PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my iPod

chagrin
08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Good day/evening

My brother gave me an iPod nano as a gift a few months ago and I thought I figured the thing out but I think I made a mistake with things and am hoping i can bypass the diarrhea that's on the ipod help forums for a quick minded someone here.

I had almost 3 gb's of audio files I transferred to my ipod from my computer. Of course to do this you need itunes (total pain in the fuggin ass) so i though I imported and synched up everything. So I deleted my files from my computer when I was satisfied the files I deleted were on my ipod.

Well, not so fast. I opened up itunes to listen to files I THOUGHT that itunes kept (I thought itunes kept them because they show up in my "library") but when I try to listen to said songs, I get the error "itunes cannot find selected song..." even though it's sitting there plain as day on my itunes library and also in my ipod.

Some songs are there on my list 3 and 4 times; it's like, everytime I synch the songs get double and triple added but yet I still cannot play them from my ipod to my computer.

I also downloaded yamipod to help, but it's the same, the files just aren't there.

I don't mind admitting I don't understand the ipod, and I have NEVER been a mac/apple fan, ever (a fuggin cluster f*ck of a product if there's ever been one) but I really want to keep it because I walk alot and it would be nice to save the hard drive room and also have this to listen to.

If I haven't been clear enough, please let me know what else I can say to describe this issue.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance...

Silock
08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Let me see if I understand the problem:

You sync'd the iPod to the computer, then deleted the songs from the computer, and are trying to play the deleted songs from the computer?

Baconeater
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Try dropping it on the floor? :shrug:

chief52
08-22-2007, 10:23 PM

You sync'd the iPod to the computer, then deleted the songs from the computer, and are trying to play the deleted songs from the computer?

May be a dumb question, but how do you "save them to your computer"? I have done the same. Put music on itunes and downloaded the music on to my ipod...only to find they are no longer on itunes. Where are you supposed to "save" them.

Thanks for any help for a guy way in over his head.

noa
08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
May be a dumb question, but how do you "save them to your computer"? I have done the same. Put music on itunes and downloaded the music on to my ipod...only to find they are no longer on itunes. Where are you supposed to "save" them.

Thanks for any help for a guy way in over his head.

Well, if I understand your problem correctly, you have songs on your iPod that are no longer on your computer for some reason? If you want to pull them off, you can download a program called <a href="http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip">iPodRip</a>. It tells you which songs on your iPod you already have on your computer and which songs you don't. Then, you can pull off the songs from your iPod onto your computer.
But unless you deleted the songs from your computer, there's no reason they should have disappeared from iTunes. Wish I could tell you why that happened.

As for Chagrin, you should also use <a href="http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip">iPodRip</a> and this time don't delete the songs from the iTunes library. You will need to keep them there as long as you want to access them from your computer. If you really need to delete them, the only way you will be able to play them is to plug in your iPod and play them through that route, but that's just annoying.

chief52
08-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, if I understand your problem correction, you have songs on your iPod that are no longer on your computer for some reason? If you want to pull them off, you can download a program called <a href="http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip">iPodRip</a>. It tells you which songs on your iPod you already have on your computer and which songs you don't. Then, you can pull off the songs from your iPod onto your computer.
But unless you deleted the songs from your computer, there's no reason they should have disappeared from iTunes. Wish I could tell you why that happened.

Thanks for taking the time to help. Well, they music no longer on itunes is in a folder on my desktop...what can I say. Not "deleted", but apparently not saved? Make any sense?

P.S. The song are still "listed", but they have a highlighted exclamation point next to them and can not be played on the computer.

noa
08-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help. Well, they music no longer on itunes is in a folder on my desktop...what can I say. Not "deleted", but apparently not saved? Make any sense?

Hmmm, usually when you open a song from a folder, iTunes automatically imports it to its own library. Try going into your iTunes preferences, then go to the 'advanced' area, and make sure that the "Copy files to the iTunes music folder" option is checked. If it isn't, just do that. Then, when you are adding music to your library, you can just delete it from the folder on your desktop because it will be in your iTunes library folder.

Edit: I just read your P.S. That means that it can't locate the songs. Its annoying, but you can either delete the songs from iTunes and re-import them, this time with the method I mentioned above, or you can choose to play them, and then when it tells you to locate the song, you will have to tell it that the song is in that folder on your desktop.

Let me know if you have any more questions, because I imagine this is pretty confusing.

chief52
08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Hmmm, usually when you open a song from a folder, iTunes automatically imports it to its own library. Try going into your iTunes preferences, then go to the 'advanced' area, and make sure that the "Copy files to the iTunes music folder" option is checked. If it isn't, just do that. Then, when you are adding music to your library, you can just delete it from the folder on your desktop because it will be in your iTunes library folder.

Edit: I just read your P.S. That means that it can't locate the songs. Its annoying, but you can either delete the songs from iTunes and re-import them, this time with the method I mentioned above, or you can choose to play them, and then when it tells you to locate the song, you will have to tell it that the song is in that folder on your desktop.

Let me know if you have any more questions, because I imagine this is pretty confusing.

Thanks...yes, it is confusing and I will probably not respond for a while while I try to figure it out, but I appreciate your help. I am going to check your suggestions and see what happens. Hey, I could delete them and "re-import" them at this point. Not talking about that many songs.

chief52
08-22-2007, 10:51 PM
One more question...noa. I have gone to "advanced", but do not see where " copy files to..."is?

noa
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Okay, I just want to make sure you are in the right place. When you are using iTunes, there is an option that appears at the top called 'Advanced.' This is NOT where I want you to go. I want you to go to the first menu "iTunes." When there, you should select 'Preferences.' Then, in preferences, you should select 'Advanced.'

In 'Advanced,' the first option you should see with a check-box next to it is "Keep iTunes music folder organized"

The next is "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library." That's the one I want you to check.

chief52
08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Okay, I just want to make sure you are in the right place. When you are using iTunes, there is an option that appears at the top called 'Advanced.' This is NOT where I want you to go. I want you to go to the first menu "iTunes." When there, you should select 'Preferences.' Then, in preferences, you should select 'Advanced.'

In 'Advanced,' the first option you should see with a check-box next to it is "Keep iTunes music folder organized"

The next is "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library." That's the one I want you to check.

Ok..thanks again. You may not hear from me tonight again, but I apriciate all your help. I think I know where you are...

Listening to music, sipping a glass of wine and trying to figure the ipod out. Thanks for you help.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9614/handsoffgarbagecanac9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

shrek6849
08-23-2007, 03:55 AM
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9614/handsoffgarbagecanac9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

He would have trouble working the trashcan.

chagrin
08-23-2007, 09:00 AM
As for Chagrin, you should also use <a href="http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/application.php?app=iPodRip">iPodRip</a> and this time don't delete the songs from the iTunes library. You will need to keep them there as long as you want to access them from your computer. If you really need to delete them, the only way you will be able to play them is to plug in your iPod and play them through that route, but that's just annoying.

Hey - thanks for the info. I did not delete them from the itunes library, that's what baffles me. They are on my ipod "library" and I can listen to them on the ipod itself, but not FROM the iPod to the computer, even with the ipod manager, yamipod. it's just strange.

chagrin
08-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Maybe, maybe not.

I am not trying to play deleted files from the computer, my intention was to play the songs that are on the iPod via iTunes.

DMAC
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Chag, somehow the files got deleted from your hard drive.

NO worries mate!

Go here...http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=SharePod...and download "SharePod".

It is a program that lets you take the files that are on the ipod and put them on your hard drive.

Then you can just start over if you want.

patteeu
08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Chagrin -

The music library within iTunes is like a list of shortcuts that point to the actual file on your hard drive. When you "import" to iTunes, it doesn't actually copy the music file into an iTunes database, it just copies the file location to the database so that it knows where to go to get it.

Anytime you delete a song file (from your hard drive) or move it (to another location on your hard drive) or rename it, the "shortcut" in the iTunes library will be broken. To fix it, you need to put the music file back on your hard drive (or figure out where you moved it to or what you renamed it) and then you have two options: (1) either re-import it in which case you will end up with two shortcuts in your iTunes library, the good one and the broken one (this is why you have mulitple copies of the same song in your iTunes library), or (2) you can double click on the broken shortcut and it will ask you if you want to find the file and you can browse the hard drive through the iTunes interface to reconnect the shortcut to the new location (or renamed file). I usually use method (1) because you can drag and drop a bunch of files at once whereas method (2) can only be done one song at a time.

One other thing. If, after syncing your songs to your ipod, you don't want to store your music on your hard drive, that's OK. You will be able to listen to them on the iPod but not on the computer. If you do reconnect the iPod to the computer so you can listen to the music over the computer speakers, don't re-sync the iPod or it might delete all the music from the iPod to match your empty iTunes library.

chagrin
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Chagrin -

The music library within iTunes is like a list of shortcuts that point to the actual file on your hard drive. When you "import" to iTunes, it doesn't actually copy the music file into an iTunes database, it just copies the file location to the database so that it knows where to go to get it.

Anytime you delete a song file (from your hard drive) or move it (to another location on your hard drive) or rename it, the "shortcut" in the iTunes library will be broken. To fix it, you need to put the music file back on your hard drive (or figure out where you moved it to or what you renamed it) and then you have two options: (1) either re-import it in which case you will end up with two shortcuts in your iTunes library, the good one and the broken one (this is why you have mulitple copies of the same song in your iTunes library), or (2) you can double click on the broken shortcut and it will ask you if you want to find the file and you can browse the hard drive through the iTunes interface to reconnect the shortcut to the new location (or renamed file). I usually use method (1) because you can drag and drop a bunch of files at once whereas method (2) can only be done one song at a time.

One other thing. If, after syncing your songs to your ipod, you don't want to store your music on your hard drive, that's OK. You will be able to listen to them on the iPod but not on the computer. If you do reconnect the iPod to the computer so you can listen to the music over the computer speakers, don't re-sync the iPod or it might delete all the music from the iPod to match your empty iTunes library.

Thank you, that was a good explanation.

chagrin
08-23-2007, 11:02 AM

NO worries mate!

Go here...http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=SharePod...and download "SharePod".

It is a program that lets you take the files that are on the ipod and put them on your hard drive.

Thank you, I will try this tonight!

Lzen
08-24-2007, 07:28 AM

This looks to be the best option. :) Seriously, I didn't realize that people had so many problems with ipods. I never had these kind of problems with any of the other brand mp3 players that I have owned. Good luck, chagrin.

patteeu
08-24-2007, 08:22 AM
This looks to be the best option. :) Seriously, I didn't realize that people had so many problems with ipods. I never had these kind of problems with any of the other brand mp3 players that I have owned. Good luck, chagrin.

In Chagrin's case, I think he just misunderstood how iTunes worked so it wasn't really an iPod issue. I can understand why some people like other mp3 players (e.g. drag and drop interface, ability to share with other computers, FM tuners, and most of all, lower cost), but I don't understand why they have an emotional reaction against the iPod. It was a revolutionary product and it's on the iPod's shoulders that all these other mp3 players are now standing.

If you're happy with an alternative brand then I'm happy for you. My daughter had a sandisk(?) brand player before we had any iPods and she was very happy with it. I like the iPod interface a little better, but not that much. Unfortunately, she lost it so she bought a Memorex. It's interface was incredibly sucky. Eventually she gave it to a cousin and bought the iPod nano that she uses now.

My family has four of them and the only problem I ever had was with the oldest one (a mini) which went bad within 3 months of purchase. Apple replaced it without giving me any trouble even though the case showed a small amount of damage from being dropped.

DenverChief
08-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I have never had a problem with mine

DMAC
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I have never had a problem with mineMe neither. I have a ipod video, and love it. So easy to use.

And screw Sandisk and Creative!!! Bastards!!! :rolleyes:

Braincase
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Get a Zune.

Lzen
08-24-2007, 10:21 AM
In Chagrin's case, I think he just misunderstood how iTunes worked so it wasn't really an iPod issue. I can understand why some people like other mp3 players (e.g. drag and drop interface, ability to share with other computers, FM tuners, and most of all, lower cost), but I don't understand why they have an emotional reaction against the iPod. It was a revolutionary product and it's on the iPod's shoulders that all these other mp3 players are now standing.

If you're happy with an alternative brand then I'm happy for you. My daughter had a sandisk(?) brand player before we had any iPods and she was very happy with it. I like the iPod interface a little better, but not that much. Unfortunately, she lost it so she bought a Memorex. It's interface was incredibly sucky. Eventually she gave it to a cousin and bought the iPod nano that she uses now.

My family has four of them and the only problem I ever had was with the oldest one (a mini) which went bad within 3 months of purchase. Apple replaced it without giving me any trouble even though the case showed a small amount of damage from being dropped.

I think people have the emotional reaction (as you put it) for a couple of reason. First, Apple makes it out as if their products are impervious to problems, which we all know is not true. Somebody posted a cartoon making fun of those MAC commercials and I thought it was quitting fitting.

Another factor/problem is the price. That is my biggest issue. They think their products are made of gold. Unfortunately, many Americans buy into that crap. Just like they buy into that stuff with clothing, shoes, etc. Gotta have an Ipod because that's what all the cool kids have. Gotta have Abercrombie/Levis/Nike or whatever.

Sure, sometimes you get what you pay for. But a lot of times it's just a lot of good marketing. In my experience, just because you see something advertised a lot and it's highly popular doesn't mean that it is better than the cheaper brands. Anyhoo, no biggie. It's just one of my pet peeves. Especially now since I have 2 boys that are 14 and 11 and therefore think they need all that name brand shit.

NUMBER7
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM

NO worries mate!

I have used Sharepod...I also like Yamipod and it is updated quite frequently. http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/