PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I am interviewing the Former CEO of Coca-Cola... any questions?

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I have a noon audio interview with him about his book, Lessons on Leadership. He was former CFO and CEO of Coke. Helped take them from 3 Billion in revenue to 125 Billion.

I get 30 minutes with him.

Anything that you would like to seriously know that I should ask him?

Here is the Interview:

http://www.cultivategreatness.com/assets/mp3podcast.jpg
Jack Stahl- Former CFO, COO, President of Coca-Cola, Former CEO of Revlon Audio Interview [24:00 length] (http://cultivategreatness.com/podcasts/CG015_JackStahl.mp3)

Saulbadguy
08-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Coke 2 - Why?

RJ
08-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Is he a Falcons fan?

Did he ever drive a Coke truck?

What is his net worth?

What was his first position with the company?

How does he prefer his Coke? Can, bottle, glass over ice, with rum?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a noon audio interview with him about his book, Lessons on Leadership. He was former CFO and CEO of Coke. Helped take them from 3 Billion in revenue to 125 Billion.

I get 30 minutes with him.

Anything that you would like to seriously know that I should ask him?
Ask him how many people he crushed on his way to the top. Find out how he did it.

runnercyclist
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
How often does he sneak a Pepsi?

sportsman1
08-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Ive consumed around 10 Cokes a day for 14 years. Ask him Where the hell is my stock?

Marlboro_Chief
08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
What happened to the "Coca" in Coca-Cola?

Cochise
08-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Ask him what one thing you can do that will give you the best chance of becoming a CEO yourself.

sportsman1
08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Ask him in his opinion if he could pick one thing that attributed to Coca Colas success in the market.

Phobia
08-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Ask him why he's agreed to be interviewed by a moron.

cdcox
Tell us about the accident in which Coca-cola was first carbonated.

Which one of your marketing geniuses first came up the modern image of Santa?

Has your wife ever used Coca-cola as a spermicide?

Are the worms in the pork or the coke?

So, when your kids lose a tooth, do you make them put it in a glass of coke to save money on the tooth fairy?

Do you ban asprin from your plants to keep your workers from getting high?

So who knows the other half of the coke recipie?

What made you decide to change the color from green?

So what's it like to be a Mormon?

Say, I never got my free case of coke when I forwarded that email. When can I expect it?

Do you feel guilty for profiting from Hitler's invention?

TRR
Ask him why the hell they took the actual coke out of the coca-cola

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Ask him this - When you were a little kid did you dream of growing up and being the head of a soulless mega corporation?

Cochise
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
New Coke is interesting. I read a piece about it in a marketing class. Apparently, the focus groups were all positive on the taste in a blind situation.

I think as the story goes that they found that if the same thing was put in different packaging - if the red color of the can was slightly changed, or the font changed as it was on the new Coke can - people would report that it tasted differently.

Cochise
08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Ask him what lead to Coke's successes in penetrating foreign markets, and what strategies they employed to do so.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Ask him what lead to Coke's successes in penetrating foreign markets, and what strategies they employed to do so.

I can answer that and this guy had nothing to do with it.

Cochise
08-29-2007, 09:34 PM
I can answer that and this guy had nothing to do with it.

I'd rather hear his answer since he's got some credibility. You can't even successfully infiltrate an internet message board.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Ask if their next move is to put the coke back "in" the soft drink.

That would certainly drive up their market share.

SBK
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Ask him what he did to bring about such explosive growth.

How was he able to motivate those around him to move the company so far so fast.

88TG88
08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Ask him this - When you were a little kid did you dream of growing up and being the head of a soulless mega corporation?
LMAO

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
very nice, so far.

His book was great. I have literary publicists sending me shitloads of books because of my site, CultivateGreatness.com

One asked me if I wanted to interview an author and my mind started spinning. So, I contacted a few more publicists and have now received several Review books.

So I have been reading 50-100 pages pretty much everyday.

And then I get to interview the authors of the best books. Good shit.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
very nice, so far.

His book was great. I have literary publicists sending me shitloads of books because of my site, CultivateGreatness.com

One asked me if I wanted to interview an author and my mind started spinning. So, I contacted a few more publicists and have now received several Review books.

So I have been reading 50-100 pages pretty much everyday.

And then I get to interview the authors of the best books. Good shit.

Congrats!

Now don't screw the pooch. Have a great interview!

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 09:47 PM
New Coke is interesting. I read a piece about it in a marketing class. Apparently, the focus groups were all positive on the taste in a blind situation.

I think as the story goes that they found that if the same thing was put in different packaging - if the red color of the can was slightly changed, or the font changed as it was on the new Coke can - people would report that it tasted differently.

the story behind their bottle is pretty cool.

http://web.indstate.edu/community/vchs/history/contour.htm

I wonder what had to happen to get a company who has had a successful product that millions love, to all of a sudden completely change the recipe. Why take that risk?

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Congrats!

Now don't screw the pooch. Have a great interview!

Heh. thanks. This is the 4th interview. So, Im not worried. I am fairly prepared, plus the publicist sends out a few standard questions about the book as well. Which is really good.

I have one scheduled for Dr. John C Maxwell in September... That dude is incredible...

Rain Man
08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Sounds like a great gig.

I would ask him if there's an ultimate limit on the market for a product, and what he thinks it would be for Coca-Cola. What's the top end?

SBK
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Heh. thanks. This is the 4th interview. So, Im not worried. I am fairly prepared, plus the publicist sends out a few standard questions about the book as well. Which is really good.

I have one scheduled for Dr. John C Maxwell in September... That dude is incredible...

If you haven't read Talent is Never Enough I just got done with it. Awesome book.

Maxwell is a good friend of my sister-in-laws dad down here. He's a really great guy too.

Cochise
08-29-2007, 09:53 PM
the story behind their bottle is pretty cool.

http://web.indstate.edu/community/vchs/history/contour.htm

I wonder what had to happen to get a company who has had a successful product that millions love, to all of a sudden completely change the recipe. Why take that risk?

Well, I think Pepsi was eating into their market share gradually.

Ari Chi3fs
so uh, say someone were to put some cocaine into a 2 Liter coca cola. How much approximately would you say it would take to get an 'original' recipe 2 Liter bottle of Coke?

ChiefaRoo
I'd rather hear his answer since he's got some credibility. You can't even successfully infiltrate an internet message board.

Infiltrate? WTF are you talking about Cochise?

By the way the career path of a bean counter isn't going to take him through sales and mktg. until he gets promoted to the board as CFO.

SBK
08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Oh, here's one other one. Ask him the one thing he did that all entrepreneurs must do to ensure success in their companies.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Is that the guy that "likes to party" in Talladega Nights?

That guy's awesome!

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a great gig.

I would ask him if there's an ultimate limit on the market for a product, and what he thinks it would be for Coca-Cola. What's the top end?

I'd like to ask him if he would be interested in being in my company's Board of Directors. Because that would kick ass.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Ask him if he keeps a woman in every city he travels too, like most rich successful chief executives. :)

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Ask him if he keeps a woman in every city he travels too, like most rich successful chief executives. :)

Do we have a jealous mistress in our midst? :p

Calcountry
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Tell him BIG COLA should pay!

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Wow, that is a benefit of being a CEO that I had never considered.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh, here's one other one. Ask him the one thing he did that all entrepreneurs must do to ensure success in their companies.

Entrepreneur? This guy is a bean counter who joined a company that was formed and market dominant before he was born. I bet he doesn't know shite about starting up a company with his own money and with established competitors. I bet dude was all about cost per unit and how to drive overhead out of the business.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Do we have a jealous mistress in our midst? :p
Ha! Ha! No but I was told my one, who kept arranging business meetings in hotel restaurants, tell me this as well as another one.

boogblaster
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
The foreign market is how he grew so fast...bet they dont pay a dollar for a 12 ouncer either ...

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Ha! Ha! No but I was told my one, who kept arranging business meetings in hotel restaurants, tell me this as well as another one.

Just teasin', Paisano.

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
I wonder how many Cokes he drinks a day.

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I was so sad when the local grocery stores stopped selling Coke in bottles and they were all replaced by 24 can packages. Do you know how much money I lost when that market was squeezed out? What was the catalyst behind moving from glass bottle to can?

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 10:42 PM
I was so sad when the local grocery stores stopped selling Coke in bottles and they were all replaced by 24 can packages. Do you know how much money I lost when that market was squeezed out? What was the catalyst behind moving from glass bottle to can?

Cost per unit Einstein. You can buy aluminum (coil based) canning equipment that is much faster than any form of glass mold or extrustion type of equipment. Plus, it's easier to package more of it and ship it with less breakage. I don't know why I have to tell you these things Ari.

Nzoner
08-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd like to know if it's Coke's policy to blow off polite middle-aged men simply looking for a few cases of product for an upcoming fundraiser.It's sad really especially when Pepsi and 7-Up both are more than glad to help.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Feel free to ask me any more questions Ari. I am glad to educate you. This fall I'll teach you about basketball.

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Well he left there in 2000. So, he isn't that policy maker. Plus, it could have been the local distributor who didn't hook you up.

Nzoner
08-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Well he left there in 2000. So, he isn't that policy maker. Plus, it could have been the local distributor who didn't hook you up.

It was the local distributor okay,fed me a bs line that corporate had to make those decisions.

Right :rolleyes:

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
I'd like to ask him if he would be interested in being in my company's Board of Directors. Because that would kick ass.

Be careful. Guys like that can make lousy additions to an advisory board. Your small start-up bus. is whole different animal in comparison to the monster he ran.

Bearcat
08-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Do you have any regrets in your battle with Pepsi, such as not acquiring Gatorade or not moving into other markets as Pepsi did with restaurants, Frito Lay, etc? Do you think Coca-Cola will ever go that route? In a health-conscience world where soft-drink consumption is down about 10% in the last decade, will Coke fall behind?

Coke was able to get into markets such as China before the vast majority of other US corporations, but what challenges does Coke continue to face as it continues to try to saturate the world market?

Any truth to the rumor that thermometers will eventually be installed in vending machines so prices will go up as the temperature/demand goes up?

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Ask him how many Coca-Cola's he has before meeting with a guy from Arkansas.

Ask him if he's "all hopped up" from the Cokes.

Ask him is his kids suffer from ADHD from drinking Coke.

Lastly, ask him if he'd consider taking over the PepsiCo, just to get back at those bastards at Coca-Cola.

Kerberos
08-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Which former CEO? What is his name?

Is he former Coca-Cola USA CEO or Coca-Cola Enterprises CEO?

The former Coca-Cola Enterprises CEO that left around 1999 or 2000 went to work for Indian Motorcycles to try and bring the company out of lessergy and into the WORLD market to take some of Harley Davidsons thunder. Don't know how well that went but I have seen MORE and MORE Indian Motorcycle dealers around than evah before.

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Ask him if he hates Pitbulls

StcChief
08-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Why does his product destroy rusty nails

Bowser
08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Ask him if you can have a 5 million dollar grant.

Amnorix
08-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Here's one that might not be too bad.

Schlitz was once the third or fourth most popular beer in America. They changed their formula, and they have never recovered.

Coke did soemthing similar, and while it hurt them, they did recover. Can he discuss any parallels and differences between the two situations?

One difference, I think, is that Coke continuedt o sell "classic coke" while Schlitz didn't keep the old flavor, but just went whole hog into the new.

Amnorix
08-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Do you have any regrets in your battle with Pepsi, such as not acquiring Gatorade or not moving into other markets as Pepsi did with restaurants, Frito Lay, etc? Do you think Coca-Cola will ever go that route? In a health-conscience world where soft-drink consumption is down about 10% in the last decade, will Coke fall behind?

Coke was able to get into markets such as China before the vast majority of other US corporations, but what challenges does Coke continue to face as it continues to try to saturate the world market?

Any truth to the rumor that thermometers will eventually be installed in vending machines so prices will go up as the temperature/demand goes up?

I think Pepsi has completely or partially unwound alot of those restaurant acquisitions, and is now just trying to enter into long term contracts with restaurant chains, etc.

Not 100% sure of that, but I seem to think I read that somewhere...

Ari Chi3fs
08-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Which former CEO? What is his name?

Is he former Coca-Cola USA CEO or Coca-Cola Enterprises CEO?

The former Coca-Cola Enterprises CEO that left around 1999 or 2000 went to work for Indian Motorcycles to try and bring the company out of lessergy and into the WORLD market to take some of Harley Davidsons thunder. Don't know how well that went but I have seen MORE and MORE Indian Motorcycle dealers around than evah before.

Jack Stahl. He left Coke and went to Revlon for 5 years, and turned them around.

HMc
08-30-2007, 08:56 AM
He was never the CEO.

Ari Chi3fs
08-30-2007, 09:37 AM
He was never the CEO.

Actually, you are right, my bad. He was a former president and chief operating officer of Coca-Cola. I'm glad that clarification was made before I looked like a douche.

Funny thing, I have seen all over where they said he WAS a former CEO there.

Inspector
08-30-2007, 10:00 AM
See if he might consider changing the recipe and coming up with something else. They could call it Coke.

CHENZ A!
08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Hold him hostage until he agrees to start distributing Surge again. that shit was the bomb.

Short Leash Hootie
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Hold him hostage until he agrees to start distributing Surge again. that shit was the bomb.
Wow.

Agreed.

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 10:07 AM
"can I just borrow two dollars, just two man?" [EK]

Kerberos
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Jack Stahl. He left Coke and went to Revlon for 5 years, and turned them around.

I was thinking of Henry Schimberg that left CCE in 2000 to be Chairman (not CEO) of Indian Motorcycles.

http://www.wherethepoweris.com/news_article.asp?id=628

Simply Red
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
As a matter of fact, I do.

See if he knows who created that GOD AWFUL Pepsi commercial with all of the yawning.

Ari Chi3fs
09-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I asked a few of your questions. Some good thought in this thread, i appreciate your input.

He seemed pretty impressed overall and gave some great insight on what it takes to be a leader and an executive of a big company.

Here is the Interview:

Jack Stahl- Former CFO, COO, President of Coca-Cola, Former CEO of Revlon Audio Interview [24:00 length] (http://cultivategreatness.com/podcasts/CG015_JackStahl.mp3)

Toad
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Gatorade is actually a PepsiCo brand. Coke's direct competitor is Pepsi Cola beverages (Pepsi USA)that is an umbrella company of Pepsico. Pepsi beverages has taken large share gains in total beverages. A few years back, Pepsi USA partnered with Starbucks with Frappucino and Starbucks energy drinks and Lipton with teas. Both those (along with Pepsi's Aqufina water) have put a hurt on Coke. Coke did not take it laying down. They recently bought Glaceau (vitamin water) and is rumored to be bidding for Snapple tea (currently owned by Cadbury which also owns Dr Pepper/7-UP).

Pepsi actually sold the restaurants several years ago (KFC, Taco Bell, A&W and Pizza Hut) to YUM. But, PepsiCo still owns a large amount of stock in that company to keep all beverage pours with Pepsi brands.

Vendors that dictate price based on temperature is a long way off. The technology is there, but the operations side is hard to solve for (i.e, delivery and supply based on forecast).

listopencil
09-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I think Pepsi has completely or partially unwound alot of those restaurant acquisitions, and is now just trying to enter into long term contracts with restaurant chains, etc.

Not 100% sure of that, but I seem to think I read that somewhere...

Yes, Pepsi completely backed out. They are owned by YumCo IIRC.

CHENZ A!
09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
JUST ****ING MAKE SURGE AGAIN YOU STUPIS ASS BARTARDS

Marlboro_Chief
09-03-2007, 02:06 AM
I asked a few of your questions. Some good thought in this thread, i appreciate your input.

He seemed pretty impressed overall and gave some great insight on what it takes to be a leader and an executive of a big company.

Here is the Interview:

I don't have time to ****in watch that. Just tell me, did you ask him about blow?

Valiant
09-03-2007, 02:16 AM

I think we still have a few cases in the basement.. Of course we also just threw out some Crystal Pepsi also.. You would not believe some of the shit I find at my parents basement.. When a zombie apocalypse happens, come find me we have the resources...

Ultra Peanut
09-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Hold him hostage until he agrees to start distributing Surge again. that shit was the bomb.I COME BEARING GOOD NEWS

http://imgred.com/http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Vault_Bottles.jpg

CHENZ A!
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
No way that's the same, but I'll try it.

Short Leash Hootie
09-03-2007, 11:20 AM
No way that's the same, but I'll try it.
It is good, but it isn't the same.

88TG88
09-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Didn't that stuff make your testicles shrink ?

Ari Chi3fs
09-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't have time to ****in watch that. Just tell me, did you ask him about blow?

Good thing, since it isn't a video, Dumbass.

ChiefaRoo
09-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Good thing, since it isn't a video, Dumbass.

Did you teabag him and ask him if you could be one of his minions?