PDA

View Full Version : Damon Huard: The MVP

Short Leash Hootie
08-27-2007, 07:41 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/672724.html

By C.E. Wendler
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Posted Aug 27, 2007

Today, I was all prepared to rip apart the Chiefs for declaring veteran quarterback Damon Huard the starter over the weekend.

I couldnít believe the news when I heard it Saturday afternoon. Everything the Chiefs had done with Brodie Croyle this offseason led me to believe he would be taking the first snap of the season in Houston. Huard hadnít done anything to win the job. I was livid.

I was ready to call the Chiefs a bunch of scared, gutless cowards for going with the safe, 34-year-old, play-not-to-lose, nine-and-seven-season option.

But then it hit me. Thereís one incredibly good reason why Huard should be Kansas Cityís starter in 2007.

Heís the MVP.

No, I havenít gone off the deep end. Huardís not a real, 30-touchdown, Hawaii-bound, Saturday-night-live-appearing NFL MVP candidate. Heís not even a 1,700-yard, Rockawear-promoting, $19-million Team MVP candidate. But what he is, at least for the Chiefs in 2007, is the Most Valuable PiŮata.

Consider the state of Kansas Cityís offensive line. Thereís absolutely no blindside protection at the moment, and converted defensive end Will Svitek looks like a failed project. Who knows when Damion McIntosh will return to the lineup, and the degree to which heíll be effective Ė despite a good training camp Ė is questionable.

Center Casey Wiegmann looks primed for another season of being shoved eight yards into the backfield by large defensive tackles. Guard John Welbourn appears to be a huge dropoff from Will Shields, regardless of how much the future Hall of Famerís play declined last year.

And the right tackle situation? Yikes. The Chris Terry reclamation project looks like a complete waste of time, and who knows how long Kyle Turleyís back will hold up.

Whereís Jordan Black when you need him? Yes, Chiefs fans, the situation is that bad.

Surely KCís coaching staff and front office noticed all of this transpiring against the Saints last Thursday. One can only imagine they watched in horror as Brodie Croyle ran for his life from New Orleansí defensive linemen and linebackers, and came to the same conclusion I did once my rage subsided Sunday afternoon.

The Chiefs canít subject Croyle to this offensive line. It would be career suicide to throw him behind such awful protection. His knees, both of them already surgically repaired after ACL injuries, would be at incredible risk.

Throw in the fact that KCís wide receivers have put in a pedestrian show this preseason (Samie Parker, Iím looking at you), and thereís just no good reason to shove Croyle into the spotlight this year. Itíd be like asking someone other than Rambo to go into Afghanistan alone and find Osama Bin Laden. Croyle certainly isnít Rambo, but the Chiefsí current offensive line is his worst nightmare.

When head coach Herm Edwards explained why Croyle has been relegated to the bench Sunday afternoon, it reinforced my thinking.

ďNobody helped him,Ē said Edwards. ďNobody helped the guy. Nobody made a big play when they had an opportunity, so it kind of gets laid on the quarterback. The problem is that when you are in a situation like this, you need some stability. You donít need a guy thatís a young player who feels like he needs to make all of the big plays. Thatís not fair to a position player.Ē

Hermís right. Itís absolutely unfair to subject Croyle to this offensive line, especially when he hasnít experienced the likes of Shawne Merriman breathing down his neck. And not only will the Chiefs see Merriman twice this season, they also get Aaron Kampman (15.5 sacks in 2006), Mark Anderson (12), Derrick Burgess (11), and Dwight Freeney this year. Throw in Denverís promising rookie defensive end, Jarvis Moss, and thereíll be no shortage of heat on KC quarterbacks in 2007.

Anointing Damon Huard the sacrificial lamb makes sense. Throwing Croyle to the wolves now could end in catastrophe - a serious injury, or permanent scars to his mental game.

Thereís history here. Ryan Leaf, hailed as San Diegoís savior in 1998, struggled immensely behind a poor offensive line while throwing to prolific receivers such as Charlie Jones and Bryan Still. Rick Mirer took a beating with the Seahawks early in his career and never recovered. Most recently, David Carrís NFL future took a nosedive due to Houstonís expansion-level offensive line.

Let Huard get rocked this year. The Chiefs have no serious money invested in him, and his time is almost up anyway. Kansas City will have a mediocre-to-bad season, and might have a shot at a premier left tackle in next yearís draft. Maybe Michiganís Jake Long, or if things go better than expected, Clemsonís Barry Richardson.

The Chiefs can then move McIntosh to right tackle, and find a guard to complement Brian Waters in free agency. With the development of Dwayne Bowe Ė and possibly one of KCís other young receivers Ė Croyle will have a much stronger supporting cast around him in 2008. Edwards can then protect him in the same manner Marty Schottenheimer protected Philip Rivers last season.

In the meantime, let the Most Valuable PiŮata do his job this year. There might even be some delicious candy inside him Ė a playoff berth. Thatís more fun than seeing your quarterback of the future get ripped apart, anyway.

keg in kc
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
If they thought the line was that bad, we'd have seen a lot more Casey Printers I'd imagine. He can at least get his DE radar-locked ass out of the pocket, and as much as he fumbles, it's not that much more than Huard last year.

Thig Lyfe
08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
"Most Valuable PiŮata" is Whitlock-esque.

You may take that as a compliment or an insult.

Skip Towne
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Still pimpin' for GoChiefs I see. Do you suck dicks too?

Donger
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Say what you will about GoChiefs, he really is improving exponentially as a writer, IMO.

Donger
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Look out. Skip's horny.

Thig Lyfe
08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Uh oh, I think Clayton forgot to log out of his Hootie alias.

cdcox
08-27-2007, 08:26 PM

With the development of Dwayne Bowe Ė and possibly one of KCís other young receivers Ė Croyle will have a much stronger supporting cast around him in 2007.

2008?

tk13
08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
LMAO

Frazod
08-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Look out. Skip's horny.

And clearly obsessed. :spock:

KCJohnny
08-27-2007, 08:42 PM
You young bucks won't remember this, but us old-timer's sure do. There's plenty of precedent for career back up QBs piloting teams to championship games.

When regular Colts signal caller Johnny Unitas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas) was injured in the final exhibition game, Earl Morrall became the team's starter. Morrall proceeded to lead the Colts to a 13-1 record, then added two playoff victories en route to winning the NFL's Most Valuable Player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Most_Valuable_Player_Award) award, leading the Colts into Super Bowl III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_III). However, in one of sport's greatest upsets, the Colts lost 16-7 to the New York Jets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets), with a second-quarter interception of a pass by Morrall symbolizing the team's luck on the day. Wide receiver Jimmy Orr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Orr) was wide open near the end zone, but Morrall's throw elsewhere was picked off to blunt the Colts' momentum. Two years later, Morrall again replaced an injured Unitas in Super Bowl V (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_V), but the occasion proved to be much happier as the Colts won 16-13 over the Dallas Cowboys on a 32-yard field goal by Jim O'Brien at the end of regulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Morrall

And oh, BTW, the last time KC made it to the SB, a back up QB led them through most of the regular season.

greg63
08-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Damon Huard: The MVP

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

cdcox
08-27-2007, 08:57 PM
There's plenty of precedent for career back up QBs piloting teams to championship games.

I don't think the situations are all that simialr. Morrall was a boraderline starter. He started in '57, '59, '63 and '65 and was a probowler in '57, before the years you mentioned.

Livingston was terrible every year except '69. It was a one year deal where he played decently.

L.A. Chieffan
08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
We had one of the best lines in football.
Roaf and Shields retire and now we have THE WORST LINE IN FOOTBALL??

I dont get it. Did we have the best line in football or did we just have the two best guys and 3 other chumps?

Short Leash Hootie
08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Only ones that get hard...

cdcox
08-27-2007, 09:04 PM
We had one of the best lines in football.
Roaf and Shields retire and now we have THE WORST LINE IN FOOTBALL??

I dont get it. Did we have the best line in football or did we just have the two best guys and 3 other chumps?

OL is only as strong as its weakest link. You can usually cover one weakness and still have an adequate line. RT is suspect with Turley. LT is terrible with Svitek. If we can get MacIntosh back, and Turley stays healthy and WE HAVE NO OTHER INJURIES, we'll have an adequate line. If we have any injuies though it is going to get really, really ugly.

kcfanXIII
08-27-2007, 09:04 PM
i can see his point, this line is bad, but we need to know what croyle is really made of.

jAZ
08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Say what you will about GoChiefs, he really is improving exponentially as a writer, IMO.
If you consider taking the ideas of people on the board, rewriting them in his own words and then claiming them as ex post facto epiphanies... then yes.

Skip Towne
08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Look out. Skip's horny.
Yep, you would do.

Skip Towne
08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
If you consider taking the ideas of people on the board, rewriting them in his own words and then claiming them as ex post facto epiphanies... then yes.
He also steals from columns on other websites. I once suggested he do a "where are they now?" on ex-Chiefs. He promptly declined. It would require actual research.

L.A. Chieffan
08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
OL is only as strong as its weakest link. You can usually cover one weakness and still have an adequate line. RT is suspect with Turley. LT is terrible with Svitek. If we can get MacIntosh back, and Turley stays healthy and WE HAVE NO OTHER INJURIES, we'll have an adequate line. If we have any injuies though it is going to get really, really ugly.
I see your point about the left side especially with svitek but if it gets to be really a problem we could always stack that side with Dunn and the FB until Mcintosh gets back. Personally I think Turley will be fine.

It just seems reading this article and since the Saints game everybody has all the sudden freaked about the line.

Not much as changed since last year. In fact I think it's better since we got Mcintosh to replace Black and Turley looks A LOT better.

FAX
08-27-2007, 09:18 PM

Bless his heart. I'm kind of sad about this. I liked the Mr. Hootie persona as a distinct person. It was good to see someone taking up for Mr. GoChiefs once in a while.

FAX

cdcox
08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I see your point about the left side especially with svitek but if it gets to be really a problem we could always stack that side with Dunn and the FB until Mcintosh gets back. Personally I think Turley will be fine.

It just seems reading this article and since the Saints game everybody has all the sudden freaked about the line.

Not much as changed since last year.

We faced the same situation with Black on the left side last year. Every time you keep a blocker in to help with the left side you pull a target out of the pattern. I don't think we ever got to the point last year of protecting the left side while still going down field. As a result our offese became stale and predictable and the Colts completely shut it down by loading the box and jamming short passing routes.

It's like a cancer to your offense, you just can't plug all the problems at once.

FAX
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Honestly, the only real answer when you're going to battle with a terrible offensive line is a mobile quarterback. You have to move the pocket, scramble, and bootleg.

Downfield may be the awesomest of all times at the high pass, but he's no dog killer.

FAX

Short Leash Hootie
08-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Bless his heart. I'm kind of sad about this. I liked the Mr. Hootie persona as a distinct person. It was good to see someone taking up for Mr. GoChiefs once in a while.

FAX
I'm sitting in for Clayton while he closes in on 50,000...

Skip Towne
08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Honestly, the only real answer when you're going to battle with a terrible offensive line is a mobile quarterback. You have to move the pocket, scramble, and bootleg.

Downfield may be the awesomest of all times at the high pass, but he's no dog killer.

FAX
We do have a poor man's dog killer......Casey Printers. He is most suited of all of our QB's to deal with a porous Oline.

Ari Chi3fs
08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Most Valuable PiŮata.

That shit is funny. Great article, shitbag.

FAX
08-27-2007, 09:44 PM
We do have a poor man's dog killer......Casey Printers. He is most suited of all of our QB's to deal with a porous Oline.

If things go south, Hermoine might just call his number, Mr. Skip Towne.

I guess it all depends on how much ass-bruising Downfield can tolerate.

FAX

TinyEvel
08-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Edgy.

Donger
08-27-2007, 09:53 PM

Who claimed here that Huard would be a pinata?

Donger
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Yep, you would do.

Please keep your fantasies to yourself, okay?

Frazod
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Are Hootie and GoChiefs really the same person? :spock:

Redcoats58
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Are Hootie and GoChiefs really the same person? :spock:
I was thinking the same thing.

greg63
08-27-2007, 10:25 PM

LMAO

MadMax
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM

By C.E. Wendler
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Posted Aug 27, 2007

Today, I was all prepared to rip apart the Chiefs for declaring veteran quarterback Damon Huard the starter over the weekend.

I couldnít believe the news when I heard it Saturday afternoon. Everything the Chiefs had done with Brodie Croyle this offseason led me to believe he would be taking the first snap of the season in Houston. Huard hadnít done anything to win the job. I was livid.

I was ready to call the Chiefs a bunch of scared, gutless cowards for going with the safe, 34-year-old, play-not-to-lose, nine-and-seven-season option.

But then it hit me. Thereís one incredibly good reason why Huard should be Kansas Cityís starter in 2007.

Heís the MVP.

No, I havenít gone off the deep end. Huardís not a real, 30-touchdown, Hawaii-bound, Saturday-night-live-appearing NFL MVP candidate. Heís not even a 1,700-yard, Rockawear-promoting, $19-million Team MVP candidate. But what he is, at least for the Chiefs in 2007, is the Most Valuable PiŮata.

Consider the state of Kansas Cityís offensive line. Thereís absolutely no blindside protection at the moment, and converted defensive end Will Svitek looks like a failed project. Who knows when Damion McIntosh will return to the lineup, and the degree to which heíll be effective Ė despite a good training camp Ė is questionable.

Center Casey Wiegmann looks primed for another season of being shoved eight yards into the backfield by large defensive tackles. Guard John Welbourn appears to be a huge dropoff from Will Shields, regardless of how much the future Hall of Famerís play declined last year.

And the right tackle situation? Yikes. The Chris Terry reclamation project looks like a complete waste of time, and who knows how long Kyle Turleyís back will hold up.

Whereís Jordan Black when you need him? Yes, Chiefs fans, the situation is that bad.

Surely KCís coaching staff and front office noticed all of this transpiring against the Saints last Thursday. One can only imagine they watched in horror as Brodie Croyle ran for his life from New Orleansí defensive linemen and linebackers, and came to the same conclusion I did once my rage subsided Sunday afternoon.

The Chiefs canít subject Croyle to this offensive line. It would be career suicide to throw him behind such awful protection. His knees, both of them already surgically repaired after ACL injuries, would be at incredible risk.

Throw in the fact that KCís wide receivers have put in a pedestrian show this preseason (Samie Parker, Iím looking at you), and thereís just no good reason to shove Croyle into the spotlight this year. Itíd be like asking someone other than Rambo to go into Afghanistan alone and find Osama Bin Laden. Croyle certainly isnít Rambo, but the Chiefsí current offensive line is his worst nightmare.

When head coach Herm Edwards explained why Croyle has been relegated to the bench Sunday afternoon, it reinforced my thinking.

ďNobody helped him,Ē said Edwards. ďNobody helped the guy. Nobody made a big play when they had an opportunity, so it kind of gets laid on the quarterback. The problem is that when you are in a situation like this, you need some stability. You donít need a guy thatís a young player who feels like he needs to make all of the big plays. Thatís not fair to a position player.Ē

Hermís right. Itís absolutely unfair to subject Croyle to this offensive line, especially when he hasnít experienced the likes of Shawne Merriman breathing down his neck. And not only will the Chiefs see Merriman twice this season, they also get Aaron Kampman (15.5 sacks in 2006), Mark Anderson (12), Derrick Burgess (11), and Dwight Freeney this year. Throw in Denverís promising rookie defensive end, Jarvis Moss, and thereíll be no shortage of heat on KC quarterbacks in 2007.

Anointing Damon Huard the sacrificial lamb makes sense. Throwing Croyle to the wolves now could end in catastrophe - a serious injury, or permanent scars to his mental game.

Thereís history here. Ryan Leaf, hailed as San Diegoís savior in 1998, struggled immensely behind a poor offensive line while throwing to prolific receivers such as Charlie Jones and Bryan Still. Rick Mirer took a beating with the Seahawks early in his career and never recovered. Most recently, David Carrís NFL future took a nosedive due to Houstonís expansion-level offensive line.

Let Huard get rocked this year. The Chiefs have no serious money invested in him, and his time is almost up anyway. Kansas City will have a mediocre-to-bad season, and might have a shot at a premier left tackle in next yearís draft. Maybe Michiganís Jake Long, or if things go better than expected, Clemsonís Barry Richardson.

The Chiefs can then move McIntosh to right tackle, and find a guard to complement Brian Waters in free agency. With the development of Dwayne Bowe Ė and possibly one of KCís other young receivers Ė Croyle will have a much stronger supporting cast around him in 2008. Edwards can then protect him in the same manner Marty Schottenheimer protected Philip Rivers last season.

In the meantime, let the Most Valuable PiŮata do his job this year. There might even be some delicious candy inside him Ė a playoff berth. Thatís more fun than seeing your quarterback of the future get ripped apart, anyway.

PLEASE! that's disgusting and wrong.

boogblaster
08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Im ashamed I read the whole thread .....