PDA

View Full Version : Exchange Server question..

chasedude
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm looking for software that will save me time on configuring new users on a client system automatically with their exchange server settings. Something like a simple executable file or maybe even a script?

Does anyone know of such a creature? Much help appreciated!

StcChief
08-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Check the m$ forums etc. I wouldn't use it.

chasedude
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Check the m$ forums etc. I wouldn't use it.

If one was there, why wouldn't you use it?

StcChief
08-22-2007, 10:33 AM
If one was there, why wouldn't you use it?
I wouldn't use M$. Plenty of other options, if your company is sold on their BS good luck, I've seen to many companies regretting the M$/Exchange option for email.

Hope it works out for you.

Saulbadguy
08-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Ours works that way. No idea how it works, though.

Braincase
08-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Exchange 2007> Outlook 2007> Enable Autodiscover... done.

kaplin42
08-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Yeah the latest version of Outlook is incredibly easy to set up. I believe even if you have Exchange 2k3 and Outlook 2k7 you can still do the above.

As for having problems with Exchange, I use it daily and its great. Hell of a lot better than Lotus Notes or Eudora.

dirk digler
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Are you looking for a program to create their Outlook profile on the PC?

We use a product called Oprofile that does this.

Hopefully sometime later this year I will be migrating to Exchange 2007 for our company. People who complain about Exchange don't really know what they are talking about.

The earlier versions of Exchange sucked but 2003 with SP2 and 2007 are great products.

chasedude
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM

2k3 in both cases :( I work Non-profit hard to come up with the cash to justify the new versions.

chasedude
08-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Are you looking for a program to create their Outlook profile on the PC?

We use a product called Oprofile that does this.

Hopefully sometime later this year I will be migrating to Exchange 2007 for our company. People who complain about Exchange don't really know what they are talking about.

The earlier versions of Exchange sucked but 2003 with SP2 and 2007 are great products.

I'm looking for a program that they input a username and it automatically loads the exchange server settings in outlook. Maybe even automatically setup their signature with our email confidentiality statement.

I don't know when I'll handle the switch to 2k7 here. Will have to think about it next year when we apply for some Gov't Grants.

Fish
08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm looking for a program that they input a username and it automatically loads the exchange server settings in outlook. Maybe even automatically setup their signature with our email confidentiality statement.

I don't know when I'll handle the switch to 2k7 here. Will have to think about it next year when we apply for some Gov't Grants.

Can't you just create a user template to use when you create the user object in AD?

Set up your object template with the info you want, and when you create a new user, select the template in Active Directory Users and Computers and then choose Copy from the Action menu. The New Object Wizard opens, letting you create the new object. All the information that you entered as part of the template becomes part of the new object, and you can reconfigure the new object using its property sheet, as you normally would.

That way when they start Outlook for the first time, you enter their name, and it queries AD for the rest of the info and fills it in...

wutamess
08-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Can't you just create a user template to use when you create the user object in AD?

Set up your object template with the info you want, and when you create a new user, select the template in Active Directory Users and Computers and then choose Copy from the Action menu. The New Object Wizard opens, letting you create the new object. All the information that you entered as part of the template becomes part of the new object, and you can reconfigure the new object using its property sheet, as you normally would.

That way when they start Outlook for the first time, you enter their name, and it queries AD for the rest of the info and fills it in...

I'm guessing this is the way it works in our environment as well...
ksushark can tell you for sure though.

Simplex3
08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
2k3 in both cases :( I work Non-profit hard to come up with the cash to justify the new versions.
You work for a non-profit that pissed away money on Exchange? LMAO

chasedude
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Before my time here :cuss:

chasedude
08-22-2007, 03:16 PM

I'll try that Fish and see if it'll work. I don't have Group policies setup on this network because of some of my vpn's don't have the greatest connectivity. Hopefully a template will take care of that for me.

StcChief
08-22-2007, 03:20 PM

running on (the m$ salesman model) the GUI is so easy to use anybody can do it. So you save in the long run. ROFL

chasedude
08-22-2007, 03:38 PM
running on (the m$ salesman model) the GUI is so easy to use anybody can do it. So you save in the long run. ROFL

Heh... not with the morons I work with :shake: