the community setting its own standards, rather than being force-fed their "standards" by the state or feds.

FWIW, since it's probably going to come up: the TV news report only showed an interview with one of the aldermen, and he was black.

HemiEd
08-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Dwayne Bowe had better stay away. I swear, if it were not for his skivvies, he could take a dump without dropping trou.

the Talking Can
08-14-2007, 06:20 AM
it makes perfect sense in America....

Braincase
08-14-2007, 06:27 AM
How will people recognize my importance and respect me if they can't see that I've shoplifted a 30 dollar pair of boxers?

cdcox
08-14-2007, 06:29 AM
City leaders say those who do will be guilty of indecent or lewd behavior.

So will the guilty be registered as sex offenders?

Braincase
08-14-2007, 06:36 AM
So will the guilty be registered as sex offenders?

Crack dealers.

Phobia
08-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I would consider moving there. I was once so offended by 2 young men that I contacted Hardees management. I haven't seen workers there with pants around their knees since.

I'm no prude but pull yer pants up, foo.

kepp
08-14-2007, 06:46 AM
This is really going to cramp my style.
They're talking about SAGGING pants...not pants that are pulled up to the nipplets.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't like it when people wear saggy pants. But this is an example of just another bonehead law.

I forget where to find them, but there are many bonehead laws state by state. They actually have it in writing that it's illegal to walk an elephant in downtown STL.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 07:04 AM
http://www.dumblaws.com/index.php

Here's a dumb laws site. It's not the one I was looking for, but it's close to it. Kinda funny actually. Worth reading and checking out IMO.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Here are some dumb Kansas Laws:

Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.

No one may catch fish with his bare hands.

The state game rule prohibits the use of mules to hunt ducks.

If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.........wtf?!?!?!?!

Lawrence, KS has some weird laws:

When entering the city one must honk their horn to warn horses of their arrival.

No one may wear a bee in their hat.......yes folks you heard that one correctly.

In Topeka:

One may not sing the alphabet in the streets at night.

Snowball fights are illegal.

No one may scream at a haunted house.

The installation of bathtubs is prohibited.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Man these are funny, and it makes you wonder what in the hell happened to make such actions illegal.

In Georgia,

Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.

It is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket on a Sunday.

Members of the state assembly cannot be ticketed for speeding while the state assembly is in session.

The following are city laws:

Acworth:
Everyone must own a rake.

Athens-Clarke County
If you want to read your favorite book in public to your friends, do it before 2:45 AM.

Selling two beers at once for the same price is not allowed......wtf?

Goldfish may not be given away to entice someone to enter a game of bingo.

Persons under the age of 16 may not play pinball after 11:00 PM.

It is illegal for one to make a disturbing sound at a fair.

ATL:
Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

It is against the law for one man to be on the back of another man. Sucks for gay people doesn't it?

Columbus, GA:
It is illegal to cuss over the phone

No one may tease an idiot.

Crosses may be burned on someone else’s property, so long as you have their permission.

Picnics are prohibited in graveyards.

All Indians must return to their shore of the Chattohoochee River by nightfall.......good lord how old is this law, and when was the last time they enforced it? LOL

The fine for waving a gun in public is higher than actually shooting it.

It is illegal for stores to sell corn flakes on Sunday.

I could go on with this state since it has IMO the most ****ed up laws in the country IMO, but Im moving on to another state

Chief Chief
08-14-2007, 07:35 AM
I bet the ACLU reps are on their Lear jet right now heading to Mansfield LA to scare the buhjeezus outta them city officials.

Chief Chief
08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
The question now is: Who will get there first? The ACLU gods or the Revs. Sharpton & Jackson?

Chief Chief
08-14-2007, 07:39 AM
"If the saggy pants don't fit, you must acquit!"

ROYC75
08-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Bravo.........

Frazod
08-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Kids have always and will always do things that adults accurately recognize as being f#cking retarded, but this baggy pants crap really takes it to a new level of idiocy.

Although instead of a fine, I'd much rather see the offenders get a good beating.

Rain Man
08-14-2007, 08:27 AM
I challenge them to find my waist.

As for the perpetrators, I would hope it's sufficient to merely laugh at their stupidity rather than fine them, but apparently not. I can't figure out how anyone could possibly think that that "look" is cool. It's just laughable.

el borracho
08-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Did they really need a new law? Couldn't the existing indecency laws cover (haha) this?

Actually, I don't even see it as indecent since everything is usually covered by the underwear. Retarded?- Definitely! Indecent?- Not really.

Bob Dole
08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't like it when people wear saggy pants. But this is an example of just another bonehead law.

Yeah. Like those "women can't run around in public with their nipples showing" and "restaurant workers have to wear clothes" laws. Stupid laws.

As Bob Dole stated: this is a perfect example of the way most laws should be. If you don't like the laws in Mansfield, move to the next town over. Laws should reflect the sensibilities of the commmunity.

And we're off to D.C. ...

ClevelandBronco
08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.dumblaws.com/index.php...

"It is illegal to mistreat rats in Denver, Colorado."

So there. You're all warned. Watch what you yell at Shanahan if you make the trip to attend a game in Denver...

ClevelandBronco
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.dumblaws.com/index.php

And watch your junk in Vail...

"No one may keep junk close to someone else."

Pitt Gorilla
08-14-2007, 10:41 AM
How are they defining waist? I've seen a lot of fat dudes that have to "wear" their pants below what might normally be considered their waist. I hop they fry those fat f*cks or something.

CoMoChief
08-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah. Like those "women can't run around in public with their nipples showing" and "restaurant workers have to wear clothes" laws. Stupid laws.

As Bob Dole stated: this is a perfect example of the way most laws should be. If you don't like the laws in Mansfield, move to the next town over. Laws should reflect the sensibilities of the commmunity.

Wow, you're not being over the top or anything. :rolleyes:

Don't you think nipple showing in public and having naked waiters is just a little different than wearing saggy pants? Let's be real here. To even make this a law is stupid, and legislature needs to focus on laws that really matter within the community.

We should also make it illegal to get tattoos as well, or to get piercings in other places other than your ear lobes, because that's a sign of gangs. :rolleyes:

Bob Dole
08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Wow, you're not being over the top or anything. :rolleyes:

Don't you think nipple showing in public and having naked waiters is just a little different than wearing saggy pants? Let's be real here. To even make this a law is stupid, and legislature needs to focus on laws that really matter within the community.

We should also make it illegal to get tattoos as well, or to get piercings in other places other than your ear lobes, because that's a sign of gangs. :rolleyes:

That's one of Bob Dole's points: A legislature didn't make the ordinance. A Board of Aldermen did, just for their own community.

You don't like the ordinance, Bob Dole suggests you don't visit or relocate to that municipality. It's called "choice".

Cochise
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM

QFT

Mr. Laz
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
dumb, bullshit law

don't we have more important things to worry about?

Dave Lane
08-14-2007, 11:28 AM
No one may tease an idiot.

They call that the Chiefaroo rule :)

Dave

Bob Dole
08-14-2007, 11:29 AM
dumb, bullshit law

don't we have more important things to worry about?

Perhaps you and the fellow residents of your community do.

Who are you (or Bob Dole, for that matter) to judge the validity of Mansfield, Louisiana's community standards?

jiveturkey
08-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I wonder what kind of penalty kids get for being on the lawn down there?

Mi_chief_fan
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I would consider moving there. I was once so offended by 2 young men that I contacted Hardees management. I haven't seen workers there with pants around their knees since.

I'm no prude but pull yer pants up, foo.

Prudes typically aren't eating at Hardees.

jiveturkey
08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
I will add that I agree with Bob. My homeowners association was coming up with some pretty silly ideas so I got on the board and now I have a voice. The old people really hate it when I show up to meetings.

If enough baggy panted citizens get on this board they can reverse this decision and add one that doesn't allow pants to be pulled up above the waist.

Mi_chief_fan
08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Who are you (or Bob Dole, for that matter) to judge the validity of Mansfield, Louisiana's community standards?

Bob Dole is absolutely right. And what a community they must have. After all, here's a few more "laws" one must obey when in Mansfield, LA:

"Fake" wrestling matches are prohibited

Spectators at a boxing match may not mock one of the contestants

Persons could land in jail for up to 10 years for stealing an alligator.

$500 fine for instructing a pizza man to deliver a pizza to your friend without them knowing it

Biting with your natural teeth is "simple assault", while biting with false teeth is "aggrevated assault"

It is illegal to gargle in public

It is illegal to shoot police with a laser.

Source: http://www.dumblaws.com

Taco John
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
The gun regulations in Seattle are ridiculous. You can't carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.