PDA

View Full Version : NEW Political Poll: Liberal, Liberitarian

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2001, 04:09 PM
OK, so some of you don't like labels; fine. Neither do I because most of us are not easily pigeon-holed...HOWEVER, the question I'm trying to get at is:

IF push comes to shove, and you had to say where you come down most of the time you go into the voting booth, where do you gravitate to??? And yes, I realize some of us that are more appropriately "liberitarian", however not MANY of us VOTE that way...I don't; I am pragmatic--if they can't win, I don't waste my vote.

(I know, I know..."that's a cop-out" or "where are your priciples?"; well, frankly, I'm more realistic than principled, and IMHO, we all should be--sorry Buchanan/Nader/Smith fans, just my own take)

I'm a Chiefs fan, but also a Government teacher...and have noticed a fair amount of politically charged topics and posts.

Out-of-Curriosity, and since there's not a lot happening until July or so with FB, I'm wondering what the political mix of Chiefs fans would be...

ExtremeChief
05-10-2001, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the place bud...

I guess I would say I vote for the individual, but if I can't decide between the two, I vote for the Democrat. Or the lesser of two evils.

For instance...this year I voted for Gore not because I necessarily agreed with his platform more than Bush's. I honestly thought, ( sorry you all, just being honest) that everytime Bush spoke, he sounded like an idiot. I again apologize, just the way he made me feel.

I just dont like getting labeled as one or the other because of one view. No one should be called "racist" because of a conservative view of immigration any more than anyone that thinks some govt. programs to help the poor should be coined a "bleeding heart liberal".

staying comfortably in the Middle...

Gaz
05-11-2001, 07:46 AM
Overwhelmingly, I find myself in agreement with the Libertarian candidate [if there is one on the ballot], and I sometimes even cast my vote for a Libertarian. But I do so in the full and certain knowledge that it is a wasted vote, cast as a protest against the wretched two-party system that has irreparably stained the political landscape of this country.

Protest votes aside, I find myself voting for more often for Republicans than Democrats, but that is because I am voting against the other candidate.

For example, the Democrats could have had my vote for President this year, had they not offered up Gore. Given a choice between Gore and Bush, I reluctantly voted for Bush.

Gun to my head? Most often, the Republican is slightly less offensive than the Democrat. At least I can depend on the Supreme Court to rein in the overzealous moral imperatives of the Republicans. There is no one to rein in the insatiable Democratic hunger for more and more of my money.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not overly fond of "gun to head" choices.

yoswif
05-11-2001, 08:29 AM
As a small "L" libertatian, I had to vote for "other". I consider political parties to be a blight on any political process. Political party control invariably ends up being one party government where the one party uses it's monopoly power to maintain a powerful central government. Like we have in the U.S. with the Demopublican (or Republicrat whichever you prefer) party in total control of the most powerful central government in the history of the world.

I think all elections should be non-partisan and political parties should be no more important than any other lobbying organiztion. We should have non-partisan primaries followed by non-partisan general elections limitted to only those candidates who received a pre-determined percentage of the primary vote, like 1% to 5%. The candidate getting the most votes in the general election gets the job or in the case of the presidential election, the electoral votes. Any candidate who qualifies for the general election ballot should be afforded the same free media opportunities as any other candidate on the ballot. In the presidential race, any candidate who is on the ballot in enough states to receive an electoral majority should be considered a major candidate and afforded the same free media opportunities as any other major candidate.

There's no way to limit the power of the most powerful central government in the history of the world until we limit the power of the political party which has monopoly control over the whole political process.

Lightning Rod
05-11-2001, 09:45 AM
I am registered as a Republican. Philosophically I am Libertarian. I live in Kansas, the elections are decided in the primaries. One must attempt to pick the least offensive Republican candidate at that time. In the Presidential elections The Republican candidate always wins Kansas. Well FDR "may" have won once. While I basically agree with the Republicans economic thinking, I detest their tendency to legislate Morality. The Democrats have a tendency to think they know better than I do, how to spend "my" money. While I tend to pick the conservative candidate more often than the Liberal it is somewhat like choosing between a punch in the nose or a kick in the groin.

Rod-
considering wasting his votes in the future instead of picking the evil of two lessors.

Gaz
05-11-2001, 10:07 AM
With the exception that I am a registered Democrat, RCGChief described me exactly.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not alone anymore.

Lightning Rod
05-11-2001, 10:33 AM
Gaz-
Glad to join the party. Doo dah is a little more Democratic than the rest of the state, isn't it?

This won't win me any friends but I've often thought a moderate Democrat president and a Republican congress was about the best scenario I could hope for. Kinda of canceling each other out. I don't necessarily see gridlock as a bad thing.

KCTitus
05-11-2001, 10:35 AM
c...c...cant we all just get along? *sniff, sniff*

Gaz
05-11-2001, 10:41 AM
RCGChief-

This is too funny. Here is a quote from my post on another thread:

FWIW, I realize the Libertarian Party will never defeat the entrenched two-party system. With that in mind, the best scenario, IMO, is a solidly Republican Congress [short of veto-proof] and a Democratic President.

The Republican Congress is more likely to stay out of my wallet and the Democratic President can keep the Republicans out of my bedroom. This also requires a fairly conservative Supreme Court, to prevent judicial activism [which I consider to be an obscene violation of the separation of powers].

I wondered where those lost brain cells were going...

xoxo~
Gaz
Found the missing half of his brain.

Gaz
05-11-2001, 10:44 AM
I am a registered Democrat because I want to vote in the Democratic primary for President, hoping [so far in vain] to put a vote-worthy Democrat on the Presidential ballot. Living in Kansas, that is probably an impossible dream, but I keep following that star.

xoxo~
Gaz
Man of La DooDah Lite.

Lightning Rod
05-11-2001, 11:30 AM
Gaz-

That is too funny. I rarely find anyone who is so completely enlightened ( see agrees with me) in their political thinking. My parents lived in Wichita about 40 years ago perhaps your my illegitimate brother :) If I remember correctly you were also one of the few people who know who Dirk Pitt is.

Gaz
05-11-2001, 12:27 PM
I have not yet read the last couple of Dirk Pitt novels. Some other book has always reared its ugly head. I am now into Silence of the Lambs for the umpteenth time and it is still the best book I have ever read. The Killer Angels came very close to dislodging it, but SotL still rules.

I will pick up a Pitt novel on my next trip to the library. I could use some raw adventure fluff [no offense meant to Mr. Cussler, BTW] after my current read.

xoxo~
Gaz
Probably resembles Lector more than Pitt.

Mr. Kotter
05-11-2001, 02:28 PM
It's scarey; as I read what you and RCG have written...maybe we are triplets. (Now THAT would be scarey--three of me!). That or we are siblings separated at very young ages...

I'm right about where you two seem to be. And I thought I was special! (sniff, sniff...)

Gaz
05-11-2001, 02:36 PM
There must be a secret government facility pumping out neo-Libertarian clones by the handful. Perhaps we can finagle this into a Fox TV series and make some filthy lucre...

xoxo~
Gaz
Selling out.

keg in kc
05-11-2001, 02:38 PM
Gaz, that pretty much sounds like my political philosophy as well.

I'm a registered Democrat because it's a waste to vote as an Independent IMHO. Originally it started because my native state is West Virginia, and that completely fu*ked up state is all Democrat, but generally conservative as hell unless you're on a college campus, so you either register Democrat and get to vote, or you register something else and don't have any need to bother...

Gaz
05-11-2001, 02:41 PM
Kyle-

Welcome, fellow clone. As soon as we discover our secret powers, we will develop our plan for world domination.

xoxo~
Gaz
A small part of the vast neo-Libertarian clone conspiracy.

keg in kc
05-11-2001, 02:49 PM
If we're clones, Gaz, then how did you get the brains, whereas I got got the brains and the looks? ;)

Lightning Rod
05-11-2001, 03:02 PM
Specil powers Hummmmmmm

I have an amazing ability.

I walk in a bar, the good-looking women walk out:)

Kinda make ya wonder if all us Libertarians in Republican and Democratic clothing actually voted our counscious.... hummmm

Gaz
05-11-2001, 03:07 PM
Okay, it seems my special power is to loose my looks, brain cells and hair...

xoxo~
Gaz
Was kinda hoping for super-strength or something.

Logical
05-11-2001, 06:57 PM
Ok,

First I have read everyone of the Dirk Pitt adventures and was a little disturbed by the introduction of a replacement character in Cussler's most recent book to go to paperback. So I am another!

I am of a slightly different bent on the best combination for no action.

My selection if for a Republican President (best way to avoid activist Supreme Ct IMO), A Republican House, and a Democratic Senate with a very slight majority. This way most of the proper financial things can happen, none of the social programs get much if any worse, and finally legislated morality is severly limited.

Maybe since I also lived in doodah I am a part of the family just not in the twin/triplet category.

Gaz
05-12-2001, 08:50 AM
Logical-

Good point on the Republican President and Supreme Court nominations. I see there is a flaw in my "best case scenario."

xoxo~
Gaz
Back to the drawing board.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2001, 06:10 PM
From the limited responses, it seems as if Chiefs fans are a slightly right of center crowd...good company as far as I am concerned. Not radical either way--and right of center is more comfortable than Clinton territory which is basically the same, politically speaking that is, as Kerrey territory.

Not too surprising given my experiences I guess. And the fact were talking about the Midwest here. Well, I guess I can continue to "lurk" in peace now...LOL