PDA

View Full Version : Vick files plea: Admits dogfighting AND gambling

OnTheWarpath58
08-24-2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801c1644&template=with-video&confirm=true

Vick files plea in federal court, admits dogfighting

Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick filed a plea agreement in federal court Friday admitting to a dogfighting charge and agreed the enterprise included the killing of fighting dogs and gambling.

The Atlanta Falcons quarterback is scheduled to formally enter his plea Monday in U.S. District Court. He signed the plea agreement Thursday.

"Most of the Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies were provided by Vick," a summary of facts in the case said.

The statement said when the kennel's dogs won, the gambling proceeds and were generally shared by Vick's three co-defendants.

"Vick did not gamble by placing side bets on any of the fights. Vick did not receive any of the proceeds of the purses that were won by Bad Newz Kennels," the summary stated.

According to court documents, Vick was aware that his co-defendants killed a number of dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions.

Last April, Vick and two co-defendants tested the fighting skills of dogs and the three agreed to kill six to eight dogs that did not perform well. All were killed by various methods that included hanging and drowning.

So basically now, either the Judge, the Feds, or both are gonna take him to trial. No way they agree to this........

meStevo
08-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Hmm, maybe is should copy all that stuff I typed in the Whitlock article over here :p

I typed out most of the interesting parts of the plea here and the posts after: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4161623

Link to the PDF:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/08/24/vick.summary.facts.pdf

HonestChieffan
08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
so he gave the money for betting but he didnt bet...and when said money was a winner he didnt take any of the winnings...

did I read that right?

OnTheWarpath58
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
so he gave the money for betting but he didnt bet...and when said money was a winner he didnt take any of the winnings...

did I read that right?

Yeah.

Pretty comical, isn't it?

meStevo
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Yup.

4. VICK agrees that the "Bad Newz Kennels" business enterprise involved gambling activities. ... For a particular dog fight, the opponents would establish a purse or wager for the winning side, ranging from the 100s up to 1,000's of dollars. Purse was contingent and dependant on the uncertain outcome of the dog fight with the winner taking all. ... Most of the "Bad Newz Kennels" operation and gambling monies were provided by VICK. ... VICK did not receive any of the proceeds from the purses that were won by "Bad Newz Kennels"

Carlota69
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Let me see, he pleaded innocent earlier, told Goodell he had nothing to with any of this and now we are to believe that he provided all the money for the operation, but took none of the profits?

Liar--party of one--your table (jail cell) is ready....

HonestChieffan
08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
So he was just being Santa Claus to his buds...

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Wow. He'll be lucky to get a job in Saskatchewan.

meStevo
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I think the most legally serious is probably the funding quote above, and then this will be the biggest moral-resonnating-omg-he'd-kill-our-babies quote:

32. ... In or about April 2007, PEACE, PHILLIPS, VICK, and two others ... tested ... dogs ... through fighting sessions ... PEACE, PHILLIPS, and VICK agreed to the killing of approximately 6-8 dogs that did not perform well ... killed by various methods, including hanging and drowning. VICK agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts of PEACE, PHILLIPS, and VICK.

Wonder why various methods. Takes me back to when I was going through a firebug stage and we were finding different ways to burn up all the dead grass in my best friend's back yard.

And then after reading that, seeing this at the bottom of the plea:

After consulting with my attorney and puruant to the plea agreement entered into this date between defendant MICHAEL VICK and the United States I hereby stipulate that the above Statement of Facts are true and accurate, and that had the matter proceeded to trial, the United States could proves these facts beyond a resonable doubt.

(Michael Vick's signature).

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Let me see, he pleaded innocent earlier, told Goodell he had nothing to with any of this and now we are to believe that he provided all the money for the operation, but took none of the profits?

Liar--party of one--your table (jail cell) is ready....

It's actually somewhat believable based on the amounts mentioned other places (I remember reading $26k at one fight). Vick's got money, a lot of it, and I doubt the cash was why he did it. Does that absolve him of guilt? Nope, it makes it seem more disturbing. If money wasn't his motivation, what was? Seeing living creatures torn and bloody, fighting for their lives? Even sicker than doing it for the cash if you ask me.

meStevo
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Ya, that makes it a hobby, and just inconceivable to anyone with half a heart.

cdcox
08-24-2007, 01:03 PM
It will be interesting to see how the nuances in language affect his fate with Goodell. Seems like the goal was to blur Vick's involvement with the the charges that would most adversely affect his future in the NFL (torturing dogs to death and gambling). There is wiggle room for Goodell to eventually reinstate him by sticking strictly by the legal findings.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I think the most legally serious is probably the funding quote above, and then this will be the biggest moral-resonnating-omg-he'd-kill-our-babies quote:

I agree.

meStevo
08-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Funding and helping run a illegal business, providing funds for gambling in his business, killing 6-8 dogs... suspend him for 6 years, let him come back when he is 33.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Why is everyone so quick to judge a person...when his so called friends are more criminal than he is...and they turned him in to save their own ass.

bunch of racist fugs around here

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
It will be interesting to see how the nuances in language affect his fate with Goodell. Seems like the goal was to blur Vick's involvement with the the charges that would most adversely affect his future in the NFL (torturing dogs to death and gambling). There is wiggle room for Goodell to eventually reinstate him by sticking strictly by the legal findings.

I think it all hinges on the public. Suspending him while he's in prison and, maybe, a year after would be sufficient, I guess, from the NFL's point of view but if that punishment pissed fans off enough some more would have to be done.

I'm just waiting for the day whichever team he plays for steps out on the field while "Who Let the Dogs Out" blares over the stadium's loudspeakers.

HonestChieffan
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
You can bet the dogfighters and pit breeders are on the phone wondering what else he is telling

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello, Duke LaCrosse team?

Yeah this is Michael Vick. Tell me something....does it get better knowing all of America hated you..but found out you were not guilty? Do they treat you the same?

Your fan for life,

Vick

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Why is everyone so quick to judge a person...when his so called friends are more criminal than he is...and they turned him in to save their own ass.

My sarcasm meter might be acting up. This is some, right?

cdcox
08-24-2007, 01:12 PM

In a contract murdur case, the person who ordered the hit will often get a worse sentence than the trigger man. And many times the cops have got the trigger man to roll over on the person who ordered the hit. There are no inconsitencies or inherently racist underpinnings of the desire to hold Vick fully accountable whatsoever.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
My sarcasm meter might be acting up. This is some, right?

then you should buy new batteries for it and your pocket pu##y

besides...you are under the 3000 post mark last time I checked...

meStevo
What are we judging? He has admitted to doing these things after saying he didn't. That deserves harsher treatment than his thug friends.

BIG_DADDY
You can bet the dogfighters and pit breeders are on the phone wondering what else he is telling

I'm sure everyone associated with him in that part of his life is not sleeping easy these days. Who know if he turns into a snitch people might think more of him. Seems to be the trend in the country these days.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
What are we judging? He has admitted to doing these things after saying he didn't. That deserves harsher treatment than his thug friends.

234 posts.

that qualifies you for a STFU

meStevo
08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
:)

+1

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm sure everyone associated with him in that part of his life is not sleeping easy these days. Who know if he turns into a snitch people might think more of him. Seems to be the trend in the country these days.

I rest my case. He should receive harsher treatment for lying than snitching. LMAO

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
In a contract murdur case, the person who ordered the hit will often get a worse sentence than the trigger man. And many times the cops have got the trigger man to roll over on the person who ordered the hit. There are no inconsitencies or inherently racist underpinnings of the desire to hold Vick fully accountable whatsoever.

There's the legal idea that none of the others would have done any of this without the leadership, support and prodding of the ringleader. I'm not going to argue that his co-conspirators wouldn't have done bad things without Vick but they'd never have been able to run a dogfighting operation for 6 years without him. They might not have even started one in the first place, it sounds like Vick was the instigator.

HonestChieffan
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
The circus will be in town when they start hauling in the puppybreeders out of the woods...media will have a hayday with this

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM

More stupid posts /= better.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:19 PM
More stupid posts /= better.

post whoring on a thread is like you dropping your mom off in the Quindaro district wearing only a sign that says "place your complaints in this slot"

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:22 PM
post whoring on a thread is like you dropping your mom off in the Quindaro district wearing only a sign that says "place your complaints in this slot"

I post whore in the Word Association thread, thank you very much.

Legal cases interest me greatly. 30 years my father practiced criminal law, was a topic around the dinner table more often than not.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I post whore in the Word Association thread, thank you very much.

Legal cases interest me greatly. 30 years my father practiced criminal law, was a topic around the dinner table more often than not.

:hmmm:

would he have handled a case like Vicks?

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:28 PM
:hmmm:

would he have handled a case like Vicks?

He handled far worse. Was one of the more experienced attorneys in our neck of the woods and really subscribed to the idea of "Everyone deserves the best defense possible". He'd also been on both sides, prosecutor and defense.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:29 PM
He handled far worse. Was one of the more experienced attorneys in our neck of the woods and really subscribed to the idea of "Everyone deserves the best defense possible". He'd also been on both sides, prosecutor and defense.

is there any case he regrets handling?

has he ever set a criminal free?

jidar
08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
I actually believe him here. With the amount of money he has I could easily see him telling his buds to just keep the money or more like 'reinvest'. The truth is there isn't enough money in dog fighting for the cash to ever be an issue for him, seriously he won $2k on a fight? Does he care? **** no.
He was funding it as a hobby, not to make cash.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I actually believe him here. With the amount of money he has I could easily see him telling his buds to just keep the money or more like 'reinvest'. The truth is there isn't enough money in dog fighting for the cash to ever be an issue for him, seriously he won $2k on a fight? Does he care? **** no.
He was funding it as a hobby, not to make cash.

maybe the women in Atlanta are uglier than pitbulls and he got his bitches mixed up

pikesome
08-24-2007, 01:35 PM
is there any case he regrets handling?

has he ever set a criminal free?

Not that he would tell me. I had hoped that when he got older I could ask a few pointed questions but he passed away last summer.

Someone who was guilty as charged? Probably but not like on TV. My father was notorious for knowing the rules better than most, he usually caught the prosecutor or cops doing something they weren't supposed to do.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-24-2007, 01:38 PM

The post count has changed to 6,000 before we give a shit since you got here. However quality posts are worth 25 times more than "I fugged your mom" posts so really pikesome is way ahead of you.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 01:43 PM
The post count has changed to 6,000 before we give a shit since you got here. However quality posts are worth 25 times more than "I fugged your mom" posts so really pikesome is way ahead of you.

yeah but...Ghostof was here WAY WAY before you

so again...I have to use this guy to state my point STFU

luv
08-24-2007, 01:44 PM
yeah but...Ghostof was here WAY WAY before you

so again...I have to use this guy to state my point STFU
How many posts did he have?

Chief Faithful
08-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm still waiting for the state of Virginia to indict. Maybe the games are about trying to fend off the state?

pikesome
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm still waiting for the state of Virginia to indict. Maybe the games are about trying to fend off the state?

It'll never happen, the man in charge initially tried to cover up/ignore the Vick investigation. Why do you think the Feds swooped in? He's just making noise to keep people from asking hard questions about things he said before the Feds took over.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
How many posts did he have?

longevity was the key..until he GOT BANNED

Fruit Ninja
08-24-2007, 02:34 PM

Liar--party of one--your table (jail cell) is ready....Well, if you think you have a chance to escape this totally, your going to say i had nothing to do with it. I would have done the same. May as well try to get out of it. If you get caught, your in trouble anyways. At least by lying he had a chance. it was slim to none, but hey its a chance.

meStevo
08-24-2007, 02:37 PM
More lynching, less common sense, please.

Redrum_69
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
More lynching, less common sense, please.

John Lunch is gonna be a Chief?!?!?

Carlota69
08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
It's actually somewhat believable based on the amounts mentioned other places (I remember reading $26k at one fight). Vick's got money, a lot of it, and I doubt the cash was why he did it. Does that absolve him of guilt? Nope, it makes it seem more disturbing. If money wasn't his motivation, what was? Seeing living creatures torn and bloody, fighting for their lives? Even sicker than doing it for the cash if you ask me.

I absolutely agree! Its fkn sadistic. Thats what serial killers do for kicks--torture animals.

Chief Faithful
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
It'll never happen, the man in charge initially tried to cover up/ignore the Vick investigation. Why do you think the Feds swooped in? He's just making noise to keep people from asking hard questions about things he said before the Feds took over.

All the more reason for Vick to be careful on the plea. If he pleads guilty to the same charges the state would file then the citizens of Virginia are going to push for an idictment.

pikesome
08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
All the more reason for Vick to be careful on the plea. If he pleads guilty to the same charges the state would file then the citizens of Virginia are going to push for an idictment.

The problem is the people of Virginia, at least the ones Poindexter (that really is his name) cares about, don't want Vick in trouble. It seems like a reverse Nifong, not prosecuting for political reasons.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
His attorneys may have already taken care of the state based upon what he plead out with the feds. This happens all the time.

meStevo
08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Vick suspended indefinetly without pay.

"Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Michael Vick Friday that he is suspended indefinitely without pay from the National Football League, effective immediately."

http://www.nfl.com/

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2007, 04:54 PM

"Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Michael Vick Friday that he is suspended indefinitely without pay from the National Football League, effective immediately."

Gee thanks Rodger.

Fairplay
08-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I actually believe him here.

A sucker born every minute.

pikesome
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Well that's done until Goodell changes his mind.

Bwana
08-24-2007, 05:08 PM

Ouch!

Vick suspended indefinitely

National Football League
Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Michael Vick (http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelvick/profile?id=VIC311467) on Friday that he is suspended indefinitely without pay from the National Football League, effective immediately.Following are excerpts from Commissioner Goodell’s letter to Vick:

» "Your admitted conduct was not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible. Your team, the NFL, and NFL fans have all been hurt by your actions."

» "Your plea agreement and the plea agreements of your co-defendants also demonstrate your significant involvement in illegal gambling. Even if you personally did not place bets, as you contend, your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL Player Contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

» "You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league’s Personal Conduct Policy."

» "I will review the status of your suspension following the conclusion of the legal proceedings. As part of that review, I will take into account a number of factors, including the resolution of any other charges that may be brought against you, whether in Surry County, Virginia, or other jurisdictions, your conduct going forward, the specifics of the sentence imposed by Judge Hudson and any related findings he might make, and the extent to which you are truthful and cooperative with law enforcement and league staff who are investigating these matters."

» "I have advised the Falcons that, with my decision today, they are no longer prohibited from acting and are now free to assert any claims or remedies available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement or your NFL Player Contract."

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Well that's done until Goodell changes his mind.
LMAO Exactly, Why did he even bother saying anything. I guess he wants to look all hard core.

Fairplay
08-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Ouch!

Vick suspended indefinitely

Wow, huge news. :clap:

Jenson71
08-24-2007, 05:12 PM
LMAO Exactly, Why did he even bother saying anything. I guess he wants to look all hard core.

The Falcons needed closure.

SnakeXJones
08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Who said the Number "7" is lucky after all?

meStevo
08-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Now that this is out, the Falcons can try and recoup some of his promised money/signing bonus, no? His 'richest contract in the NFL' could really come back to hurt him. $130m, $37m signing bonus.

Extension was for 10 years, he's 3 years in, so can they really try and get like 20+ million back for violating his contract?