PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a moving company??????

Gracie Dean
05-09-2001, 05:49 PM
I need help moving from BFE in Arkansas to Wichita Kansas. I have been trying to get estimates but it is like pulling teeth. YOu would think they would want to make money sheesh.

I am getting out of this place June 6-10th The day after my school is done!!!!
If you own a moving company or know of anyone that moves people please email me at

dawsonpam@hotmail.com

TheFly
05-09-2001, 08:07 PM
Sorry Pam, don't know anybody in the moving business I could recommend!
:(

Mark M
05-09-2001, 08:17 PM
Try Two Men and a Truck. The only problem is they are usually local. I used to work for the one in Springfield, MO and 98% of the time they do flawless moves. I was there for four months and we didn't break a thing. The Mrs. and I used them when we got our house and they did a great job.

Grabel (sp?) Van Lines are usually pretty reliable from my experience as well.

Are you using a Wichita company? If so, you might wanna ask Clint in Wichita who a good company is.

MM
~~Just trying to help.

aturnis
05-09-2001, 11:54 PM
Nope, do not own one for ya, sorry.

DanT
05-10-2001, 12:48 AM
I'd be interested in hearing any recommendations for moving companies, also. I'm moving from Chicago to Davis, CA (near Sacramento) around November 1.

tommykat
05-10-2001, 12:52 AM
All I could tell you is what was said about 2 men and a truck. I know my neighbors love them. Used them 2 times and they think they are great. I'd check into them and go from there.

Herzig
05-10-2001, 07:07 AM
Pam,

How are you? Just wanted to let you know that there is a Two Men and Truck in Springdale if that is any help. I thought you were moving to KC? Why Witchita? Are you going to hang out with Clint??

I know you never really liked it here...it did take awhile to grow on me. I hear that Michael is pregnant. Anyway, I hope you and your family get moved ok...Im currently in the process of buying my first home.

Good luck!!

Idahojim
05-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Pam -

I obviously don't know anything about individual movers in your area. But I can tell you that I've moved several times in different states, and every time I used Allied Van Lines I was very pleased. That tells me this is a good company.

The one I wouldn't use is Mayflower. That company gave me my move from hell. Some examples:

1. Asked for an experienced driver and was told we'd get one. A college intern showed up at the door.

2. Asked for someone who has moved pianos. First thing the guy said when he walked in the house: "YOU'VE GOT A PIANO? I'VE NEVER MOVED A PIANO!"

3. He saw the trampoline in the back yard. Said that would be extra because he'd have to have special tools. I took it apart myself by hand. Then he still wanted me to sign a form so he could get extra money because he needed the "special tools."

4. Then later he told me we had a "leave behind situation." I asked him if that was mover jargon that meant he couldn't get everything in the freaking (that's kind of close to the word I used) truck? "Yup," he said.

5. Then the stuff involved in the "leave behind situation" got lost. Some of it showed up about a year later - after we had been reimbursed for it. Mayflower didn't have the nerve to ask for money back.

6. I wrote a letter to the company about the experience. All that brought was silence. Not even an apology.

7. And the above doesn't even come close to capturing all that went on.

Bottom line: Don't go near Mayflower. You'll wish you were at Plymouth Rock catching a boat back to Europe.

Good luck with your move.

ROYC75
05-10-2001, 08:41 AM
Pam....

Of all the times we have moved...it's been Family or friends that have helped me with thier P/U's or a U-Haul.

The money we saved was worth it to me.......some people don't want the hassel....I for one don't either,but the $$$$ made my mind up. Plus the fact that I moved furniture at one time as a job,played into the fact that I could do it well. "I HATE MOVING !"

I,myself will probally never pay a moving Co. to move.....rip off and the problems that arise with them.

Best of Luck to Ya !

morphius
05-10-2001, 10:23 AM
I used Paul Arpin on my last move and they did a great job, after seeing them move everything out of the place I decided to go ahead and let them move my motorcycle, they treated it as if it was their own baby and everything made it fine.

Of course I didn't pay for it which made it nice.

ct
05-10-2001, 10:43 AM
I'll echo the good word about Two Guys and a Truck. I've used them twice with ZERO problems. Pretty sure they are local ONLY, however.

Never moved intra-state, but I've heard very bad things about Mayflower as well, but I've also heard bad stories about Allied too. I'd guess you'll hear horror stories about every moving company known to humankind, if you poll enough folks.

I used to have a truck, and have helped many friends move, most locally, but a couple were moving out of state. If at all possible, I'd go the 'With a Little Help From My Friends' route. Get a couple U-Hauls or buy a cheap pickup, and do it yourself, if you can't find the manpower. Sell the pickups as soon as you're done with it, which really wouldn't cost you but taxes and registration(2-3 hundred maybe for a cheap pickup).
All things considered, if it's feasible to do it yourself, you'd still save a ton of $$ over paying a big moving Co., and without the 'out of my hands' hassle.

Just curious, which area did you end up finding your new home?

ct
doodah native

Alton deFlat
05-10-2001, 11:35 AM
Pam
I checked the Yellow Pages and there are 36 companies listed under Movers, in the Wichita area. There is a "2 Guys & a Truck" listed, but if they only move locally, it's irrelevant. Their phone number is (316) 729-4897.

Gracie Dean
05-10-2001, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. A rep from Allied is coming tomorrow after school to estimate.

I wish I could save money by using friends, but this time it is not feasible.

Greg, I too heard that Michael is pregnant. That is cool. I bet John is jumping for joy.

I will miss many friends and hoards of students, but I am ready to go home

We have made an offer on a house on Greenbriar past 21st street. It is getting inspected tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that the major things...roof, plumbing is sound. I really like the house!

Thanks again guys.

Pam

Gracie Dean
05-10-2001, 11:34 PM
ROYC75

she says squeeze me, come on and squeeze me come on and squeeze me like you do..

man, haven't heard that song in a long while.

Who sings it????????????????

KCPHILLY
05-10-2001, 11:53 PM
Exactly...

KCPHILLY
05-10-2001, 11:55 PM
... Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

ROYC75
05-11-2001, 11:40 AM
Pam...

The Who !

Gracie Dean
05-11-2001, 10:58 PM
Man, I am starting to think it is better to get friends and family...I am getting quotes past two thousand dollars!!!

Frazod
05-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Pam, if they help you move to another state, they must be pretty damn good friends!

I'm personally getting charged $500 to relocate from the Sewer-er, I mean City of Chicago to Naperville. Of course, the BNC and I only have the contents of a tiny one-bedroom apartment to move, and we're only going about 35 miles (not far enough, but a start). I should do it myself, but since I've moved 31 TIMES (18 on my own) in my life, and have never before used movers, and have been enough of a burden on my friends, and most importantly, have sworn that I'll never lift another f#cking sleeper sofa in my life :mad: , I'll happily pay the price.

Moving three weeks FROM TODAY. Can't wait! :D

DanT
05-11-2001, 11:21 PM
Good luck on the move, Frazod. I went with the pros for my last move (less than 10 miles and within the city). That was definitely the way to go. Let someone hoist the damn sofa-sleeper and get it through the doorway!

Frazod
05-11-2001, 11:33 PM
Amen to that. Sleeper sofas SUCK.

To update my situation, we did our walk-through last week. The new place is AWESOME - I still can't believe I'll actually be living there. Totally blows away everyplace I've ever lived before (and I've been in a lot of difference places). They'll even have all the new sod laid before we get there, and while I'd certainly prefer a view of a mountain lake, a golf course sure beats the hell out of the garage across the alley I see out my current window. Anyway, we close on Thursday, the new stuff we bought (bedroom set, coffee table, appliances, etc.) will be delivered that Saturday. After that, we'll be moving SMALL STUFF in little by little until the big day.

Then four weeks of chaos, and then the wedding :eek: on June 30 (assuming I don't strangle my soon-to-be-mother-in-law, who is driving all of us insane).

Talk about a month of changes. Personally, I'll be very happy to see July. Then all I'll have left to do is pay off the damned credit cards.

Gracie Dean
05-13-2001, 08:17 PM
I have four more estimators coming this week. Keep your fingers crossed that at least one of them will be less than 2 thousand!!!!

DanT
05-13-2001, 08:28 PM
That's some exciting news, Frazod. I bet you'll love the new place. I also hear that married life isn't so bad! ;)

Frazod
05-13-2001, 10:50 PM
Thanks, Dan. It's getting closer - this time next week the new place will be ours. We'll begin the packing process this week - I've already began squirreling away boxes.

As for the marriage part, the BNC and I have lived together for 3 1/2 years, so I don't think it will be that big of a change. Don't mind marriage - I just wish I could skip the wedding. I expect it to be a huge, twisted fiasco (aren't they always?), although it will be nice to assemble all of my friends from various parts of my life together in one place.

Of course, James Earl Jones summed up my wedding feelings best in the original Conan:

"The merging is at last at hand. The day of doom is here."

Just kidding. :D

Bwana
05-14-2001, 01:32 PM
Pam: I am going through the same thing right now. My wife and I just bought a new house and this moving stuff is a first class pain in the A$$!

P.S. If any of you boys lack excitement in the next few days, you are welcome to help..........the beer and steaks are on me. *GRIN*

DeepSouth
05-14-2001, 02:28 PM
Pam, I suggest you sell everything in Arkansas and buy all new stuff in Kansas.

Lightning Rod
05-14-2001, 04:46 PM
Bwana,
Your a bit off the beaten path or I'd be there with my frosty mug.

Spent most of yesterday helping a friend move his daughter back into his house. I hurt in places I didn't even know I had. Man I hate getting old!