PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign CB

spe725
05-10-2001, 07:56 AM
Sorry to post a FB thread, but I just saw this on kcchiefs.com.

CB George McCullough Agrees to Terms of Two-Year Contract with Chiefs

May 10 (morning)--Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Thursday that free agent cornerback George McCullough has agreed to terms of a two-year contract with the club. As per Chiefs policy, no further terms of the agreement were disclosed.
McCullough (5-10, 187), joins the Chiefs after seeing action in 24 regular season games with the Tennessee Titans over the course of the past four years. During that span he has totaled 16 tackles (14 solo), three passes defensed, a forced fumble and 12 special teams tackles. He played in 10 games for the Titans last season, making eight tackles (six solo), while registering a pass defensed and eight special teams stops. McCullough also owns one game of playoff experience, registering a special teams stop vs. St. Louis in Super Bowl XXXIV.

The Galveston, Texas native originally entered the NFL as a fifth-round pick (143rd overall) of the Tennessee Oilers in ’97. He spent the majority of the season on that club’s practice squad before being activated for the team’s final two regular season games. He spent the spring of ’98 in NFL Europe with the Barcelona Dragons, tying for third in the league with three interceptions. He saw action in five regular season contests for the Titans in ’99, before playing in 10 games for Tennessee a year ago.

A product of Baylor, McCullough finished his collegiate career with 135 tackles, 31 passes defensed and four interceptions. He was second team All-Big 12 selection as a senior when he started 10 games at left cornerback, recording 42 tackles, 10 passes defensed, two interceptions and two sacks. Before entering the collegiate ranks, McCullough served as a prep standout at Ball High School in Galveston, Texas, the same school which produced former Chiefs FB Kimble Anders.

NaptownChief
05-10-2001, 08:52 AM
Sounds like this guy should be the answers to are CB issues... :D

htismaqe
05-10-2001, 09:10 AM
Great, another backup corner...

I hope this is a signal that Bartee and Dennis will be starting...

Of course, we wouldn't do anything smart like that...

ck_IN
05-10-2001, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a special teamer and possible dime-back. Both of which could be beneficial.

I wonder if Carlton Grey is feeling a little nervous right now.

Recker24
05-10-2001, 11:32 AM
I hope you were joking when you stated the smart thing to do would be to start Dennis and Bartee. These two aren't half as good as Crockett is, and Warfield just flat out has more athletic ability and talent. Dennis and Bartee will stay as backups. They can fight it out for the nickel spot.

Clint in Wichita
05-10-2001, 11:33 AM
He won't make it past the first round of cuts.

I'm still waiting for KC to sign a decent corner, if any are available.

DaWolf
05-10-2001, 11:35 AM
Well, at least we're finally paying some attention to special teams for the first time in 3 years. Now if only we could find a kicker who could kick off a little better...

58Forever
05-10-2001, 11:38 AM
Why do they hold on to Gray?....does he play on ST?...

My starters would be Crockett and Warfield...

Can Bartee or Dennis play safety?

DanT
05-10-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by spe_725
Sorry to post a FB thread, but I just saw this on kcchiefs.com.

:D

mlyonsd
05-10-2001, 12:52 PM
5'-10"?

Backup is right.

keg in kc
05-10-2001, 12:55 PM
Looks to me like we're building a very solid corps (and core...) of players for the special teams, and I think that's a very, very good move.

Recker24
05-10-2001, 01:57 PM
www.titansonline.com/team/players/playerpage.cfm?player_id=4759

Pretty solid player. I disagree that he won't make it past the first round of cuts. I believe McCullough will stick. 5th round pick by the Oilers/Titans. 3rd in NFl Europe in INT's. (1998) Not every corner has to be 6'1 to succeed in the NFL.

Warrior5
05-10-2001, 02:28 PM
From what I understand (and hope), Chiefs will cut Gray after 1 June so the cap hit can be spread over two years.

htismaqe
05-10-2001, 02:54 PM
Bartee and Dennis have FAR MORE physical ability than Warfield...sorry, but that's the truth...

All Crockett has on them is 4 million years of experience.

Bartee and Dennis suffered last year from playing soft coverage in Willie Shaw's spineless cover scheme. Put them at the line and let them check WR and you'll see that starting them is anything but a mistake...

Recker24
05-10-2001, 03:00 PM
So your saying, Gunther, and now Vermiel is wrong about Warfield having more athletic ability....You should be the coach. To bad come this season your starting CB's will be Eric Warfield, and Ray Crockett. You may see Dennis play the nickel. You can bank on that one. Bartee and Dennis start? Jeesh, where do they come up with this stuff!!??

The Bad Guy
05-10-2001, 03:29 PM
What would be the problem with Dennis and Bartee starting?

Bartee showed great promise as a rookie, and Dennis as a rookie, played decent.

The big x factor here may be Peter Guinta. Look at his bio of all the secondaries he has coached, and you will see that he has coached some solid units.

I personally think you will see Crockett and Bartee starting. Warfield hasn't done anything since 1999. He will be the dime, and Dennis will be the nickel.

McCullogh will take Carlton Grays spot on the team.

keg in kc
05-10-2001, 03:34 PM
Recker, I don't know where you're getting your information, but you're pretty far off about Warfield from every indication the team has given.

He may be athletic, but he has not been able to show that he can play at this level, and Dennis and Bartee will both be ahead of him on the depth chart unless he does something amazing in training camp.

I wonder where you're getting "this stuff"...

Recker24
05-10-2001, 05:58 PM
My information?? I found this website that had Warfield starting at the first mini-camp, and Vermiel stating that he has all the skills to be the other starting CB opposite Ray Crockett. Head coach Vermiel also said that he will give Eric Warfield EVERY opportunity to be the starter. I'm not to sure if this website has good credentials?? It's called www.kcchiefs.com.....

keg in kc
05-10-2001, 06:40 PM
Yes, I've been there and read that several weeks ago.

I was also at that mini camp where Warfield had already been delegated to the third string.

We'll see what happens at training camp, since I'm really not comfortable with the thought of Crockett being a starter.

TEX
05-10-2001, 08:51 PM
I saw him play at Ball High....He was an OUTSTANDING High School player. I saw him play at Baylor...He was SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE. I have not seen him play as a pro...but there is a trend here. IMHO, he is a BACKUP, but that's good if he can beat out Carlton Gray!

htismaqe
05-11-2001, 07:54 AM
Recker,

Do you read Rufus' column, too?

Warfield is getting a chance to start because he has experience. Crockett is starting SOLELY because of his experience.

If you want the secondary of this team to have any future AT ALL, you better hope that Bartee and Dennis get some significant PT.

Seriously, go to some games, watch them play, form some opinions, don't pull them off of Carl Peterson's personal agenda webpage...

DaneMcCloud
05-11-2001, 01:37 PM
I went to the San Diego game last year, and I just could not believe that Warfield was allowed on the field! The guys was always out position, and every big passing play came at his expense! He may have more athletic ability than other players, but he's not a player. Dennis and Bartee were much more impressive as rookies, so I'm sure we'll see them as starters at some point this season. McCullough was a good pickup; great experience with the Titans defense and another Super Bowl mentality, plus he's young. With the right coaching and opportunity, he could become a solid player.

Recker24
05-11-2001, 03:35 PM
I was at the first mini camp as well. Warfield was not delegated to 3rd string already. he was with the first unit, if you want to say there were units...And as for the future my friend...The future is now. KC has played to many years for the future. Look where that got us. Both Bartee and Dennis will see playing time, but to put both in the starting lineup....We would all be in for a long year.
Adios Viva Mexico

keg in kc
05-11-2001, 04:56 PM
You're correct that he wasn't with the third unit at the camp, that was a typo on my part. I should have said he was with the second unit, because it looked from where I was sitting like Crockett and Dennis were playing together, while Warfield and Bartee played together.

We'll see what happens in training camp and in the preseason. If Warfield can prove he's up to snuff, fine, I have no problem with that, but he has yet to prove he is an every-down NFL cornerback. I'd prefer we had signed a free agent of a little higher calibre than Crockett, because I don't like the idea of two second year players (or Crocket and one of them, or Wesley and any of those...) starting at corner in September. If we have a weak link on this team, that position is it...

Then again, I don't think we should expect to be an immediate contender either since we have a new coaching staff instilling new systems and we're faced with what may be the toughest division in the NFL either. Maybe this is the perfect time/opportunity to give a couple of young players time to learn the game at this level, instead of dishing out an obsene amount of money over the long term to an aging vet (even more than we gave Crockett...).