PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Liberal or Conservative?

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2001, 12:58 PM
I'm a Chiefs fan, but also a Government teacher...and have noticed a fair amount of politically charged topics and posts.

Out-of-Curriosity, I'm wondering what the political mix of Chiefs fans would be...

BIG_DADDY
05-10-2001, 01:13 PM
Libertarian, Where do you check that?

Archie F. Swin
05-10-2001, 01:19 PM
Not quite sure what your are?

checkout www.speakout.com/votematch

take the quiz . . . find your political position

I would love to see your result!

Good Luck!

BigMeatballDave
05-10-2001, 01:30 PM
I`m a Centrist - which I already knew

Archie F. Swin
05-10-2001, 01:31 PM
according to speakout .com I'm a Liberal Libertarian

does that mean I'm a "bi-lib"?

Phobia
05-10-2001, 01:41 PM
I thought I right of center although not extremely right. I feel more strongly about some issues than others including abortion and welfare.

But, according to that poll, I'm more central than I realized....

AustinChief
05-10-2001, 01:42 PM
No spot on the poll for P.J. O'Rourke style Libertarian.

How could anyone disagree with the author of "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink" ?

--Kyle

Gaz
05-10-2001, 01:46 PM
According to speakout.com, I am a Conservative-Leaning Libertarian.

According to the site, that means I believe in:

tolerance for different people and lifestyles.

personal responsibility for financial matters, and that free-market competition is better for people than central planning by the government.

Although I generally rebel against being put in a box, this one seems to fit me quite well.

FWIW, I realize the Libertarian Party will never defeat the entrenched two-party system. With that in mind, the best scenario, IMO, is a solidly Republican Congress [short of veto-proof] and a Democratic President.

The Republican Congress is more likely to stay out of my wallet and the Democratic President can keep the Republicans out of my bedroom. This also requires a fairly conservative Supreme Court, to prevent judicial activism [which I consider to be an obscene violation of the separation of powers].

With that in mind, I did not cast a vote in this poll, as there is no choice that reflects my position.

xoxo~
Gaz
Settling into the conservative-leaning Libertarian box.

keg in kc
05-10-2001, 01:52 PM
It tells me I'm a moderate libertarian and I believe in "tolerance for different people and lifestyles" personally while economically I believe in "personal responsibility for your financial matters, and that free-market competition is better for people than central planning by the government."

No big surprise there...

My lowest-ranked candidate was "duhbya".

No big surprise there, either.

I don't believe I fit into any off the poll categories...

ExtremeChief
05-10-2001, 02:11 PM
I would have voted in the poll but I couldn't find a place to choose "Thinks labels are BS"

I'm a moderate populist conservative....whatever the hell that means.

learning something everyday...

LapDog
05-10-2001, 04:24 PM
I got

Moderate Libertarian Conservative.

Apparently I'm a "one of each" sort of guy. I matched up with Alan Keyes and Dick Cheney at 40%.

(Like Gaz, I didn't cast a vote, for the same reasons)

LD
thinking about changing my sig to MLC

Zebedee DuBois
05-10-2001, 04:30 PM
I was nearly in the middle of the moderate box. One notch liberal, and one notch libertarian. Of course on this BB, that makes me seem like a communist.:D LOL

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 04:34 PM
I am a libertarian - leaning Conservative according to the poll. Although the graph showed me in the Conservative part, so what ever. Look at it like this, I agree with Rush on practically everything. I can't think of a thing that I have disagreed with him on, if there was such a thing it was obviously a very minor thing and too long ago to remember. So I just call my self a Christian Conservative, or in todays teminology, an ultra-right wing extremeist conspirator. Even though there is nothing extreme about my views, they are the same ones that the Founders founded this nation on, therefore they are main stream. Liberals are the extremist.

Bob Dole
05-10-2001, 04:43 PM
Bob Dole took the quiz and the result was "Benevolent Dictator."

Go figure...

Otter
05-10-2001, 05:07 PM
What the hell is a Centrist?

Centrist - One who takes a position in the political center; a moderate.

Guess I don't have a problem with that.

LapDog
05-10-2001, 05:18 PM
raiderhader-

I just keep bumping into your posts. I mostly agree with Rush's points. I just don't like the way he mocks people like "Robert Reeeeiiiisssh" and then turns around and accuses the Liberals of mocking Conservatives. He was losing a lot of credibility by doing that kind of stuff. He was also furthering the stereotype of insensitive conservatives by being their poster boy.

LD

bigdaddychieffan
05-10-2001, 05:52 PM
I took the Quiz and I guess I am a Moderate Populist. Whatever that means. From what I guess it means that most of my political beliefs center around the Democratic party. But there are some issues as to which I am extremely Republican. That about fits my personality just right.

Clint in Wichita
05-10-2001, 06:07 PM
IMO Limbaugh is a putz.

The high-profile conservative I respect most is G. Gordon Liddy. Now HE is an extremely intelligent, reasonable man. He seems to have extensive knowledge in almost every category imaginable. He's a little too gung-ho when it comes to firearms, but other than that I don't mind listening to him.

It would be very good for the Republican party if he became their poster boy, as opposed to an ex-D.J. turned know-it-all windbag.

Clint in Wichita
05-10-2001, 06:08 PM
BTW, the quiz says I'm a libertarian.

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 06:17 PM
I don't know where the Reeeeiiiisssshhhhh thing started, but I know that a lot of times he is merely mimicking the way another person pronounces a word or name. Like the way he does Coomo instead of Kwumo, that is out of respect for the Reverend Jackson. And I really don't see what is disrespectful about Reeeeiiiiiisssssshhhhhhhh. But again, I don't know why that started. And you know, all of this can easily be taken back to my post on the "Conservatives" thread. The libs attack us and call us names, yet act like they are above it. Rush just likes to have a little fun with them in return. Remember, he is after all just a harmless little fuzzball.;)

AustinChief
05-10-2001, 06:20 PM
So are we no longer a "right-wing, fundamentalist, minority hating, root of all evil Republican" (not my feelings, but rather the popular thoughts about us on other boards) group... but instead a bunch of Libertarians?

I'm going to post a new Poll with a Libertarian option and see where we fall.

--Kyle

TheFly
05-10-2001, 06:25 PM
I'm a libertarian... No where to fit on your poll...

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 06:30 PM
He was losing a lot of credibility by doing that kind of stuff.

I would have to disagree with that. If that is the case, why is his show still growing by leaps and bounds? If he was losing credibility, wouldn't it be the exact opposite? I think the numbers speak for themselves personally.

And you know(Ok, yet another point), the difference between what the libs say and what Rush says is that the libs lie like dogs when talking about Conservatives (as well as many other things), whereas what Rush has to say about the libs is dead on. I think it is a little different when espousing the truth versus espousing lies.

ck_IN
05-10-2001, 06:39 PM
According to speakout I'm a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative, which puts me in the same company as Allan Keyes.

I can live quite nicely with that.

Zebedee DuBois
05-10-2001, 06:40 PM
Hey Muffin,
(sorry hader, I had to use that one once. I promise it will be the last) ;)

I agree with Rush on practically everything. ... there is nothing extreme about my views, they are the same ones that the Founders founded this nation on, therefore they are main stream. Liberals are the extremist.

Two observations.
1.) If you agree with Rush on everything and believe that is mainstream.... who is to the right of you? To be mainstream, wouldn't you require about equal numbers of people on either side. There are extremists on both sides.

2.) What is mainstream now, is not what was mainstream 1776. (Maybe that is your complaint.) The founding fathers thought owning another human being as a slave was mainstream. (I am not knocking the founding fathers, I have upmost respect for the principles they gave our nation - just wanted to point out that mainstream thought has changed in many ways over the past couple centuries, and in many ways for the better.)

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 06:58 PM
I don't mind. I put something like that up I should expect it to come back and bite me (I just don't know why I didn't).

1) Trust me, their are many who are extreme on the right of The Maha Rushie and myself. Try the people who want to overthrow the government completely (I wouldn't mind cleaning the place out, but physically ONLY as a last resort. I prefer the vote method as long as possible). Their is no way that Rush is the ultimate extremist on the right. Those crack pots are best left on their ranches in the middle of nowhere Montana.

2) Yes some things have changed such as slavery. In respect to the Founders, not all of them were for slavery. Hence the clause in the Constitution that after a certain date Congress could stop it.

As for other things, how long were those institutions, that made this nation the greatest in the world, considered main stream? Most of this country's history. It hasn't been until the last 50 or 40 years that things really started changing. And infact, they haven't changed completely. So the new way of looking at things is still extreme and trying to be made main stream. I will stick to my point. Conservatism (in its pure form) is main stream, liberalism (in any form) is extreme.

LapDog
05-10-2001, 07:18 PM
raiderhader-

His numbers go up if he's entertaining, not if he provides substantive arguments. BTW, if his numbers are going up, why was his TV show cancelled?

The mispronunciation of the names is only the beginning of his mockery. He would then go on to put a video of RR on, put a horizontal bar across it, and slowly move it down until he was gone. This was also tied into a billion jokes about short people (I'm 6'2" so don't think I'm taking that personally). That doesn't even count all of the other people he mocked who I couldn't even begin to name.

My point is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Rush really lost me when on one program he "exposed" several Democrats' "despicable tactics" of mocking Republicans, when he is the one that mocks people on every show. He's a hypocrite and that undermines his credibility. The problem with America today is that everybody is a liar so nobody wants to hold liars responsible. Everybody is willing to look the other way when their side does something bad, because it helps them. That just pisses me off. If people stopped doing that, our society could move forward.

Having said all of that, I really love his monologues that talk about a return to morality. Many of the things he says make a ton of sense. The problem is, his message doesn't reach the liberals because he is so busy antagonizing them. Just like we weren't willing to listen to Taco John and Taco John wasn't willing to listen to Frazod.

As far as libs lying, I don't know because I can't stand to listen to them. Rush usually seems to be on the money, but I can't ever be sure because I always wonder how much he's misrepresenting.

(you mentioned the warpath thing... to me, everybody in politics is ALWAYS on the warpath, and that is the problem.)

LapDog

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 07:38 PM
LapDog,
I think entertainment is only part of the answer. Why do i listen to Rush? The number one reason is because he keeps me informed and I agree with him, 2) the entertainment. People tune into him because he cuts through the garbage and tells the truth. That is el numero uno (sorry Fraz) reason for the tune in. The entertainment is simply a bonus. And the reason his t.v. show was cancelled was because he cancelled it himself. He got tired of doing it. And besides you know what he says, he was born to do radio. So even if his show was cancelled by someone other than him that doesn't mean that he is slipping in the numbers.

Rush really lost me when on one program he "exposed" several Democrats' "despicable tactics" of mocking Republicans

Do you remember what exactly that was about? I would just like to be able to put this in context. And you know when he is poking fun at the libs it is nothing at all compared to the vicious lies that the libs tell to mock us (see the racists argument again). And all he is doing is having fun, whereas the libs are out to destroy us. I think you might be overreacting a little bit on this, but that is just how I look at it.

And remember, you yourself had a hearty laugh at my retard comment, isn't that being a bit hypocritical?

keg in kc
05-10-2001, 08:23 PM
Hader, I'd hate to live in your world.

it is nothing at all compared to the vicious lies that the libs tell to mock us (see the racists argument again)

What lies are you referring to, exactly?

There weren't any lies on the racists thread because the racial profiling in the south (which was the subject of the thread from the very first post...) is a real and legitimate concern. Maybe it was a mistake on Donald's part to associate all conservatives with being racists, but the point he was trying to make is still valid and based in fact.

And what liberal lies are you tallking about exactly?

The media?

HAH! It's been proven that the media is actually more lenient on Republican administrations than on Democratic ones, and, beyond that, the idea that the mainstream media is liberal is a complete and absolute fabrication in the first place.

What else are you referring to, because I'm at a loss. You sound more paranoid than anything when you talk about the way the liberals are somehow out to get you and all conservatives. I just don't see it...

And the double standard is hilarious. You talk about Liberals and it's "poking fun" but if they talk about you it's a "vicious lie". And thinking that Rush is just having fun at the liberals expense while they are out to destroy him is just ludicrous. It's politics and ratings, nothing more, nothing less...

keg in kc
05-10-2001, 08:33 PM
Finally. My gal is home.

No more stoking hader's fire and ire for my own entertainment. ;)

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 08:40 PM
Kyle,
as for the race issue, it is common for the libs to call Conservatives racists, bigots, homophobes, sexists, and all around intolerant. While it is true that we have those people, it is nowhere near as many as the the libs would have you believe (just about all of us), the number of people actually like that on the Conservative side is very small.They do their best to paint us in an untrue light. I am sorry you can't see that. And I still stick to my point that liberals are the true racists.

What other lies? You mean like back during the 95 budget battle where the dems were running commercials saying that Republicans wanted to starve and kill children and seasoned citizens? Or how about the Bird commercial painting W as a racist? Or the newest one they have put out, the one where you have kids asking their mommy for more arsenic in their water and salmonila(sp?) in their cheesburgers, insinuating that W is trying to kill kids? Do any of these ring true to you? These are all lies set on destroying the right wing.

Could you give some evidence that the media is more lenient on Republicans than dems? Because I sure as he!! don't see it. And if you can't see the OBVIOUS bias in the media, then I don't know what to tell you, cause a blind man could see it.

And it isn't always poking fun at liberals when I talk about them. My first post on the Conservative racist topic was not fun, but the sad truth meant to show the libs for what they really are. The same goes for Rush, you know when he is joking and when he is dead serious. I do anyway.

LapDog
05-10-2001, 08:42 PM
raiderhader-

I'm sorry but I don't remember the context. That one show was the final straw. He was already losing me due to his general chicanery, that show just finished it.

Overreacting? Maybe. Twenty years ago I had three negative experiences with two different Amoco stations. To this day I will run out of gas before I will buy gas at Amoco. When I give somebody a fair chance and they blow it, there isn't much they can do to get back in. Rush blew it. Overreacting to me implies emotional blow-ups with quick and faulty decision making. I assure you my decision was well considered.

On the lies, yeah I think liberal politicians lie. The race card is the best one. Beyond that, I'm not sure they lie more than Republicans; Bill, Hillary, and Al being exceptions. On this topic, I don't have enough specific info to defend my opinions, so I'm laying low.

As far as laughing at the comment, I wasn't really laughing at the content of your humor. I was laughing at the context. I was first laughing that you didn't realize how truly offensive your comment was. Here you are talking about offensiveness, while being offensive and not even realizing it. Then I realized you probably did it on purpose, so I was laughing at that, trying to decide if you were aware of both levels of your joke. Mostly I was just laughing at the mess you were probably getting yourself into because it seems to happen to me so often.

Hypocrite for laughing? I don't think so. I'm as opposed to PC as you are. Besides, I wasn't laughing at your mockery of developmentally challenged(PC rubbish!) people. I was a little offended myself, but I knew you were jesting so I let it slide.

LapDog
glad raiderhader isn't too sensitive

Raiderhader
05-10-2001, 08:59 PM
Nah, that would hardly define me.:)

As I just said in my post to Kyle, there is a difference between going after someone and just having fun. And I can tell when Rush is doing which ever. And you have to remember that he is just as opposed as you and I to PC, alot of his jokes is to either make fun of it, or to get under the skin of those who take it seriously. And what is wrong with getting under someones skin? This is after all politics, and if anyone can't play with the big boys, they should stay in their cribs. And making a joke based in truth (he believes that for humor to actually be funny there has to be an element of truth in it), say about a certain person is far different than telling straight out lies about your opponets. This is what I mean by over reacting. And I don't always consider over reacting as a quick fury. But to go along with it, let's say a little thinned skin. And what surprises me is that you don't seem like the thin skinned type. But I suppose I shouldn't decide something like that when I have only posted with you for this short time (that sounds like we are dating or something). Anyway, I would love to debate tis with you more tomorrow. I have to run for the night. See ya later.

LapDog
05-10-2001, 09:22 PM
raiderhader-

I didn't realize we are debating. "Thin-skinned" seems so harsh. How about "won't stand for any BS" instead?

I used to be pretty thin-skinned, but after years of being abused for it, I've finally figured out that I shouldn't take things so personally. I've actually probably gone to the other extreme.

My biggest thing is that I hate lies and I hate hypocrisy. They are the biggest problem in today's society (IMO). So, I react very negatively to them and it doesn't matter who does it. That's why I hate Gore and the Clintons so much. There's never been a more blatant pack of liars. I'm not overly fond of Bush, but anything is better than Gore or Clinton (again IMO).

Anyway, if I let Rush off the hook, then I'm being a hypocrite myself, so I can't do that.

(And by the way, for everyone else, I recognize we are all human, so nobody can entirely avoid hypocrisy. I fully expect somebody to throw it in my face some day. If they do, and they are right, I'll strive to change it.)

LapDog

BigMeatballDave
05-11-2001, 02:05 AM
I can`t stand to watch Rush talk - He looks like any minute hes gonna start chewing on his face.

Raiderhader
05-11-2001, 04:21 PM
LapDog,
perhaps debate was the wrong word. Shall we say discussing? And thin skinned wasn't the right word either, but I couldn't think of what I wanted to use. I had thought of it earlier, but went and forgot it.:rolleyes: One of those days. I used to be very serious, I would belive just about anything someone told me because joking wasn't part of my nature. But like you I have gone the other direction, and perhaps a little too much. Let me try to explain what I meant by over reacting because I don't think I did it very well. I do not cry foul when the cast members of SNL make fun of a Conservative or Conservatives in general. That is not my problem. By all means crack all the jokes you want. My problem is with the attacks that liberals hurl our way like the commercials I mentioned last night. I have no problem with funnin' around, on either side. I am able to seperate the joking from the actuall attacks. This is where I think you might be over reacting. I think you are having trouble seperating the two, and in turn giving Rush a bad rap. The only way I can see calling rush a hypocrite is if he started attacking the libs with lies instead of truth. But since the truth is on his side he doesn't need to rely on lies. That is the way I see it anyway. You may still disagree, and it is your right to do so. But think about the differences between funnin' around and actually attacking. There is a difference.

BTW, in your post to me last night you mentioned that you were actually offended by my retard comment. I am assuming that since you were offended that you know someone who is in that condition. If so I am sorry because it wasn't my intention to offend anyone (except the PC crowd). As I said in that statement that is just the way I talk, I don't mean anything by it. But once again I apologize.