PDA

View Full Version : Rand to Trent/media/fans: Told you so!

shaneo69
08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
I like how he and Weir are now both using the term "savvy fans" to describe those that dare not question the organization...

RAND: Herm played "fair," after all
Aug 28, 2007, 2:57:43 AM by Jonathan Rand

When Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said that Damon Huard would be his opening-day starter at quarterback, he also could have said, “I told you so.”

Remember in the spring when Trent Green griped that he wanted to be traded to Miami ASAP because the quarterback competition was “weighted”? Well, here we are and Brodie Croyle, for whom the competition was supposedly weighted, hasn’t won the job.

When Edwards insisted the quarterback contest would be “fair,” he was greeted with the kind of cynicism usually reserved for politicians. Though coaches may speak with forked tongues some of the time, Edwards’ statement has stood the test of time.

All competition on a football team is weighted in the respect that a coaching staff has evaluations and expectations based on past performances and off-season development.

A draft choice is expected to outperform an undrafted rookie. Pro Bowler Larry Johnson is expected to outperform any other running back who comes to camp. Any time a team issues a depth chart, the competition is by definition weighted.

That doesn’t mean a depth chart can’t change. But some players have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to competing for a starting job. For six straight years, starting in 2001, the quarterback competition was weighted in Green’s favor – initially because the Chiefs gave up a first-round draft choice for him and subsequently because he became a Pro Bowl player.

When Green’s play declined last season, he lost the benefit of the doubt. Any coach in his right mind would have gone into training camp wanting to take a good look at Croyle, perhaps the quarterback of the future. Edwards didn’t need a long look at Huard, a 10-year veteran who while filling in for Green became the NFL’s second highest-ranked passer a year ago.

Yes, the quarterback job appeared Croyle’s to lose, and he managed to lose it because of inaccuracy and three ugly interceptions. Huard won the job while standing on the sideline, nursing a sore calf. But the bottom line is that Edwards ultimately picked the quarterback who gives his team the best chance to win a week from Sunday in Houston.

Coaches, certainly, can make mistakes with quarterbacks – we all remember Marty Schottenheimer’s decision to play Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon. And if neither Croyle nor Huard is able to step up this year, any quarterback decision by Edwards will appear a mistake.

Huard’s accomplished more in the NFL than Croyle and as a starter last year led the Chiefs to a 5-3 record. He threw 11 touchdown passes with just one interception last year and, barring a brilliant summer by Croyle, deserved the chance to see if he could build on that success now. Another point in Huard’s favor, unfortunately for the Chiefs, is his ability to maintain poise and health in the face of shaky protection. Unless the offensive line improves dramatically from recent performances, any Chiefs quarterback will spend a lot of time on his back.

Huard will eat the ball or throw it away rather than risk an interception. Though he’s never been asked to start for a complete season, he’s been durable when given a chance.

Even Huard has acknowledged that any coach would rather go with a young quarterback than a 34-year-old, all other things being equal. But Croyle’s poor performance against the Saints made it clear that, as of right now, Huard is the more dependable quarterback.

As much as Edwards might have loved to see Croyle play brilliantly this summer, a head coach would have to be foolish or arrogant to ignore what he sees. And after two offensive touchdowns in three games, it’s safe to say most savvy fans saw the same things as their head coach saw.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/08/28/rand_herm_played_fair_after_all/

L.A. Chieffan
08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought it was "weighted" in Huard's favor.
Told you so.

FAX
08-28-2007, 11:01 AM
The deluge of righteousness begins.

Praise the Lord and pass the galoshes.

FAX

bobbything
08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Meh. To be honest, if I were the starting QB on a team that had had a stellar offense for 5 years, I'd probably want to leave too with the direction it's currently headed.

htismaqe
08-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Love that 5-3 record.

shaneo69
08-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Rand: "Coaches, certainly, can make mistakes with quarterbacks – we all remember Marty Schottenheimer’s decision to play Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon."

And Carl's decision to re-sign Grbac over Gannon.

greg63
08-28-2007, 11:12 AM
It doesn't matter what QB we start they're going to get killed behind our swiss cheese o-line.

Skip Towne
08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
The deluge of righteousness begins.

Praise the Lord and pass the galoshes.

FAX
I want hip boots.

shaneo69
08-28-2007, 11:14 AM
It doesn't matter what QB we start they're going to get killed behind our swiss cheese o-line.

Maybe when Huard gets hurt, we can bring in Jonathan Quinn to be our new stop-gap starting QB.

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Rand: "Coaches, certainly, can make mistakes with quarterbacks – we all remember Marty Schottenheimer’s decision to play Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon."

And Carl's decision to re-sign Grbac over Gannon.

Carl didn't "re-sign" Grbac. Gannon's contract was up and instead of re-signing Gannon, he let him go.

greg63
08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe when Huard gets hurt, we can bring in Jonathan Quinn to be our new stop-gap starting QB.

Heh! LMAO

greg63
08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I want hip boots.

ROFL

bobbything
08-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Carl didn't "re-sign" Grbac. Gannon's contract was up and instead of re-signing Gannon, he let him go.
Still, a stellar decision nearly a decade later.

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Still, a stellar decision nearly a decade later.

Yep. Carl's teh bestest!

shaneo69
08-28-2007, 11:25 AM

You're right---my bad.

Still a poor organizational choice, of which Rand tries to lay full blame on Schotty. I'm sure there was no organizational pressure to play Grbac over Gannon, since Grbac had been signed to the big contract while Gannon was a free agent retread. Talk about "weighted" QB competition.

Chiefnj2
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
If the starting QB position was up for grabs in a "fair" competition, why isn't Printers the starter? His QB rating is double that of Croyle and Huard and I don't think he threw an INT.

shaneo69
08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
If the starting QB position was up for grabs in a "fair" competition, why isn't Printers the starter? His QB rating is double that of Croyle and Huard and I don't think he threw an INT.

That's probably the perfect response to this article.

the Talking Can
08-28-2007, 11:45 AM
"Huard’s accomplished more in the NFL than Croyle..."

such a profound insight...

Croyle has never been allowed to start a single NFL game...I guess once Croyle has spent as much time on the bench as Huard (10 years) then he will be "accomplished" enough to play...

"win now"

StcChief
08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
"Huard’s accomplished more in the NFL than Croyle..."

such a profound insight...

Croyle has never been allowed to start a single NFL game...I guess once Croyle has spent as much time on the bench as Huard (10 years) then he will be "accomplished" enough to play...

"win now"

NFL is a win now. Develop you talent however you want. on/off the regular season.

Suffer with boo birds in the stands if your developing QB on the field.

bobbything
08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Exactly. Why no love for starting Printers? He's provided 99% of the offense in the preseason. And he's obviously the most improved player on the team.

Now, this is tongue in cheek, but you could write a perfect counter-argument to this using Printers as the focus for a rebuttal.

Sure-Oz
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Exactly. Why no love for starting Printers? He's provided 99% of the offense in the preseason. And he's obviously the most improved player on the team.

Now, this is tongue in cheek, but you could write a perfect counter-argument to this using Printers as the focus for a rebuttal.
I like his mobility and see what he can do with the starting cast, but he is too fumble prone.

Mr. Laz
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
since when has the KC media ever passed up a chance to tell the fans "i told you so" in any fashion possible?

they are pretty much assholes

Raiderhader
08-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Love that 5-3 record.

And only one interception.

LOCOChief
08-28-2007, 12:05 PM

No int's but he did fumble every third or fourth snap.

Chiefnj2
08-28-2007, 12:06 PM
No int's but he did fumble every third or fourth snap.
So, he's kind of like Huard in the regular season?

pikesome
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
since when has the KC media ever passed up a chance to tell the fans "i told you so" in any fashion possible?

they are pretty much assholes

I was kind of surprised when we moved up here at the local media, it's either "The Chiefs crapped in my cornflakes" Jack Harry or the various "Carl is the greatest GM evah!!!" writers on KCChiefs.com. There doesn't seen to be much in the middle or a well reasoned, logical counterpoint from anyone.

Raiderhader
08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
So, he's kind of like Huard in the regular season?

Bingo.

shaneo69
08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I was kind of surprised when we moved up here at the local media, it's either "The Chiefs crapped in my cornflakes" Jack Harry or the various "Carl is the greatest GM evah!!!" writers on KCChiefs.com. There doesn't seen to be much in the middle or a well reasoned, logical counterpoint from anyone.

Two words:

C.E. Wendler

Mr. Laz
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
true

pikesome
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Two words:

C.E. Wendler

I know this is crazy but when he's written something good it's as good as any of the "real" sportswriters/commentators. He just suffers from an association with Athan and a bit too much of logic-killing homerism.

patteeu
08-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I think the Huard choice is the right one, but I can't agree with the premise of this article. That Croyle didn't win the competition doesn't indicate to us that Trent was wrong when he said the competition was heavily weighted in Croyle's favor. It just indicates that whether it was weighted or not, Croyle failed to do enough to get the nod.

I hope Croyle rips St. Louis for 200yds, 3 TDs and no interceptions and gives Huard reason to be insecure in his job on opening day.

NewChief
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
IMO, Trent saying that he felt that the QB competition was weighted against him was just a nice way of not saying, "I hate this offense, and I want out."

Reerun_KC
08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
IMO, Trent saying that he felt that the QB competition was weighted against him was just a nice way of not saying, "I hate this offense, and I want out."

Very true and one cant blame him..

Also, when has Huard won anything meaningful in the NFL???

I have never seen Huard in the last 10 years leading his teams through the playoffs...

Has anyone else?

MahiMike
08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Meh. To be honest, if I were the starting QB on a team that had had a stellar offense for 5 years, I'd probably want to leave too with the direction it's currently headed.

:clap:

KC Tattoo
08-28-2007, 08:33 PM
To make this fair, I would have liked to see what Huard would have done against the Saints with our O-line. He might not have thown a int., but I highly doupt he would have thrown a TD either. He sure would have fumbled. I doubt any QB in the NFL (even Peyton Manning) would have done much better than Croyle did with Svishitte at LT. :hmmm:

To make this fair they should have waited till after the lambs game to name the starter and see if Croyle can learn from his mistakes. They had all of last year to evaluate Huard but only about 10 total quarters of football for Croyle. I know practice too, but wasn't he kicking ass in River Falls?

This thursday, I hope Croyle makes Herm Edwards look like a fool for prematurely naming Huard as the starter.

Logical
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I read that article, now I am going to go puke.

jidar
08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I thought it was "weighted" in Huard's favor.
Told you so.

not sure how anyone could have drawn that conclusion

TEX
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
To make this fair, I would have liked to see what Huard would have done against the Saints with our O-line. He might not have thown a int., but I highly doupt he would have thrown a TD either. He sure would have fumbled. I doubt any QB in the NFL (even Peyton Manning) would have done much better than Croyle did with Svishitte at LT. :hmmm:

To make this fair they should have waited till after the lambs game to name the starter and see if Croyle can learn from his mistakes. They had all of last year to evaluate Huard but only about 10 total quarters of football for Croyle. I know practice too, but wasn't he kicking ass in River Falls?

This thursday, I hope Croyle makes Herm Edwards look like a fool for prematurely naming Huard as the starter.

Man, what are you looking at? Croyle is not ready and it's obvious.

GoHuge
08-28-2007, 09:12 PM
IMO, Trent saying that he felt that the QB competition was weighted against him was just a nice way of not saying, "I hate this offense, and I want out."Or "this whole deal is a cluster f**k in the making, I'll make my $7,000,000 where it's warm."

Reerun_KC
08-28-2007, 09:16 PM

Probably the 34 year old never was that no other team would touch for a starter that is magically going to lead the Chiefs to the promise land...

Huard isnt ready, it was obvious last year in Pitt and Miami...

Oh but he did beat a Chargers team... All Hail Hall of Fame Huard....

tommykat
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM

I like Huard, but he will get killed as Trent would have....Croyle is young and can take the hits a tad better....Just IMO

KC Tattoo
08-28-2007, 11:18 PM

It was obvious to me that Svitek could not block Will Smith and the results were not good. It was obvious that some of our WRs can not catch the ball aka Sammie Parker. It was obvious to me that Croyle to Bowe is going to be a killer combo in this league, just think they should have this year to develop that relationship. It is obvious to me that King Carl does not like me, and does not want to rebuild this team into a SB winning franchise, just wants mediocre or hey, we got this old QB that has played for other teams. Steve Deburg, Joe Montana, Dave Kreig, Steve Bono, Rich Gannon, Elvi Grrrbac, Trent Green, none have got us a SB. History repetes itself, Damon Huard.

el borracho
08-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Who was better- Huard or one of the Detmers?

Silock
08-29-2007, 12:25 AM

Not really. He has severe fumbling problems on the QB/center exchange.

el borracho
08-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Printers played against guys who won't even be in the NFL in two weeks. You can't fairly compare his stats against Huard and Croyle's.

Silock
08-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Printers played against guys who won't even be in the NFL in two weeks. You can't fairly compare his stats against Huard and Croyle's.

I'd like to see him play with the 1st stringers, though.