PDA

View Full Version : We Should Have Drafted Drew Brees

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
KC traded away the 12th pick in the Draft to get Trent. If KC would of traded down in the first round they could have picked up Drew late in round one moved up or have gotten an extra pick in round two or three. Brees had all the earmarks of success coming out of college. He tested extremely high on the wonderlic, he was extremely accurate, he was a clutch player at Purdue and he is a good leader. Brees played well out of the chute (eventhough he made rookie mistakes) and is now entering his prime.

88TG88
08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
We should've drafted Jim Kelly

unothadeal
08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, you're right.

KcMizzou
08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Hindsight kicks ass.

ChiefsFire
I shoulda had a V 8.

Woodrow Call
Pretty much

Bowser
08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
That's what Len Dawson wanted us to do.

ChiefsCountry
We should have drafted Tom Brady in 2000 or Dan Marino in 1983 or Joe Montana in 1979.

But that is what I wanted in 2001 though. I was happy though getting Trent.

ChiefaRoo
That's what Len Dawson wanted us to do.

Yep I remember. Brees was an obvious choice for KC. He is a Mid-Western QB from Purdue. Hell, he is Len Dawson.

Instead Carl and Grandpa Dick gave away the 12th pick to pick up an older GB who had a bum knee.

Trent ended up being a good pick but he was to old and now Roaf, Shields are gone. By the time Brodie gets good Donnie and Tony G. may be to old.

SNR
08-25-2007, 04:42 PM
If Carl had three wheels, then that would make him a tricycle.

Logical
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
KC traded away the 12th pick in the Draft to get Trent. If KC would of traded down in the first round they could picked up Drew late in round one moved up or have gotten an extra pick in round two or three. Brees had all the earmarks of success coming out of college. He tested extremely high on the wonderlic, he was extremely accurate, he was a clutch player at Purdue and he is a good leader. Brees played well out of the chute (eventhough he made rookie mistakes) and is now entering his prime.

Why, so Carl would not have allowed the coaches to play him? I mean playing him would have jeopardized another potential mediocre season.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, and in 2002 instead of trading up to get Sims we should've held out and drafted Levi Jones, or Dwight Freeney. It's a shame.

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, and in 2002 instead of trading up to get Sims we should've held out and drafted Levi Jones, or Dwight Freeney. It's a shame.

Or John Henderson.

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Why, so Carl would not have allowed the coaches to play him? I mean playing him would have jeopardized another potential mediocre season.

You are probably right. That's why KC hasn't been to the Bowl.

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Drew Brees = Len Dawson. It was so obvious and they both were Purdue QB's for pete's sake.

KCChiefsMan
08-25-2007, 04:50 PM
hindsight is 20/20

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 04:52 PM
hindsight is 20/20

Yeah it is but I said it at the time.

KCChiefsMan
08-25-2007, 05:05 PM

well you were correct sir!

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 05:08 PM
well you were correct sir!

In fairness I never would of drafted LJ. I would of drafted Boss Bailey that year. Is he still in Detroit?

Mr. Laz
08-25-2007, 05:09 PM
didn't pretty everyone say we should draft Drew Brees

except htismaqe of course ROFL

DeezNutz
08-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Brees was one of the last quarterbacks that I thought would have been great for the Chiefs. Made me look pretty smart. The other one...Plummer...not so much. (feeling much better after the most torrid confession of my life)

KCChiefsMan
08-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I was saying all last year we need to take Marques Colston

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Or John Henderson.

Remember, everyone was worried about Henderson being too tall (chop block material) and having bad knees coming out of Tenn.

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not saying that KC's mgmt. should be held accountable for every good player they didn't pick. It just seems obvious that Brees was a perfect pick for KC at the time. His play at Purdue was excellent, KC's need for a QB at the time, KC's draft position. It just made sense. He would of made a good Chief.

Brock
08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
No, Dan Marino.

blueballs
08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Carl didn't want a mole on the face of the franchise

Mr. Laz
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Remember, everyone was worried about Henderson being too tall (chop block material) and having bad knees coming out of Tenn.
bad back

it was reported that he had narrowing of the spinal canal or something before the draft.

Mr. Laz
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Carl didn't want a mole on the face of the franchise
ROFL

Bearcat
08-25-2007, 05:24 PM
I thought the Vick trade was great for SD... even though I really liked Vick at the time, I thought getting LT and Brees were both going to be really good, too.

My first reaction to this thread was about hindsight, but it's actually a much better deal. We didn't know what we were getting at RB or QB that year, and it's not like we were once piece away and would have wasted an otherwise great season had Brees not performed.

In fairness I never would of drafted LJ. I would of drafted Boss Bailey that year. Is he still in Detroit?

I hated that pick... every year Carl was saying "if this guy slides down, sure we'll take him" (and then of course, the one time we trade up it ends up being Fat Burger Sims). That year, Boss Bailey was available, we traded down, and then he was still available when we picked LJ.

RJ
08-25-2007, 06:24 PM
In fairness, that was a "Win Now" move and it might have worked if we'd had a better defense. It didn't work but I think it was a worthwhile risk. And we did get some great entertainment over those few years.

the Talking Can
08-25-2007, 06:31 PM
we also should have drafted Jordan....Sam Bowie?? ouch...

Guru
08-25-2007, 06:40 PM
KC traded away the 12th pick in the Draft to get Trent. If KC would of traded down in the first round they could have picked up Drew late in round one moved up or have gotten an extra pick in round two or three. Brees had all the earmarks of success coming out of college. He tested extremely high on the wonderlic, he was extremely accurate, he was a clutch player at Purdue and he is a good leader. Brees played well out of the chute (eventhough he made rookie mistakes) and is now entering his prime.
DUH

Valiant
08-25-2007, 06:43 PM
He would have rode the bench the whole time and maybe seen one to two games in relief duty, after that he would have been released and out of football...

Tribal Warfare
08-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I wanted Brees too, but if you remember the Planet's consensus it was "he's too short", "He has a noodle for an arm", and "he came from a pass happy offense which doesn't translate well".

Fairplay
08-25-2007, 06:49 PM
If i had 20/20 hindsight all my life i could retire.

Hell, even had the lottery pick numbers.

Fairplay
08-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Lets ask ChiefaRoo which picks are the sure thing next draft. He knows.

ChiefaRoo
08-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Lets ask ChiefaRoo which picks are the sure thing next draft. He knows.

I'm not a guru. I'm just saying Brees was an obvious pick at the time.

Guru
08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
No sir, you most definitely are not. :)

blueballs
08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Philip Rivers is happy KC didn't draft him

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Don't blame me, I wanted Michael Bennett.

blueballs
08-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Yes the Powder Blue drafted
Rivers to back up boy wonder

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm not a guru. I'm just saying Brees was an obvious pick at the time.So obvious, in fact, that every team passed on him.

JBucc
08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
We could've traded for him too! Of course if he put up stats like his first three years in SD everyone would be yelling bust and trade his ass.

NewChief
08-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Brees would have been run out of town his first poor preseason game.

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
What would a TrINT fan know?

Manila-Chief
08-25-2007, 08:18 PM

zactly ... I took note during the last Hard Knocks program where Kingless insisted that we "win" this season. Never mind preparing for an eventual championship. Let's fill up the seats/bank account this season and continue with no playoff wins since????

I was thinking ... we possibly have the same situation now with Brodie ... Brees got to play and learn ... who know if Croyle could be another Brees or Brady? Brady only got to show his stuff when he got onto the field due to an injury. I had hect of a lot rather see what Brodie can do ... he may be even better than Brees but as Logical said ... I doubt we ever find out coz Kingless wants to keep the dollars rolling in ... so he insists Herm play QB that can get us to 8-8 or 9-7 and just barely miss the playoffs ... keeps the fans expecting more next year. Let's build a championship team and quit piecing things together just to have another mediocre season.

Thig Lyfe
08-25-2007, 08:25 PM
This is an interesting thread, but it keeps bugging me that ChiefaRoo keeps typing "would OF" instead of "would HAVE". Sometimes being a grammar nazi takes the fun out of things.

NewChief
08-25-2007, 08:28 PM
What would a TrINT fan know?

:p

Skip Towne
08-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Would have (twice) I can't learn you nothing.

dj56dt58
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Draft Brees? It took him several years to develop into a good qb. People are wanting to dump Croyle after a few preseason games..

FRCDFED
08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Patience folks!! I was on the Brees bandwagon back then also but that won't do us any good now. I was also on the Brodie Croyle bandwagon when I saw him still on the board.

While Croyle has failed to impress so far he possesses many intangibles that most of the better QB's have. He is very mentally strong, has a great arm, and also great leadership qualities.

Croyle hasn't stood a chance so far in the preseason.

1. Hell he has shit blockers who won't give him time to even consider reading coverages much less go through his check downs;

2. Shit receivers who couldn't hang onto the ball if it were a hand-off;

3. Injured FB's who haven't been in the game to pick up the blitz packages;

4. Second and third string RB's who won't keep the defense honest.

Give Croyle a break!! We need to draft or trade for a couple of lineman to give whoever the starting QB is some protection.

Holding Croyle out at this point might be the best thing for him in the short term.

milkman
08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Brees played well out of the chute

What Charger team were you watching?

Brees sucked ass his first couple of seasons, was benched in a favor of that midget Flutie, and the team had so little confidence in him that they drafted Phillips Rivers.

You need to give up smoking whatever it is you're smoking.

Skip Towne
08-25-2007, 09:21 PM
What Charger team were you watching?

Brees sucked ass his first couple of seasons, was benched in a favor of that midget Flutie, and the team had so little confidence in him that they drafted Phillips Rivers.

You need to give up smoking whatever it is you're smoking.
We just kind of humor him around here. He isn't very smart. He's from Whichita.

runnercyclist
08-26-2007, 09:08 AM

And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Stupid post

htismaqe
08-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Brees would have suffered the same fate here that he suffered in San Diego.

el borracho
08-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Heh. I wanted to draft Deuce McAllister and sign Collins in free-agency. I still wonder what that would have been like...