PDA

View Full Version : JJ Reddick: "The Best Shooter in College Hoops History"... Bullsh*t.

jAZ
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Just saw the commercial for Reddick's own basketball video on TV. This is from website...

http://www.betterbasketball.com/

http://www.betterbasketball.com/images2/jj_redick.jpg

This old blog entry explained pretty well...

http://highfivehoopschool.blogspot.com/2005/02/east-coast-media-bias.html

East Coast Media Bias
Lately, Lute Olson has taken up the cause of the West Coast and drawn the ire of pundits Grant Wahl and Gregg Doyel. Basically, Olson pointed out to Dukie V that JJ Redick is not the greatest shooter of all time, as Dukie V would lead the viewers of any Duke game to believe, and he isn't even the best shooter this season.

Wahl, to his credit, supplies the numbers that back Olson's claim:

(Salim) Stoudamire: .532 field-goal percentage (140-263), .547 3-point FG (76-139)
(JJ) Redick: .412 FG (134-325), .417 3FG (80-192)
(Gerry) McNamara: .384 FG (126-328), .344 3FG (86-250)

However, Wahl does not let the facts get in the way of his argument, which is that Olson should not be promoting his player at the expense of other players, even if the media is completely off-base in its assessments. And, why should he media be criticized for its opinions? Why should it actually use facts to back up its opinions? After all, Dukie V. is an expert analyst; isn't his opinion more important than any facts Coach Olson can use?

Even better is how Lute Olson addressed the issue at the time...

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/61144.php

"There's a bit of information that (UA sports information director Richard Paige) shared with me about Redick being the greatest shooter in the country,'' Olson said. "If he hit 71 consecutive field goals, he'd reach Salim's field goal percentage shooting. If Redick made 53 consecutive three-pointers, he'd tie Salim for three-point field goal percentage."

Silock
08-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Doesn't the commercial just say "In basketball history?"

Direckshun
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Pistol Pete.

jAZ
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Doesn't the commercial just say "In basketball history?"

ROFL at "just".

:)

The TV commerical says something different from the website. Something like "maybe the best in basketball history". It qualifies it with maybe, but broadens it to all of basketball history.

FYI, Steve Kerr (also of the UofA) is the greatest (both career and season) 3pt shooter in NBA history.

Third Eye
08-29-2007, 11:30 PM
ROFL at "just".

The TV commerical says something different from the website. Something like "maybe the best in basketball history". It qualifies it with maybe, but broadens it to all of basketball history.

FYI, Steve Kerr (also of the UofA) is the greatest (both career and season) 3pt shooter in NBA history.
The Kerr reference reminds me of the days when I actually cared about the NBA.

Silock
08-30-2007, 12:05 AM
ROFL at "just".

Either way, it's stupid. When I first heard the commercial, I was expecting someone GOOD to be mentioned... and then I see Reddick. WTF

Worst. Commercial. Ever.

ChiefsCountry
08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Blake Ahearn of Missouri State beat him every year in free throw percentage.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Blake Ahearn of Missouri State beat him every year in free throw percentage.

And how many championship rings does Mr. Ahearn presently have on his finger?

jAZ
08-30-2007, 01:25 AM
About the same as Reddick... meaning zero.

tk13
08-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the same amount as Redick? The last Duke team to win it all was the Jason Williams team.

ChiefsCountry
08-30-2007, 01:56 AM

Zippo same as Reddick.

CHENZ A!
08-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Salim wins hands down. You could be inside that dude's jersey, and he'd drop it from the rafters from 2 steps inside the half court line. I was at the U of A - KU game where he hit like 7 3's and brought the Cats back from a 20 pt first half deficit to win by 20 at Allen Field house.

CHENZ A!
08-30-2007, 02:19 AM
i will say however, that reddick's "form" was very good, and Salim being a lefty looked unorthodox, so if they're just trying to sell instructional videos on how to shoot, I guess people could relate more to the righty.

CoMoChief
08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I would argue he was the best free throw shooter in NCAA history.

But the best shooter hands down ever was Pete Marovich from LSU.