PDA

View Full Version : The Thanksgiving woody

Wile_E_Coyote
08-29-2007, 10:33 AM
http://health.msn.com/centers/mensexualhealth/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100167992

Odd Food Smells and Libido

Pumpkin pie and lavender, and other food smells like doughnuts and licorice, don’t seem like the kinds of odors men would find sexually stimulating. Yet for several years, these allegedly potent odors have appeared in media stories about male aphrodisiacs, garnering wide-eyed looks and more than a few guffaws.

The odors from the above-mentioned foods were the most sexually tantalizing of those tested in a study carried out in the late 1990s by Dr. Alan R. Hirsch, who directs the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago.

Among all the odors tested, the combination of pumpkin pie and lavender produced the greatest increase in arousal (a 40 percent increase in penile blood flow).

The next most arousing odors were a mix of cinnamon buns, doughnuts and licorice; pumpkin pie and doughnuts; orange; and lavender and doughnuts. Other stimulating aromas were buttered popcorn and cheese pizza. About what you’d expect to smell in a frat house rec room the morning after a big party.

shrek6849
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I dunno about the Thanksgiving woody, but the post-meal turkey induced nap is the best of the year.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
I just thought Grandma had that certain something

KCFalcon59
08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
I like Pie

Wile_E_Coyote
08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
It's prolly all about the dollops of Dream Whip

StcChief
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
The Thanksgiving woodyanother aid to the afternooner "Nap"

boogblaster
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Afternoon delight..add the whippin cream for more excitment ...

boogblaster
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Afternoon delight..add the whippin cream for more excitment ...

Rooster
08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
I just thought Grandma had that certain something
ROFL ROFL

KC-TBB
08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
oh man, I thought this was an article about one of those old surfin rigs that was painted with turkeys on it or something...

chasedude
08-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I dunno about the Thanksgiving woody, but the post-meal turkey induced nap is the best of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan

Turkey meat and drowsiness

One widely held urban myth is that heavy consumption of turkey meat (as for example in a Thanksgiving feast) results in drowsiness and this effect has been attributed to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[41][42][43] While turkey does contain high levels of tryptophan, the amount is comparable to that contained in most other meats.[11] Furthermore postprandial Thanksgiving sedation may have more to do with what is consumed along with the turkey, and in particular carbohydrates, rather than the turkey itself.

It has been demonstated in both animal models[44] and in humans[45][46][47] that ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers release of insulin. Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (LNAA) but not tryptophan (trp) into muscle increasing the ratio of trp to LNAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased ratio of tryptophan to large neutral amino acids in the blood reduces competition with other amino acids for the large neutral amino acid transporter protein for uptake of tryptophan across the blood-brain barrier into the central nervous system (CNS).[48][49] Once inside the CNS, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[44][46] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[8] Hence, these data suggest that "feast-induced drowsiness", and particularly, the common American post-thanksgiving dinner drowsiness, may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates which via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep promoting serotonin and melatonin in the brain.[44][45][46][47]