PDA

View Full Version : Lakers take it to the house!

Chiefs Pantalones
05-13-2001, 08:36 PM
Get out the broom, LA sweeps the Kings. They put up a tough fight, though.

Bring on San Antonio!

CG

BTW, CWeb is gone, where will he play next year?

oleman47
05-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Does anyone else think Shaq gets a break from the Refs? I admit I'm not a Laker fan, but not really hot on any team.

AJKCFAN
05-13-2001, 08:58 PM
Cody:

Congratulations on the sweep from this fallen Kings fan.
Thanks for the kind words about it being a fight, but it's tough to win when the best 2 players on the court are wearing the yellow and purple.

Where will Webber be? I don't know, other than he's not coming back and that's what makes this so crushing a loss. Wherever he goes to, I just can only hope it's a sign and trade where Petrie can obtain some nice talent to add to what still will be a solid squad.

I expect Williams to be gone elsewhere and it wouldn't surprise me to see him involved in the pending Webber deal.

Divac will stay, most importantly because he's Peja's and Hido's mentor.

Kings focus this offeseason begins with Webber. Try to sign him but once it's clear that won't work (which we already know is the case), get the best deal you can in a sign and trade which Webber can agree to. Christie needs to be resigned as the next step and that should happen. He does love it in Sacramento.

Kings are a point guard and two nasty and energetic frontcourt players from being a Top 4 Western Conference team again. The good news is they have an outstanding GM in Geoff Petrie who has worked wonders getting the Kings to this unchartered territory and he has the total support and confidence to do whatever he feels necessary to improve the Kings.

But this night belongs to you and the Lakers fans. Superb play all series long. You deserved this sweep.

milkman
05-13-2001, 09:02 PM
Donald,
You're right, Shaq does get a break from the refs, as do all superstars in the NBA. The difference, however, is that unlike the rest of the superstars, because Shaq is so much more physically dominating, refs allow defenses to pound and hack him all game long. If Iverson or Carter are even breathed on, the refs call a foul.

oleman47
05-13-2001, 09:10 PM
I saw Carter take some licks today that weren't called but that game was at such fast pace that I don't blame the refs. But the basic move of Shaq is a charge, the second one is to fend them off with the arm that is free. I would put in some bencher and have him flop, particularly at home til the crowd killed the ref. Just kidding.

milkman
05-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Webber has stated that he doesn't like playing in a small market, but I think when it's all said and done, he'll wind up staying right where he is. I know that goes against everything that we've heard. It's just a gut feeling.
Jason Williams is history. That will be the best move the Kings can make. His game in the clutch hurts them far more often than it helps. He's a bad decision maker in the half court game. In the playoffs, the point guard has to be function in the half court.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-13-2001, 09:30 PM
Milkman,

Good take on Jason Williams, I agree 100%.

AJKCFAN,

I agree that the Kings aren't that far away from being a top 4 WC team. Hang in there. Although we are separate (team wise) in the NBA, we are not in the NFL, so I know how ya feel with the Kings situation.

I've always wondered what it would be like for my Chiefs to win the Super Bowl, I know they won it back in 1969, but I want them to win it in my life time. I hope.

CG

knows what it feels like for my NBA team to win a Championship, but not for my Chiefs. I'm still waiting on that, but not giving up hope. And since I love football more than basketball, the feeling will be greater when the Chiefs win the Super Bowl than the Lakers winning a Title.

AJKCFAN
05-13-2001, 09:44 PM
Cody:

Thanks. Have you been able to receive any of the Smoke Signals I've looked to send over your way?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-13-2001, 09:47 PM
No, I have not. I don't know why I didn't. Go ahead and send again. Maybe its because I've been gone or something. Oh well, send away!

CG

thinks its just my luck not to get the message

AJKCFAN
05-13-2001, 09:51 PM
OK, Cody, it's been sent.

BIG_DADDY
05-14-2001, 09:17 AM
Oleman,

What do you want? He only played 38 minutes of the last game and half of the game before. The whole time they are hitting his arms every time he goes to the hoop. Sure a lot of flopping going on as well.

Last night they said that Webber was looking to go to the Knicks. They could become the East Coast version of the Trailblazers.

BRING ON THE SPURS !!!

BIG DADDY

BTW, How about that Kobe. Where is the love?

Baby Lee
05-14-2001, 09:37 AM
Not completely on topic, but related enough to go here.

Did anyone catch Sean Jones on the Tony Kornheiser show Friday? He said something that dropped my jaw. He was talking about Shaq, and his monstrous size and how he should, by all rights [height, weight, strength, wingspan, etc.], be the greatest to ever play the game, but Jordan had that 'something extra' that Shaq may or may not acquire in the course of his career.
Then he started talking about 'prototypicals' in other leagues. He cited Lemieux in the NHL, but did anyone catch [or can anyone guess] who he picked as the guy who has/had the tools to play the game of football better than anyone else ever?

Hint [paraphrasing Nigel in 'This is Spinal Tap'] 'There's such a fine line line between a quick first move and an offsides whistle.'
hint, part deux, "I swear that buffet said it was 17."

Blew me away when he said that, and on a national radio show where the Chiefs/Broncos had not even been mentioned all day to that point.

TEX
05-14-2001, 10:44 AM
I honestly can't see how anyone could actually like the Lakers. IF the refs let them PLAY, IMO the Spurs will beat them. My bet is that Shaq will NOT have to face BOTH Duncan and Robinson. One will get into early foul trouble because of tick tack calls.

BIG_DADDY
05-14-2001, 10:53 AM
I would hardly call hacking, tick tack calls.

TEX
05-14-2001, 11:13 AM
If they are legit fouls than so be it. But, when these two teams meet, there is a history of tick tack calls going against the Spurs. Fact is that the Spurs are a deeper team and can play at any tempo. Don't be too surprised if they take the Lakers. IMHO, the Spurs are the better team and IF they are allowed to PLAY at full strength, they will prove it. Problem is that san Antonio is a small market...Ratings do matter!

aturnis
05-14-2001, 11:20 AM
Now that the Orlando Magic have been beat out, there is no more reason to watch. So lets stop this basketball talk and get to chattin' about hockey and football!

BIG_DADDY
05-14-2001, 01:54 PM
KCFT,

Robinson fouls him every other play. If we are going to let them play, you have to let Shaq play as well. The officials have kept him out of half the game the last two games. It is total crap. I do agree with you that these two teams are far and away the best teams in basketball. Should be one hell of a series. That's what I like about racing. No officials to screw things up.

Baby Lee
05-14-2001, 01:58 PM
Is no one in disagreement with Jones' statement that, [paraphrasing here] of all the people to come through the NFL, McLockton had the physique and abilities to be the best to ever play the game?

alanm
05-14-2001, 02:07 PM
Biskitball=Boring.

milkman
05-14-2001, 06:09 PM
HC,
San Antonio has more depth, and better shooters for the most part. The Lakers are the better team, however, because their #1 and #2 (Shaq and Kobe) players are far superior to SA's #1 and #2 players (Duncan and Robinson)
When it comes right down to it, that is really all that matters in the NBA today.

Sean Jones is full of crap!

Tribal Warfare
05-14-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by milkman
HC,
San Antonio has more depth, and better shooters for the most part. The Lakers are the better team, however, because their #1 and #2 (Shaq and Kobe) players are far superior to SA's #1 and #2 players (Duncan and Robinson)

Duncan and Robinson will keep each other fresh, by alternating defensive duties on Shaq. The Spurs will dominate the middle with Robinson and Duncan. Kobe will be unable to drive in the lane, While Shaq will be fending off the best big-man duo in the NBA.

Spurs in 5

milkman
05-14-2001, 07:08 PM
CP,
I agree with you also. Robinson and Duncan will alternate gaurding Shaq. That, however, will not keep them fresh. Shaq is so physically dominating, that by games end, they both will be exhausted.
Kobe may not be able to get the ball in the hoop, but he will drive the lane, and will get fouled, and get to the line 12-15 times a game.
From where I sit, the key for the Spurs is for Robinson to have productive games on the scoreboard. If Shaq challenges his mid range jumper, and keeps him from scoring more that 14-18 points a game, the Lakers take the series in 6 games.
We know that Duncan and Shaq will get their points.
It comes down to whether Robinson or Kobe's contributions are equal to or greater than their regular season contributions.
The man that can create his own shots, and take his defender one on one wins.
Advantage Lakers.

oleman47
05-14-2001, 07:18 PM
The NBA has allowed the offensive player to bump his defender before shooting. This bump makes it impossible for the defender to defense the shot. This is what the NBA thinks sells tickets. With Shaq, Malone (although he does a lot of fade aways) and many other big men, it gives the big guy the advantage on top of the advantage he already has. It has made the NBA goon ball.

Duncan is just as good as Shaq but if Shaq can knock him off balance then it is no contest. Duncan is just not big enough.

milkman
05-14-2001, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by oleman47
The NBA has allowed the offensive player to bump his defender before shooting. This bump makes it impossible for the defender to defense the shot.

Duncan is just as good as Shaq but if Shaq can knock him off balance then it is no contest. Duncan is just not big enough.

You've just explained the reason that Shaq is the superior player. Shaq, like any other player, plays within the perameters of what is allowed by the refs.
Shaq is the most physically dominating player in the game, and Duncan doesn't come close in this area, while Shaq is every bit as quick as, if not quicker than, Duncan.

California Injun
05-14-2001, 11:13 PM
The Lakers are well prepared to face the Chris Webber clone (i.e. Robinson) with his mid-range jumpers as the man is too **** to mix it up underneath.

The key to this series in Robinson. If he takes the ball to the hole with authority then the Lakers are in for a tough battle.

Derek Anderson's injury has tipped this series in favor of the Lakers. San Antonio may have the 3 point shooters but it is a bit different trying to drain a 25 footer with your team trailing by 3 in the 4th quarter.

Lakers defense with Fisher and Fox will contest those open looks the Spurs are use to on the perimeter. Couple that with the fact that Duncan has had NOBODY to bang with the size of Shaq this post-season.

Minnesota and Dallas were finesse teams.

Shaq-Daddy will beat them senseless in the paint...