PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Debunking the Planet's Chiefs Myths Thread

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
This thread is dedicated to educating and correcting some growing myths that are perpetuating throughout this BB.

1. We should have kept Lawrence Tynes!

Not even no, HELL NO! Some people have very short memories. Lawrence Tynes missed a 23yd FG in the playoffs. YOU CANNOT COUNT ON A KICKER WHO MISSES A 23 YARD FG IN THE PLAYOFFS. He also missed extra points. This preseason he is kicking a dismal 33% and may get cut by the Giants.

While Medlock hasn't been perfect (50% thus far through 3 preseason games), he has a big leg and a lot of talent. He'll get better, but there may be some growing pains. If you want a young kicker to develop, you've got to stick with him.

For instance, in Nate Kaedings rookie year he kicked 80%, which isn't bad but wouldn't have cracked the top-20 last year. Since, he's improved each year (87.5 in 2005 and 89.7 in 2006). Matt Stover kicked at 72% his first 3 years in the league. He's averaged 86% over the last 13 seasons.

2. We have the worst offensive line in the league!

Yes, we have been spoiled throughout the years with greats such as Dave Szott, Tim Grunhard, John Alt, Will Shields and Willie Roaf among others. Our line, while not spectacular, is still very solid. Don't let the preseason fool you. We are solid inside with Waters-Weigman-Welbourne. Outside we improve at both tackle positions with Turley and McIntosh. We have yet to see our starting offensive line play together along with Jason Dunn and a blocking FB. Save the hysteria until we see the real unit take the field.

There are several teams with lines worse than ours - Oakland, Miami, Houston, Green Bay, Buffalo, Arizona, Tampa and Detroit to name a few. For entertainment sake, here is an offensive line ranking from last season: http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d80025d3e

Our line has improved from last season with the departure of I-65 and Sampson and the addition of McIntosh and moving Turley to RT.

3. Samie Parker will get cut!

Despite what goatcheese writes, Samie Parker will be a Chief during the 2007 season. The fact is that no other WR (Hannon, Webb, etc.) has stepped it up enough to take his job. Yes, Samie has the drops. Yes, many of us would like to see him go. However, it will not happen this year.

4. Damon "Downfield" Huard

For some reason many believe that Damon Huard cannot throw the long ball. Convinced, they are, that we are destined for a season of dump off passes in the flat, quick outs and 10 yard overthrown routes (since the furthest Damon can throw is 15yds, a 5 yard overthrow). None of these claims are true, however. Last season Damon Huard had the 9th longest completion in the NFL at 78 yards. In fact, in just 8 starts, Damon had 23 completions of 20+ yards and 5 of 40+.

5. We need to draft a Top-5 pick OT

This is absolute bullshit. A lot of top pick OTs don't pan out (see Robert Gallery, Mike Williams, Leonard Davis among others). Additionally we have a much greater need at QB than O-Line. We just signed McIntosh who can fill in at LT for a while. We should be able to sign a RT to take over for Turley in the offseason. As it stands now, our OLine is not that bad. Today we had a 4.5 ypc average. There were holes there for the running game. We also didn't yeild a single sack until after the game was 17-0. By then we were in obvious passing situations and no O-Line is going to stand up to that type of pressure. Brian Brohm, Colt McCoy, another WR or more D help? Fine. But a top-5 pick offensive lineman is not our #1 need. Even moreso because I don't think Jake Long is the answer.

More to come on an as-needed basis.

Skip Towne
08-28-2007, 04:39 PM
There has been a rumor circulating that GoChiefs knows a lot about football and is a writer. Both of these have been found to be false.

tooge
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
3. This is a rebuilding year.

The term rebuilding in football circles generaly implies that the GM is aware that the team has too many glaring weaknesses to compete for a playoff spot. Therefore, they trade away and cut aging vets and insert young and inexperienced players in the hopes that a year or two later, the team is competitive. This is most obvious with the QB. If this were a true "rebuilding" year, Brodie Croyle would be starting. As would guys like Herb Taylor (looks great at LT against 2nd teamers), Brackenridge, and maybe even Kershaw. But no, Herm and Carl both believe there is a chance at making the playoffs this year. If not, they would not have brought in Macintosh and Donnie Edwards. If they are sitting 3-8, late in the season, it will probably become a rebuilding year as far as youth goes, but until they hit that 8th loss, it isn't.

patteeu
08-28-2007, 04:46 PM
DaKCMan AP -

Truth or myth? The Chiefs organization and any fans who don't condemn the choice of Damon Huard to start the opener in the strongest of terms are hoping for a 9-7 season?

Redrum_69
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
There has been a rumor circulating that GoChiefs knows a lot about football and is a writer. Both of these have been found to be false.

:( ROFL ROFL

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2007, 04:49 PM
DaKCMan AP -

Truth or myth? The Chiefs organization and any fans who don't condemn the choice of Damon Huard to start the opener in the strongest of terms are hoping for a 9-7 season?
Myth, except for KCJohnny. In his case it's truth.

Redrum_69
08-28-2007, 04:50 PM
In the movie 300...Hootie was seen getting bitch owned by Xerxes

Frosty
08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
DaKCMan AP -

Well, of course they are hoping for more than a 9-7 season. However, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time is said to be a definition of insanity. :)

redbrian
08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
"2. We have the worst offensive line in the league!"

Worst, probably not, top ten not even close, bad, you bet, bottom dweller absolutely (until proven otherwise, and that is no myth).

Crashride
08-28-2007, 04:58 PM

But he got his uniform

boogblaster
08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
The Kid will be Ok kicking I think.. The Oline will have to play like madmen too reach the POs ....

Micjones
08-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Amen to #2. I've said this all off-season.

We get better at three spots...
How on Earth can that constitute the worst offensive line in the league?

Shields was declining. Welbourne strengthens a strong offensive line interior. Guard is his natural position.

McIntosh is easily a better LT than Black was...
If Turley can stay healthy we'll finally have a real answer at the RT spot and be improved over a year ago.

That's my biggest concern to this point, but I think we still have at least an average offensive line.

Reerun_KC
08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
There is a myth that Carl knows how to build a championship team...

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2007, 05:36 PM
There are several teams with lines worse than ours - Oakland, Miami, Houston, Green Bay, Buffalo, Arizona, Tampa and Detroit to name a few.

ROFL

This is like a friend of mine from Kansas City admitting that he's fat, though "I'm not as fat as all of my friends".

Nice justification.

"Hey guess what?! We suck but we don't suck as bad as Detroit!"

Sadly, it's come to this... :shake:

BIG_DADDY
08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
ROFL

This is like a friend of mine from Kansas City admitting that he's fat, though "I'm not as fat as all of my friends".

Nice justification.

Pretty much.

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2007, 05:39 PM
ROFL

Nice justification.

It's been stated countless number of times this week that we have "the worst offensive line in the league" and that somehow all of our QBs will be killed and we wont be able to block anyone.

It's flat out not true. Somehow, teams that don't have multiple hall-of-famers on their O-Line are able to protect their QB and open holes for their RBs, and we will too.

Rain Man
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
There is a myth that Carl knows how to build a championship team...

There is? Who in heck believes that?

redbrian
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
It's been stated countless number of times this week that we have "the worst offensive line in the league" and that somehow all of our QBs will be killed and we wont be able to block anyone.

It's flat out not true. Somehow, teams that don't have multiple hall-of-famers on their O-Line are able to protect their QB and open holes for their RBs, and we will too.

It's not the worst line (but close) but it will get the qb killed unless they pull their heads out of their collective asses, hell I'm not worried about busting holes for the run it's in the pass blocking scheme, and how will teams know we are going to pass, it's when Larry is sitting on the bench cause he won't pass block.

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Worst offensive line in the league? Maybe not. But the Chiefs offensive line features washed up players on the wrong side of 30. Welbourne hasn't played guard full time since his days in Philly, Terry's a mess, Turley's a mess, Wiegman's old and in the wrong scheme for his abilities and Svitek is awful. Couple that with an injured McIntosh (whose injury may haunt him all season) and no reliable backups, and this O-Line is a disaster waiting to happen.

cdcox
08-28-2007, 05:53 PM
The ranking of our OL depends greatly on health. If McIntosh is out and Turley's back gives out, the line will be non-functional, regardless of its rank. If everyone stays healthy the entire season, the line would be functional if not pedestrian.

KCFalcon59
08-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Not even no, HELL NO! Some people have very short memories. Lawrence Tynes missed a 23yd FG in the playoffs. YOU CANNOT COUNT ON A KICKER WHO MISSES A 23 YARD FG IN THE PLAYOFFS.

You forgot, In a dome!!!!

That lousy no good Lin Elliot clone!!!:cuss::cuss:

Woodrow Call
08-28-2007, 06:06 PM
The ranking of our OL depends greatly on health. If McIntosh is out and Turley's back gives out, the line will be non-functional, regardless of its rank. If everyone stays healthy the entire season, the line would be functional if not pedestrian.

Good post.

I agree 100%

patteeu
08-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Worst, probably not, top ten not even close, bad, you bet, bottom dweller absolutely (until proven otherwise, and that is no myth).

I don't think that's your call. DaKCMan AP is the final arbiter here.

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't think that's your call. DaKCMan AP is the final arbiter here.

Damn straight.

Logical
08-28-2007, 08:24 PM
ROFL

Nice justification.

Sadly, it's come to this... :shake:I am pretty sure we suck worse than the current Oakland O-line, yes folks I am Dr. Doom.

Logical
08-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Worst offensive line in the league? Maybe not. But the Chiefs offensive line features washed up players on the wrong side of 30. Welbourne hasn't played guard full time since his days in Philly, Terry's a mess, Turley's a mess, Wiegman's old and in the wrong scheme for his abilities and Svitek is awful. Couple that with an injured McIntosh (whose injury may haunt him all season) and no reliable backups, and this O-Line is a disaster waiting to happen.

I believe I told GoChiefs almost exactly this a couple of months ago. Htis told me I was an idiot. I am planning on recalling that if things don't get radically better when the season starts.

MahiMike
08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
3. This is a rebuilding year.

The term rebuilding in football circles generaly implies that the GM is aware that the team has too many glaring weaknesses to compete for a playoff spot. Therefore, they trade away and cut aging vets and insert young and inexperienced players in the hopes that a year or two later, the team is competitive. This is most obvious with the QB. If this were a true "rebuilding" year, Brodie Croyle would be starting. As would guys like Herb Taylor (looks great at LT against 2nd teamers), Brackenridge, and maybe even Kershaw. But no, Herm and Carl both believe there is a chance at making the playoffs this year. If not, they would not have brought in Macintosh and Donnie Edwards. If they are sitting 3-8, late in the season, it will probably become a rebuilding year as far as youth goes, but until they hit that 8th loss, it isn't.

Alas, you're right. I hope every year that they would take a step back to move 2 forward. Yet, they try to do both and it ultimately holds them back.

jidar
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
23b. Contrary to popular belief, college co-eds actually do not enjoy the shocker.

redbrian
08-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Damn straight.

Iím sorry but the planet is an anarcho-syndicalist commune, which has its members takes into turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

But all the decisions of that officer must be approved at a bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.

EyePod
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
that link isn't working

DaKCMan AP
08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
that link isn't working

Thanks, it's been fixed.

Stryker
08-28-2007, 09:44 PM

A-"F'N"-MEN! :clap:

Well put :thumb:

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I had nightmare the other night that Medlock missed 4 straight kicks in a 40 yard range during a regular season game.

Logical
08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I had nightmare the other night that Medlock missed 4 straight kicks in a 40 yard range during a regular season game.Look on the bright side he won't be missing any playoff field goals this year.

alanm
08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
How do you know McIntosh is better? No one has seen him yet. Granted he has to be better than Black and I sure as hell don't want to see Svitek on the field unless the rest of the scrubs had limbs amputated. And as for Medlock we'll see. He's missed quite a few FG's already and I haven't been blown away by any stretch of the imagination by his KO's.

Stryker
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
3. Chiefsplanet changed the forum from the name "Lounge" to "PanicPlanet" for OBVIOUS REASONS

There's your sign! :)

Logical
08-28-2007, 10:13 PM
How do you know McIntosh is better? No one has seen him yet. Granted he has to be better than Black and I sure as hell don't want to see Svitek on the field unless the rest of the scrubs had limbs amputated. And as for Medlock we'll see. He's missed quite a few FG's already and I haven't been blown away by any stretch of the imagination by his KO's.

That is the spirit, you are getting the hang of it, soon you can join the Legion of Doom.

KCJohnny
08-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Myth, except for KCJohnny. In his case it's truth.

Exactly. I am and have always been a true believer. Which is why I had to reject Ramifization and why for me, the jury is still out on the Herm Edwards Chiefs.

On the subject of myths, its also a myth that the Chiefs' organizational weakness is at QB. The Chiefs have sent nearly all of their starting QBs to the PB since 1990 - how many teams can say that?

alanm
08-28-2007, 11:13 PM
That is the spirit, you are getting the hang of it, soon you can join the Legion of Doom.
What do I have to lose. Being optimistic all these years since the Chiefs last appearance in the SB hasn't paid off. It's worth a shot. :thumb: :D

keg in kc
08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
You have pro bowlers, and you have perennial probowlers. Guys who truly excel at the position, recognized as the leader of their franchise for years.

The Chiefs have not had that. They don't have leaders, they don't have winners. They have game managers. No artists. Just mechanics.

Logical
08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Exactly. I am and have always been a true believer. Which is why I had to reject Ramifization and why for me, the jury is still out on the Herm Edwards Chiefs.

On the subject of myths, its also a myth that the Chiefs' organizational weakness is at QB. The Chiefs have sent nearly all of their starting QBs to the PB since 1990 - how many teams can say that?When did Deberg make the Pro Bowl as a Chief? Matter of fact did Montana even make it as a Chief? Bono? On recall I am thinking you are having a amazing trip down memory lane.

unlurking
08-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Regarding #1...

Am I the only one hear disappointed in Medlock's kick-offs? Christ, the guy is dropping them at the five (just like LT did), but the height he gets is abysmal! I DVR'd the last time, but never really got interested enough to watch it. If his kick-offs were no better than the first two games, our coverage unit is borked.

All I keep hearing from Medlock supporters his how strong his leg is and how accurate his kicks are. Yes, I think he will be a more accurate and consistent kicker than LT, but I see zero strength in his kick-offs, which IMO are just as important as field goals as they help the defense keep opponent points off the board.

cdcox
08-28-2007, 11:20 PM
When Deberg make the Pro Bowl as a Chief? Matter of fact did Montana even make it as a Chief? Bono? On recall I am thinking you are having a amazing trip down memory lane.

Deberg, no, but the other two yes, as a Chief.

alanm
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM

On the subject of myths, its also a myth that the Chiefs' organizational weakness is at QB. The Chiefs have sent nearly all of their starting QBs to the PB since 1990 - how many teams can say that?Herm is from the tree of Marty. Outside of Cowher he's the best we could do. I certainly enjoyed Saunders offense. I just wish the Chiefs could have found a way to keep him as OC. I won't miss any of those guys on the other side of the ball who were stealing paychecks.
:cuss:

Logical
08-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Deberg, no, but the other two yes, as a Chief.I will admit I am shocked about Bono.

alanm
08-28-2007, 11:24 PM
When did Deberg make the Pro Bowl as a Chief? Matter of fact did Montana even make it as a Chief? Bono? On recall I am thinking you are having a amazing trip down memory lane.
Well, John did say NEARLY all.

Logical
08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Regarding #1...

Am I the only one hear disappointed in Medlock's kick-offs? Christ, the guy is dropping them at the five (just like LT did), but the height he gets is abysmal! I DVR'd the last time, but never really got interested enough to watch it. If his kick-offs were no better than the first two games, our coverage unit is borked.

All I keep hearing from Medlock supporters his how strong his leg is and how accurate his kicks are. Yes, I think he will be a more accurate and consistent kicker than LT, but I see zero strength in his kick-offs, which IMO are just as important as field goals as they help the defense keep opponent points off the board.Really makes me miss Stenerud now that was a strong leg.

Deberg_1990
08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I will admit I am shocked about Bono.

95 was statiscally a good season for him.

alanm
08-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Really makes me miss Stenerud now that was a strong leg.
Yeah but Stenerud also kicked off from the 40.

KCJohnny
08-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I will admit I am shocked about Bono.

Montana, Bono, Grbac, Gannon (as a Raider), Green all made the PB. So much for the Chiefs QB = weakest link theory.

Frazod
08-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Montana, Bono, Grbac, Gannon (as a Raider), Green all made the PB. So much for the Chiefs QB = weakest link theory.

Wow. That particular stat never occurred to me.

But didn't Elvis back into his Pro Bowl appearance due to injury?

Logical
08-29-2007, 12:02 AM

But didn't Elvis back into his Pro Bowl appearance due to injury?Yes

Logical
08-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Proctor, other than DV's Green which ones of those made more than only a single appearance representing the Chiefs?

keg in kc
08-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I suppose QB is not a weak link if you're an individual who's satisfied with game managers instead of game winners, and blithely content with teams that perennially fall between 6-10 and 10-6.

That's the goal, after all. Not to try and win. That's not what football is about. It's about eliminating all risk. It's about playing not to lose.

It's certainly not about winning champtionships.

luv
08-29-2007, 12:41 AM
This thread isn't what I was expecting. It's myths about the Chiefs, and not about ChiefsPlanet.

TinyEvel
08-29-2007, 01:13 AM

He got bitch owned by copiers?

DaKCMan AP
08-29-2007, 06:22 AM
This thread isn't what I was expecting. It's myths about the Chiefs, and not about ChiefsPlanet.

Sorry to disappoint, but the thread title is Planet's Chiefs Myths and there is a little arrowhead message icon. :shrug:

TEX
08-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Our line, while not spectacular, is still very solid. Don't let the preseason fool you.

ROFL

The Emperor has no clothes...

Chiefnj2
08-29-2007, 07:26 AM
The nfl.com link on OL's ranks the Chiefs OL high because LJ had a lot of fantasy running points. It doesn't matter to them if he had to carry the ball 800 times to accumulate those points, or if he had a low ypc.

KCJohnny
08-29-2007, 08:52 AM

But didn't Elvis back into his Pro Bowl appearance due to injury?

His numbers more than justified it. Over 4,100 yds and 28 TDs, 14 INTs on a team with no running game. When you really dig down, the QB is not the weak link. The tea leaves all point to the GM, but that could be another Chiefs myth.

Jim's point that Trent Green is the only Chiefs QB who made the PB twice is well made, but irrelevant. He also is the last Chiefs QB to play more than 3 consecutive seasons.

KCChiefsFan88
08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Just a few myths off the top of my head...

Herm Edwards is a competent head coach

Mike Solari has an IQ above 50

Mike Solari is a better offensive coordinator than Jimmy Raye

Brodie Croyle is a more legit QBOTF than Matt Blundin and Pat Barnes

Goonther is a better defensive coordinator than Greg Robinson

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Just a few myths off the top of my head...

Herm Edwards is a competent head coach

Mike Solari has an IQ above 50

Mike Solari is a better offensive coordinator than Jimmy Raye

Brodie Croyle is a more legit QBOTF than Matt Blundin and Pat Barnes

Goonther is a better defensive coordinator than Greg Robinson

Miami doesn't suck

U of M players don't get into gun fights

U of M players never cheat

Miami doesn't suck

KCChiefsfan88 isn't an idiot

Simply Red
08-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Miami doesn't suck

U of M players don't get into gun fights

U of M players never cheat

Miami doesn't suck

KCChiefsfan88 isn't an idiot
I see you're turning over a new leaf.

whatever that means

luv
08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but the thread title is Planet's Chiefs Myths and there is a little arrowhead message icon. :shrug:
Oops. Dislexic moment.

DaKCMan AP
08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Oops. Dislexic moment.

Is that related to dyslexia?

DaKCMan AP
09-03-2007, 01:15 PM
bump to add #4

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
bump for #5 and all the chicken-littles

cdcox
09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
bump for #5 and all the chicken-littles

You're pretty brave to bump this thread with #4 hanging up there.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
You're pretty brave to bump this thread with #4 hanging up there.

Eh, at worst I'm at 80% ;)

He did have 2 20+ yd completions on the day, however.

WilliamTheIrish
09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Eh, at worst I'm at 80% ;)

He did have 2 20+ yd completions on the day, however.

It's refreshing to know that's what we're reduced to cheering about.

YAY! Damon threw not one, but TWO 20 yard completions.!!!!1111

Mecca
09-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I think anyone that wants to use a #1 pick on a LT and not a QB is basically out of their mind. This whole idea that a LT is more valuable than a QB is insane.

Chiefnj2
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I think anyone that wants to use a #1 pick on a LT and not a QB is basically out of their mind. This whole idea that a LT is more valuable than a QB is insane.

Not with Herm and Carl at the Helm. They won't/can't properly develop a #1 QB. It would be a monumental waste.

CupidStunt
09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Huard may have the worst arm of any starter in the NFL.

I do agree with the rest, though.

suds79
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Listing OTs who haven't paned out doesn't prove anything. You could name several guys at any position who were drafted high and didn't pan out.

Having said that, you want to give yourself the best shot so if there's a future stud LT, they'd better take him.

We'll find out soon enough if this team needs a QB.

And is our O-line the worse in the league? Maybe not... But it certainly isn't good enough to get the job done.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Listing OTs who haven't paned out doesn't prove anything. You could name several guys at any position who were drafted high and didn't pan out.

Having said that, you want to give yourself the best shot so if there's a future stud LT, they'd better take him.

We'll find out soon enough if this team needs a QB.

And is our O-line the worse in the league? Maybe not... But it certainly isn't good enough to get the job done.
They blocked enough for a 4.5 ypc average today and gave up 0 sacks while the game was in contention.

I'm not saying if there's a stud LT to take a maybe-ok QB over him. If there is a stud QB and a stud LT, however, we are more in need of the QB.

suds79
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
They blocked enough for a 4.5 ypc average today and gave up 0 sacks while the game was in contention.

I'm not saying if there's a stud LT to take a maybe-ok QB over him. If there is a stud QB and a stud LT, however, we are more in need of the QB.

Yes I understand that they did that for 1 game but I'm confident that their age/lack of talent will show as the season goes on.

As for the QB, you might very well be right. We just have to wait and see.

I guess the season will provide a lot of answers for us. That'll be the one good thing.

Mecca
09-09-2007, 08:20 PM
You are more confident in our QB situation than that line?

suds79
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
You are more confident in our QB situation than that line?

I'm just saying it's a big question mark and outside of 4 games of partial work, we really don't know much about 2nd year man Croyle.

Given the age & experience of the Oline, I think I know what they'll be. I can only guess with Brodie.

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 08:25 PM
we really don't know much about 2nd year man Croyle.

Given the age & experience of the Oline, I think I know what they'll be. I can only guess with Brodie.

Hopefully we'll get the chance to find out one way or the other in a couple more weeks.

suds79
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Hopefully we'll get the chance to find out one way or the other in a couple more weeks.

Yeah. That's when the season will actually get interesting for me. :(

Tribal Warfare
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I think anyone that wants to use a #1 pick on a LT and not a QB is basically out of their mind .

Without seeing what Croyle has for another unproven QB prospect is just as intelligent

Valiant
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
4. Damon "Downfield" Huard

For some reason many believe that Damon Huard cannot throw the long ball. Convinced, they are, that we are destined for a season of dump off passes in the flat, quick outs and 10 yard overthrown routes (since the furthest Damon can throw is 15yds, a 5 yard overthrow). None of these claims are true, however. Last season Damon Huard had the 9th longest completion in the NFL at 78 yards. In fact, in just 8 starts, Damon had 23 completions of 20+ yards and 5 of 40+.

So Damon threw the ball 78 yards in the air???

I am sorry you cannot use those stats to back up he can throw the long ball consistently because a WR/TE/RB gets a 0-15 yard pass and then gets yards after catch...

TEX
09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Not even no, HELL NO! Some people have very short memories. Lawrence Tynes missed a 23yd FG in the playoffs. YOU CANNOT COUNT ON A KICKER WHO MISSES A 23 YARD FG IN THE PLAYOFFS. He also missed extra points. This preseason he is kicking a dismal 33% and may get cut by the Giants.

I agree, but we should NOT have drafted Med$UCK in the 5th. The guy BLOWS. If we were to draft a kicker, it should have been Crosby, EVERYONE's # 1 (except ours). BTW, how did he do today? :hmmm:

unlurking
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
I still think Medlock was a mistake.

His leg is weak as shit. On kick offs, he can only make it to the 5 by line-driving the ball.

unlurking
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM

I agree, but we should NOT have drafted Med$UCK in the 5th. The guy BLOWS. If we were to draft a kicker, it should have been Crosby, EVERYONE's # 1 (except ours). BTW, how did he do today? :hmmm:
Agreed.

el borracho
09-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that you bumped this. Embarrassing.

Zouk
09-09-2007, 09:42 PM

If he was everyone's #1 why was he the 3rd kicker drafted?

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that you bumped this. Embarrassing.

Embarassing? #1, 2, 3 and 5 are all spot-on. #4 is somewhat debatable.

el borracho
09-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Tynes > Medlock tonight
we do need help on the Oline, specifically at left tackle
Huard gave us check downs all night tonight (less than 5 yards per pass).

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Tynes > Medlock tonight
we do need help on the Oline, specifically at left tackle
Huard gave us check downs all night tonight (less than 5 yards per pass).

1. So? Tynes proved that he is not the answer at kicker after missing a 23yd FG in the playoffs. That is unexcusable. Rookie kickers generally struggle their first year, and until that year is up it's not really fair to judge Medlock.

2. Yes, any team can always use help on the o-line. However, our line is not nearly the worst in the league nor is it our weakest area on the team.

3. Huard did have mostly short throws. He had 2 completions of 20+ yds, though. I'm not arguing that he's a gunslinger, but the notion that he can't throw the ball further than 15 yards is ridiculous.

unlurking
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Embarassing? #1, 2, 3 and 5 are all spot-on. #4 is somewhat debatable.
#1 is not spot on. I still believe that replacing Tynes was the right thing to do, but Medlock is definitely not the man for the job.

There is no way ANYONE can logically justify starting Medlock and NOT Croyle. Mental issues are much bigger for kickers than QBs, and if Medlock's issue really is mental (and I haven't seen anything to think it's not that he just sucks), then we should bench him until we have a "more positive environment".

DaKCMan AP
09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
#1 is not spot on. I still believe that replacing Tynes was the right thing to do, but Medlock is definitely not the man for the job.

There is no way ANYONE can logically justify starting Medlock and NOT Croyle. Mental issues are much bigger for kickers than QBs, and if Medlock's issue really is mental (and I haven't seen anything to think it's not that he just sucks), then we should bench him until we have a "more positive environment".

I'm not justifying not starting Croyle.

unlurking
09-09-2007, 10:44 PM
1. So? Tynes proved that he is not the answer at kicker after missing a 23yd FG in the playoffs. That is unexcusable. Rookie kickers generally struggle their first year, and until that year is up it's not really fair to judge Medlock.

2. Yes, any team can always use help on the o-line. However, our line is not nearly the worst in the league nor is it our weakest area on the team.

3. Huard did have mostly short throws. He had 2 completions of 20+ yds, though. I'm not arguing that he's a gunslinger, but the notion that he can't throw the ball further than 15 yards is ridiculous.

1) He's struggling MORE than Tynes did his rookie year. He can barely kick the ball down field on kick offs. If this guy was as good as you (and many others) have said, there has got to be something physically wrong with him.

2) Will agree with that. McIntosh was an improvement, but it is still a very weak area (unfortunately we seem to have many of those).

3) That 25 yarder to Bowe was as laughable as you can get. Hell, he got more air under the ball than Medlock gets on kick-offs!!!

unlurking
09-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not justifying not starting Croyle.
Oops, my mistake based on #4.

el borracho
09-09-2007, 10:48 PM

Well, I disagree about Tynes but it's beyond mattering now, anyway. Tynes is gone and he isn't coming back. Let us hope that Medlock improves.

Worst in the league is probably an exaggeration, you are right about that... but we are worse than most. Honestly, are you satisfied with our Oline?

Can't throw farther than 15 yards? I wouldn't argue that (of course he can throw farther than 15 yards) but Huard is quick to check down. 10 receptions to the RBs, 5 receptions to the TEs, and 7 receptions to the WRs with an average yards per pass of 4.5- that is a problem.

Logical
09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
I think anyone that wants to use a #1 pick on a LT and not a QB is basically out of their mind. This whole idea that a LT is more valuable than a QB is insane.You really can get a QB through free agency, you are not getting a premier LT through free agency. Hell Willie Roaf was a godsend via trade, thank God Joe Horn screwed Willie's wife.

LTs in the first are far less likely to be a crapshoot than a QB. A QB is at best a 40% chance for success.

Logical
09-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Is this against the same defensive line that everyone was saying was pathetic for Houston, so why are we supposed to be impressed?