PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Page

B_Ambuehl
08-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Isn't a starting caliber safety. He can come in on dime and play centerfield but he doesn't have the abilty to move laterally, accelerate and make tackles that you need out of a starting caliber safety. This guy wiffs anytime he gets near a running back. Absolutely pathetic.

El Jefe
08-24-2007, 02:15 PM
2nd Year 7th round pick. enough said.

DMAC
08-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Yep, let's bench him and start your boy Svitek. You're a genius.

El Jefe
08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Yep, let's bench him and start your boy Svitek. You're a genius.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Page is just fine he has only started a few games, but I know right now Chiefs fans are in the "panic".

the Talking Can
08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
all I heard on the radio was "Page missed another tackle".....

but, this is the way it is....we're going young, it will not be easy.....

DaKCMan AP
08-24-2007, 02:20 PM
He is teh sux0r, the seazon is ovah, oh n0es, dOOm!!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

htismaqe
08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Isn't a starting caliber safety. He can come in on dime and play centerfield but he doesn't have the abilty to move laterally, accelerate and make tackles that you need out of a starting caliber safety. This guy wiffs anytime he gets near a running back. Absolutely pathetic.

You're talking about Greg Wesley. That's Wesley to a T.

morphius
08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
He is trying to follow in wesley's footsteps, only he is going to actually try to break up a pass on occassion.

DMAC
08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
all I heard on the radio was "Page missed another tackle".....
Every player on the D last night "missed another tackle".

dirk digler
08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I was excited about Page and Pollard starting this year but the way Page has missed tackles so far in the pre-season it is a little concerning.

DMAC
08-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I was excited about Page and Pollard starting this year but the way Page has missed tackles so far in the pre-season it is a little concerning.
Like I am saying, EVERYONE is missing tackles.

I am not concerned about anything but that,

Not Croyle/Huard
Not the O Line/D Line
Not the secondary
Not the Dick Curl

Because it is preseason.

The constant missed tackles though...you should be making those anyway. You don't whiff or don't wrap up just because "it's preseason".

Thats coaching. That's concerning.

Fruit Ninja
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Page had trouble tackling last year as well. He's a good cover safety though. Hopefully he learns to tackle better. He's still young and a 7th rounder. He's pretty raw, but they are coaches and if they see him as a starter, i cant question that really.

htismaqe
08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I still can't understand why DJ gets a free pass. He's whiffed on more tackles than anybody on the team.

morphius
08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
I still can't understand why DJ gets a free pass. He's whiffed on more tackles than anybody on the team.
because he has had a couple good games before this?

htismaqe
08-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Not really.

I remember hearing leading up to that draft how great he is. I wanted Thomas Davis, but after hearing all the hype, I was excited.

So far, he really hasn't done anything. And when he whiffs, it's noticeable.

Fruit Ninja
08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I dont know that its a free pass. I am sure it will get to him. We have the Online to complain about the wide outs dropping so many balls. QB making bad choices. There's just alot wrong with this team right now outside of Colquitt

DMAC
08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Not really.

I remember hearing leading up to that draft how great he is. I wanted Thomas Davis, but after hearing all the hype, I was excited.

So far, he really hasn't done anything. And when he whiffs, it's noticeable.Yeah, I agree with you. Somehow he gets lost in the DOOM.

DaKCMan AP
08-24-2007, 02:37 PM

He hasn't lived up to his billing his first 2 years. If he doesn't breakout this year, I don't know if he ever will.

JBucc
08-24-2007, 02:40 PM
DJ has all the ability to be a great linebacker but he needs to show that killer instinct to want to go up and knock someone silly. I haven't really seen that from him. I think he'll be a Donnie Edwards type player. Decent stats and reliable but not someone that offenses fear.

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2007, 02:40 PM
You also think Greg Wesley is a good safety, so you know...

HemiEd
08-24-2007, 02:49 PM

This is hilarious and so predicatable.

So many of you were so resigned to a rebuilding season, and willing to put up with a shitty record in order to draft higher and build a team.

We haven't even played a single regular season game yet, or a preseason game with out best offensive player.
Now the sky is falling.
You guys asked for it, now you have it.
Losing sucks, I hate it and the rebuilding. Obviously, many of you don't like it either or even understand what it is like to be pathetic.

You rebuilding fans better buck up, it hasn't even started to get ugly or depressing yet.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. But you better be willling to see it through and stick with it.

dirk digler
08-24-2007, 02:51 PM
The constant missed tackles though...you should be making those anyway. You don't whiff or don't wrap up just because "it's preseason".

Thats coaching. That's concerning.

I agree.

As far as DJ goes he had a pretty spectacular sack last night. I think this is going to be his breakout season.

sedated
08-24-2007, 02:53 PM
let's move him to corner

Mr. Laz
08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Page hasn't been exactly stellar

but then again .... nothing has

ChiefsCountry
08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
I think this is going to be his breakout season.

With Donnie Edwards, Harris and an improved line, DJ should. His strength is blitzing and we should be able to do it more with the Edwards taking over the coverage role.

dirk digler
08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
With Donnie Edwards, Harris and an improved line, DJ should. His strength is blitzing and we should be able to do it more with the Edwards taking over the coverage role.

Yep that is what I am thinking as well.

crazycoffey
08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Can someone start two more threads one for Bell and One for Sapp so we can talk about how much they suck too?

Demonpenz
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
this being big twelve country if dj plays average he will probably get a free pass until he retires. He was one of the best linebackers in college history

penchief
08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Not really.

I don't think Thomas Davis has done anything either. Has he even broke the starting lineup yet? I heard they were going to move him back to safety.

RedThat
08-24-2007, 04:41 PM

True.

But, Page's tackling is a bit of a concern right now.

The Bad Guy
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM

I remember a long time ago how you proclaimed you study the NFL and know everything about it.

After reading your posts for the last year, I've concluded one thing:

1) You don't know shit.

This guy has started 3 preseason games and played incredibly well for a rookie last year and you're ready to throw him under the bus because of what? 3 preseason games?

I've seen Page make plenty of tackles. I've seen him whif on a few too.
That's what happens to 2nd year safeties.

But, I would think you would already know that, football wizard.

B_Ambuehl
08-24-2007, 09:16 PM
LOL

If you go back and look I said last year I didn't think he had the overall athleticism to be a good starter. I can say that with even more confidence now because I did not realize he was such a piss poor tackler. It's not that he's missed an occassional tackle this preseason when he comes up in run support - he's missed EVERY tackle that's been there for him to make. I counted 3 just in last nights game. If he ends up being the starter everyone on this forum will be calling for his head within 2 years. He can catch the football and has good ball awareness, yes, so put him in on dime and let him play centerfield. There's a spot for him. Just not as a starter.

BTW, I also say people here will be calling for the head of Napoleon Harris by the end of the year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the overall rush defense take a step back unless Donnie Edwards has an all world type season.

You can hold me to all of that.

Coogs
08-25-2007, 07:06 AM
This is hilarious and so predicatable.

So many of you were so resigned to a rebuilding season, and willing to put up with a shitty record in order to draft higher and build a team.

We haven't even played a single regular season game yet, or a preseason game with out best offensive player.
Now the sky is falling.
You guys asked for it, now you have it.
Losing sucks, I hate it and the rebuilding. Obviously, many of you don't like it either or even understand what it is like to be pathetic.

You rebuilding fans better buck up, it hasn't even started to get ugly or depressing yet.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. But you better be willling to see it through and stick with it.

The defense has been rebuilt. Several times now since Gun has been back at DC. Time for some results on that side of the ball. Growing pains on offense are to be expected.

htismaqe
08-25-2007, 07:37 AM
LOL

If you go back and look I said last year I didn't think he had the overall athleticism to be a good starter. I can say that with even more confidence now because I did not realize he was such a piss poor tackler. It's not that he's missed an occassional tackle this preseason when he comes up in run support - he's missed EVERY tackle that's been there for him to make. I counted 3 just in last nights game. If he ends up being the starter everyone on this forum will be calling for his head within 2 years. He can catch the football and has good ball awareness, yes, so put him in on dime and let him play centerfield. There's a spot for him. Just not as a starter.

BTW, I also say people here will be calling for the head of Napoleon Harris by the end of the year and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the overall rush defense take a step back unless Donnie Edwards has an all world type season.

And both of them are still upgrades. Imagine that.

Direckshun
08-25-2007, 09:14 AM
If you go back and look I said last year I didn't think he had the overall athleticism to be a good starter.
Link?

The Bad Guy
08-25-2007, 09:58 AM
LOL

Your opinion around here already means diddily shit, so what exactly are we holding you to.

Your signature says enough about you.

Will Svitek future pro bowler?

Ha.

Skip Towne
08-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Your opinion around here already means diddily shit, so what exactly are we holding you to.

Your signature says enough about you.

Will Svitek future pro bowler?

Ha.
You're a Bad Guy.

The Bad Guy
08-25-2007, 11:07 AM
You're a Bad Guy.

Thank you Skip.

B_Ambuehl
08-25-2007, 03:15 PM
I still pull for Svitek even though I know he sux. This is what I posted about him back at the beginning of August before any games:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4123061#post4123061

Svitek hasn't blocked anyone the last 2 preseasons. I was really pulling for the guy (as is obvious by my sig), but I dont think he can play. He looked way worse than Jordan Black at left tackle last preaseason.

Worse than Jordan Black?? Hmmm...

If you go back and look I said last year I didn't think he had the overall athleticism to be a good starter.

Link?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=160116&page=3&pp=15

Here's on example for you: Watch Page in the Pittsburgh game. Wesley never looked THAT bad on a missed tackle. Wesley is also much better at attacking the LOS in run support. Yeah he's not perfect but neither is any other safety. Page is a decent ballhawk but will be a downgrade when it comes to:

A: Covering the field sideline to sideline (lack of quickness - too slow)
B: Run support

He might be an upgrade in the headiness department but that doesn't really matter if you don't have the athletic ability to cover the field.

CupidStunt
08-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Not really.

Not much difference given Thomas Davis is pretty crap. Johnson is better and will end up a LOT better.

Bob Dole
08-26-2007, 04:18 AM
DJ has all the ability to be a great linebacker but he needs to show that killer instinct to want to go up and knock someone silly. I haven't really seen that from him. I think he'll be a Donnie Edwards type player. Decent stats and reliable but not someone that offenses fear.

DJ was never known as a real hitter. His primary skill was seperating the ball from the carrier.

htismaqe
08-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Not much difference given Thomas Davis is pretty crap. Johnson is better and will end up a LOT better.

Whether or not Thomas Davis is any good is really beside the point at present.

DJ better have a breakout season, or he's hovering close to that line...

DTLB58
08-26-2007, 08:07 AM

Brodie Croyle is not a starting caliber QB right now either, But a lot of people here (including me) want him to start anyways.

htismaqe
08-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Well, Herm better start Greg Wesley now.

Unless he's just fine with double standards.

B_Ambuehl
08-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Brodie Croyle is not a starting caliber QB right now either, But a lot of people here (including me) want him to start anyways.

There's a difference. The physical skills are there with Croyle. His mind just needs to improve. Page is lacking more on the physical end which can't be taught.

Hydrae
08-26-2007, 02:46 PM
I am a big Gunther fan and was pleased when we brought him back to his best position, as DC. That said, I am starting to find my feet scraping the ground as I contemplate jumping off his bandwagon.

I am seeing the same thing I did in the late 90's when Gun was DC. The defense is so concerned with trying to strip the ball, the ball carrier gains another 5 yards. It drives me nuts. Tackle the damn guy with the ball, that is job #1. Turnovers are great but not worth the extra yards being given up in the meantime.

B_Ambuehl
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah tackling hasn't looked that great

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
let's move him to corner

:Lin: I keep trying to forget that nonsense and no one will let me.

King_Chief_Fan
08-27-2007, 03:37 PM
I am a big Gunther fan and was pleased when we brought him back to his best position, as DC. That said, I am starting to find my feet scraping the ground as I contemplate jumping off his bandwagon.

I am seeing the same thing I did in the late 90's when Gun was DC. The defense is so concerned with trying to strip the ball, the ball carrier gains another 5 yards. It drives me nuts. Tackle the damn guy with the ball, that is job #1. Turnovers are great but not worth the extra yards being given up in the meantime.
Me thinks the Herm will not put up with that for very long if Herm is the D master eveyone thinks he is. If Herm can't manage that change...:shake::banghead:

kcchiefsus
08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
There's a difference. The physical skills are there with Croyle. His mind just needs to improve. Page is lacking more on the physical end which can't be taught.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Page is not lacking physical skills. His inability to tackle has nothing to do with lacking physical skills.

I agree. I have gathered from most of your posts that you don't know shit.

RustShack
08-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Page is more of a ball hawking safety and Pollard is the hard hitter.

B_Ambuehl
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
You have no clue what you are talking about. Page is not lacking physical skills. His inability to tackle has nothing to do with lacking physical skills

Maybe if he could move better laterally he'd be a better tackler? That's something he appears to lack and, although he's probably fast enough as far as straight line 40 yard speed, he's not very quick.

kcchiefsus
08-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe if he could move better laterally he'd be a better tackler? That's something he appears to lack and, although he's probably fast enough as far as straight line 40 yard speed, he's not very quick.

Again, anybody who says the guy can't move laterally doesn't know what they are talking about.

How many times did Page come over at the last minute on a deep throw and deflect a pass? Quite a few.

And reports out of camp were that Page was a ballhawk and was shutting down Tony Gonzalez quite often.

KC Joyner listed Page as one of his most underrated safeties stating that Page had one of the best coverage statistics for coverage safeties.

B_Ambuehl
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
He can play centerfield but that doesn't require much movement. He struggles when he comes up and then has to change direction to make a play. Just go back and watch the tape from the preseason games. There are plenty of examples just from those games.

kcfanXIII
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
still an upgrade. tell me, if we have a bone crushing strong safety, in a cover two, wouldn't you want a free safety that is good in coverage more than coming up to stuff the run? i mean, i think thats more pollard's job.

B_Ambuehl
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
They both need to be able to cover ground and stop the run. Regardless of what position you play as a defender you gotta be able to tackle people.

Chiefnj2
08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
His scouting report was true:

He is not a consistently aggressive player and tends to wait for teammates to make tackles vs. the run. When he stays focused and under control, he can break down and tackle well in space and can make hard/physical tackles. The trouble is that more often than not, he stops his feet before contact, ends up lunging and misses more tackles than a safety should.