PDA

View Full Version : If you could have 1 more term of any living President who would it be?

jAZ
08-19-2007, 11:41 PM
(poll)

listopencil
08-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Holy crap what a sorry list. That's who we have left? ****.

ClevelandBronco
08-20-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm going with none of the above.

keg in kc
08-20-2007, 02:27 AM
If I had a gun to my head and was forced to choose one, it would be Clinton. Although, maybe Carter; I think he's aged well, in terms of wisdom. 3rd would be GHB. So far behind, as in walking up to the starting line when the others are on the way home after the race is done, is the gentleman who's one of the 5 worst Presidents in the history of our great nation. He's done enough damage in 2 terms; I shudder to think at what he could do with a third.

ClevelandBronco
08-20-2007, 02:32 AM
If I had a gun to my head and was forced to choose one, it would be Clinton. Although, maybe Carter; I think he's aged well, in terms of wisdom. 3rd would be GHB. So far behind, as in walking up to the starting line when the others are on the way home after the race is done, is the gentleman who's one of the 5 worst Presidents in the history of our great nation. He's done enough damage in 2 terms; I shudder to think at what he could do with a third.

Carter. Uh huh.

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2007, 02:36 AM
None of the above, thanks.

keg in kc
08-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Carter. Uh huh.In the context of the discussion, sure, I see him as 2. Maybe 1b.

That doesn't put him in the top-30 all time, nor does it mean I would ever want it to happen.

It's sort of like if I got asked to pick what sitcom I had to watch for days during a long torture session: Bosom Buddies, Cosby Show, Family Ties or Golden Girls.

a1na2
08-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Ronald Reagan would be a better president than any of those listed, even in his current condition.

Jilly
08-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Clinton. In spite of some of his moral failures, I would have liked to see what he could have done. For some reason, I feel like he was just getting started.

patteeu
08-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Other than the current president, that list scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

stevieray
08-20-2007, 06:46 AM

This thread had one purpose...pimping Rodham/Clinton...I expect Jaz to switch over from prosecutor to defender sometime in the near future.

Ultra Peanut
08-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Other than the current president, that list scrapes the bottom of the barrel.The other guys merely scrape the bottom. The current one gets enough C-4 to level five city blocks and blows the shit out of the bottom.

BucEyedPea
08-20-2007, 07:05 AM
None*

*If ya' want a modern president ...I'd take Grover Cleveland.
Even over RR.

patteeu
08-20-2007, 07:06 AM
This thread had one purpose...pimping Rodham/Clinton...I expect Jaz to switch over from prosecutor to defender sometime in the near future.

No doubt about that.

StcChief
08-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Teddie Roosvelt

banyon
08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
:Lin:

banyon
08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Teddie Roosvelt

He'd be my choice too.

penchief
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Ronald Reagan would be a better president than any of those listed, even in his current condition.

You've got him and his name is George W. Bush. The same agenda only a different decade. Many of this administration's initiatives were hatched in the Reagan era. They wanted our civil liberties back then just like they do now. They attempted to undermine government regulations intended to protect the citizenry just like they are doing now.

If you want to know what a third term for Reagan would look like, just look at the first term of Bush Jr.

a1na2
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
You've got him and his name is George W. Bush. The same agenda only a different decade. Many of this administration's initiatives were hatched in the Reagan era. They wanted our civil liberties back then just like they do now. They attempted to undermine government regulations intended to protect the citizenry just like they are doing now.

If you want to know what a third term for Reagan would look like, just look at the first term of Bush Jr.

There is a large difference between the two. If you can't see that I'd suggest that you do more research. Reagan was a communicator and Bush is not. Reagan could sell a drowning man a bucket of water, Bush cannot. Reagan was charismatic, Bush is not. Reagan might have us in Iraq right now but the country would be 80-90% behind the effort. Big difference, very big difference.

The main point is that Reagan is dead (current condition) and would still be better than all choices listed.

Cochise
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Gee, I wonder why 'living' was inserted into the question... to ensure a Clinton win perhaps?

Pitt Gorilla
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd take either Bush I or Clinton.

penchief
08-20-2007, 12:16 PM
There is a large difference between the two. If you can't see that I'd suggest that you do more research. Reagan was a communicator and Bush is not. Reagan could sell a drowning man a bucket of water, Bush cannot. Reagan was charismatic, Bush is not. Reagan might have us in Iraq right now but the country would be 80-90% behind the effort. Big difference, very big difference.

The main point is that Reagan is dead (current condition) and would still be better than all choices listed.

You're talking about his personality. I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to personality.

However, I'm talking about policy, dishonesty, civil liberties, environmental protections, giving big business a free hand, the constitutional abuses, etc. etc.

When viewing Reagan's politics and his agenda, it's the same ideology and approach as Bush Jr's and the Neocons.

patteeu
08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Gee, I wonder why 'living' was inserted into the question... to ensure a Clinton win perhaps?

LOL, good question. I was wondering why he didn't use "living, never-impeached" but thanks to your post, it dawned on me that Bill Clinton wouldn't have been in that list. :thumb:

Adept Havelock
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd take either Bush I or Clinton.

Yep, and I'd lean towards Bush41. :Lin:

Excellent observation, though It's only because Carter is right there with Bush43...under the barrel. ;)

Nightwish
08-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Morally speaking, Carter is heads and shoulders above any of the other three. But he was a very weak President, as is George W. Bush. Left to his own, I don't think Bush would have done too much damage, but he's too much a puppet, and the people pulling his strings are very dangerous people. Carter wouldn't become a puppet of the neocons, but he would probably be controlled just as easily by groups just as radical to the other side of the spectrum, and that would be no better. That leaves just George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Neither a saint nor a devil, either of them, as high-level politicos go. Both were very ballsy in some areas (no pun intended), and quite spineless in others, so in that regard, both are about equal. But I think of the two, Clinton was more effective, overall, better at finagling others to do what he wanted, better at smooth talking and diplomacy.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
out of that list, it has to be Clinton

jAZ
08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
You'd think the "Winston Churchill of the 21st Century" should be able to hold his own next to a "hillbilly adulterer".

Adept Havelock
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
You'd think the "Winston Churchill of the 21st Century" should be able to hold his own next to a "hillbilly adulterer".

ROFL

Ouch.

a1na2
08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
You're talking about his personality. I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to personality.

However, I'm talking about policy, dishonesty, civil liberties, environmental protections, giving big business a free hand, the constitutional abuses, etc. etc.

When viewing Reagan's politics and his agenda, it's the same ideology and approach as Bush Jr's and the Neocons.

I don't agree, but I understand how you could see that from your side of the political world.

mlyonsd
08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I had to vote for W since he's the only one that has really proven he's ready to do what it takes to protect my family.

And when I say do what it takes I mean his actions truly depict his convictions and not what some poll tries to tell him what to do.

banyon
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
I had to vote for W since he's the only one that has really proven he's ready to do what it takes to protect my family.

And when I say do what it takes I mean his actions truly depict his convictions and not what some poll tries to tell him what to do.

I thought you lived in South Dakota. I did not realize you had moved to China.

Logical
08-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Poll results are shocking, who on earth other than Patteeu would want the President Bush over the first Bush. Totally illogical to me. Also shocking that UD wants to return to the malaise of Carter.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Poll results are shocking, who on earth other than Patteeu would want the President Bush over the first Bush. Totally illogical to me.

they have drank the kool-aid and enjoyed the taste

Logical
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM

We don't agree often but sometimes we do. This is one of those times.

a1na2
08-20-2007, 07:21 PM
We don't agree often but sometimes we do. This is one of those times.

Did ya at least have a sharp pain between your ears?

mlyonsd
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I thought you lived in South Dakota. I did not realize you had moved to China.

You can mock me all you want, and there are those on this board that will laugh with you, but in the end I stand by my post.

But in the end my post stands.

ENDelt260
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
(no pun intended)

None detected.

Logical
08-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Alright I am now mocking you. mock mock mock

Adept Havelock
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM
You can mock me all you want, and there are those on this board that will laugh with you, but in the end I stand by my post.

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups water
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 30 buttery round crackers
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
* 1 cup crushed buttery round crackers
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine the water, sugar and cream of tartar; bring to boil.
3. Drop in whole crackers and boil for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into pie shell; sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon juice.
4. Mix together the crushed crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter; sprinkle over pie filling.
5. Bake for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Serve warm.

banyon
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM

But in the end my post stands.

I did not catch CNN today. Did I miss an announcement by the WH that they had secured the border and will inspect incoming cargo now?

mlyonsd
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Alright I am now mocking you. mock mock mock

Fair enough....I'll enjoy the coming months when I take the upcoming election more seriously. Then it will be mock mock mock right back. Maybe with a bird at the end too.

mlyonsd
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups water
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 30 buttery round crackers
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
* 1 cup crushed buttery round crackers
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine the water, sugar and cream of tartar; bring to boil.
3. Drop in whole crackers and boil for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into pie shell; sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon juice.
4. Mix together the crushed crackers, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter; sprinkle over pie filling.
5. Bake for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Serve warm.

Who the F thought up that recipe? Why would you add lemon juice to the rest of those ingredients? F'ing amateurs.

mlyonsd
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I did not catch CNN today. Did I miss an announcement by the WH that they had secured the border and will inspect incoming cargo now?

I didn't watch CNN either, I missed where you or your family got blown to smithereens.

Like I side, you can mock me all you want, but everything Bush has done since 911 has been intended to protect your sorry ass. Sorry as it is for not admitting his motives.

History will tell the tale, maybe long after I'm gone. My only hope is someday you'll come to the conclusion that even if you didn't/don't agree with Bush's policies, he spent his presidency protecting you.

The problem with people like you is they don't look at motives. Instead they focus on their own political beliefs.

banyon
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I didn't watch CNN either, I missed where you or your family got blown to smithereens.

Like I side, you can mock me all you want, but everything Bush has done since 911 has been intended to protect your sorry ass. Sorry as it is for not admitting his motives.

History will tell the tale, maybe long after I'm gone. My only hope is someday you'll come to the conclusion that even if you didn't/don't agree with Bush's policies, he spent his presidency protecting you.

The problem with people like you is they don't look at motives. Instead they focus on their own political beliefs.

After 9-11 I went out and bought a Playstation 2. I have played it consistently for the last few years and we have not been attacked by terrorists since. Clearly my use of the PS2 has staved off any further terrorist attacks. I have also not been attacked by Bears, Lions, or Tigers.

Oh and the "history will tell the tale" bit that Bush apologists have to resort to these days (since most people can see his Presidency right now for the disaster it has been).
Who knows, maybe Carl Peterson is really the Best GM in NFL history? We'll have to wait and see...

Nightwish
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
None detected.
"Ballsy" ... "Clinton" ... blue dress ...

Do the math.

wazu
08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll take whichever one was able to balance the budget.

BucEyedPea
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I'll take whichever one was able to balance the budget.
I believe that would be Carter then.
Funny how things pan out in reality.

SoCalBronco
08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Not impressed with any of the living presidents.

If you extended it to anyone who served past 1950, I would choose Nixon, because right now we need someone who is a big time stud at foreign policy and we also need a pragmatic, moderate and creative domestic policy.

Logical
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I believe that would be Carter then.
Funny how things pan out in reality.You completely lost me in this one. Carter wrecked the economy, double digit inflation and double digit unemployment, not to mention the 20% interest rates.

ChiefaRoo
08-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Ronaldus Maximus in a landslide. You left him out on purpose just because you knew he'd win.

Logical
08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Ronaldus Maximus in a landslide. You left him out on purpose just because you knew he'd win.

When did they revive him, was he branded with 666, you know prophecy is that a great leader would rise again to lead his people.

Silock
08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Bush 1 or Clinton here, as well. I voted for Bush just because the poll was so slanted.

Nightwish
08-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Bush 1 or Clinton here, as well. I voted for Bush just because the poll was so slanted.
How was it slanted? It listed all the still living presidents. It listed two Republicans and two Democrats. It listed one trainwreck of a president of each party, and one middling to successful president of each party. It listed one single-term and one two-term president of each party. The question wasn't loaded. I don't think the poll could have been less slanted.