PDA

View Full Version : Labor day price gouge

Buster's Dad
08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
The friggen gas prices went up 20-25 cents per gallon overnight, it really seems funny that every place in town ,upon opening raises thier prices. :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :deevee:

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
More people will be driving this weekend.

HonestChieffan
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
They just singled you out. Its not gonna be a big deal.

Scaga
08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey...the President has to eat after he's out of office! :cuss:

Donger
08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
* sigh *

morphius
08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
* sigh *
Yup, because there is no way our current refinery output could handle a busy weekend...

It was also rumored that gas companies were completely shocked that Labor Day was coming up, and caught them completely off guard.

Donger
08-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Yup, because there is no way our current refinery output could handle a busy weekend...

It was also rumored that gas companies were completely shocked that Labor Day was coming up, and caught them completely off guard.

It's not a question of refinery output. It's simple economics. Demand goes up approximately 5% above normal this weekend.

What do you think should happen? A price drop?

StcChief
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
How about stay home

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM
It's not a question of refinery output. It's simple economics. Demand goes up approximately 5% above normal this weekend.

A 5% increase in price? Just a thought.

Mr. Laz

ROFL ROFL

HonestChieffan
Have you been to Scott City?

Stay Home? Labor Day? No way...its Dove Season..

Fish
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
I like my bike.....

BIG_DADDY
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a gas guzzler but I'm not really going anywhere.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
If my math is correct, prices where I am went up .10. So if I fill up it is going to cost me 1.30 more than it did a day ago. How am I going to be able to support my family with 1.30 less. :deevee:

Wile_E_Coyote
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
The gas companies have saved millions of lives with their higher prices. They should get the Presidential medal of honor, or whatever

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
If my math is correct, prices where I am went up .10. So if I fill up it is going to cost me 1.30 more than it did a day ago. How am I going to be able to support my family with 1.30 less. :deevee:
Don't buy a lottery ticket and a pack of gum. :hmmm:

Simply Red
08-29-2007, 10:44 AM

Yes a price drop. That's it. :shake:

JESUS cut me some slack! Buster's dad don't play dat!

Mr. Laz
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
republican ... definitely republican ... definitely

http://www.mutantes.com.ar/images/rainman.jpg

Donger
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Yes a price drop. That's it. :shake:

JESUS cut me some slack! Buster's dad don't play dat!

Prices will drop, like they do every year, when demand decreases after the summer driving season.

Funny how that happens.

Simplex3
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM

I know as demand for my talents rise I go to work and ask for a pay cut.

ZepSinger
08-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I tell ya what it is. It's those US Americans. Lots of unnecessary driving due to not having maps to South Africa, or the Iraq, such as.

:)

Simply Red
08-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Prices will drop, like they do every year, when demand decreases after the summer driving season.

Funny how that happens.
okay. overkill now.

Simply Red
08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I know as demand for my talents rise I go to work and ask for a pay cut.
Talents? Talents?

You'll need to do more than make coffee to get a raise.

Donger
08-29-2007, 11:03 AM
okay. overkill now.

Honestly, I don't think that's possible on this subject. When prices begin to drop as the driving season ends, the people who complain every year will conveniently disappear, only to re-appear next year when prices start to climb, complaining about 'gouging.'

Cochise
08-29-2007, 11:06 AM

Not all relationships are perfectly linear.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2007, 11:35 AM

It's actually even MORE than that.....when you consider the oil companies share of the price we pay is around $2, due to the state and fed taxes most of us pay.

And there are NO external events, recently, to account for it, that I know of....

So it's closer to a 10% overnight hike--that as others have suggested, oil companies SHOULD have been expected the increased "demand" and planned for....

Demand, my ass. :shake:

Donger
08-29-2007, 11:40 AM
It's actually even MORE than that.....when you consider the oil companies share of the price we pay is around $2, due to the state and fed taxes most of us pay.

And there are NO external events, recently, to account for it, that I know of....

So it's closer to a 10% overnight hike--that as others have suggested, oil companies SHOULD have been expected the increased "demand" and planned for....

Demand, my ass. :shake:

They have prepared for it. That's why when you go to buy gas this weekend, they'll have some.

Are you seriously suggesting that demand is not going to increase when 30 million Americans hit the road this weekend?

Cochise
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
They have prepared for it. That's why when you go to buy gas this weekend, they'll have some.

Are you seriously suggesting that demand is not going to increase when 30 million Americans hit the road this weekend?

I think he is suggesting that demand should affect the price later, and not that oil companies have to increase production in advance to have enough product available for the weekend when everybody and their dog burns up a few tanks.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Honestly, I don't think that's possible on this subject. When prices begin to drop as the driving season ends, the people who complain every year will conveniently disappear, only to re-appear next year when prices start to climb, complaining about 'gouging.'

Funny how ive never seen a thread titled "Gas prices take a huge tumble"

Cochise
08-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Or funny how I've never seen one that says "Population of United States takes huge tumble", or "Car ownership takes huge tumble", or "Number of V8 engines sold takes huge tumble", or...

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
If they printed "Gas prices take a huge tumble", all the ****ING DUMBASSES in this country would immediately go to Wal-Mart and buy all the gas canisters they can and fill them up, creating a huge demand, and in turn, raising prices.

Donger
08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
If they printed "Gas prices take a huge tumble", all the ****ING DUMBASSES in this country would immediately go to Wal-Mart and buy all the gas canisters they can and fill them up, creating a huge demand, and in turn, raising prices.

ROFL

Donger
08-29-2007, 11:58 AM

I think I posted some threads over the winter last year on the subject, but no, not with that exact title.

But, considering that the high last summer was $3.00 and then it went down to $2.10 this January, I'd say that such a thread was probably warranted.

morphius
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

So, somehow they increased production when they were already running at full capacity to prepare for this weekend? Inconceivable!

Mr. Laz
08-29-2007, 12:11 PM
So, somehow they increased production when they were already running at full capacity to prepare for this weekend? Inconceivable!
http://www.emarketingperformance.com/blog-images/inconceivable.jpg

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:11 PM

They weren't running at full capacity. They went from about 89% to about 94% in anticipation of the demand increase.

Just like they do every year.

Iowanian
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
why is it...when I have a busier schedule and have to deal with more people at certain times of the year, or after certain events......I don't get to nail them all to the wall for an additional 35%.

Your water company doesn't charge you more for your water in the morning, you know....due to shower demand.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
why is it...when I have a busier schedule and have to deal with more people at certain times of the year, or after certain events......I don't get to nail them all to the wall for an additional 35%.

Your water company doesn't charge you more for your water in the morning, you know....due to shower demand.

Gasoline is a retail commodity.

And, my water company does charge me more if my demand goes above normal.

Iowanian
08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
They don't raise water rates in the morning, in anticipation of "potential" problems with supply.

You're an oil company pimp.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:36 PM
They don't raise water rates in the morning, in anticipation of "potential" problems with supply.

No, but they do in the summer, when demand is high.

You're an oil company pimp.

Okay, believe what you will.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Donger is the master of deception.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
ROFL

Good News, Bad News

As the Labor Day weekend approaches, there is both good news and bad news for drivers. The good news is that retail prices have been falling over the last several weeks and, nationally, are the lowest they have been since early April. The bad news, however, is that inventories are very low, especially in terms of days of supply (calculated by taking total gasoline inventories and dividing by the latest four-week average of product supplied). The low inventory level could limit the normal seasonal drop in retail prices after Labor Day.

But first, here�s the good news for drivers. The average retail gasoline price is down 47 cents per gallon since its peak the week before Memorial Day. What�s more, the trend has been fairly consistent, with the average national retail price for regular gasoline falling 11 out of the last 14 weeks. High prices seen before Memorial Day spurred increased supply, both by domestic production and increased imports. However, recently, as gasoline demand reached its seasonal peak, imports declined and refinery problems dampened domestic refinery production, such that inventories have been used to meet demand. Over the last four weeks, total gasoline inventories have dropped by more than 12 million barrels, or somewhat faster than normally seen at this time of year. This sharp drop in inventories leads us to the bad news for consumers.

As the chart below indicates, not only is the absolute level of inventories low (see Figure 4 in the Weekly Petroleum Status Report), but in terms of days of supply, it is the lowest ever recorded (the days of supply data goes back to March 1991), reaching just 20 days. This is even fewer days than seen following the hurricanes in 2005. While the absolute level of total gasoline inventories has been slightly lower a few times in recent years, when the level of demand is taken into account, it has not been this low before. Of course, with gasoline demand set to fall significantly after Labor Day, the low level of inventories is not likely to cause a sharp spike in retail prices, but more likely will limit the usual seasonal decline seen after Labor Day, with the possibility remaining of an atypical slight increase over the next few weeks.

In Terms of Days of Supply, U.S. Total Gasoline Inventories Are Currently the Lowest Ever Recorded

What this means is that while retail prices are not expected to jump sharply on a national average, they are also unlikely to fall dramatically over the next few weeks. Of course, this expectation is based on the assumption that there are no major hurricanes or other non-market events impacting petroleum infrastructure over the next few weeks. With no storms forming in the Atlantic as of this writing, that should be considered as another bit of good news for drivers.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Donger is the master of deception.

Based on what?

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Based on what?Deceit.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Deceit.

What am I being deceitful about?

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
What am I being deceitful about?
The truth.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
The truth.

The truth about what?

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
The truth about what?
Deception.

Simply Red
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
The truth about what?
Let's see; you told me you were a girl. Then you proceeded to tell me you are neither a male nor female.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Deception.

Donger
08-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Let's see; you told me you were a girl. Then you proceeded to tell me you are neither a male nor female.

That's just plain weird.

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:00 PM

I am glad to hear you can get by one one fill up a week. I am a cable contractor. I fill up 2-3 times a week. 5 years ago, That would have cost me about $30/ tank, now it costs me $50+/ tank. The prices we get paid now are virtually the same as they were then, which means $50 or more out of my pocket per week, or $2500 more per year, all because the F--King oil companies are able to manipulate the prices. Screw your $1.30 analogy. It doesn't wash with me.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:02 PM
The prices we get paid now are virtually the same as they were then

I think I've identified the cause of your fiscal pain.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I am glad to hear you can get by one one fill up a week. I am a cable contractor. I fill up 2-3 times a week. 5 years ago, That would have cost me about $30/ tank, now it costs me $50+/ tank. The prices we get paid now are virtually the same as they were then, which means $50 or more out of my pocket per week, or $2500 more per year, all because the F--King oil companies are able to manipulate the prices. Screw your $1.30 analogy. It doesn't wash with me.
Get a new job then.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:05 PM

Oh, and your mathematics are wrong.

* Edit - Sorry, I didn't see the "2-3 times a week" part.

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh thats great, the oil companies screw me, so I have to give up a career I enjoy to make a living. Brilliant!!!

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Oh thats great, the oil companies screw me, so I have to give up a career I enjoto make a living. Brilliant!!!
Well, if I worked for a company for 5 years and got no raise, i'd probably quit too.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh thats great, the oil companies screw me, so I have to give up a career I enjoy to make a living. Brilliant!!!

How exactly are the oil companies screwing you? How do you define that?

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I think I've identified the cause of your fiscal pain.
Let me rephrase that. The prices are virtually unchanged in comparison to the increases in the price of gas and other products and service due to the price gouging. I think that applies to everyone. Gas prices have doubled, inflation is up, and relative income, as a whole is down in this country because of oil prices.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Let me rephrase that. The prices are virtually unchanged in comparison to the increases in the price of gas and other products and service due to the price gouging. I think that applies to everyone. Gas prices have doubled, inflation is up, and relative income, as a whole is down in this country because of oil prices.

Price gouging?

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I can't believe cable contracters get away with the prices they charge. That is price gouging.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I can't believe cable contracters get away with the prices they charge. That is price gouging.

I hate Big Cable.

DenverChief

A price drop would get more people to the pumps and in the long run make you more moeny

Mr. Kotter

Sounds like a great thread.... ;)

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I hate Big Cable.

Communist.

:)

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:18 PM
A price drop would get more people to the pumps and in the long run make you more moeny

Actually, I've been surprised that demand has continued to grow despite the high prices.

But, why would that "make me more money"?

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Well, if I worked for a company for 5 years and got no raise, i'd probably quit too.

Do you talk about shit you have no idea about in real life too, or do you just come to a bulletin board to talk shit, where you can't be held accountable for the stupid shit you say.

When I started this job, the income was considered well above average for this area. People get used to making a certain amount of money, and they budget themselves accordingly. The unreasonable gouging of gas prices has screwed that budget. The income is still above average for this area, and difficult to replace, if I wanted to change careers, Which, I do not. Maybe you should change jobs, cleaning the bathrooms at McDonalds must get old

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Do you even have a clue what you are talking about?

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Do you talk about shit you have no idea about in real life too, or do you just come to a bulletin board to talk shit, where you can't be held accountable for the stupid shit you say.

When I started this job, the income was considered well above average for this area. People get used to making a certain amount of money, and they budget themselves accordingly. The unreasonable gouging of gas prices has screwed that budget. The income is still above average for this area, and difficult to replace, if I wanted to change careers, Which, I do not. Maybe you should change jobs, cleaning the bathrooms at McDonalds must get old
I make a good salary for the work I do, and I don't have to pay for fuel out of my pocket when I go anywhere. I wouldn't take a job where I had to pay for my own fuel.

Of course, if I had to take a pay cut for any reason, i'd adjust my budget accordingly. It's not that hard to cut out $50 a week out of a budget.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Do you even have a clue what you are talking about?
Of course. Installing cable is not rocket science. They shouldn't charge that much for it.

DenverChief
08-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Actually, I've been surprised that demand has continued to grow despite the high prices.

But, why would that "make me more money"?

world demand or U.S.?

I'm not sure in what context you are asking the question are you referring to my statement or being facetious

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:29 PM
world demand or U.S.?

I'm not sure in what context you are asking the question are you referring to my statement or being facetious

Domestic demand.

I was referring to your statement.

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Of course. Installing cable is not rocket science. They shouldn't charge that much for it.

Try it sometime. There are a lot of expenses for the contractor. There are also very few people who are suited for cable contracting. I have ran a crew for a while, and I have fired numerous people who were too stupid, or too lazy. to do it right. You have to be a person who is motivated and intelligent enough to work with very little supervision and therein lies the problem. Most people, when left unsupervised, will either not know what to do, or they will cut corners, and do a half ass job. Believe you me. I have earned every penny that I have earned cable contracting, and the cable companies got there monies worth. So, now that you have shown that you know nothing about this subject, go start a poop thread and talk about something you do know something about

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Try it sometime. There are a lot of expenses for the contractor. There are also very few people who are suited for cable contracting. I have ran a crew for a while, and I have fired numerous people who were too stupid, or too lazy. to do it right. You have to be a person who is motivated and intelligent enough to work with very little supervision and therein lies the problem. Most people, when left unsupervised, will either not know what to do, or they will cut corners, and do a half ass job. Believe you me. I have earned every penny that I have earned cable contracting, and the cable companies got there monies worth. So, now that you have shown that you know nothing about this subject, go start a poop thread and talk about something you do know something about
No, there really is nothing to it. I've done it before.

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I doubt that, because anyone who has would not call the prices gouging

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I doubt that, because anyone who has would not call the prices gouging
I never billed the work, dumbass.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Heh. Guess what Comcast's profit margin is?

16.5%

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I never billed the work, dumbass.

Then you wouldn't know if it was gouging or not, would you, dumbf--k!!

TEX
08-29-2007, 01:43 PM
No, there really is nothing to it. I've done it before.

I have as well, there wasn't much to it, and the cable contractors did indeed rip folks off. I think it's funny how those in the "gouging industries" always have an explanation. Shoot, if ya listen long enough - you might find yourself believeing it. I wonder if that's what happened to them? :hmmm:

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Then you wouldn't know if it was gouging or not, would you, dumbf--k!!
Yes I would.

jjchieffan
08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I give up. This is like arguing with a 3 year old. Believe what you like. I'm done here.

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I give up. This is like arguing with a 3 year old. Believe what you like. I'm done here.
Going to go install some RG-6?

DenverChief
08-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Domestic demand.

I was referring to your statement.

fack I lost that post to a damn crappy wireless router

anyway you make more money because of the higher turnout for the holiday weekend....there are people (like me) who won't make any travel plans because of the higher prices....whereas if the prices continued to drop or stayed approx the same I would so basically you make more selling 10 people $2.50/gallon gas than you will 5 people $3.00/gallon gas

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 01:49 PM

Sounds like you need a cable contractor.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:52 PM

anyway you make more money because of the higher turnout for the holiday weekend....there are people (like me) who won't make any travel plans because of the higher prices....whereas if the prices continued to drop or stayed approx the same I would so basically you make more selling 10 people $2.50/gallon gas than you will 5 people $3.00/gallon gas

I thought you were implying that I somehow make more money because of this.

Donger
08-29-2007, 01:52 PM

The struggle IS the glory.