PDA

View Full Version : Earlier I was watching the 93 highlight film...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-08-2001, 06:22 PM
of the Chiefs, and I thought to myself, "man, those were the good times."

Montana had so much leadership and a coolness to him all the time. He didn't have the best arm or anything, but he was a leader and no QB has ever seen the field the way he did.

I get pumped up everytime I watch that highlight film.

What are some memories that everyone has of that team, the 93 Chiefs?

CG

loved it when Cash threw the football at a picture of Buddy Ryan in the Houston playoff win

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 06:41 PM
Was 93 the year Montana got us our first win in Denver in way too many years. That was a fantastic game which I watched in a Holiday Inn in Houston while a super thunderstorm flooded my rental car. The game was great, the trip sucked. I had to borrow a blow dryer at the desk to dry out my shoes.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-08-2001, 07:27 PM
Z,

No, that was 94, the next year.

CG

sees you didn't get shocked when you drying your shoes :D

LapDog
05-08-2001, 07:29 PM
Zeb-

Was that the game where we were ahead until Elway pulled his typical comeback victory touchdown and then Montana managed to get the ball down the field in something like 18 seconds?

That was a great game! That game is what converted me from a 'oh, the Chiefs are on' fan to a "Kick ***! Football season is here!" fan. Before that game, I thought football was boring.

LapDog

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 08:09 PM
Yep that was the game I was thinking about. It was one of those see-saw games, and Elway did his best to stab us in the heart again. But this time there was enough clock left for a general like Montana to stick it right back to 'em. Man, I loved that game!

Rausch
05-08-2001, 08:29 PM
THis monster of a man carries NO LESS than six men for 5 yards....7 yard gain...the guy exemplified my family, my area, and our work ethic. There was no give up, if you have to carry 11 guys to the end zone, you do it. Or, you get 4 yards a carry 'till you get there. But you get there...

Man I miss that guy....

Raiderhader
05-08-2001, 08:37 PM
While it isn't '93, I have to agree that the win at Pile High by Montana was a great game. In fact, I think it has to be one of my all time favorite football games (pro). That was a magical night if ever there was one. Ooooohhhhhhhhhh! I get chills all over again just thinking about it!

BTW, I can't remember who caught the pass in the end zone. Who was it (I'll probably kick myself when I hear it)?

Rausch
05-08-2001, 09:01 PM
Willie Davis...

Montana probably threw the guy 10 perfect passes a game, and he'd drop every one...BUt if he had to sprint, do a back flip, drag both feet, and catch it with one arm, he always would...

I hated that guy....

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 09:01 PM
Was it J.J. Birden?

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 09:02 PM
Dang,
A day late AND a dollor short!

WackyRuss
05-08-2001, 09:04 PM
Due to Chiefs failure, Chiefs fans are continue to live in the past. Way to go Chiefs fans...

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 09:07 PM
We fans had a real good time hosting the Rams this last season....sigh that was about the only highlight of last season. Can anyone pick out any other bright spots?

Rausch
05-08-2001, 09:15 PM
Gonzales dominance of the leage...

Our total domination of the Chargers in game 1...

Girbac not ALWYAS looking stupid...

Sylvester Morris in the first six weeks...

Eric Hicks...

Will Shields...

Gunther's dedication. It didn't pay off, but I will at least say "THank you."

The Memories of DT...

"MAD" MIke Maslowski...

Sweeping the Broncos in a TERRIBLE year...

keg in kc
05-08-2001, 09:16 PM
Things I remember from last season:

Opening day at Arrowhead was something I'll never forget. Of course it was my first time there, but it was a moving occasion for everyone. And it was a good game, too, we were in it until about 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

Week 3 against San Diego was about as much fun as I've ever had at a ball game at any level. Watching Elvis throw for 5 touchdowns despite cheering when he seemed injured was just fun for me (as was the verbal sparring with some 'neck idiot Grbasher in the row ahead of me). Brought my father (he's from West Virginia by the way) as a surprise. He loved it...

Week 15 against Carolina was fantastic. We got in for 35 dollars each and sat in row 11 on the 40 yard line. Were some good fans down there and that was just a fun game.

Week 16 against Denver I was sitting in the snow drinking hot chocolate spiked with peppermint schnappes. Lost my voice for the first time for a long, long time shouting (I'm a quiet fan believe it or not, usually) as T-Rich tore a new hole in the donkey defense.

Every time I went to Arrowhead we won. We may not have had a great season, but I don't think I'll forget '00 anytime soon.

Just one man's opinion...

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2001, 09:27 PM
Mad Maz, this year, reminded me of Anthony Davis a few years back. Late in that season, they were starting to let him play... and he was making plays. He really stood out and made me take notice, like Maz this year. I was a little dissappointed in Davis the next year, because he did not seem to bring the same intensity. I hope Maz capitalizes on his opportunity.

Rausch
05-08-2001, 09:30 PM
I'm goint to start a fund to get "keg in KC" season tickets....

Hey, It CAN'T HURT!

keg in kc
05-08-2001, 09:33 PM
Actually, we only went 3-1 Brad, we lost the Indy game. Somehow I always forget that we lost that game.

Thanks defense, giving up a bajillion yards to James and Manning and thanks Jimmy Raye for running up the gut with a twin TE formation on the first 6 plays...

We could have won that game so easily, and the same for the Titan game next week.

So close yet so far...

Rausch
05-08-2001, 09:37 PM
You need them, and you need good one's...

keg in kc
05-08-2001, 09:55 PM
Them words be gospel!

KCinGA
05-09-2001, 10:51 AM
Last year's highpoint, for me, had to be the frenzied scoring machine we became against the Rams. When was the last time we scored 50+ points?! I had to pinch myself. It was pretty exciting to see the Chiefs get a big win against a quality team. For one week, anyway, we looked unbeatable!

But, mostly, the Chiefs of '00 were a disappointment. I rallied behind them every week... the sweep of Denver was nice... the losses to the Raiders, Titans, and Colts hurt the most. It's always easier to take a loss, knowing that the team played well and did what it could to succeed. More often than not, though, it was a bone-headed play or two that would cost us a game.

I'm hopeful that this year is different with the changes in the coaching ranks. It's nice to hear how we're going to attack on offense. The flipside is that there will be more risk involved (turnovers) with an attacking offense. The pickups on the offensive side of the ball are pretty exciting, though! I can't wait to see Gonzalez, Alexander, Green, & Holmes put everything together on the field! The jury is still out on Morris and "Snoop" Minnis.

As always, I'll be watching the defensive side of the ball to see the young players develop. Especially, the secondary.

I'm excited mostly that Grbac and McGlockton are gone. Either one could amaze you with their ability on one play, only to make you wonder what they were thinking on the next.

This is gonna be a FUN year!! GO CHIEFS!!!

Zebedee DuBois
05-09-2001, 05:46 PM
Derrick Thomas had some highlight games. The one where he "called his shot" for a safety, I believe against Elway. Strip Sack Recovery. Love those blow 'em up defense games.

Frustratingly, he seemed to have a number of games where he was effectively neutralized. A friend of mine said that if Marty would get those jets to buzz the stadium every game, Derrick would be on fire every game.