PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here into overclocking (AMD chipset)?

htismaqe
08-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I just got a new mobo and the damn BIOS doesn't have a place in the menu to change the HTT multiplier. Anybody know of any other way to set the HTT multiplier, other than in BIOS?

Simplex3
08-19-2007, 01:10 PM
They might have a jumper setting, but it's highly unlikely. Look at it this way, they're helping you extend the life of the mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.

htismaqe
08-19-2007, 01:51 PM
hmmm...they have every other freq and voltage setting known to man in there, but not HTT multiplier.

And my setup is VERY safe, I only want to overclock 10%.

Kerberos
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I have never understood the "NEED" to overclock.

Of course I don't have the extra money laying around to replace blown up shit either so I am, as SIMPLEX says, "fortunate" in that respect.

DaFace
08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
What kind of board is it?

htismaqe
08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I have never understood the "NEED" to overclock.

Of course I don't have the extra money laying around to replace blown up shit either so I am, as SIMPLEX says, "fortunate" in that respect.

The "need" to overclock comes from the fact that I paid $135 for a board and chip that the manufacturer told me would perform like a board and chipset that costs twice that much.

You know, that whole "I don't have the extra money laying around" thing...

I've been overclocking for 15 years and have never had a peripheral fail or burn up because of it.

htismaqe
08-19-2007, 03:06 PM
What kind of board is it?

It's an MSI K9N Neo V3 (MS-7369). It's got overclocking options out the ass - I can change ever frequency, every voltage, it really is a good board...except that there's no setting for the HTT multiplier.

It's pissing me off because I need to set the HTT multiplier to 4x. Right now I've got an Athlon 5200+ (2.6Ghz stock) overclocked from 200.9Mhz to 205Mhz, but if I go any higher, the HTT freq makes it unstable.

Kerberos
08-19-2007, 03:34 PM
The "need" to overclock comes from the fact that I paid $135 for a board and chip that the manufacturer told me would perform like a board and chipset that costs twice that much.

You know, that whole "I don't have the extra money laying around" thing...

I've been overclocking for 15 years and have never had a peripheral fail or burn up because of it.

It would be "MY" dumbass luck that the first thing that would happen is a blown CPU or board.

Not tapping on anyone that does it I just don't understand the "NEED" to do it.

If I want more speed I buy a bigger CPU or add more RAM for performance.

htismaqe
08-19-2007, 03:49 PM
It would be "MY" dumbass luck that the first thing that would happen is a blown CPU or board.

Not tapping on anyone that does it I just don't understand the "NEED" to do it.

If I want more speed I buy a bigger CPU or add more RAM for performance.

Nah, it's pretty easy to do. You wouldn't hurt a thing.

As far as the "need" to do it, I can't afford a bigger CPU or more RAM. I've been running on this P3 1000Mhz for almost 8 years. I was "given" $500 to buy a new computer, I spent $498. I'd just like to get a little more out of it.

I bought an MSI specifically because of their OC capabilities.

DaFace
08-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Nah, it's pretty easy to do. You wouldn't hurt a thing.

As far as the "need" to do it, I can't afford a bigger CPU or more RAM. I've been running on this P3 1000Mhz for almost 8 years. I was "given" $500 to buy a new computer, I spent $498. I'd just like to get a little more out of it.

I bought an MSI specifically because of their OC capabilities.

It's tough to say for sure, but this page (http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/productdb/bGNkaJiWmJTK/viewproduct/MSI_K9N_NeoF/) doesn't look good for what you're wanting to do. No telling how reliable the information is, but it specifically states that your multiplier is not changeable.

htismaqe
08-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, that's the 7260. I have the 7369.

But it appears to be the same issue.

I'll probably RMA tomorrow.

htismaqe
08-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I RMA'd the K9N Neo V3. I ordered a K9N Platinum SLI. So I'm stepping up from the nForce 560 to the nForce 570 north bridge chipset.