PDA

View Full Version : '06 Chiefs vs '07 Chiefs

B_Ambuehl
08-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Why does everyone think this team is gonna suck so bad?

'06 team vs '07 team

WR - better in '07
TE - same
DL - better in '07 (supposedly)
LB - better in '07
DB - better in '07 (supposedly)
RB - same
LT - better in '07
LG - same
C- same
RG - Shields for Welbourn - not much of a dropoff
RT - better in '07

Pretty much everyone can agree the Chiefs are better at 5 positions than they were last year and the only position they should be worse is at RG when they basically replaced a pro bowler with another veteran guy with pro bowl potential. Last year they were a playoff team. Why shouldn't they be a playoff caliber team this year?

Demonpenz
08-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I am excited to see what huard can do with the keys to the car. You know Tony G, LJ, are going to be fired up. I can't wait

ChiefsCountry
08-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I am excited to see what huard can do with the keys to the car. You know Tony G, LJ, are going to be fired up. I can't wait

Go 55 mph straight down the interstate in the slow lane.

Hydrae
08-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Because we lucked into the playoffs last year and Huard caught lightening in a bottle that many, including me, don't think he can repeat again this year.

Demonpenz
08-26-2007, 02:56 PM
When jarred comes back after 2 games he is going to be fired up. Hali and Him are going to have huge years. DJ should benifit from that. Ty Law using his savy is due to have a good year he lost tons of weight man. At arrowhead that D is going to be stout.

Hydrae
08-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I am very excited about the defense (as long as they learn to wrap up and tackle people). This is the style of play I fell in love with when I first started watching the Chiefs in 1990. Too bad the offense can't find it's way out of a wet paper bag.

MahiMike
08-26-2007, 02:59 PM
They backed into the playoffs last year and got lucky. They proved they didn't belong once again. 5-11 this year and last in the West.

cdcox
08-26-2007, 03:03 PM

'06 team vs '07 team

WR - better in '07
TE - same
LB - better in '07
RB - same
LT - better in '07
LG - same
C- same
RT - better in '07

Pretty much everyone can agree the Chiefs are better at 5 positions than they were last year and the only position they should be worse is at RG when they basically replaced a pro bowler with another veteran guy with pro bowl potential. Last year they were a playoff team. Why shouldn't they be a playoff caliber team this year?

I have strong doubts that we will see better play out of the starting tackles and the secondary. McIntosh could change my mind on the LT. The safeties have looked weak in preseason. Harris may not be much better than KM at MLB, we'll see. Huard played much better than expected last year. I expect he'll return to earth. The memory of the DV/Saunders offense is long gone; teams are going to choke the LOS all year until we make them play honest. I don't think we have the kind of downfield passing game to make them play honestly; therefore, I don't think LJ will be as effective.

The fluke playoff game gave a little more luster to the season than is warranted. All said, I expect about the same quality of team, which is in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. Which really isn't cause for much optimism.

B_Ambuehl
08-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I have my doubts too I just wondered why there seems to be hardly any optimism despite the upgrades.

FAX
08-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Good point, Mr. B_Ambuehl. We do look better on paper. But, so does a puppy that's not house trained yet.

I've already had my "excited about the defense" phase. That was before I saw so many missed tackles via the miracle of Sopcast.

As for the offense, I'm very unsettled. For a while there, I thought our OL was improved. Oh, and then there was the whole wide receiver actually catching the ball thing. Now that Downfield is our starter, we're suddenly short on 12-foot tall receivers. I hate to judge a team based on pre-season play, but at this stage, if we can score more than 3 points per quarter, I'll be pretty happy. I know Hermoine will be.

FAX

Rain Man
08-26-2007, 03:37 PM
2007 NFL MVP - Larry Johnson
2007 NFL Offensive Player of the Year - Larry Johnson
2007 NFL Defensive Player of the Year - Derrick Johnson
2007 NFL Rookie of the Year - DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler
2007 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year - Dwayne Bowe
2007 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year - DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler
2007 Super Bowl MVP - Damon Huard
2007 Comeback Player of the Year - Priest Holmes
2007 Coach of the Year - Herm Edwards

You heard it here first.

Demonpenz
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM

You heard it here first.

I would agree with most of that list but I don't think Larry Johnson will win the MVP I think the votors like manning or brady. Johnson would have to have a huge year

Rain Man
08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I would agree with most of that list but I don't think Larry Johnson will win the MVP I think the votors like manning or brady. Johnson would have to have a huge year

You don't think his performance in the playoffs will sway them?

Demonpenz
08-26-2007, 03:42 PM
You don't think his performance in the playoffs will sway them?

It's supposed to be a regular season award. It might though depending if he is very humble after his preformance. Frankly the voters like the awe shucks attitude if he comes out with a huge game in the playoffs and says something like. "raise the roof" then the voters will be turned off and vote manning or brady

suds79
08-26-2007, 03:56 PM

You just blew that whole post with that comment.

A future HOF and one of the all time great Guards for an average starter at best.

Damon Huard will never lead this team to a SB much less playoff wins.

IMO, Chief fans with rose tinted glasses keep pushing off the rebuilding more & more thinking we can do it when we just can't.

We had our shot when we went 13-3, it didn't work, it's time to rebuild for a realistic shot in two to three years.

But it just appears we're content to attempt to be competitive and forever stay in that 8-8 range.

ChiefaRoo
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
SUPER BOWL!!

Discuss Thrower
08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
2007 NFL MVP - Larry Johnson No, AFC/NFC Champion QB will win that one
2007 NFL Offensive Player of the Year - Larry Johnson Possibly
2007 NFL Defensive Player of the Year - Derrick Johnson Can't tackle
2007 NFL Rookie of the Year - DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler 1st round pick; Most likely NOT Bowe either
2007 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year - Dwayne Bowe Adrian Peterson
2007 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year - DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler No
2007 Super Bowl MVP - Damon Huard :homer:
2007 Comeback Player of the Year - Priest Holmes He hasn't cleared PUP
2007 Coach of the Year - Herm Edwards Romeo Crennel

You heard it here first.

My comments in bold.

Hopefully, this isn't too pessimistic... I'm usually a pessimist but this seems about right.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I was very excited about the 07 Chiefs until they named Huard the starter. That and seeing the D MISS tackles. I don't let a lot of what I see in preseason get me too concerned. But not tackling scares the hell out of me. You just don't suddenly start wrapping up when you should've been working on it all TC. Come week 1 we will find out what we really are. I am still hoping for the best.

Rain Man
08-26-2007, 04:13 PM
It's supposed to be a regular season award. It might though depending if he is very humble after his preformance. Frankly the voters like the awe shucks attitude if he comes out with a huge game in the playoffs and says something like. "raise the roof" then the voters will be turned off and vote manning or brady

What I'm seeing as more likely is that LJ will pick up over 200 yards against the Patriots in an epic showdown, and then when the Patriots come back and get into position to kick the winning field goal in the final seconds, LJ will come in on special teams like he used to do at Penn State and will dive in and block the field goal, and then he'll be so exhausted that he'll have to be carried off by Kolby Smith and Jon McGraw like Kellen Winslow back in the 80s, and I just don't think the voters will be able to resist picking him.

Demonpenz
08-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think that would happen but maybe who knows. Stranger things have happened. No one guessed the colts were going to win it all last years. crazy stuff happens in sports

siberian khatru
08-26-2007, 04:17 PM

You heard it here first.

Oh my God -- YOU'RE CARL PETERSON!

That whole Rufus Dawes crap was just deflection. Rain Man is really King Carl!

I feel like I'm watching a bad B-movie, and the guy you think is the killer rips off a fake face and reveals that he's really the other guy the whole time!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! [throws popcorn at the screen]

Rain Man
08-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh my God -- YOU'RE CARL PETERSON!

That whole Rufus Dawes crap was just deflection. Rain Man is really King Carl!

I feel like I'm watching a bad B-movie, and the guy you think is the killer rips off a fake face and reveals that he's really the other guy the whole time!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! [throws popcorn at the screen]

You're not even close. Sit the f**k down and shut the f**k up.

The Bad Guy
08-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Shields to Welbourne isn't that much of a dropoff. Shields was an amazing player, but he was on the decline the last few years. Welbourne was a very good guard in Philadelphia.

KCJohnny
08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
2006 playbook - flat.
2007 playbook - flatter.

Hopefully Solari will improve upon the play selection from last year - remember R2P2? (run, run, pass, punt)

With new weapons like Dwayne Bowe and underultilized weapons like Kris Wilson optimized, this O could be OK if the play calling isn't quite so predictable.

AZChief
08-26-2007, 05:07 PM

wtf?

kcfanintitanhell
08-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Hopefully Solari will improve upon the play selection from last year - remember R2P2? (run, run, pass, punt)

IMO, this is the intangible that could have the biggest impact on the O's production this season.

DaKCMan AP
08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Because we lucked into the playoffs last year

Bullshit.

"Let's don't get this thing twisted and think we backed into this deal. We didn't lose. We won. We won the game we were supposed to win. Those other teams played at home. They didn't win. That's not our fault. All we can do is win, and we did that and that's why we're in the playoffs, to be quite honest. We won enough games to get in the playoffs. It's very simple. Twenty teams are packing up today. We're not one of those 20. I don't want to hear about luck."

KCChiefsMan
08-26-2007, 05:54 PM
am I reading this right, or did you say Left Tackle was better in 2007 than 2006? So Jordan Black > Willie Roaf? I hope, for the sake of mankind, that I'm reading that wrong.

I read it wrong, nevermind. I always think of years based off of Madden for some reason.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Why shouldn't they be a playoff caliber team this year?

Because other teams in the division have made changes that they think have improved their team as well.

It's not like the 2007 Chiefs play the 2006 NFL. It's not a video game.

tk13
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I think people are afraid our offense is gonna look like it did in the playoff game last year.

Plus, sometimes the difference between playoffs and no playoffs is a small bounce. We got some breaks last year. The year before we didn't get any, you could've pinned it down to one play... like Surtain dropping a game winning INT against Dallas, that would've put us in the playoffs and knocked Pittsburgh out.

I think we could be a playoff contending team. I think we're gonna have a good defense, a great running back, and Huard is pretty efficient. That will flip the "martyball" switch for some people, and probably rightfully so... but there's no doubt that formula wins regular season games.

Sully
08-26-2007, 06:47 PM

wtf?
If we are discussing Shields of last year, rather than his whole career, then Welbourn isn't much of a drop off at all. Shields wasn't near his typical self last season.

KC Tattoo
08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
This team looks as good as the last 20-30 years, with a freaking old used up QB from other teams at the helm. Nothing to get exited about.
It's going to be another waisted year developing a future star QB.

Rain Man
08-26-2007, 07:44 PM
am I reading this right, or did you say Left Tackle was better in 2007 than 2006? So Jordan Black > Willie Roaf? I hope, for the sake of mankind, that I'm reading that wrong.

I read it wrong, nevermind. I always think of years based off of Madden for some reason.

How do you think Ronnie Cruz will do this year?

TEX
08-26-2007, 07:45 PM

'06 team vs '07 team

WR - better in '07
TE - same
LB - better in '07
RB - same
LT - better in '07
LG - same
C- same
RT - better in '07

I was thinking the same thing. My answer is because HERM $UCKS and now his philosophy is taking over the team. :Lin:

Valiant
08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
When jarred comes back after 2 games he is going to be fired up. Hali and Him are going to have huge years. DJ should benifit from that. Ty Law using his savy is due to have a good year he lost tons of weight man. At arrowhead that D is going to be stout.

How long will that last when defenses start stacking up 8+ men in the box because our Oline sucks horribly at protection and force Huard to beat them???

That and add in our anemic playcalling and our defense is going to be on the field for a long time each game..

Valiant
08-26-2007, 08:10 PM
They backed into the playoffs last year and got lucky. They proved they didn't belong once again. 5-11 this year and last in the West.

No way in hell CP/Herm to sink that low.. 4-5 wins at home and 1-2 on the road... This team is good for 6-9 wins this year...

Valiant
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think that would happen but maybe who knows. Stranger things have happened. No one guessed the colts were going to win it all last years. crazy stuff happens in sports

I have been picking the Colts to win it for the past three years, four counting this one.. Even though Brady might be scary with those WR's now but I have a feeling he will do the normal thing and spread the ball around, which might be better for him win wise...

B_Ambuehl
08-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Plus, sometimes the difference between playoffs and no playoffs is a small bounce. We got some breaks last year. The year before we didn't get any, you could've pinned it down to one play... like Surtain dropping a game winning INT against Dallas, that would've put us in the playoffs and knocked Pittsburgh out.

What's funny about that play is that Denver also played Dallas in Texas stadium a few weeks prior to that game and the EXACT same thing happened on the exact same play but Champ Bailey picked it off and ran it back for a touchdown. The play both times was a pass out in the flat to tight end Dan Campbell. The ball bounced off his hands into the waiting arms of a cornerback....Bailey caught it - Surtain didn't. Denver goes to the playoffs. Chiefs don't.

Thai Cheif
08-27-2007, 02:21 AM
:hmmm: Let me think. Herm's 2nd year? No way we make the playoffs. I honestly think 8-8 would be a good year the way things are shaping up thus far in the PS. Realistically 6-10 is what we're lookin at. Hope I'm wrong. :banghead:

GoHuge
08-27-2007, 07:00 AM

'06 team vs '07 team

WR - better in '07
TE - same
LB - better in '07
RB - same
LT - better in '07
LG - same
C- same
RT - better in '07

WR-should be better, but if Bowe aint all that it's worse without Dante.

TE-Could be better with Allen (the new kid).

DL-should be better, but for sure much more depth.

LB should be really outstanding. I see this being DJ's break out year.

DB-the same, older corners, rookie safeties. (could be awesome though)

RB-Deeper with Bennett healthy, Kolby Smith, and hopefully Boomer turns into bone crushing FB(fingers crossed.)

LT we traded I-65 for 71 Hwy with Macintosh down.

LG-Waters...the best player on our team at their position in my opinion.

C-Older

RG-a non roided up Welbourne is a big drop off from a HOF Guard even if Big Will had lost a step or two.

RT- we have no idea. That is a musical chair position on this team. We are one play from Kyle being back on the junk heap again, especially now that he's carrying the weight again. There is no depth on the O-line (I know I'm not breaking any news with that statement) and that is with Macintosh back at full speed. He's not that great, which is why Miami (as terrible as their O-line is) let him go.

This will be a fun season to watch. I'm going into it just wanting to see young guys look better. Kind of how I watch the Royals. I know they aren't winning the SB this year so we need to build toward the future. I DVR the Royals game and watch to see how Gordon, Butler, Meche, Teahan, Bannister, Gathright, Soria, and Greinke did and fast forward through the rest. I had a hell of a time watching our young core group get better, and that is what really gets me excited. Watching a team build it the right way. That will be my approach this year with the Chiefs only I'll watch the whole game. At least I am going to try. My goal is to not ruin any audio/visual equipment in my game room. Last year an $800 remote that controls eveything in my house and a wall mounted surround sound speaker where casualties. Gonna try and keep it chilled this year, enjoy some drinks with some friends, and watch these young guys raise hell for opposing teams.

htismaqe
08-27-2007, 08:04 AM
This is an 8 or 9-win team.

They're better at almost every position. Anybody that thinks they're going to win 4 games is kidding themselves.

The thing that is going to hold them back is that there's ZERO chance that Damon Huard puts in a 98.0 QBR this year. Everything fell his way - 1 part brains, 1 part skill, 1 part luck. Everything had to align for it to happen, it won't happen again.