PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network HD Local Channels Question

Lzen
08-29-2007, 08:43 AM
I just got Dish Network HD hooked up to my new LCD. Does anyone else in Topeka have high def and locals? It seems as though Dish does not offer locals in high definition. What I'm unclear about is whether or not I will get any of the network high def content.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I've got KSNT, KTKA and WIBW in HD through Cox.

Undertaker #59
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
I am not in Topeka, but I do have DISH and HD (and HD locals). You either have the HD channel, or you don't. It will be labeled as HD and will be listed in the program guide separately from the SD channel. So if your locals do not have that HD label, then you will not get the network programming in HD either.

Lzen
08-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I actually investigated Cox as well as DirecTV. In the end, Dish looked like the best for me. They still have the most HD channels. Hell, Cox doesn't even have NFL Network in HD.

Lzen
08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Another thing about Cox with which I was not impressed....Their dvr had a small capacity. Very small.

Sure-Oz
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm in nkc area and we have dish hd and our locals are all in HD as well as regular.

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I have DISH HD, my locals are Cleveland. I was told I had to get an off-air antenna if I wanted my locals in HD. Fuggers...

BigMeatballDave
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm in nkc area and we have dish hd and our locals are all in HD as well as regular.Through the Dish, or an antenna?

Lzen
08-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I have DISH HD, my locals are Cleveland. I was told I had to get an off-air antenna if I wanted my locals in HD. Fuggers...

I bought a little antenna from Walmart (RCA, I think). Hooked it up to my dish receiver last night. Within minutes, I was receiving over the air digital broadcasts. Watched CSI:New York last night in HD with this. Dish Network told me that my locals don't offer HD to them and therefore they can't offer it to me. I think that is BS because I can pick up the network HD broadcast over the air.

Simply Red
08-30-2007, 08:17 AM
I bought a little antenna from Walmart (RCA, I think). Hooked it up to my dish receiver last night. Within minutes, I was receiving over the air digital broadcasts. Watched CSI:New York last night in HD with this. Dish Network told me that my locals don't offer HD to them and therefore they can't offer it to me. I think that is BS because I can pick up the network HD broadcast over the air.
:clap: Good for you.

Skip Towne
08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
They're just lying. They do a lot of that.

Lzen
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
They're just lying. They do a lot of that.

I would guess that it is more the fact that the reps on the phone are taught scripted answers to tell customers. Either way, I still think Dish HD is better than DTV or Cox cable. And believe me when I tell you that I researched those other 2 options before signing up for Dish Network HD.

Sure-Oz
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Through the Dish, or an antenna?
Dish

Saulbadguy
08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Another thing about Cox with which I was not impressed....Their dvr had a small capacity. Very small.
:shrug:

I've never had problems with running out of space.

Lzen
08-30-2007, 09:44 AM
:shrug:

I've never had problems with running out of space.

How many hours of SD and how many hours of HD can it hold?

Saulbadguy
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
How many hours of SD and how many hours of HD can it hold?
Well, i'm not sure on that. Normally I delete things after I watch them.

My dad got a cox dvr last year as well, I don't know why because he never uses it, but I set it up to record all episodes of "Married with Children".

3 months later he calls me "My DVR is full". He didn't know how to delete them. ROFL

So, it held 3 months worth of Married with Children episodes.

Lzen
08-30-2007, 09:49 AM
BTW, I called Dish again today and they told me that I could not get KC locals or any other market because of some stupid federal law passed in December. They did give me info on a company that somehow is able to bypass this.

I don't think I will bother with this, but if anyone else is interested, here is the info:
They are called All American Direct.
The website is www.mydistantnetworks.com.
Their phone # is 1-800-909-9677.

Lzen
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Well, i'm not sure on that. Normally I delete things after I watch them.

My dad got a cox dvr last year as well, I don't know why because he never uses it, but I set it up to record all episodes of "Married with Children".

3 months later he calls me "My DVR is full". He didn't know how to delete them. ROFL

So, it held 3 months worth of Married with Children episodes.

That doesn't tell me much. Were these episodes in HD or SD? How often were they recorded? For instance, my new Dish HD DVR holds up to 350 hours of SD programming, up to 55 hours of HD programming, or a combination of the two.

Saulbadguy
08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
That doesn't tell me much. Were these episodes in HD or SD? How often were they recorded? For instance, my new Dish HD DVR holds up to 350 hours of SD programming, up to 55 hours of HD programming, or a combination of the two.
I'd have to check when I get home. I just know i've had it for a couple years now and have never had a problem with running out of space, even when having quite a few HD shows on there.

dtebbe
08-31-2007, 08:39 PM

LOL. Small Cox!

Lzen
09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
LOL. Small Cox!

Lol, Saul.