PDA

View Full Version : Divx/AVI to DVD

Guru
08-17-2007, 05:02 AM
What is the best free software for this?

htismaqe
08-17-2007, 07:23 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=167599

deadbabyseal
08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
avi2dvd
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror_id=0&version_id=5342&software_id=658
It's a little slow but I don't have the audio syncing issues with this program that I have with Nero.

luv
08-17-2007, 01:11 PM
avi2dvd
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror_id=0&version_id=5342&software_id=658
It's a little slow but I don't have the audio syncing issues with this program that I have with Nero.
I downloaded the avi2dvd. It's telling me to choose an audio stream, but I have no choices. HELP!

Guru
08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
avi2dvd
That one won't do divx though. hard knocks ep 1 is AVI. Ep 2 is Divx.

Also, Luv's question still stands. It don't even receive options when I click on the Choose audio stream box.

Guru
08-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I have read all of this....
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avi_to_dvd_avi2dvd.cfm

It does not cover why Hard Knocks ep 2 (DIVX) format will not show up in the load file box. It technically is not listed as an AVI file.

Guru
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Damn thing won't let me load 2 AVIs to one disc either. Everytime I try to add the 2nd ep it says I need to give it a new output but doesn't let me change the output file at all.

Do I really have to wait 3 hours for each ep to encode? Doesn't seem worth it. Guess I will just tell my friend he needs to get a DIVX capable DVD player or watch it on his computer.

deadbabyseal
08-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry Guru, I've been at work. The reason it won't let you load 2 eps. to one disc is that there isn't enough room on the disc. DVD file format takes up an assload of space. And yeah 3 hours is about right, every program I've used thats faster has audio sync issues which drive me nuts.

And Luv the reason you're not finding an audio stream is probably because the program isn't happy with the specified path. Drag and drop the .avi file itself onto your desktop and make sure the file name has no strange charachters like (/'\*_<>}] etc.

Guru
08-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Sorry Guru, I've been at work. The reason it won't let you load 2 eps. to one disc is that there isn't enough room on the disc. DVD file format takes up an assload of space. And yeah 3 hours is about right, every program I've used thats faster has audio sync issues which drive me nuts.

Wow. So I can only put one 50 minute episode on a DVD that is capable of storing anywhere from 2-6 hours?

That sucks.

Thanks for the input though. Just have to tell the guy he will have to settle for the AVIs and watch it on his computer then.

luv
08-18-2007, 09:16 AM

And Luv the reason you're not finding an audio stream is probably because the program isn't happy with the specified path. Drag and drop the .avi file itself onto your desktop and make sure the file name has no strange charachters like (/'\*_<>}] etc.
Completely missed this post last night. Thanks. I'll try it.

htismaqe
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
1) Divx/Xvid format IS AVI. Just rename the file to xxxx.xvid.AVI and it will work.

2) In order to add 2 files to a disc in AVI2DVD, they have to have a VERY specific filename (I don't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head) and the two files HAVE to be the same video/audio format (you can't burn a 16:9 video and a 4:3 video on the same DVD).

3) It will take between 1 hour and 3 hours, depending on which encoder you choose, but it's WELL worth it. The DVD's it creates are excellent.

luv
08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Didn't help. I still have no audio stream to choose from.

alnorth
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
After a lot of research and aggravation, I bought a good encoder program (TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress) and a good dvd authoring program (TMPGEnc DVD Author 3) from http://www.tmpg-inc.com/en/index.html about 6 months ago, and it works great for me. I can choose that I dont quite need absolute state-of-the-art perfect quality, and tone down the audio video quality enough to fit 13 hour-long tv episodes onto a dvd. You'd be stunned how much a little tiny bit of quality that you barely notice can inflate the size of the show for the dvd format to the point where you can only fit a couple episodes. I was able to fit a 7-season run (26 ep per season) of hour-length shows onto 14 DVD's at pretty decent quality.

Be warned, these programs are expensive and NOT user friendly. You dont have to be an ultra uber-geek to use them, but you probably will have to be somewhat of a geek to figure them both out and resolve all the various errors you may get when you first start using these two programs. I played around with the limited trial versions before I finally bought them both.

Guru
08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
We only speak FREE around these here parts.

MTG#10
08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I just made a custom hard knocks dvd with both episodes using TMPGenc Express 4.0 and Sony DVD Architect. Im uploading them on torrents as we speak.

Guru, you can find those programs alnorth mentioned for free if you look hard enough. ;)

MTG#10
08-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow. So I can only put one 50 minute episode on a DVD that is capable of storing anywhere from 2-6 hours?

That sucks.

Thanks for the input though. Just have to tell the guy he will have to settle for the AVIs and watch it on his computer then.
No you can put as many episodes as you want, but the more you put = the more you have to compress = the poorer the video quality. I wouldnt put more than two episodes per dvd.

alnorth
08-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Guru, you can find those programs alnorth mentioned for free if you look hard enough. ;)

I actually did download an illegal pirated version of TMPGEnc's encoder, but after I made my... probably 40th DVD, I finally started to feel guilty and I had the money, so I bought it. ;)

alnorth
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
No you can put as many episodes as you want, but the more you put = the more you have to compress = the poorer the video quality. I wouldnt put more than two episodes per dvd.

Ugh, I agree, compression is just awful. When I was experimenting with creating DVD's, I found that any kind of compression is like some form of rough primitive way to squash files smaller, and you lose a TON of quality with just a little compression.

If you use a good encoder like the programs mentioned above, instead of compression, you can just choose to encode at a lower bitrate.

e.g.: "9,200 Kb/s video bitrate?!? Gee, the human eye cant tell the difference between that and a few thousand... and I'm willing to tone it down even more to sacrifice some barely-noticable quality for a TV show... I'll use 750 Kb/s for video. While I'm at it, lets turn the audio down from 224 to 160 Kb/s so I can fit 10 hours into this disc"