PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome

j molina
05-11-2001, 08:07 AM
http://www.geocities.com/fonkaytown/

Someone who is most surely NOT a fan of 'The Jungle' put this website together. A bit over the top but not too terribly graphic. Check it out.

JM

BCD
05-11-2001, 09:44 AM
that was funny!

ct
05-11-2001, 09:48 AM
Proxy says NO DEALS!!

Could you elaborate please?

ct

Joe Seahawk
05-11-2001, 09:55 AM
http://www.geocities.com/fonkaytown/images/romb2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/fonkaytown/images/romeanim.gif

j molina
05-11-2001, 02:47 PM
Joe,

all I see are red x's

JM

NaptownChief
05-11-2001, 05:18 PM
That is great....

I wouldn't give a plug nickle for Rome's thoughts...Only thing I can say I like about Rome is his constant slamming of Raider fan and the worthless WNBA...

Frazod
05-11-2001, 05:18 PM
Damn, that was funny. I wonder if Rome really is only 5'2". It certainly would explain a lot.

Perhaps we could get Prince to kick his a$$.

One Arrowhead Dave
05-11-2001, 07:40 PM
Jim Rome is a turd.

tommykat
05-11-2001, 07:57 PM
Who is this guy?? I'm :confused:. Not to mention, how do you all find this stuff??. Guess I live a sheltered life huh? :)

milkman
05-11-2001, 08:12 PM
I may be the only guy on here that likes Rome. When I first started to listen to him, I didn't like him at all, but I didn't have any other choice. After listening to him for 2-3 weeks, I realized if you can get past the smaque, he has some solid thoughts on the world of sports, and athletes, coaches, front office personnel and owners seem to genuinely like him.
I've had the opportunity to listen to some of the other shows available to national audiences. I'll take the jungle.
Just a sidenote here.
Dan Patrick is about the most boring person on the face of the earth.

milkman
05-11-2001, 08:20 PM
BTW, Jim Rome is the host of a national syndicated sports talk show, and also has a show on FOX Sports called The Last Word. You may recall a few years ago he had a show on ESPN, and, while interveiwing Jim Everett, then the QB of the LA Rams, referred to him as Chrissy because of Everett's reputation as a wuss in the pocket. Everett jumped up and knocked Romey over.
Pretty brave act there. Chrissy, at 6'5" going after the diminuitve one, Romey, only 5'2".

Frazod
05-11-2001, 08:26 PM
This is just a thought, but maybe a 5'2" smart-a$$ wienie should know better than to accuse a 6'5" professional athlete of basically being a pu$$y to his face. This would seem to fall into the "duh" category.

Rome sucks. Too bad Everett didn't knock his teeth out.

Warrior5
05-11-2001, 08:26 PM
I have to admit I like him too. I don't agree with everything he says, but sometimes he has me laughing so hard I almost have to pull over to avoid wrecking.
His take on "Soccer fan" the other day had me close to tears, and when he talked about "mimes, mascots, and mutant dogs" at sporting events, I laughed so hard it hurt.

milkman
05-11-2001, 08:43 PM
Frazod,
This is just a thought. Maybe a 6'5" professional athlete should consider proving his toughness on something other than a 5'2" sports talk show host.
The football field comes to mind. Oh wait, he proved he's not tough on the football field. Rome just voiced what the average fan thought of Chrissy. By going after Rome, he only proved that he's an idiot, as well as a wuss.

NaptownChief
05-11-2001, 08:44 PM
I don't like him cause I can't get past all of the morons that call in and want to talk just like him...I also want to vomit every time he talks to a black athlete cause he always goes into his "super cool, I'm one of you" mode....

But I can still trudge through that garbage and get a good laugh...I remember when he was talking a couple years ago about that 14 year old boy that was caught laying the wood to his school teacher, I bout fell out of my car...

That short guy chip on the shoulder all but guarantees that he is a real prick off the air also...But I must say it is better than listening to the fabulous sports blab...

NaptownChief
05-11-2001, 08:51 PM
Milk,

I have to strongly disagree with you on that...I watched that episode live back when he was on ESPN2 and Rome was being a unprofessional, childish prick...There is not a man alive that has any pride whatsoever that would not have rolled that guy...Everett on multiple occasion tried to be professional and told him to cool it but Rome pushed to the point he should have been left face down in a pool of blood...

On a side note, it is pretty ridiculous for anyone that has not played NFL football to challenge the manhood of someone who has the balls to play at that level...Everett played at a pro bowl level for several years...You don't play at a Pro Bowl level in the NFL by being a skirt...

Frazod
05-11-2001, 09:10 PM
Damn, JL stole my thunder. He pretty much said everything I was about to. I'm no Jim Everett fan, but the fact that he was a professional football player proves he's certainly not a pu$$, at least not compared to Rome, or pretty much any of us, for that matter.

We judge these guys as they relate to their peers, not us. Would you go up to Chester McGlockton one-on-one and say "Hey, you fat doughnut eating piece of sh!t, you couldn't tackle a mannequin!"? I sure wouldn't - he'd kick my 5'8" *** in a split second. Rome just pushed and pushed Everett, and got off pretty light, IMO. These sportsmedia scumbags (and media scumbags in general, for that matter) seem to think they have the right to say anything they want to, to anyone. Everett is a man who dedicated his life to the game. He deserves better than to be belitted on national television by some obnoxious little turd who couldn't arm tackle a girl scout.

I feel the same way about Jim Gray, who should consider himself damn lucky that Pete Rose didn't shove that microphone straight up his a$$. I'd personally have applauded if he had.

AustinChief
05-11-2001, 09:19 PM
Here is the link to the quicktime of Jim Rome getting whupped...

http://dedicated.goofball.com/goofball/media/2001/chris1.mov

Beautiful!

--Kyle

AustinChief
05-11-2001, 09:31 PM
Oh and an added bonus... my favorite still from the clip...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/images/punked.jpg

keg in kc
05-11-2001, 09:35 PM
Man, as much as I think Rome looks like a little b!tch with a goatee, he looks even worse without one.

Frazod
05-11-2001, 09:42 PM
God, that was classic!

I remember this, but to be honest until it was mentioned in this thread I never realized it was Rome who was involved. He certainly changed him image, didn't he? I guess because he has short hair and a goutee we're supposed to think he's tough...

Too bad he didn't change his act.

Again, Bravo, Jim Everett!

keg in kc
05-11-2001, 09:44 PM
I'd never realized that was Rome either, frazod.

milkman
05-11-2001, 10:07 PM
I won't defend Rome's behavior.
But if Chrissy can't prove his manhood in his field of endeavor, don't step outside of that arena and try to prove your manhood against a man half your size. Chrissy has the one famous play that is now referred to as the phantom sack, but that play wasn't an aberation. He showed his fear of getting hit on numerous occassions.
Romey may have been wrong, but Everett should have walked away. If it had been a man his size, he would have. I have no respect for that kind of person.

Brock
05-11-2001, 10:51 PM
The Jim Rome show is funny as hell. Some of you take his show a lot more seriously than he does.

Frazod
05-11-2001, 11:00 PM
It may well be, but I no longer watch it. I don't watch shows hosted by people who, IMO, are noxious, annoying a$$sholes - I have to put up with enough of them in real life - don't need them on my TV or radio.

List of other f#ckheads I won't listen to or watch for the same reason:

Bill Maher
Rosie O'Donnell
Paul Begala
Mancow Mueller
The limey b!tch from Weakest Link
Dr. Laura (one of the cruelest human beings alive, IMO)
All televangelists

If I wouldn't invite them into my home in real life, I won't do it electronically, either. That's sort of my litmus test.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-11-2001, 11:33 PM
I would comment on Rome, but I don't have liberty to do so, being he speaks a different language and all...

When I listen, all I here is, "jungle this" and "jungle that" and "c town" and "b town" and "clone bla bla" does he speak a different language or what? Its like he's trying to be a cool guy or lack there of.

CG

thinks the guy is a weirdo

milkman
05-11-2001, 11:39 PM
Frazod,
Hate to tell you this, and this is not intended as an insult, just an observation by a regular jungle listener.
You'd make an outstanding clone. Your takes are fresh.
The best clones are the ones that don't try to be Romey.

Radar Chief
05-11-2001, 11:43 PM
AustinChief,
I cannot thank you enough for providing this link. I've heard of this several times, but never seen it.

Milkman,
It wouldn't matter where we were. If you were to call me derogatory names like that, I would pop you square in the teeth with out the repeated warnings that Chris... er, Jim gave Rome.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-11-2001, 11:48 PM
I would listen to Rome show more if...

#1 I had more time
#2 if he would be more secure and talk with his real voice and stop trying to be a big boy

seriously, he mumbles also, and sometimes I can't understand a word he says

Frazod
05-11-2001, 11:51 PM
Milkman, no offense taken (I think) but a couple of questions:

1. What is a clone, as the term relates to Rome? I hope this doesn't mean you think I'm a Rome clone. That would annoy me a bit. :mad:

2. Please translate "your takes are fresh" into something a non-hip, thirty-something white guy can understand.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-11-2001, 11:54 PM
What I really don't like is when some callers will say "man" before and after everything they say. Is it because they're nervous or are they trying to be "hip?"

CG

seriously why do some callers do that...its annoying, IMO

milkman
05-11-2001, 11:57 PM
Radar,
I learned a long time ago, having had to fight my way through high school, and having been in front of a Captain's Mast in the Navy, words are just that, words. There is nothing that any one can say, or names that any one can call me that will drag me into a physical confrontation again. It just doesn't prove anything.
I can always walk away from words.

milkman
05-12-2001, 12:05 AM
Frazod,
A clone, as defined by Rome, is anyone that listens to the show regularly. When I suggested that you'd be an outstanding clone, I'm really saying if you were a caller, as well as a listener, I would enjoy the thoughts that you share.
Fresh would be defined as subject matter that isn't copied from someone else's ideas, and presented in an entertaining manner.

And let me tell ya, there isn't anyone as unhip as I am.
42 year old white male that thinks that the Beatles began the decline of Rock and Roll.

Frazod
05-12-2001, 12:10 AM
Okay, but I must disagree. While my views may well be fresh, I have no desire to be a Rome clone.

Although there are those who would agree that I am an obnoxious, annoying a$$hole. Many of them post here regularly, in fact.... :D

And I don't think the Beatles started the decline of rock, but I absolutely believe it got a helluva lot better after they went away. Hippie freaks.

Radar Chief
05-12-2001, 12:11 AM
Thatís good Milkman,
Iím glad you can turn the other cheek.
Iím also sure that, being of a mild temperament you would not go around throwing insults like Rome did.
I try to be as patient with others as you, but if someone is after me like Rome was on Chris, there is something that they are obviously after and they shouldnít wine when that something turns out to be more than they can handle.

alanm
05-12-2001, 12:11 AM
I dunno, I take him for what he's worth. His job is to stir up controversy and he certainly does that! I get a kick though when he calls my home town of Omaha Bugaha.

Radar Chief
05-12-2001, 12:16 AM
Now you've got me saying it. Exchange "Chris" for "Jim".

milkman
05-12-2001, 12:30 AM
Radar,
I wouldn't call my temperament mild. I've just learned to control it, and found other ways to release my aggressions, although there are still a number of people that consider me to be an Ahole.

Frazod,
Rock and Roll got better after the Beatles? Not in my book.

Frazod
05-12-2001, 12:34 AM
The late 70's came after the Beatles. Eagles, Boston, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc. My classic era.

But we've already exhausted the music thing in another thread.

I'm outta here. And I am happy to report that I have now streaked by Russ to move into No. 8 on the No-Life List of Most Frequent Posters (I think I'm happy about it?).

Look out, Gaz, YOU'RE NEXT! :mad:

Goodnight to all.

Frazod
05-13-2001, 10:47 PM
Just pulling up a harmless thread in order to bury the topic that's screwing up the index page. This should fix the index.

Frazod
05-13-2001, 10:49 PM
There, that did it. That's been annoying the hell out of me all day.

Joe Seahawk
05-13-2001, 10:58 PM
I was wondering what the hell was going on with the page...

Rome is a Dork by the way..since I'm on this thread....Joe

Frazod
05-13-2001, 11:14 PM
I concur, Joe.

In answer to your question, TommyKat put a long link in a thread title which screwed up the index page. The same thing happened on the Star BB fairly frequently. A harmless mistake with annoying consequences.

AustinChief
05-14-2001, 12:16 AM
What browser are you guys using?

I would have fixed it.... but I'm using IE and I didn't notice any probs...

I'll take a look at the code and see if I can make sure that it can't happen again...

--Kyle

redhed
05-14-2001, 02:17 PM
with people rubbernecking via the radio. He contributes nothing to sports. He makes a nice living mocking sports and athletes in general.

Whassamattah, Jimmy? Couldn't make the high school jockey team?

Having said that, I've listened to his show a coupla times and I must say that I've had a good, hearty laugh at some of the crap he has had on there.

I can take 'im or leave 'im; usually leave 'im.

I like my sports talk with a little more substance, but Rome's good for a laugh every now & 'den.