PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty on a used car?

sedated
08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Do you get one?

Or save the cash?

Let's say...3-5 years old, 30-50 thousand miles.

Iowanian
08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
You should just get drunk and crash it when the transmission starts slipping....

Phobia
08-28-2007, 03:02 PM
There's a reason Extended Warranty companies are a multi-billion dollar industry and it isn't because they're a great deal for the consumer.

luv
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
How much of the old warranty is left? How much is the extended?

Iowanian
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Roll some dope with that money and burn it....it'll have about as much intelligence in its use.

Sure-Oz
08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Pointless, let the warranty run out and deal with it.

JazzzLovr
08-28-2007, 03:12 PM
There's a reason Extended Warranty companies are a multi-billion dollar industry and it isn't because they're a great deal for the consumer.

I have to agree. When I was in college, I got a used car and my parents added an extended warranty from a company recommended by their bank. I guess the thinking was that since I was away from home, if anything went wrong with the car, it would be easier to take care of.

Well, something did go wrong with the car, but when we called the extended warranty company, they had all kinds of loopholes and fine print about how this particular problem wasn't covered.

Never again. Complete waste of money.

ferrarispider95
08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Your wasting your money, your better off researching the particular model that you want to buy and making sure it has been an overall reliable vehicle.

Sure-Oz
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I got like 5 extended warranty offers in the mail saying my cars warranty would be up shortly, shred bin!

chagrin
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Sedated - I think all this means, don't do it - but I could be wrong.

Rain Man
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I got extended warranties on both my cars. I normally wouldn't have done it, but at the time the company was young and I didn't really want to take any big unexpected financial hits.

One of the cars has never needed any work at all, and the other one went in for a routine checkup and once the mechanic found out about the warranty he claimed that it needed about $3,000 worth of work. The warranty made him a lot of money, and I have a feeling that if I didn't have the warranty the car wouldn't have needed work.

StcChief
08-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I got extended warranties on both my cars. I normally wouldn't have done it, but at the time the company was young and I didn't really want to take any big unexpected financial hits.

One of the cars has never needed any work at all, and the other one went in for a routine checkup and once the mechanic found out about the warranty he claimed that it needed about $3,000 worth of work. The warranty made him a lot of money, and I have a feeling that if I didn't have the warranty the car wouldn't have needed work.
yeah. It's a scam. Let a woman take the car in, if it's got the warantee they WILL find things to replace.

Baconeater
08-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Scam.

macdawg
08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
save the cash, warranties are for the most part a waste of money, have the car checked out, if your not confident in the car don't buy it.

Warranties are a waste......

memyselfI
08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
I purchased an extended warranty on my used 2003 Ford minivan because Ford is crap...

best extra $20 a month I've spent. The air conditioning has been completely replaced, a problem with the exhaust system has been repaired, an electrical issue has been worked on and still not fixed but will be.

As soon as the extended warranty is close to expiring that sucker is going to be traded in. We owe much less than it's worth so for us the extended warranty was a life saver.

The ONLY warranty I would consider buying is one issued and backed by the manufacturer otherwise you are likely wasting money.

Baconeater
08-28-2007, 04:25 PM
save the cash, warranties are for the most part a waste of money, have the car checked out, if your not confident in the car don't buy it.

Warranties are a waste......
Exactly. Tell the slimy F&I guy the only way you want the EW is if he convinces you the car is going to break down, and in that case you don't want the car.

I purchased an extended warranty on my used 2003 Ford minivan because Ford is crap...
WTF?? If you knew it was crap why in the hell did you buy it?

memyselfI
08-28-2007, 04:29 PM
We bought it because it was rated pretty well in the reviews I read. It had really low miles and was in our price range. We knew we were gambling and that is why we purchased the extended warranty. I wanted to spend more and get an older model Japanese made but my DH wanted to get a newer American made that cost less...

needless to say I have floated a few 'I told you so' remarks his way in the past couple of years. He's very happy I talked him into the EW.

sedated
08-28-2007, 04:32 PM
You should just get drunk and crash it when the transmission starts slipping....

you must be mistaken, I don't do that anymore.

as for the actual topic at hand, the only reason I'm considering it is because the dealership is some peice of shit, gravel road, scam-job, so-called dealer.

but I seem to be getting a pretty decent deal, and Carfax checked out okay.

crazycoffey
08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I'd like to know the process in getting a used car to be a "certified used" car....

No to the warranty, the only person that's saying they didn't regret getting one is memememe, thread closed.

Frosty
08-28-2007, 04:45 PM
WTF?? If you knew it was crap why in the hell did you buy it?

Not only buy it but pay extra for it in the form of an extended warranty? :rolleyes:

For lots of good extended warranty horror stories, check out the "Smart Shopper" forums on edmunds.com.

Stewie
08-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Why would you buy a car from a place like that?

Extra Point
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
For as much money you'd spend, buy some good tools and a factory service manual. Then buy a bong. Get the work done the former, celebrate with the latter. But don't use them simultaneously. Underhood work isn't supposed to be a mental marathon.

eazyb81
08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I bought one for a one year old Olds Alero through GMAC, and they fixed every problem I mentioned.

That said, avoid the fly-by-night insurance companies that are pitching extended warranties. We have some friends that actually started a company that sells extended warranties, but they run a very shady business and have explicitly told me they won't sell us one.

By the way, they're rolling in cash right now, so take that for what it's worth.

Iowanian
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
you must be mistaken, I don't do that anymore.

as for the actual topic at hand, the only reason I'm considering it is because the dealership is some peice of shit, gravel road, scam-job, so-called dealer.

but I seem to be getting a pretty decent deal, and Carfax checked out okay.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY FOOL.

I'm more convinced by this thread and post made a week or so after a Drunk Mexican supposedly hit your car and you weren't drunk driving any longer. " People change".

But here is the thread a week later
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=168566

gotta drive my boy to the airport in about 2 hours, but these whiskey cokes taste too good to stop.

So....
You're either a dumbufck or a lying dumbF@ck, quicksedated.

Simply Red
08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

best extra $20 a month I've spent. The air conditioning has been completely replaced, a problem with the exhaust system has been repaired, an electrical issue has been worked on and still not fixed but will be.

As soon as the extended warranty is close to expiring that sucker is going to be traded in. We owe much less than it's worth so for us the extended warranty was a life saver.

The ONLY warranty I would consider buying is one issued and backed by the manufacturer otherwise you are likely wasting money.
There are cases where they make sense regardless of anybody's opinion.

Simply Red
08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Provided there is less then 7k mis. left on the manufacturer's warranty and one plans on driving the car for over five years. I think the extra 30 bucks or so per month may be justified.

Simply Red
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
But never on electronics/appliances. You'll never recoop your $. IMO

tmax63
08-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I've found that if it's a lemon you'll know it by the time the original warranty is up. Extended warranties have lots of loopholes as already mentioned such as documented servicing by a "approved" shop, read dealer, including everything the book reccommends and so on. I've found that to pay to keep everything "according to book" to be able to use that EW cost more than the EW ever covered. IMHO

Simply Red
08-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I've found that if it's a lemon you'll know it by the time the original warranty is up. Extended warranties have lots of loopholes as already mentioned such as documented servicing by a "approved" shop, read dealer, including everything the book reccommends and so on. I've found that to pay to keep everything "according to book" to be able to use that EW cost more than the EW ever covered. IMHO

I see and I respect your opinion. But if the transmission stops proper function then the EW looks good. I guess my point is, in some cases it serves as an essential insurance.

Logical
08-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Being as you will just drive drunk anyways, Dr Doom recommends saving the cash, for your next DUI.

memyselfI
08-28-2007, 10:16 PM
But never on electronics/appliances. You'll never recoop your $. IMO

Well, not necessarily. I bought one for a portable TV/DVD combo we paid $140 for from Walmart. The plan was $15 for three years. So last month we took the unit on vacation with us. Well sometime on our trip the kids got a DVD stuck way in the back of the unit and it would not open or close. It was stuck.

I call the problem in and they deemed it not worthwhile to fix and not worth the cost to ship to them for confirmation so instead they send me a check for the total amount paid plus tax. The TV portion of the unit was still useable and the unit probably could have been fixed if someone knew what they were doing but my DH tried and broke it completely...

Moral of the story, the warranty paid off and do not let your spouse try to 'fix' something he shouldn't. I should mention I had the same thing happen with a printer I purchased at Office Depot. They sent me a check and I got to keep the printer which still worked after I realized the off brand ink cartridge I tried was bad. LOL

memyselfI
08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
I'd like to know the process in getting a used car to be a "certified used" car....

No to the warranty, the only person that's saying they didn't regret getting one is memememe, thread closed.

I forgot to mention that the van we purchased WAS certified by Mercury which apparently is more stringent in their standards than Ford.

Phobia
08-28-2007, 10:24 PM
The point is that a small percentage of consumers are getting a good value out of these warranties. The majority of us buy them and never need them. All that money goes into the pocket of some fat-cat at the top of the foodchain of the warranty company. I know a couple of salesmen in this business. They bring home six figures sitting at home on the phone 30 hours a week and golfing 20 hours. It's a scam - just like insurance. If insurance weren't required by law, I'd be trashing State Farm and Farmers too.

memyselfI
08-28-2007, 10:27 PM
The point is that a small percentage of consumers are getting a good value out of these warranties. The majority of us buy them and never need them. All that money goes into the pocket of some fat-cat at the top of the foodchain of the warranty company. I know a couple of salesmen in this business. They bring home six figures sitting at home on the phone 30 hours a week and golfing 20 hours. It's a scam - just like insurance. If insurance weren't required by law, I'd be trashing State Farm and Farmers too.

It's the same principle for life insurance, accidental death or dismemberment insurance, and catastrophic health insurance. Sheet, it's the same principle for car insurance, travel insurance, and just about any insurance you purchase.

Most people never use it and they subsidize those who do.

cdcox
08-28-2007, 10:37 PM
It's the same principle for life insurance, accidental death or dismemberment insurance, and catastrophic health insurance. Sheet, it's the same principle for car insurance, travel insurance, and just about any insurance you purchase.

I think there is a significant difference between extened warranties and most insurance.

If my car has a major break down, I can fork out a grand or two to fix it. If I can't afford that, I probably can't afford the car either.

If I die without life insurance, my family is going to go through a world of financial hurt. If I had an at-fault accident, I could lose my house and still not adequately compensate the person I maimed in the accident.

They are both rackets. But IMO, the insurance racket is a necessary evil. I'll pass on the extended warranties.

ROYC75
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
To each his / her own poision. If you have the funds to handle repairs, don't get it. If you don't and can handle the 20 - 30 bucks a month extra in payments, get it. Newer cars / trucks are more complex & expensive to work on that years past.

I bought a 2006 used Chevy Trailblazer with 30 K on it, got the extended warranty because it would be easier on me during the wife's condition right now. The transmission went out and it only cost me $ 100.00 down payment. Without it, I would of had to shell out the 2300.00 plus car rental bill.

So it depends on your funds .......

Logical
08-28-2007, 11:51 PM

I think most people end up using Car insurance, I know I would hate to be without it.

crazycoffey
08-29-2007, 07:24 AM
I forgot to mention that the van we purchased WAS certified by Mercury which apparently is more stringent in their standards than Ford.

no surprise, you apparently missed the point. But I'll play your game....
So Mercury can certify that your van is more what, more used than Ford can?

memyselfI
08-29-2007, 08:02 AM
no surprise, you apparently missed the point. But I'll play your game....
So Mercury can certify that your van is more what, more used than Ford can?

Apparently Mercury's 'cerftified' plan covers the powertrain and entitles you to 5 years or 75k whearas Ford only covers to 60k. Those 15k miles mean alot to me because I put alot of miles on vehicles.

If your point was what is the point of 'cerftified' anyway then I think you ask a valid question when it comes to American cars. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a used American car without an extended warranty. I got rid of my 'new' Saturn right after the manufacturers warranty expired but I could tell it was going to start having problems.

memyselfI
08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
I think most people end up using Car insurance, I know I would hate to be without it.

My husband has never had an accident but because I've had a few we've 'used' it. He's gotten like one speeding ticket in 30 plus years. He would do fine with just liability but the law says he can't. He is one person who the system has not worked for...

knock on wood it continues.

sedated
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY FOOL.

I'm more convinced by this thread and post made a week or so after a Drunk Mexican supposedly hit your car and you weren't drunk driving any longer. " People change".

But here is the thread a week later
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=168566

So....
You're either a dumbufck or a lying dumbF@ck, quicksedated.

I'd explain what actually happened after that, but I don't really care what any of you think about me. You just want something to pile on about.

Extra Point
08-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I think there is a significant difference between extened warranties and most insurance.

If my car has a major break down, I can fork out a grand or two to fix it. If I can't afford that, I probably can't afford the car either.

If I die without life insurance, my family is going to go through a world of financial hurt. If I had an at-fault accident, I could lose my house and still not adequately compensate the person I maimed in the accident.

They are both rackets. But IMO, the insurance racket is a necessary evil. I'll pass on the extended warranties.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better.

Iowanian
08-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I'd explain what actually happened after that, but I don't really care what any of you think about me. You just want something to pile on about.

You think you can smoke more dope than Kieth Richards and drive Miss Daisy....

Not really. I've just seen enough of your "drugs are great, I eatem' like sugar smacks, I'm drunk, I'm wasted, I'm wasted and drinking all night, I can drive drunk if I waaaaaant....oh wait, I've changed, some drunk hit my car I don't drive drunk any more....hey its a week later and I'm wasted at 4am getting ready to hit the major transportation arteries for your morning commute while I'm shitfaced...posts to have every right to point out the "discrepency" in your posts.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-29-2007, 10:38 AM
The EW is worthless without the undercoating. Don't leave the dealership without the undercoating

crazycoffey
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Apparently Mercury's 'cerftified' plan covers the powertrain and entitles you to 5 years or 75k whearas Ford only covers to 60k. Those 15k miles mean alot to me because I put alot of miles on vehicles.

If your point was what is the point of 'cerftified' anyway then I think you ask a valid question when it comes to American cars. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a used American car without an extended warranty. I got rid of my 'new' Saturn right after the manufacturers warranty expired but I could tell it was going to start having problems.

what they cover is not what my comment was for, it was sarcastic. "Certified Used" sounds more like they are saying "we promise it's a used car" the terminology is flawed from the begining, but that's the way it works now days. Certified diamonds, etc.

I already know what it really is; a marketing ploy for mindless consumers and it works, apparently. Let me look at the freakin car and take it to a mechanic friend, I'll let you know if I want to buy it. I don't need a dealer (who's goal it is to sell the vehicle) tell me that it's a good car, what else is he going to say?

Lzen
08-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Ummm....if you have life insurance, it will get used at some point.

Lzen
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
... It's a scam - just like insurance. If insurance weren't required by law, I'd be trashing State Farm and Farmers too.

I have said this very same thing many times.

JazzzLovr
08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Ummm....if you have life insurance, it will get used at some point.

LMAO