PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been part of a protest/demonstration rally?

RJ
08-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Watching the news on Vick and the people outside the courthouse making their feelings known, I had to wonder where they find the time. And where do they get the supplies for making the signs and t-shirts? Can you get kits at Hobby Lobby? What sort of wood is good for the stick on one of those signs? I would want to make sure it had a nice finish on it, I'd have to get a splinter in the middle of a demonstration.

My main issue is the time required. Truthfully, time management is one of my weak areas. I've been saying I'd get the garage cleaned out since Memorial Day and I'm still only half done. I can just hear my wife if I told her I was going to an anti-war rally....."Oh great, you have a spare day to go out and protest but you still haven't hung the shelves in your daughter's bedroom! And how much did you spend on those sanded and varnished stakes and the poster board? I sure hope you're not using a vacation day for this!!!"

So I'm just curious. Anyone here ever been involved in a protest rally or similar demonstration?

BigVE
08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Isn't that what this board is for? I thought we were all here to protest Carl Peterson.

Buehler445
08-27-2007, 08:01 PM
I tried real hard to "accidently" run over Fred Phelps' crew once. Does that count?

Frazod
08-27-2007, 08:01 PM
I had a broncos sign with a red circle/slash over it and booed like mad at Arrowhead when they inducted Bronco Neil into our Ring of Fame last year. Does that count?

KCChiefsMan
08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
If I ever did it would probably look something like this:

noa
08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
This is my favorite protester of all time. This was taken at an anti-war rally in San Francisco during the Israel-Lebanon war last summer.

http://www.bauerandrose.com/freephotos?action=viewPhotoSet&photoSetID=8

Rain Man
08-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Isn't that what this board is for? I thought we were all here to protest Carl Peterson.

I would participate in that protest. Heck, for that matter, I would participate in a protest to fire Matt Millen. That's a humanitarian thing, because people in Detroit are Americans, too.

RJ
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Heh, those are funny. One of my favorites was a guy at the Augusta/Martha Burke rally at the Masters. He had a sign that on one side said "Iron my Shirt" and the other said "Make My Dinner". I assumed he was tongue in cheek, but maybe not.

RJ
08-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I would participate in that protest. Heck, for that matter, I would participate in a protest to fire Matt Millen. That's a humanitarian thing, because people in Detroit are Americans, too.

Geographically, isn't Detroit closer to Canada than the US?

noa
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I went to the big anti-war rally in Chicago before the invasion of Iraq. I made a poster out of that famous picture of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand. My friend brought a sign that said "Let's keep our Bush under control." Probably took us 10 minutes to pull that off. I don't think I will be going to any more anti-war rallies, though, because there's too much anger and hatred for a group of people who are supposed to be promoting peace and resolution of conflict.

I did go to the big rally in DC about Darfur last year. That was a good one because they had great speakers and the crowd was thoughtful and mature.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
The people who do this crap are either special interest wackos or losers with no lives. It's unfortunate they get so much media attention.

L.A. Chieffan
08-27-2007, 08:50 PM
My hero.

OctoberFart
08-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Were there any white people supporting Vick on the supporter's side?

el borracho
08-27-2007, 08:57 PM
I passed out some conservation literature once. Realized pretty quickly that public protest is an ineffective way to reach people- you just end up looking nuts. It doesn't matter what the message is- if your methods are poor no one will listen.

Frazod
08-27-2007, 09:06 PM
I passed out some conservation literature once. Realized pretty quickly that public protest is an ineffective way to reach people- you just end up looking nuts. It doesn't matter what the message is- if your methods are poor no one will listen.
My office is across the street from both the State of Illinois Center and the Daley Center in downtown Chicago. Both buildings have large plazas, so I'm basically in the middle of Chicago protest central. And even on the days I don't have to deal with those various jerkoffs, there are always people from some f#cking organization wanting to poll me about some damn thing. And of course, there are the bums and the psychos, including one guy who stands every morning on the corner of Washington and Clark, with a sign that says "FBI SPECIAL AGENT CHRIS SAVIANO, STOP RAPING MY WIFE!" and "MAYOR DALEY THE DICTATOR!" No shit - that guy's been doing this for about a year, regardless of the weather. Always wears a suit, and the sign almost looks professional. I'm not sure how Daley gets lumped in with the FBI guy or the oft-raped wife, but this dude never stops. I'd love to hear his story, but it's a general rule that you don't make eye contact with the crazy people.

All in all, though, the whole thing is very annoying. When I'm leaving my office, it means I'm going home, and I don't want to be bothered. So unless you're a fireman with a boot out, f#ck off.

el borracho
08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
All in all, though, the whole thing is very annoying. When I'm leaving my office, it means I'm going home, and I don't want to be bothered. So unless you're a fireman with a boot out, f#ck off.
Best way to avoid the hassle is to pretend you do not speak English. As soon as I am approached I simply say (in Spanish) that I do not speak English. Only once out of the countless times I have been approached has this not worked (the window-washer also spoke Spanish). Seriously, just learn that one simple sentence in a foreign language and you'll be golden.

Frazod
08-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Best way to avoid the hassle is to pretend you do not speak English. As soon as I am approached I simply say (in Spanish) that I do not speak English. Only once out of the countless times I have been approached has this not worked (the window-washer also spoke Spanish). Seriously, just learn that one simple sentence in a foreign language and you'll be golden.

Dirty looks and the occasional "F#CK OFF" work just fine for me. :)

PunkinDrublic
08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I might go if there's a protest at the grand opening of the George W presidential library at SMU.

el borracho
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Heh. I bet that is like drinking a cup of coffee for you- just a quick rush before getting to work in the morning. ROFL

Rain Man
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Geographically, isn't Detroit closer to Canada than the US?

You're right. Not many people know that.

JBucc
08-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't much care for public protests. I prefer to protest in the comfort of my own home. Usually I protest the Chiefs' play by screaming various profanities and throwing remotes. If I really want to make a point I've been known to change the channel. For a minute or two.

Coach
08-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Would be nice to have a protest/demonstration rally at 1 Arrowhead Drive for Carl's resignation.

RJ
08-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't much care for public protests. I prefer to protest in the comfort of my own home. Usually I protest the Chiefs' play by screaming various profanities and throwing remotes. If I really want to make a point I've been known to change the channel. For a minute or two.

I like the idea of protesting from home. That's like one of those gadgets that lets you exercise while watching TV. Perhaps tomorrow night I'll march around the dinner table. I'll need to decide what I'm pissed off about but I'm sure there's something. Maybe that new Wal-Mart.

Hope the wife and kid don't tear gas me, they both have short fuses. O-Hi-O.

Fight the Power!

RJ
08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
You're right. Not many people know that.

Well, I can't take all the credit. I have a map.

Ugly Duck
08-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Vetnam

greg63
08-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes; for disability rights.

chagrin
08-28-2007, 05:06 AM
If you ask this in the DC forum, you'll hear crickets.

StcChief
08-28-2007, 05:28 AM
My hero.
ROFL Rep.

KC Jones
08-28-2007, 06:29 AM
My office is across the street from both the State of Illinois Center and the Daley Center in downtown Chicago. Both buildings have large plazas, so I'm basically in the middle of Chicago protest central. And even on the days I don't have to deal with those various jerkoffs, there are always people from some f#cking organization wanting to poll me about some damn thing. And of course, there are the bums and the psychos, including one guy who stands every morning on the corner of Washington and Clark, with a sign that says "FBI SPECIAL AGENT CHRIS SAVIANO, STOP RAPING MY WIFE!" and "MAYOR DALEY THE DICTATOR!" No shit - that guy's been doing this for about a year, regardless of the weather. Always wears a suit, and the sign almost looks professional. I'm not sure how Daley gets lumped in with the FBI guy or the oft-raped wife, but this dude never stops. I'd love to hear his story, but it's a general rule that you don't make eye contact with the crazy people.

You have some very well dressed crazy people in Chicago:

http://www.chicagoist.com/attachments/Rachelle%20Bowden/2006_05_chaseism_fbi_stop_r.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/144153101_e1bcffc8c2.jpg?v=0

Radar Chief
08-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Havenít you ever protested anything?
Sure, every time I get thrown out of the pub.

seclark
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
i have taken part in several.
sec

Frazod
08-28-2007, 08:06 AM
You have some very well dressed crazy people in Chicago:

http://www.chicagoist.com/attachments/Rachelle%20Bowden/2006_05_chaseism_fbi_stop_r.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/144153101_e1bcffc8c2.jpg?v=0

That's the guy! ROFL Just saw him a few minutes ago. He's now switched to Clark and Randolph.

And he has a better sign.

melbar
08-28-2007, 09:59 AM
My hero.
ROFL ROFL :clap: I dont care who you are, thats funny right there!

Seriously, I prefer not to take part in monumental wastes of time that make me look like a lunatic. I'd rather try to do something more productive about an issue I care about than trying to make it all about me.