PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - Opinions?

dtebbe
08-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I've kinda been out of the loop on this whole format battle, but now am thinking about buying a HD disc player to take advantage of my system. This looks like VHS vs. Beta of old. I'm leaning towards HD DVD, simply becuase the players are half the price, so if it does lose the battle, I'm only out of $350 instead of $600 or so.

I've been looking for a recent article on the battle, but all I can find is stuff from last year, which is like a century ago as far as technology is concerned.

DT

Molitoth
08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I'd wait until you find out wheather or not movie rental places are going to support one or the other.

Unless you don't mind spending $30 on every DVD you want to buy.

HC_Chief
08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
A couple of movie distributors are dropping support of BluRay. Their DVD releases will go out on HD DVD only. search slashdot

mikeyis4dcats.
08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Paramount announced last week they would be HD-DVD only. I'm waiting for an affordable dual-format player or a clear winner in the battle.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I'd wait until you find out wheather or not movie rental places are going to support one or the other.

Blockbuster announced a while ago that they are only going to carry Blu-Ray

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/17/blockbuster-chooses-blu-ray-is-the-war-over/

dtebbe
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Unless you don't mind spending $30 on every DVD you want to buy.

NetFlix has both, over 200 titles on each. SInce I love NetFlix, this is a non-issue.

DT

Fruit Ninja
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Paramount is holding this whole thing together. Which is smart. As long as they hold their ground the players HD and BR will both have massive price drops soon. The one that can get to about 200 bucks will gain a huge advantage. I debating on buying a PoS3 for Blue Ray, but i am not sure.

dtebbe
08-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Paramount is holding this whole thing together. Which is smart. As long as they hold their ground the players HD and BR will both have massive price drops soon. The one that can get to about 200 bucks will gain a huge advantage. I debating on buying a PoS3 for Blue Ray, but i am not sure.

Toshiba has a good HD DVD unit at $329. I have to admit if it was $269 or so it would be a no-brainer for me. $500 for a blu-ray is not worth the risk to me.

DT

Dallas Chief
08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Paramount announced last week they would be HD-DVD only. I'm waiting for an affordable dual-format player or a clear winner in the battle.
So did Dreamworks. BUT i don't think it includes the Spielberg catalog. They are exempt from the deal. Fox announced 29 new BD titles including “Silver Surfer” and “Live Free or Die Hard.” Disney’s got BD blockbusters coming in “Cars”, “Ratatouille” and “Pirates 3”.

Dallas Chief
08-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I've kinda been out of the loop on this whole format battle, but now am thinking about buying a HD disc player to take advantage of my system. This looks like VHS vs. Beta of old. I'm leaning towards HD DVD, simply becuase the players are half the price, so if it does lose the battle, I'm only out of $350 instead of $600 or so.

I've been looking for a recent article on the battle, but all I can find is stuff from last year, which is like a century ago as far as technology is concerned.

DT
PM me before you go off and buy something...