PDA

View Full Version : Failed to stop ticket?

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 12:49 AM
I got pulled over earlier for a "failure to stop" I went through a yellow light and the officer wrote a ticket for fail to stop at a steady red. It was not a steady red, not even close. Also filled out the ticket wrong saying the time was pm when its about a 12 hr diff. being am. does that matter and how many points would that result on a license? Thanks

Baconeater
08-25-2007, 01:00 AM
It's almost pointless to try to fight a traffic ticket. You may be able to take a driving class to get it waived though.

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM
It's almost pointless to try to fight a traffic ticket. You may be able to take a driving class to get it waived though.
I figure as much, it's just BS that the light was NEVER red. So will i have to get a lawyer to make sure points don't go on my record then? I assume points would be assessed, im not sure if its 2 points like speeding or what.

Baconeater
08-25-2007, 01:09 AM
I figure as much, it's just BS that the light was NEVER red. So will i have to get a lawyer to make sure points don't go on my record then? I assume points would be assessed, im not sure if its 2 points like speeding or what.
Can't say for sure where you live, but in NE I believe that would only be a 1 pt assessment. It's probably not going to be worth hiring a lawyer for.

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Can't say for sure where you live, but in NE I believe that would only be a 1 pt assessment. It's probably not going to be worth hiring a lawyer for.
I have no idea, the mo website says all moving violations not listed are 2 pts, but has a stop sign thing as 1 point, but this was a light. Any ideas where ican find out the specific info to how many points would be assessed. ?

DJJasonp
08-25-2007, 01:19 AM
I had this happen quite a while ago...but I was a kansas boy in Missouri....so basically I was fooked.

I remember going to court to fight it...the judge wouldnt even let me finish my first sentence....

$50 and higher insurance rates later.....

I feel for you my friend....

Baconeater
08-25-2007, 01:27 AM
I have no idea, the mo website says all moving violations not listed are 2 pts, but has a stop sign thing as 1 point, but this was a light. Any ideas where ican find out the specific info to how many points would be assessed. ?
The NE website is unclear about it as well. I'd call your DMV, and inquire about a driving course to get it cleared. That's probably going to be your best bet.

Guru
08-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Just pay the higher ticket price to keep it off your record.

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 01:37 AM
what higher ticket price? It is an $80 ticket

Baconeater
08-25-2007, 01:38 AM
What on earth are you talking about?

Guru
08-25-2007, 01:42 AM
What on earth are you talking about?
Well, here in Topeka, if you get a moving violation they have the NORMAL ticket price and the higher ticket price that keeps it off of your record.

In the long run, it makes more sense to pay the higher ticket price than to let it go to your insurance.

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 01:42 AM
The NE website is unclear about it as well. I'd call your DMV, and inquire about a driving course to get it cleared. That's probably going to be your best bet.
May have to do that, i just would like to know mainly if its 1 point or 2, def. a big difference in needing to get a lawyer to waive it or not.

Baconeater
08-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, here in Topeka, if you get a moving violation they have the NORMAL ticket price and the higher ticket price that keeps it off of your record.

In the long run, it makes more sense to pay the higher ticket price than to let it go to your insurance.
:hmmm: Never heard of that before. I guess money talks, and that's proof that traffic tickets are more about generating revenue than enforcing laws.

Micjones
08-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Been in this situation before.

In Missouri you'll have to pay something like 1.5-2.5 times the price of the ticket to keep it off of your record.

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2007, 04:56 AM

In the long run, it makes more sense to pay the higher ticket price than to let it go to your insurance.Holy crap. Talk about grifting.

Guru
08-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Holy crap. Talk about grifting.
Yeah, it is. But it does save you in the long run quite a bit.

Personally, I have never had to use it. Sure wish we had that back in 1986 though. That was my last ticket. Hopefully, I will never need to use it.

rtuimauga
08-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Okay, I have had this happen to me before and it was yellow as I was going through the light. I fought it in court without a lawyer and won. The judge said that technically when it's yellow the law states to "proceed with caution". So even if it did turn red while you were passing you are fine. It helped that I was nice about the whole deal and the judge was wayyyy cool. I would fight it, worse case scenario is they say NO! Good luck!

Skip Towne
08-25-2007, 06:07 AM
It's all about the money.

StcChief
08-25-2007, 06:12 AM
lawyer reduces it to a NON MOVING VIOLATION. (Parking) You pay 2X ticket and lawyer fee.

Do the math for your higher insurance for 3 years

KC Jones
08-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Try calling up the DA directly, sometimes they will deal with you and you won't have to hire a lawyer.

jettio
08-25-2007, 07:20 AM
In the KC area, Missouri city prosecutors pretty much require a lawyer to negotiate an amendment to a non-moving violation. Most of the city courts in Kansas allow amendments without a lawyer.

It is a matter of whether your insurance company will raise your rates for any moving violation whether an amendment would be economical or not.

Sad to say, but most city courts do not stick with proof beyond a reasonable doubt for traffic tickets and most often side up with the officer if it is your testimony versus the officer's.

If the police car had a video camera and was situated so that it recorded you going through the intersection you could have some objective evidence to use to seek acquittal. Most cars with video only see from the front of the car. Some departments (KCK) have digital video and run continuously and could set up to recapture the 30 seconds before activating lights or siren. Departments with older vhs recorders (KCMO) record from the time that lights or siren are activated (which would be after the alleged violation) unless it is still running from the previous stop, which could be the case if the officer was bird-dogging and writing a bunch of tickets at the location, but then he may have the car pointed so that it would not record you travelling through the intersection.

What city were you in and who wrote the ticket, city police or highway patrol?

Bwana
08-25-2007, 07:27 AM
You should be able to get out of it, but it may take up a little time. Here is a great link on how to get started. A bit long, but there is some great information in those two pages if you want to fight it.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/ItPaysToAvoidaSpeedingTicket.aspx

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info and help guys, ill look into things.

I was pulled over coming off barry rd exit by zona off 29. ugh

Brock
08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
It's all about keeping people safe.

Frazod
08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Exactly. Once in Chicago I was coming up on a light when it turned yellow. In my rearview mirror I saw a black Mustang bearing down on me fast. Had I braked to stop for the light, he would have hit me. So I punched it get through the light, which barely turned red (if at all) before I made it through the intersection. The Mustang turns and fishtails through the intersection blatently blowing the light. A cop sees the whole thing.... and gives ME the ticket. Apparently it was easier for him to flag me than chase the guy who was speeding, blowing off lights for real and driving like a f#cking maniac. I asked the cop what I should have done, and he said stop at the light. I said "You know if I'd done that he'd have hit me." The cop said "Oh well. You should have stopped." Gotta love Chicago cops. :shake:

So I try to fight the ticket. I'd gotten lots of tickets in my life, but they were all legitimate - I was speeding and got nailed - case closed. But this was just a pure miscarriage of justice. I took one of the attorneys I worked for with me, and explained to the judge what happened. His exact words - "Trying to avoid an accident, eh? SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLAR FINE! Next!"

Cocksucking thieves 4321

Redcoats58
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I believe if they have written the wrong time or date you can get the judge to drop the ticket. I had a friend that got a ticket dropped because the wrong date was on it, you'd have to check on time though.

CoMoChief
08-25-2007, 10:49 AM
If it's not speeding, you can usually just represent yourself in court and argue it and a lot of times with violations like this you can get out of simply because they don't have the time to deal with it because their case load is larger than shit.

Simplex3
08-25-2007, 10:56 AM
what higher ticket price? It is an $80 ticket
Here's how it works.

You call the prosecutor that will have to present your case if you go to court. You tell them you're willing to plead if they'll reduce it to a non-moving violation. If they don't bite, ask if you can pay a higher fine as well. I've never had a prosecutor NOT take that deal.

Crashride
just do what they want or theyll go david boston on you

Skip Towne
It's all about keeping people safe.
I feel so much safer when they are stealing my money.

Frazod
08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
If it's not speeding, you can usually just represent yourself in court and argue it and a lot of times with violations like this you can get out of simply because they don't have the time to deal with it because their case load is larger than shit.
Heh. Not in Chicago. They've raised f#cking people over to an art form up here. Unless you know somebody, you're paying, and they will take the time to get EVERYBODY'S money.

I got out of ONE ticket up here. One out of perhaps eight or nine that I've received in or near Chicago over the years. The only reason - my goomba lawyer was friends with the goomba judge. Instant dismissal (and I was guilty as hell, too). :D It was beautiful to see it work for me, if only just once.

There is no f#cking justice in traffic court. It's just a cash cow.

Valiant
08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I just had the prosecuting attorney dismiss my case this past weds at liberty by talking to him...

I would suggest talking to them first and explaining it, if you are sincere and honest I am sure they will drop it all together..

CoMoChief
08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Heh. Not in Chicago. They've raised f#cking people over to an art form up here. Unless you know somebody, you're paying, and they will take the time to get EVERYBODY'S money.

I got out of ONE ticket up here. One out of perhaps eight or nine that I've received in or near Chicago over the years. The only reason - my goomba lawyer was friends with the goomba judge. Instant dismissal (and I was guilty as hell, too). :D It was beautiful to see it work for me, if only just once.

There is no f#cking justice in traffic court. It's just a cash cow.
Chicago is different. They have one of the most corrupt law enforcement agencies in the country. Judicial system and all to be honest. A lot of my family lives up there and in Naperville, and I constantly hear about it all the time.

Mr. Laz
08-25-2007, 12:09 PM
actually hire a lawyer ..... the time mistake might be enough to get the ticket thrown out.

Sure-Oz
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I've got till the end of october so i will definetly take my time and find out some things to get out of this or have it reduced to a non moving. I got a license plate ticket not too long ago around this area as well, just kind've annoyed because i didn't run a red.

dtebbe
08-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Just pay the damn fine and try stopping next time.

DT