PDA

View Full Version : It's official, iPods are the biggest piece of crap ever made

Baconeater
08-21-2007, 11:20 PM
:cuss:

So all of a sudden I start getting this on my iPod screen:

http://images.apple.com/support/ipod/images/sad_ipod_icon.gif

It also displays a web address, and this is what I found out:

iPod displays a sad iPod icon

Issue or symptom:

iPod displays a sad iPod icon

and

iPod is not recognized in iTunes
iPod is not recognized in My Computer (Windows) or iPod not recognized in Finder (Mac OS X)

Products affected:
Any iPod with an LCD display

Solution:
In most cases, the sad iPod icon indicates a hardware issue. If you are able to force iPod into Disk Mode, then it may not be a hardware issue, and you should try to restore your iPod with the latest software.

If you cannot force your iPod into disk mode and restore it, then your iPod is in need of service. Set up an iPod Service Request or make a reservation at the Genius Bar before visiting your local Apple Retail Store. To make a reservation go to www.apple.com/retail, choose an Apple Store location, then click on the "Make a reservation" link.

WTF is this? Has anyone else had this problem? If so, can it even be fixed? And how much will it cost me? Or should I just smash the ****ing thing with a hammer?

Count Alex's Losses
08-21-2007, 11:21 PM
iPods = marketing

My sister bought a different brand at my reccomendation and can't believe how much easier it is to use. Just drag and drop baby...no iTunes bullshit.

Baconeater
08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
iPods = marketing

My sister bought a different brand at my reccomendation and can't believe how much easier it is to use. Just drag and drop baby...no iTunes bullshit.
If I bought a different brand of player, could I still upload music to it using iTunes? I'd hate to have to switch over to something else, that sounds complicated.

Mr Luzcious
08-21-2007, 11:30 PM
iPods = marketing

What brand would this be?

DenverChief
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Remember the search function?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=165637&highlight=ipod

http://home.comcast.net/~mypcwrench/biffbonk.gif

Baconeater
08-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh great, so I try to make my ****ing reservation at the Genius Bar before visiting my local Apple Retail Store, and this is what I get:

Unfortunately, all reservations are currently booked. Please check back again later.

**** YOU APPLE! **** YOU AND YOUR ****ING iPod!

Baconeater
08-21-2007, 11:40 PM

**** YOU TOO!

Edit: I'll be a son of a....

ROFL Holy shit it worked!

DenverChief
08-22-2007, 12:13 AM
**** YOU TOO!

Nice...your welcome :)

Baconeater
08-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Nice...your welcome :)
I thought about doing a search, but I figured I'd just end up finding 637 different iPod rulezz!/iPod suckzz! threads.

pr_capone
08-22-2007, 12:17 AM
LMFAO

Yup... mine is still working.

YOU ARE WELCOME! :D

DenverChief
08-22-2007, 12:23 AM
LMFAO

Yup... mine is still working.

YOU ARE WELCOME! :D

Thanks for sharing your story I think this is probably the third person I have directed to this thread....first from CP

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2007, 12:27 AM
If I bought a different brand of player, could I still upload music to it using iTunes? I'd hate to have to switch over to something else, that sounds complicated.

I don't know, but why would you want to use iTunes? It's MUCH simpler just to drag and drop into the mp3 player like an external hard drive.

DenverChief
08-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I don't know, but why would you want to use iTunes? It's MUCH simpler just to drag and drop into the mp3 player like an external hard drive.

Only a retart couldn't work Itunes

Baconeater
08-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't know, but why would you want to use iTunes?
Well for one, it's installed in my computer, and I have a shitload of music in it.

It's MUCH simpler just to drag and drop into the mp3 player like an external hard drive.
And the other reason is I'm technologically challenged and I have no idea what you mean by that.

Baconeater
08-22-2007, 12:36 AM
iTunes is easy to use, but it still can be a pain in the ass at times. It seems they want me to update to a newer version every month or so, and one time the dicknozzles even suspended me from using the iTunes music store until I updated my software.

DenverChief
08-22-2007, 12:41 AM
iTunes is easy to use, but it still can be a pain in the ass at times. It seems they want me to update to a newer version every month or so, and one time the dicknozzles even suspended me from using the iTunes music store until I updated my software.

yeah they do do that alot for some reason...minor annoyance to PC security updates...ever been suspended tho

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2007, 01:02 AM
And the other reason is I'm technologically challenged and I have no idea what you mean by that.

It appears the iPod is perfect for you.

Miles
08-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Wait but it's MUCH easier to drag and drop like a hard drive rather than dragging and dropping music to your damn iPod playlist within iTunes.

Silock
08-22-2007, 01:27 AM

What are you talking about? Within iTunes is drag and drop as well, except you can just drag playlists and it drags all of the songs in the playlist.

How is that not at the very least, just as easy?

Silock
08-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Oh great, so I try to make my ****ing reservation at the Genius Bar before visiting my local Apple Retail Store, and this is what I get:

Unfortunately, all reservations are currently booked. Please check back again later.

**** YOU APPLE! **** YOU AND YOUR ****ING iPod!

Last time I had a problem, I just walked right in. They fit me in.

DenverChief
08-22-2007, 01:35 AM
yes!

I have been wanting to post under one of your posts for a while

:p

pr_capone
08-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Yeah.... Itunes sucks. I use Yamipod for all my ipod needs. :D

It is free and unlike Itunes... you can pull music off of your ipod and back into your, or someone elses, hard drive!

Silock
08-22-2007, 01:52 AM
yes!

I have been wanting to post under one of your posts for a while

:p

I don't know whether to feel complimented, or scared ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2007, 02:32 AM
It is free and unlike Itunes... you can pull music off of your ipod and back into your, or someone elses, hard drive!

Jesus. I had no idea it couldn't even do that. What a horrible program.

pr_capone
08-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Jesus. I had no idea it couldn't even do that. What a horrible program.

From what I understand... Itunes *HAD* to be set up like that due to DRM issues.

Yamipod on the other hand had no such restrictions.

patteeu
08-22-2007, 07:16 AM

No you couldn't. And you couldn't play music that you download from the iTunes store without the hassle of converting the format.

But iTunes is just a front end for your collection of .mp3s. If you had a different brand of player, you could still use any nonprotected music (e.g. music that you didn't buy from the iTunes store) by dragging and dropping from a windows directory using Windows Explorer or by using the software that comes with the other player. You lose iTunes' playlist and organizational capabilities though.

The only reasons to buy a non-iPod over an iPod, IMO, are if you want to save a few bucks (you pay a premium for the iPod brand) or if you want to transfer music from one computer to another with your mp3 player. And the latter of these two issues can be resolved with 3rd party software. Otherwise, don't believe the iPod haters.

patteeu
08-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Speak of the devil. There's a Microsoft Zune 30 GB mp3 player available on www.woot.com today for $150. That's about half of what you'd pay for an iPod with the same capacity. I don't know if Zunes are any good, but that's a pretty good price.

Short Leash Hootie
08-22-2007, 07:28 AM
I bought a 1 GB MP3 player for 25.00...

ZepSinger
08-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Screw IPods. I download MP3s from Rhapsody to my Treo w. a 2 gig card. Whoever said IPods = marketing was dead on.

Z

StcChief
08-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Proprietary= Bad.

DMAC
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
So have you tried dropping it on the ground yet?

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Proprietary= Bad.

Bingo!

**** apple. Up the ass.

DenverChief
08-22-2007, 09:11 AM
So have you tried dropping it on the ground yet?

**** YOU TOO!

Cochise
08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Mine gets corrupted all the time. Just randomly, I'll start a track, and the whole thing will lock up. You have to do the reset routine to get it to do anything (plugging it into the computer doesn't work), and then you have to restore it and load all your crap onto it again.

I got it as a gift so I'm still using it... but I would never spend my own money on an Apple player. It's utterly featureless. All it does is play music in order or shuffle them. Other players have FM radios, can play all kinds of formats, don't limit you to how many computers you can use the player on (I can't sync my player with both my work PC and home PC, for example :rolleyes: ) or lock up your music collection after a while (I got a new laptop from work, I had to do a system rebuild at home, and voila! Everything I've bought from iTunes is a worthless pile of used disc space. Thanks Apple)

Really, Apple presents the exact same problem as Microsoft in this market, except in this case there are good alternatives. I am just playing along because I got the thing for free.

Redrum_69
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
From what I understand... Itunes *HAD* to be set up like that due to DRM issues.

Yamipod on the other hand had no such restrictions.

lol you are a member of the wichita swing dance club!

kaplin42
08-22-2007, 12:22 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/kaplin42/Mac.jpg

pr_capone
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
lol you are a member of the wichita swing dance club!

Yup... we've been over this several times now.

*awe* Eric likes to dance *amazement*

Silock
08-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Mine gets corrupted all the time. Just randomly, I'll start a track, and the whole thing will lock up. You have to do the reset routine to get it to do anything (plugging it into the computer doesn't work), and then you have to restore it and load all your crap onto it again.

How old is this iPod? Sounds like you've got a bad one.

I got it as a gift so I'm still using it... but I would never spend my own money on an Apple player. It's utterly featureless. All it does is play music in order or shuffle them.

And play games, store your contacts, store your files and your photos, and watch movies.

Other players have FM radios, can play all kinds of formats,

Not all MP3 players have FM radios, and I'm not sure what the hell other kind of formats you'd want to use besides MP3, AAC, audiobook, AIFF, or WAV.

don't limit you to how many computers you can use the player on (I can't sync my player with both my work PC and home PC, for example :rolleyes: )

Of course you can't *sync* it to both. You can, however, connect it just fine.

or lock up your music collection after a while (I got a new laptop from work, I had to do a system rebuild at home, and voila! Everything I've bought from iTunes is a worthless pile of used disc space. Thanks Apple)

You do know you can re-download the tracks you've purchased from Apple, right?

morphius
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
The drag and drop idea sucks because I have 30 GB of music, and a lot of it is from my wifes cd's and children cd's that I have no urge to have on my mp3 player that I use. Best solution for me is to create playlists and then have the entire playlist copied over.