PDA

View Full Version : I just got through watching "13 Days" for the millionth time....

CHIEF4EVER
08-22-2007, 02:44 AM
...and I am still convinced he was one of the greatest Presidents we have ever had. In spite of the Bay of Pigs fiasco. A little background:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/JFK+in+History/Cuban+Missile+Crisis.htm

ClevelandBronco
08-22-2007, 03:06 AM
It's a movie. Yes, it's a good movie, but it's just a movie.

It's a freaking movie.

Moo-vee.

CHIEF4EVER
08-22-2007, 03:08 AM
It's a movie. Yes, it's a good movie, but it's just a movie.

It's a freaking movie.

Moo-vee.
I realize that bro. Based on history. Do you recall the history behind this event? JFK saved hundreds of millions of lives. Hun-dreds of mill-ions.

The moo-vee just serves as a reminder...........

ClevelandBronco
08-22-2007, 03:33 AM
I realize that bro. Based on history. Do you recall the history behind this event? JFK saved hundreds of millions of lives. Hun-dreds of mill-ions.

The moo-vee just serves as a reminder...........

Good for him. Stop getting your history from movies.

CHIEF4EVER
08-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Good for him. Stop getting your history from movies.

LMAO. You evidently didn't click on the link........

The moo-vee is a reminder, not the source. Thanks for playing.

ClevelandBronco
08-22-2007, 03:58 AM
LMAO. You evidently didn't click on the link........

The moo-vee is a reminder, not the source. Thanks for playing.

Hey, give me a source for your thoughts that doesn't rely on regurgitating a movie, and I'll take you seriously. Otherwise, you're just a guy who watches movies.

Amnorix
08-22-2007, 07:59 AM
...and I am still convinced he was one of the greatest Presidents we have ever had. In spite of the Bay of Pigs fiasco. A little background:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/JFK+in+History/Cuban+Missile+Crisis.htm

The entire Cuban Missile Crisis was unnecessary, really. We were already developing nuclear subs, adn so were they, that would sit closer to our shores than Cuba.

Pretty dumb to risk armageddon over something that gives you no advantage at all a year or two down the road.

JFK did some good things, and some not so good things, but he's not the great President some have made him out to be, IMHO.

Amnorix
08-22-2007, 08:09 AM

He did? How so?

The USSR was going to launch nukes at us were they? When we had more nukes than them, in neighboring countries?

And if they were going to launch nukes at us in '62, then why didn't they launch a nuclear attack on us once they were able to utilize SLBMs very shortly thereafter?

If the Cuban Missile Crisis achieved anything, it showed that America wasn't going to "back down" from the USSR, which is not an insignificant thing. I'm not sure, given the context of the times, that it was particularly worthwhile, however. Nothing leading up to '62 indicated that the US was anything other than a formidable enemy that was willing to do pretty much anything to contain Communist (see Korean War, Berlin Airlift, Marshall Plan, Greece in the late '40s etc ad infinitum).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-21

CHIEF4EVER
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
The entire Cuban Missile Crisis was unnecessary, really. We were already developing nuclear subs, adn so were they, that would sit closer to our shores than Cuba.

Pretty dumb to risk armageddon over something that gives you no advantage at all a year or two down the road.

JFK did some good things, and some not so good things, but he's not the great President some have made him out to be, IMHO.

Yes, the entire crisis was unnecessary but forced on JFK by the Russians. It was a Cold War game of chicken, and the stakes were escalation. If the US had allowed the Russians to keep their MRBMs in Cuba, the Russians would have continued to escalate and push. JFK handled the situation masterfully given the pressures to go to war from the hawks in the military, the lack of support of Congress and the stigma of weakness that remained from his father.

StcChief
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
but..but.. he boned Marilyn Monroe and became what Billie Jeff Clinton wanted to be. He must be good. :rolleyes:

Amnorix
08-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, the entire crisis was unnecessary but forced on JFK by the Russians. It was a Cold War game of chicken, and the stakes were escalation. If the US had allowed the Russians to keep their MRBMs in Cuba, the Russians would have continued to escalate and push. JFK handled the situation masterfully given the pressures to go to war from the hawks in the military, the lack of support of Congress and the stigma of weakness that remained from his father.

I'll be as generous as I can be:

that's one way to look at it.

Cochise
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
You could make an argument that he saved hundreds of millions of lives, that you could argue he put at risk in the first place.

StcChief
08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
You could make an argument that he saved hundreds of millions of lives, that you could argue he put at risk in the first place.
No sh1t