PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs may offer contracts to Glen Cadrez and Jason Belser...

DaWolf
05-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Linebacker Glenn Cadrez and safety Jason Belser, who had free-agent visits with the Chiefs this week, impressed the club enough that coach Dick Vermeil said the team may offer each a contract.

Both players would come in as reserves. Each is familiar to Kansas City fans. Cadrez, a nine-year veteran, played the last six seasons for Denver. Belser, who played all of his nine NFL seasons with Indianapolis, graduated from Raytown South.

Cadrez would back up at all three linebacker spots.

"If anybody got banged up, we'd have a guy that's played in big games and Super Bowls," Vermeil said.

The Chiefs are strong at safety with their starters, Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley. But Bracy Walker is the only reserve with experience. The only other safeties are seventh-round draft pick Shaunard Harts and XFL veteran Brad Trout.

"We'd like to go to training camp with six guys," Vermeil said. "Jason can still play well."

Belser started the last 102 games for the Colts, mostly at free safety. His father, Ceasar, was a Chiefs defensive back during 1968-71.

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3acca9d3.511,.html

We could use the quality depth...

BigMeatballDave
05-12-2001, 01:23 AM
This sounds good. Hope it happens.

Frazod
05-12-2001, 01:23 AM
I knew Cadrez would end up here the second Denver dumped him. I'd have bet money on it.

Here's to my favorite team, the St. Kanver City Ramcos.

BigMeatballDave
05-12-2001, 01:25 AM
LOL

Pitt Gorilla
05-12-2001, 01:28 AM
Awesome, Fraz. Sounds like an old Nintendo team name.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2001, 01:32 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have the "St. Kanver City Ramcos" than the Chiefs of old. Those teams won Super Bowls lately...what have the Marty/Gun Chiefs done?

CG

is thrilled about DV and the season coming up and the future!

alanm
05-12-2001, 01:33 AM
I gotta agree there's too much inbreeding going on in the AFC west.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2001, 01:35 AM
If you look around the league theres a whole lot of "inbreeding" going on in the divisions.

keg in kc
05-12-2001, 02:11 AM
Both good moves.

Robinson knows Cadrez and it can't hurt to have a backup who can play any LB position in your system.

Belser could provide depth in the secondary, especially needed with the Atkins move to linebacker.

At the worst, training camp bodies...

Gaz
05-12-2001, 08:47 AM
Both would be assets. Veteran depth is never a bad thing. Cadrez is particularly useful because of his versatility and because I am not overly impressed with our current LB roster.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would applaud either signing.

DaWolf
05-12-2001, 08:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see who does better this year. the Ramcos or the Kansington Redskiefs...

NaptownChief
05-12-2001, 09:36 PM
I could be wrong but I would be pretty surprised if Belser signed with us under the pretence that he would be a backup...The Colts want him back as a starter if they can get him at a reasonable contract...If we are only looking at him as a backup then we can't be offering him much more than the Colts are willing to pay....I'm sure he would take a little less in Indy if it meant that he didn't have to move his family and he could still be a starter(Assuming he can holdoff their 2nd round choice, Bashir)....

The Bad Guy
05-12-2001, 09:41 PM
JL,

Belser is from KC. It's his hometown, and where he played high school football. I'm sure that will factor in somewhere.

The Colts have zero interest in bringing him back according to Len Pasquarelli of CBS Sportsline.

He could be a great veteran along with Crockett for this secondary. While he would add strong depth, he would also be a great special teams player.

NaptownChief
05-12-2001, 10:01 PM
Frank,

I know he is originally from the KC area, but he has been here in Indy for the past 8 or 9 years...If he is anything like most of us, the thought of moving can be a real pain in the butt...

As for Lenny saying the Colts don't want him may be accurate, but unless it was just lip service Bill Polian was on the radio the other day saying that they would still like to have him for reasonable money....

They did draft 3 safeties so it would make sense on the surface that they will not bring him back...But Chad Cota would be the only safety with experience and I would imagine that they would not mind having Belser around for another year or two while these rookies develop...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2001, 10:03 PM
Jl80,

The main problem for the Colts is their D, right? So why do they keep on drafting offense every year in the 1st round? To keep Manning happy, or what?

CG

sees the Colts problem is at D, not O

I'm just curious, and seeing your from Indy and all, you could comment on that

NaptownChief
05-12-2001, 10:21 PM
lts biggest problem is definitely on defense..However, they had one HUGE hole on offense and that was at the second receiver spot...Pathon and EG Green both turned out to produce nothing...Look at the Colts offense the past two years, it was very good but it slowed down a bit in the 2nd half of the season once the opponents figured out that they had no threat opposite of Harrison....Reggie Wayne was a great pickup for them..I thought he was the best receiver in the draft...Kinda like a bigger, stronger Marvin Harrison...Great hands, runs great routes and plays very smart....

On defense they signed Christian Peter...That will be a much needed help at DT...Plus Shawn King is back from suspension which gives them a big upgrade at DE opposite Chad Bratzke...Mike Peterson is a stud at LB and they are banking on Rob Morris(last years 1st rounder) to be the answer at MLB...And they traded up in the 2nd round to get Bashir out of Memphis, Polian thought he was a 1st round talent....So between free agent signing of Peter, King back from suspension, Morris back from injury and the hopeful development of the rookie safeties that they drafted and last years 2nd rounder Marcus Washington OLB from Auburn they are hoping that they have done enough...

I think CB is shaky...Jeff Burris is solid but they cut Tyronne Poole cause they are counting on David Macklin stepping up...If that happens they will be ok, but if not they could struggle covering the outside receivers.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2001, 10:25 PM
By the looks of that, J, I think the Colts will struggle again this year. I see (even though its early) 9-7 as their record. The AFC east is gonna be tough, IMO. What do you think?

NaptownChief
05-12-2001, 10:33 PM
It is a good possibility...Their offense with the addition of Wayne has the chance of being the best in the league but Mora's natural instincts still forces him to be too conservative at times...

The defense could be anything from horrible to solid...If Morris turns out to be worth last years 1st round pick and is a real Zack Thomas type leader then they could be pretty good. But I truly think they need to get busy and sign some quality FA's that hit the waiver wire after June 1 on the defensive side of the ball to make sure that their defense if much closer to being solid rather than horrible...

I think anything from 7-9 to as good as 11-5 depending on that defense which has a ton of unknown variables at the moment. If the defense is solid they could be the best team in the league, if not they won't even make the playoffs.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2001, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't give their O that much props, they could be the best in the AFC, but not in the league, IMO, the best O in the league will belong to the Rams (sad, but true).

Is that PK for the Colts as good as I here he is?

milkman
05-13-2001, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jl80
Their offense with the addition of Wayne has the chance of being the best in the league but Mora's natural instincts still forces him to be too conservative at times.

This guy is a Marty clone. Unless, like Marty, he learns to attack the defense until the game is over, they'll just be another good team until the playoffs.
I could almost feel sorry for the Colt fans.
I don't think Polian will stick with Mora as long as CP did with Marty.

NaptownChief
05-13-2001, 10:59 AM
Cody,

Vanderjagt is pretty amazing...He obviously gets some aid from the dome and not having to deal with weather in 8 of 16 games but he is the closest thing to automatic as it comes...From 50 yards and in he doesn't miss...Not only does he not miss, but virtually every kick is perfectly down the middle...His percentage wouldn't change much even if the post were 5 feet closer together....

As for the Colts offense in comparison to the Rams...Only difference is a Mora is more conservative than Martz....You can go right down the line and match them up side by side and the Colts win the majority of those....

Manning/Warner: That is like splitting hairs but Manning has youth and health on his side...Advantage Colts

James/Faulk: Again you are splitting hairs but youth and health on the side of James...Advantage Colts

Harrison/Bruce: Dead even

Wayne/Holt: Advantage Rams, but the gap got narrowed a bunch with the pick of Wayne

TE: Advantage Colts...Dilger and Pollard is the best one two punch at TE in the league....

O Line: Advantage Colts...Given up the fewest sacks the past two seasons despite throwing the ball as much as anyone....Paved the way for James to be the NFL's rushing leader two consecutive years...

WR depth: Advantage Rams...Az Hakim and Prohel are better than Pathon and Terrence Wilkins....

But when you look at it from that standpoint Colts truly have the best offensive team in the league, only difference is the coaching personalities....

As much as a don't like Mora's more conservative approach I have to give him some credit. By running the ball more and chewing up clock he put his defense in much better positions than Martz did....The Rams had more talent on D than the Colts yet the Rams D was embarrassed more than any other D in the league because their offensive style put them on the field too much...

milkman
05-13-2001, 11:08 AM
Nap,
You make a valid comparison of team personnel.
But Mora, like Marty, plays not to lose. In the playoffs that is a gauranteed formula for failure.
I just don't think the Colts will ever reach the SB under Mora, even if their defense gets upgraded.

NaptownChief
05-13-2001, 11:15 AM
Milk,

I completely agree...That play not to lose philosophy works against bad teams and it works about half the time against good teams but that is the key...half the time....When you get to the playoffs against nothing but good teams, a .500 record against good teams won't get you past the 2nd round...The only way a team can win with a coach like that is if and only if they are lucky enough to have a defense like Baltimore that is so great that it can over come any and all offensive and coaching blunders...That is rare...

milkman
05-13-2001, 11:21 AM
Here is the other difference between B-More's run to the SB, and Marty and Mora coached teams.
Brian Billick was forced to play conservative because of Dilfer, but he still took his shots, because he is an offensive guy. Some of his shots didn't pay off, but a couple did, and that was the difference between winning and losing.

Marty and Mora, the new M and Ms. They just melt in the playoffs.

NaptownChief
05-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by milkman

Marty and Mora, the new M and Ms. They just melt in the playoffs.

:D

Mark M
05-13-2001, 07:39 PM
I'd love to see Belser come in to KC. I had a locker right next to the guy his senior year (1988 ... damn that seems like a long time ago) and he was a genuinely nice guy. And a very good athelete (he played QB at South). The only problem is that he loves Indy and it would take a lot for him to move back (i.e. a starting spot or more $$ than Indy will give him).

Cadrez would be a good sign, IMO. Maybe then Bush could be sent packing.

Oh yeah, and Mora sucks. How he got another job is beyond me.

MM
~~Would like to see a Cardinal in the R&G.