PDA

View Full Version : NFBT - Well, I'm outa here......

WisChief
05-14-2001, 07:50 AM
For about 2 weeks.

I have spent the last 40 weeks of my life training for a 15 year goal and on Sat. May 19 I will attempt to become an IRONMAN!!!! :) Tues night my wife and son and I will be traveling to Ocean Side California to compete in Ironman California - a triathlon consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, followed by the 112 mile bike ride and finishing with a 26.2 mile run. I hope to finish in about 11 hours - about 2 1/2 hours behind the winners and about 6 hours before the official time limit of 17 hours. Not much more to say except to ask you all for your thoughts and prayers as I tackle this mofo with all my being!!!!!!!!!

:D

www.ironmancalifornia.com

Gaz
05-14-2001, 08:03 AM
Good luck.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tissuepaperman.

stevieray
05-14-2001, 08:06 AM
Wow! I could ride 112 miles...on my motorcycle.

ExtremeChief
05-14-2001, 08:15 AM
Good luck bud, you've got cajones...

continuing training for the beerolympics...

mlyonsd
05-14-2001, 08:16 AM
Anyway, good luck. I have watched that competition from the comfort of my recliner a couple of times.

Believe me when I say I admire anyone that has the nads to train that hard to be able to do something like that.

BIG_DADDY
05-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Good luck to you. I am in pretty great shape but still have yet to attempt something of that caliber. Takes one hell of a lot of heart to do those.

BIG DADDY

Doubts he ever will.

47mack
05-14-2001, 10:34 AM
Good luck. You are a true "iron man" regardless of your finish time.

seclark
05-14-2001, 10:45 AM
i was in a local triathalon in this area, but was on a team(i swam, one guy rode, one guy ran). got there and one of the coordinators thought we were volunteers instead of competitors. maybe it was the fact i was packing a cooler, and my other teamate was puffing of a cig and the thir guy was 58yrs old(he was also the only athlete).

we finished(134th out of 138teams), but never, ever, again.

good luck!
sec
(hard to swim w/beer suds coming out your nose)

Mark M
05-14-2001, 11:51 AM
Two things:

1. Good luck. Just finishing makes you a winner.

2. You are without a doubt insane. Doing just one stage of those takes a lot of dedication and training, but to do all three takes a sadist.

:D

Seriously though ... good luck, drive safely and may the wind be always at your back.

MM
~~Big 'ol wimp.

milkman
05-14-2001, 06:17 PM
Wow,
I don't have the stamina to watchthat kind of competition, much less compete in one!
Good luck. I'll tip a beer in your honor.

WisChief
05-25-2001, 08:35 AM
Well, I'm back and I made it - not quite in the 11 hours I'd hoped for. Total time 11 hrs 39 mins. Below are some quick thoughts:

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE EVENT, DAY AND LIFE!!!

I spent 6 years in the Marines and I never knew that they could do what they did with this event. You want someone killed - call the Marines, you want a world class Ironman - call the Marines. What else can I say? 7 aid stations on each 56 mile loop and there must have been 50 Marines at each. You didn't leave an aid station with out enough food/drink or goosebumps from their emotions!!!! Pre, during and Post event, these guys and gals ROCKED!!!

Swim - 1750 starters and I swam RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE the whole time. Very bumpy swim - but very cool!!! 1:10:35. Pretty much right on target.

T1 - Wet suit strippers couldn't get the damn thing over my watch - almost tore my arm off. hehehehe. My T bag was waiting and I zoomed into the tent to find it PACKED!!!. No chair - changed quickly and left. My bike was waiting for me in a loving volunteers arms. Outa there in 6:50. About 4 mins too damn slow!!! YIKES

Bike. Very cool course - very hard!!! (go to the website and check out the elevation chart) I took it easy thru 30 to the first big climb and then you had no choice but to put effort into it. First lap in at 20 mph. Very happy. Second lap - little tougher. Windy this lap - very windy as a matter of fact. Still motored along and then at the about the 90 mile mark I had the unfortunate experience of seeing a fellow athlete lying in the road dead. I seriously considered stopping and quiting at this point. What was the point - nothing else mattered??? I write this with tears in my eyes for his wife, daughter and family and friends. Those last 2o miles were very hard for me mentally. Physically I was okay. Finish in 5:45:47 - 6 pee breaks included.
Avg HR - 142

T2 - smooth - changed clothes completely - out in 3:28. Still about 2 mins too slow - but......

Run. Here we go. Short story - first 17 miles were, dare I say "easy"?.... I ran to every aid and then walked to drink/eat. At about 17.5 I started having stomach problems (read "the trots"). At about 18 I spent 6 mins on the porta stinky! and over the next 3 miles or so I had to visit the stinky 2 more times. The last 5 miles or so were very frustrating because my legs, although very tired and heavy, wanted to run. My guts did not. Each run step brought on feelings of "oh crap - I'm gonna crap!" I pretty much walked 2 1/2 of the last 5. All and all - very pleased with the marathon. Time - 4:32:39. I have no doubt what so every that I could have/should have done sub 4 (my goal), but it wasn't meant to be. I don't yet know why - maybe I drank too much Coke???? (the only thing I did different on race day than training - I drake coke in training - just not that much)

Overall - UNBELIEVABLE!!! I am still at a loss for words on how I feel about this time in my life. The death of Mr. Redina has affected me more than I thougt and has definately taken some of the "me" out of this. I truely want to pass my heart fealt sorrow to his family and friends.

I want to do more though!!! I can go faster and I want to train in the summer and find out how much faster. Madison? Probably....

Thanks for listening!!!

By the way - I have my appointment for Wed of next week for my M DOT TATTOO!!!! WAA HOOOOOO!!!

Phobia
05-25-2001, 08:45 AM
Awesome Wade -

Congrats on the performance and Semper Fi - didn't know you were a Marine.

Tough luck on the other portion. Did the guy just overexert himself or was there a traumatic accident?

Cormac
05-25-2001, 08:48 AM
Wow Wade! I don't know what to say. Congratulations, I guess! That is a phenomenal achievement. I'm glad it was everything you hoped it would be. Terrible news about that other athlete though. Good luck in future training!

ChiTown
05-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Seriously, I'm winded just listening to your story. Bad news about the athlete dying. Truely sad to see people die in sports. Tragic.

Good luck with the future training. Just so you know, your story has inspired me to start my own training. That's right. Instead of having my son fetch me beers while I'm watching the games, I'm going to start meeting him half way;)

ChiTown
~Very jealous

Phobia
05-25-2001, 09:03 AM
and I just can't imagine someone spending all that money to travel from Wisconsin to Oceanside, CA and RUN/Swim/Ride for 6.5 hours???? Have you seen the beaches in O'side? Plenty of room to relax and a decent surf. It's where I first learned to surf. I never felt the need to run though - jeez.;)

WisChief
05-25-2001, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by KPhobia
Awesome Wade -

Congrats on the performance and Semper Fi - didn't know you were a Marine.

Tough luck on the other portion. Did the guy just overexert himself or was there a traumatic accident?

This guy crashed on a seriously fast downhill portion (I had a max speed on 51 mph - while holding the brakes). There was a gradual left turn at the bottom and he simply crashed. It happened only minutes before I got to the spot. As I stated - I'm torn for his family. This guy died doing something he obviously loved and his pain is done.

Anyway - thanks for the thoughts!!!!