PDA

View Full Version : In defense of the defense

Idahojim
05-14-2001, 09:38 PM
Marty McDonald's post on the probable Carlton Gray release got me to thinking honestly about the Chiefs defense - and I'm feeling pretty good about it.

The line is solid with Hicks and Clemons on the ends and solid rotation in the middle. Contrary to what most people have said, I think Dan Williams will have a good year. I think he's taken a bum rap on the health issues (although I'll admit I'm a homer and an idiot if he's hurt this year) and the rest of the rotation should work well. I think the rookie Downing will surprise. The linebackers are solid, and there is depth - Atkins behind Bush, Maslowski behind Patton or visa versa, but heaven help us if Donny Edwards goes down. Our safeties are the best in the business. And our corners are no longer rookies. There is potential there with Dennis and Bartee. Crockett can give more than you think, and every coach from Marty to Vermeil has said Warfield has the athletic ability. If he shows it, then that's a strength, too. Most importantly, we have new defensive coaching, and Robinson will do fine. Just remember that the genius that sent him packing also signed Dale Carter and Chester.

The offense will score a ton of points. And I think this defense will keep us in the game better than most folks think.

If you think about it, if Carlton Gray goes, there isn't a real bum in the bunch. And Gray was a bum.

There's real, sane reason for hope.

keg in kc
05-14-2001, 09:50 PM
Pretty much sums up my own feelings on the matter, Jim.

I believe we'll sign Glenn Cadrez before long, as well, which will further solidify the LB corps with a player who is not only a veteran, but a veteran of the new system, and a player who can serve in a back-up role in any of the three positions. However, even without Cadrez, I feel that we have a much more solid group of LBs than we give ourselves credit for, and I have a feeling we will be pleasantly surprised with the play of the defense come September.

It looks to me like we're building up a core of hard-nosed and hard-working players who are only now beginning to tap their potential. Not every guy on the roster is a future pro-bowler, obviously, but I really think we have the makings of a very good team on both sides of the ball in the next couple of years.

TCB
05-14-2001, 10:09 PM
I have never thought it was fair to judge the defense on last years performance. I think kurt and willie were looking for perceived problems instead of just letting them play football. They had the LB's trying to do their job and cover for the younger less experienced DB's.

I also am hoping that Dan Williams will have an excellent year. Hopefully with Chester gone it will improve his attitude and he will go out and earn his salary.

Cormac
05-15-2001, 08:18 AM
I think we have a lot of good players on D, but not enough studs. Outside of Edwards (and maybe Hicks) there are no bona fide studs that I see. Wesley, Maz, Clemons, Woods etc. are good solid players, and one or two of them might develop into elite guys, but I believe we are still lacking a proper DT, OLB and at least one CB. While the new system alone will prevent the defensive catastrophes of last season (giving up 50 to Oakland), I think we are still going to struggle against the pass.

I have been saying all offseason that our LB corps is adequate. And that includes Bush IMO. There is no way he can be as bad as he showed last season. He was all at sea under Kurt's system, and he didn't play several seasons at SD being as bad as that. Not to mention the off-field problems he had also. I really admire Patton for his leadership and nose for the ball, but I'd love to see Maz earn the starting spot in the middle. Edwards should make the pro-bowl this season.

We can get away with our D-line as it is if we don't have significant injuries (like last season). Hicks and Clemons are too valuable given our lack of depth at the DE position. Beisel is presumably not ready to play every down, and Rich Owens doesn't excite me, although he's probably useful depth. At DT Browning is a good blue-collar player that I love to have on the team, but Williams better step up seriously and try to demand the double teams his contract suggests he should be getting.

Our biggest problem right now IMO is at CB. Unless Bartee and/or Dennis really challenge for the starting CB spots I am afraid they can't be that good. I am disgusted by the "Mighty Rat" Crockett signing (although I realise that's partly bias, cos I think he's a showboating schmuck). He's just a taller McMillian - he'll get 5 or 6 INTs and then get toasted several times too.

Our D will be vastly improved IMO, but won't crack the top 10 until we spend a 1st rounder on a DT, and acquire a shut-down corner.

Gaz
05-15-2001, 08:20 AM
There are tons of questions concerning our Defense.

Will Crockett be a starter? Is Warfield not "tough" enough mentally? Will Robinson let Bartee and Dennis play the bump coverage they were hired for? Can we stop the run? Will we move Maslowski to MLB where he belongs? Will Dan Williams earn his @#$%! salary this season?

I do not feel bad about our Defense, I simply do not have enough information to fell good about them.

xoxo~
Gaz
On pins and needles.

Clint in Wichita
05-15-2001, 08:26 AM
Williams came much closer to earning his money than McCrockton last season, even though he was injured most of the time.

I hope the starting LBs are Edwards and Atkins on the outside, and Maz in the middle. I've seen enough of old, slow, undersized Patton being abused.

At CB, the Crockett signing was horrible...a direct result of having Robinson as D.C. If he were to get 4 INTs, I'd be amazed. Bartee and Dennis should be thrown into the fire.

I think we're looking at another season of about .500 football.

alanm
05-15-2001, 08:40 AM
Why is it that everyone gets on Patton. He's a damn good MLB and who was it that was at the first mini camp said he looked very buff and was solid as a rock. Maz's time will come and I know Patton is getting up there in age but he's still a dependable LB.

Clint in Wichita
05-15-2001, 09:36 AM
Patton WAS a good LB, and I'm sure he'll be in great shape when he's 60.

IMO he's just too slow & not nearly athletic enough anymore.

htismaqe
05-15-2001, 09:41 AM
I'm still stuck on the CB situation.

I can't stand the idea of Warfield and Crockett as our starters.

Bartee and Dennis were drafted for this type of defense, throw them into the fire!

HC_Chief
05-15-2001, 09:48 AM
From what I saw at mini-camp, Bartee and Dennis are definitely our best covermen. (ESPECIALLY in bump & run)

Of course, that was just a mini-camp - in shells only, no less...

BTW: Patton looked awesome at the same mini-camp. Maslowski served him notice; I think that motivated him to work even <i>harder</i> (if that is possible)

aturnis
05-15-2001, 10:13 AM
HC has spoken...and in my experience he knows what he is talking about, his mini-camp report was awesome, so I'll just hafta believe him.

Cormac
05-15-2001, 10:34 AM
I'm hoping HC is on the mark again too! It doesn't say much for Bartee or Dennis if they get beaten out of the starting positions by Crockett and Warfield.

I agree that Patton has another good year left in him. He just knows how to play, and is one of those guys who finds himself in the right place at the right time. Nobody is quicker to a loose ball than he is. However, I do hope that Maz is good enough to oust him from the MLB spot. Purely cos that would mean Maz is that good! Having him on the field for his fire and passion would be invaluable. If Atkins can challenge Bush too, then all the better.