PDA

View Full Version : Help! I've fallen into ambivalence and I can't get out

ChiTown
08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
As a Chiefs fan, I've always been a bit jaded as to how I approach a season, but for the life of me, I've never been so ambivalent about an upcoming season. I can not stand the direction this team is going - as it makes me sick to my stomach. Yet, I still love the Chiefs and I find it hard (read: impossible) to completely turn my attention to something else.

I fear that an entire season like this could send me into a neurotic state of Johnny Proctor proportions. And no, I'm not asking for more pie. This internet fan stuff is supposed to be fun, right? :banghead:

What's my point, you ask? I have no point. I'm losing my mind, and I thought I'd be kind enough to share my very own personal fandom train wreck. Please enjoy - compliments of me

Now, for the good news, I'm off to Beijing for the week. What's this mean? Well, it means that after a week of being around a bunch of Asian people that don't understand football, don't speak my language, and eating shit food, I'll be ready to get back to anything - even Chiefs football! :)

seclark
08-27-2007, 07:44 AM
try some of those cardboard meat treats...i hear they're worth the trip.
sec

Iowanian
08-27-2007, 07:44 AM
You just love my bad girlfriend too.

Don't worry, after you've had your shot of antibiotics, and when she's done dragging you through the mud this fall, once the weather turns cold, she'll come back, and make enough promises for you to stick around to next season.

StcChief
08-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Go luck in Beijing. Chiefs will be here.

Direckshun
08-27-2007, 07:47 AM
I love how you're going to China and you're complaining that nobody there speaks English.

And we wonder why Americans have such a poor reputation around the world.

ChiTown
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I love how you're going to China and you're complaining that nobody there speaks English.

LOL

Take two Pamprin, get a sense of humor and call someone who gives a shit in the morning.

Reerun_KC
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
After the news of Huard this weekend.. It has really curbed the enthuasim of the upcoming season around our household....

It was like you could see them getting better and planning for the future, then all of a sudden they take 4 steps back....

Brock
08-27-2007, 07:51 AM

If you've never been to China, you don't know how much I don't care what the Chinese think of us. Those people live in filth over there.

Iowanian
08-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Be careful LeRoy, Direction is the last dragon.

HonestChieffan
08-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Dont lick any childrens toys.

Iowanian
08-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Don't eat the dog food either.

ChiTown

Is that code for "Rookie Cross Dresser"?

ChiTown
Dont lick any childrens toys.

ROFL

That's top shelf humor right there.

tooge
08-27-2007, 07:55 AM
You beat me to the punch. my "season of the tailgate" thread is pretty much the same. I feel like this team is a bit directionless. Puling one way are the fans who are ready for some rebuilding and young talent. One the other is Carl Peterson and the financial importance of being at least in contention for a playoff spot in december. We need a stroke of plain old luck around this team for the first time on 10 years.

Radar Chief
08-27-2007, 07:56 AM

Sho-nuff.

Iowanian
08-27-2007, 07:58 AM
In a way, its easier going into a season with lower expectations. Less disappointment.

I've known this was coming for a year or two, and said I'd accept the consequences of rebuilding gracefully.

I'm sure I'll get rev'd up on game day, say some dirty words when dumb shit happens, but for the most part, I just want to enjoy the game this year.

I'll zip to KC a couple of times(now 4hrs closer), enjoy a tailgate, the atmosphere and hope for a win.

seclark
08-27-2007, 08:02 AM
i'm still going to get drunk on sundays.
it's a habit, not a problem
sec

stevieray
08-27-2007, 08:04 AM
I'll zip to KC a couple of times(now 4hrs closer), enjoy a tailgate, the atmosphere and hope for a win.

keep me posted...

htismaqe
08-27-2007, 08:09 AM
You said it best when you said it makes you sick to your stomach.

jiveturkey
08-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm in the same boat. I missed the Phin's game and had to DVR the last one (watched it in about 45 minutes). I also missed the 2nd Hard Knock's.

The opener against Houston will also be missed (I'm out of the country) and it's the first game that I will have missed in several years.

My expectations are super low, which is fine. We don't have to compete every year.

I expect suckage.

Take a top tier LT in the draft next year and continue building for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we suck for 2 or 3 years.

Jilly
08-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I think all this crap has made me more passionate about the Chiefs.... I guess I'm just excited that something's changing. Yeah, we were great before, our offense kicked ass...but did we make it to the Superbowl? nope...so, maybe I kinda feel like we're on the road to something that might actually get us there...just not this year.

HonestChieffan
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Jilly...you are an inspiration. Keep throwing us a lifesaver from time to time.

Im mired in Hermloathing. Learning to accept that he was sent here to punish me.

HemiEd
08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I am normally an optimist to the point of not being realistic.

Usually, this time of year, I am almost giddy with anticipation of the Chiefs season.

Not this year, I dread the embarrassment that is almost certainly going to befall this team and it's fans.

The only thing certain, I will have my ass firmly planted in front of the tube for every minute possible.

Is that a sickness?

HonestChieffan
08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Not if you have Herm as the object of distain as you watch. Rooting for his demise is actually going to keep ratings up.

oldandslow
08-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Not if you have Herm as the object of distain as you watch. Rooting for his demise is actually going to keep ratings up.

Carl is harder to take than Herm...

He is just like Herpes.

Never leaves and bugs you like an open fever blister.

Hydrae
08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
For whatever reason the decision to start Huard took a lot of the wind out of my sails for this season. I am thrilled with the advances on defense and a return to the kind of play I learned to love in the 90's.

I have serious concerns about the offense and they have little to do with the QB. However, I was ready for the ups and downs that go with a new, learning QB. It was going to be exciting to watch him progress during the season even though there were going to be times he broke my heart. But now the thrill is gone somehow. I just can not get excited about Huard being the QB.

I agree with the OP, I have fallen into ambivalence in the last 2 days.

htismaqe
08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
For whatever reason the decision to start Huard took a lot of the wind out of my sails for this season. I am thrilled with the advances on defense and a return to the kind of play I learned to love in the 90's.

I have serious concerns about the offense and they have little to do with the QB. However, I was ready for the ups and downs that go with a new, learning QB. It was going to be exciting to watch him progress during the season even though there were going to be times he broke my heart. But now the thrill is gone somehow. I just can not get excited about Huard being the QB.

:toast:

OnTheWarpath58
08-27-2007, 11:20 AM

My attitude to a T.

You still coming to Houston?

Logical
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
LOL

Take two Pamprin, get a sense of humor and call someone who gives a shit in the morning.ROFL

Logical
08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
If you've never been to China, you don't know how much I don't care what the Chinese think of us. ....I feel the same way about the Japananese and the Koreans, I am sensing a trend here.

Logical
08-27-2007, 11:32 AM

This is what I was really trying to express in my poll thread about lowered excitement level, and I just could not quite qet it right. Well expressed.

Hydrae
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
My attitude to a T.

You still coming to Houston?

Oh, for sure. The only chance I have to see my team is when they come down here, I wouldn't miss it. I just don't have high expectations of us winning like a couple years ago when we were down here last.

Besides, I already paid for the tickets. Sadly, I may be more excited about seeing the remains of Lucy (http://www.hmns.org/exhibits/special_exhibits/lucy.asp) the day before.

OnTheWarpath58
08-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh, for sure. The only chance I have to see my team is when they come down here, I wouldn't miss it. I just don't have high expectations of us winning like a couple years ago when we were down here last.

Besides, I already paid for the tickets. Sadly, I may be more excited about seeing the remains of Lucy (http://www.hmns.org/exhibits/special_exhibits/lucy.asp) the day before.

Cool.

We're not getting into town until late afternoon, so we're gonna miss the Museum District. Which sucks.

Come on down to Section 137, Row A and look for the only Chiefs fans (probably) if you wanna say hey......

Hydrae
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Cool.

We're not getting into town until late afternoon, so we're gonna miss the Museum District. Which sucks.

Come on down to Section 137, Row A and look for the only Chiefs fans (probably) if you wanna say hey......

Wow, nice seats. I way up high in section 609, row H. :(

I'll make a note and come meet ya, for sure.

OnTheWarpath58
08-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, nice seats. I way up high in section 609, row H. :(

I'll make a note and come meet ya, for sure.

I caught a lucky break on Ebay. Right place, right time.

Your seats should be great.

45 - 50 yard line, 8 rows up?

You'll see A LOT more of the game than I will.......

I just wanted the experience of sitting that close ONCE.

Guru
08-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I caught a lucky break on Ebay. Right place, right time.

Your seats should be great.

45 - 50 yard line, 8 rows up?

You'll see A LOT more of the game than I will.......

I just wanted the experience of sitting that close ONCE.
Just so you don't think I am ultra negative.

We are going to win this game.

Dave Lane
08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
If you've never been to China, you don't know how much I don't care what the Chinese think of us. Those people live in filth over there.

Actually everything there that I saw was extremely clean. Mostly I think because they eat anything that moves (or doesn't) and nothing goes to waste.

Dave

OnTheWarpath58
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Just so you don't think I am ultra negative.

We are going to win this game.

Thanks for jinxing it, jerk.

:p

BCD
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Bring me back some General Tso's chicken.

BCD
08-27-2007, 03:24 PM
This is exactly how I feel...

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-27-2007, 03:42 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I've always been a bit jaded as to how I approach a season, but for the life of me, I've never been so ambivalent about an upcoming season. I can not stand the direction this team is going - as it makes me sick to my stomach. Yet, I still love the Chiefs and I find it hard (read: impossible) to completely turn my attention to something else.

I fear that an entire season like this could send me into a neurotic state of Johnny Proctor proportions. And no, I'm not asking for more pie. This internet fan stuff is supposed to be fun, right? :banghead:

What's my point, you ask? I have no point. I'm losing my mind, and I thought I'd be kind enough to share my very own personal fandom train wreck. Please enjoy - compliments of me

Now, for the good news, I'm off to Beijing for the week. What's this mean? Well, it means that after a week of being around a bunch of Asian people that don't understand football, don't speak my language, and eating shit food, I'll be ready to get back to anything - even Chiefs football! :)
Not being a smart ass at all..... but it's just football Chi. There's more to life. I'm sure you know that.

I used to let the Chiefs ruin my whole week with a loss. That was pathetic. I'm over them now. I enjoy victorys and blow off losses completely. I'm sane now. Well not really but my insanity isn't caused by the Chiefs anymore.

htismaqe
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Not being a smart ass at all..... but it's just football Chi. There's more to life. I'm sure you know that.

I used to let the Chiefs ruin my whole week with a loss. That was pathetic. I'm over them now. I enjoy victorys and blow off losses completely. I'm sane now. Well not really but my insanity isn't caused by the Chiefs anymore.

I wish I knew how to do that.

In fact, I've wished that since the debacle at Arrowhead against the Eagles two years ago.

the Talking Can
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Beijing?

dude, you can eat some of the most amazing food of your life there...go get some dim-sum, some fresh dumplings, noodle soup, duck....just pass on anything that looks like a testicle...