PDA

View Full Version : Writing On The Wall For Parker

Count Zarth
08-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Writing On The Wall For Parker (http://chiefs.scout.com/2/673571.html)

Sometimes I wonder if Dick Vermeilís trip to Oregon before the 2004 draft didnít set the Chiefs back years. Because of one plane ride north, Kansas City selected Junior Siavii, perhaps the biggest defensive tackle bust in team history, and wide receiver Samie Parker, whose NFL career is shaping up to be only slightly better.

A year ago, I was expecting big things from Parker. It was his third year in KCís offense, and though most great NFL receivers bust out in their sophomore seasons, letís be fair: there have been a ton of good wideouts who came of age in their third NFL seasons (Curtis Conway and Muhsin Muhammad, for example) and even a few great ones (Fred Biletnikoff and Steve Largent).

A year later, Iím only expecting one thing: Parker will be cut.

Iím not sure what kind of game the Chiefs have been playing this preseason (Editorís Note: I think itís called ďfootballĒ), but despite my expectations, Parkerís been working almost exclusively with the starters Ė even in training camp. This is going on while the fourth-year wide receiver has been outperformed by players such as the recently-departed Rod Gardner and second-year receivers Chris Hannon and Jeff Webb.

A casual observer might look at this and think Parkerís job is secure. Why would the Chiefs cut a guy whoís been starting so many games, and outside of Eddie Kennison, has the most experience of any wideout on the roster?

My response to that question, is, ironically, another question:

Why would a receiver whoís supposedly a starter be playing in the fourth quarter of a meaningless exhibition game?

That took place last Thursday against the New Orleans Saints. Parker was spotted running routes while Casey Printers put on an incredible display of CFL quarterbacking skills.

And it wasnít just the Saints game. Parker played late into the third quarter against the Dolphins the week earlier. I havenít gone back to check the tape from Cleveland, but Iíd bet Brodie Croyle wasnít the last quarterback who played with Parker that night, either.

Hereís the really awful thing about all of this:

If Parkerís been receiving so much playing time, why does he have only three catches for 17 yards this preseason?

Pack your bags, Samie. Those three catches wonít impress the coaching staff, and neither will the three drops (one in each game).

Right now, Hannon looks like a far more dangerous receiver, and I donít think the Chiefs will cut Jeff Webb after only two seasons. When you consider that new kick returner Eddie Drummond rounds out the receiver corps to five positions (including Eddie Kennison, Dwayne Bowe, Hannon and Webb), I think itís safe to say Parkerís days in Kansas City are numbered. The Chiefs did keep six receivers on the roster a year ago, but really had no choice considering Gardner, Webb and Hannon barely contributed last season.

And why would the Chiefs keep Parker in favor of Gardner, who displayed far better hands in training camp? Watch closely, because I think tonightís game in St. Louis will be the final outing in a Chiefs uniform for #18.

Head coach Herm Edwards gave us all a clue during Tuesdayís press conference:

ďEvery player is treated fairly, but theyíre not all treated the same,Ē he said. ďSome of them are treated with more expectations in my mind because of who they are and what they need to do to help the football team. If you feel certain players arenít doing that, then you have to shake them up a little bit and create competition at the position. I think thatís important and thatís what we tried to do at the receiver position. Thatís why we drafted a first-round receiver.Ē

Count on Bowe starting the season in Houston. It only took one play Ė a spectacular 21-yard reception, featuring New Orleans safety Kevin Kaesviharn as a passenger Ė for him to completely outclass Parkerís disappointing preseason.

And he didnít run 30 yards downfield to celebrate the first down, either.

Extra Point
08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Well put. The dancing bananas must go.

Otter
08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Hope you're right.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Again, you're delusional if you think Parker gets cut. You're going to be disappointed when he isn't, even moreso because you're "expecting" it.

Donald Driver played past the time when Brett Favre was taken out the game. That's when Driver suffered a minor injury. Since he was playing with a QB lower on the depth chart is he in jeopardy of getting cut? :rolleyes:

Additionally, how was Siavii a bigger bust than Sims?

KurtCobain
08-30-2007, 08:54 AM
byebye stonehands

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 08:54 AM
How many paragraphs could a Gochiefs paragraph if a paragraph could paragraph Gochiefs...

El Jefe
08-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I hope we dont have to see this guy anymore.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I hope he really is cut

alpha_omega
08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Buh-Bye!!!!....knowwhatimsayin Samie!

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Bowe had a "spectacular" catch??

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 09:08 AM

Who me or Parker?

talastan
08-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Stonehands Parker.....Que the Queen music:

"Duh, duh Duh, another one bites the dust!!"

Hopefully they'll look at maybe Sippio or Hannon to replace his spot on the roster.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
i doubt Parket gets cut until we see somebody show signs of be able to replace him.

we have seen NOTHING in the games.

unless some receiver have just exploded in practice then Samie Parker is still the best we got ..... as painful has that might be.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Who me or Parker?

Both. You're both hated and both are idiots - one has stone hands, a lot of people wish the other had stone hands so he couldn't type.

Cochise
08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
You and the other denizens of WPI might want to get out of the prediction business at some point.

Frosty
08-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Dick Vermeilís trip to Oregon before the 2004 draft didnít set the Chiefs back years.

Nothing good can come from going to the University of Oregon.

Skip Towne
08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
You and the other denizens of WPI might want to get out of the prediction business at some point.
Solid advice.

Short Leash Hootie
08-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Solid advice.
Do you ever make any posts that aren't related to GoChiefs?

You're obsessed. It's sickening, really.

ChiefsDJ56
08-30-2007, 09:26 AM

Are you kidding?? Sims was a bust but he at least played for five years. Granted it was on a terrible defense, but he played. Siavii just went around spitting on people. He hardly touched the field. He was by far a bigger bust than Sims.

morphius
08-30-2007, 09:26 AM
i doubt Parket gets cut until we see somebody show signs of be able to replace him.

we have seen NOTHING in the games.

unless some receiver have just exploded in practice then Samie Parker is still the best we got ..... as painful has that might be.
Yup, sadly I don't see him being cut. While it would be great, I just don't see it as we haven't seen anything from any WR's in the preseason. Well, we have seen something, but I can't say that it was good.

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I hope you're right, gochiefs. I do, but I'm not sure I've seen enough improvement from the youngens to say I know you are right. Through Sipp in there too.

StcChief
08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Question is what would his Cap hit be? The kept Simms to long because of money loss IMO.

Short Leash Hootie
08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I can't see Parker getting cut.

DaFace
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
And why would the Chiefs keep Parker in favor of Gardner, who displayed far better hands in training camp? Watch closely, because I think tonightís game in St. Louis will be the final outing in a Chiefs uniform for #18.

This paragraph confuses me on multiple levels.

Micjones
08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I'll be surprised to see Parker cut.
So they'll just move him to the #3 spot and he'll be right at home (where he should've been all along).

Inspector
08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
How can they cut Parker??? I mean, heck, he's pretty much the top player on the team as well as the NFL.

Cochise
08-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Yup, sadly I don't see him being cut. While it would be great, I just don't see it as we haven't seen anything from any WR's in the preseason. Well, we have seen something, but I can't say that it was good.

It's pretty crazy, in my opinion, to think after what they did with Huard vs. Croyle that we're going to go into the season with a wide receiving corp of Eddie Kennison, and 4-5 guys who have never caught a pass in the NFL. I don't know of any coach in the NFL that would do that, or has ever done that.

It sounds like something you would read around here though, where people get high during camp on players (like Parker in the past) who have done nothing to deserve it, wishful thinking perhaps, who have a ceiling of being a 20 receptions situational kind of guy. But read the piece itself. It says Parker has been working with the first unit through the whole camp. Does that sound like a guy who's going to get cut?

It doesn't sound like something that anyone would realistically hope for, let alone predict. Given the state of our WR corp, it would probably be stupid to cut him. Say what you will, but he's at least played in the NFL regular season for a couple years. Are we going to run out practice squad players on third down?

Not only is he not going to get cut, he's going to start on opening day. This is just dumb on all sorts of levels.

But I guess Goatse was right about Croyle or bust, so we'd better trust him on this one too. :p

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
It's pretty crazy, in my opinion, to think after what they did with Huard vs. Croyle that we're going to go into the season with a wide receiving corp of Eddie Kennison, and 4-5 guys who have never caught a pass in the NFL. I don't know of any coach in the NFL that would do that, or has ever done that.

Not only is he not going to get cut, he's going to start on opening day. Just dumb on all sorts of levels.

Exactly. Herm is conservative. How much of the playbook could somene like Sippio possibly know after 2 weeks with the team? No NFL experience, no OTAs, no minicamps, missed the majority of River Falls, etc.

Plus, we all know Herm Rule of Law 56: a dropped pass is a lot better than a reception and a fumble.

siberian khatru
08-30-2007, 09:54 AM

I'm pretty sure GoChiefs is here to stay.

noa
08-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I think we should cut either Parker or Webb.

kepp
08-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I hope you're right, gochiefs. I do, but I'm not sure I've seen enough improvement from the youngens to say I know you are right. Through Sipp in there too.
This team isn't about improving the youngens. It's about WINNING NOW! Which is the excuse we'll hear from king carl when he overrides Herm's desire to cut Parker.

Cochise
08-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty sure GoChiefs is here to stay.

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
This team isn't about improving the youngens. It's about WINNING NOW! Which is the excuse we'll hear from king carl when he overrides Herm's desire to cut Parker.

way to take my quote out of context. I meant the growth from the two young WRs we have that were also mentioned in the article as viable replacements for sammie. It's not only the catching ability or a lower number of dropped balls, it's also knowledge of the offense and RUN BLOCKING!!!!

If the youngens have improved in these other areas they become better options than parker because they are ascending players that know the O, provide good decisions in reading the D and throwing good blocks along with having better hands than Sammie.

I haven't seen this yet, in my limited exposure, but am looking at it tonight and obviously the coaches are all looking at these scenerios. I'm not sure sammie gets cut, I hope he does, but the deciding factor in my mind is going to be based more on the blocking skills than the dropped balls. IMO

kepp
08-30-2007, 10:10 AM
way to take my quote out of context. I meant...
I agree with you. I was being facetious.

keg in kc
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm wondering if Drummond wasn't writing on the wall for Webb. Has he been injured? I don't remember seeing anything from him this preseason (NFL.com lists 1 catch for 7 yards against Miami and 1 KO return).

I think Hannon's looked good, however.

On one hand I'm hoping Parker is done, but on the other hand, I wonder if there's any chance he'll play out like Joe Horn. Only time will tell.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm wondering if Drummond wasn't writing on the wall for Webb. Has he been injured? I don't remember seeing anything from him this preseason (NFL.com lists 1 catch for 7 yards against Miami and 1 KO return).

I think Hannon's looked good, however.

On one hand I'm hoping Parker is done, but on the other hand, I wonder if there's any chance he'll play out like Joe Horn. Only time will tell.
i don't understand why Phineas can't be our returner.

Skip Towne
08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
i don't understand why Phineas can't be our returner.
Phineas T Barnum?

crazycoffey
08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
I agree with you. I was being facetious.

Hey! Somebody agreed with me!
Sorry I was such an ass about it.
I don't have a facetious meter (ironic too, because I'm hardly ever serious myself)

thurman merman
08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
i will be absolutely thrilled if samie parker gets cut.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Are you kidding?? Sims was a bust but he at least played for five years. Granted it was on a terrible defense, but he played. Siavii just went around spitting on people. He hardly touched the field. He was by far a bigger bust than Sims.

I don't know about you, but I expect the #6 overall selection to get more than 54 tackles in 74 career games. Hell, Siavii got 58 tackles in his 2 years. Who was the bigger bust again?

kepp
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey! Somebody agreed with me!
Sorry I was such an ass about it.
I don't have a facetious meter (ironic too, because I'm hardly ever serious myself)
No worries. Here ya go...

siberian khatru
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Siavii did not get 58 tackles in 2 years. Not in the NFL he didn't. At Oregon he did.

Siavii was a worse player, but Sims was the bigger bust.

Scorp
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
I really hope Sippio makes the team. A hungry wide receiver trying to prove he belongs would go along way this season IMO.

cookster50
08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Bowe had a "spectacular" catch??
Yes, he held on to it. For a Chiefs receiver, that equates to SPECT to the ACULAR catch.

bobbything
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Again, you're delusional if you think Parker gets cut. You're going to be disappointed when he isn't, even moreso because you're "expecting" it.

Donald Driver played past the time when Brett Favre was taken out the game. That's when Driver suffered a minor injury. Since he was playing with a QB lower on the depth chart is he in jeopardy of getting cut? :rolleyes:

Donald Driver does not = Samie Parker.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Pack your bags, Samie.

Hey, Goat boy, i heard Croyle is going to be our starter!!

Katie
08-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Maybe it's not about who's playing better at the moment, but who has the most potential?

htismaqe
08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe it's not about who's playing better at the moment, but who has the most potential?

Not this team, not this head coach.

Coogs
08-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm wondering if Drummond wasn't writing on the wall for Webb.

keg,

This is a blurb from a kcchiefs.com Q&A with Herm from yesterday. It would seem to indicate that Webb is going to make the team...

Q: What does the future hold for S Greg Welsey?

EDWARDS: ďHeís still here. Heís playing safety and working with the first team at times and heís still a good football player. Thatís where it stands right now.Ē

Q: Was he bypassed by the young guys because they played better or because of the youth movement?

EDWARDS: ďThere are a lot of reasons and I donít want to get into why he is where heís at. I think itís all about production, itís all about how you play and itís about what we expect out of you. For me, certain players you expect more out of, especially when theyíve play in the league. You have to make sure that theyíre giving you that production and that they are doing the things that you want them to do. Every player is treated fairly, but theyíre not all treated the same. Some of them are treated with more expectations in my mind because of who they are and what they need to do to help the football team. If you feel certain players arenít doing that, then you have to shake them up a little bit and create competition at the position. I think thatís important and thatís what we tried to do at the receiver position. Thatís why we drafted a first-round receiver. Is he going to play? Youíre dog-gone right heís going to play. Starting the season off, heís playing. WR Jeff Webb is working in the position and he will play. Thatís two more receivers that are young and who will play in the system and thatís good for us because the more you get in the system, the more experience they gain.Ē

Hailchief
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Gardner was let go already

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Donald Driver does not = Samie Parker.

Thanks Cap'n Obvious!

The point was that just because Parker was playing outside of the 1st string unit, doesn't mean he's in danger of being cut.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Siavii did not get 58 tackles in 2 years. Not in the NFL he didn't. At Oregon he did.

Siavii was a worse player, but Sims was the bigger bust.

You are correct, I misread.

You are also correct about Siavii being a worse player, I'm not arguing that. He wasn't a bigger bust than Sims.

siberian khatru
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
You are correct, I misread.

You are also correct about Siavii being a worse player, I'm not arguing that. He wasn't a bigger bust than Sims.

Yeah, I was inserting myself to agree with you. :)

bobbything
08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks Cap'n Obvious!

The point was that just because Parker was playing outside of the 1st string unit, doesn't mean he's in danger of being cut.
That's exactly what it means for Samie Parker. He's a starter that isn't producing. My point is that Driver and Parker's situations are not the same. So, to compare Driver playing in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game to that of Parker is a waste of keystrokes.

Driver is a starter that produces. Whether he plays in the 4th quarter of a preseason game is irrelevant because he's not in the same situation as Samie Parker.

The situation is unique to Driver, not to Paker.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
That's exactly what it means for Samie Parker. He's a starter that isn't producing. My point is that Driver and Parker's situations are not the same. So, to compare Driver playing in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game to that of Parker is a waste of keystrokes.

Driver is a starter that produces. Whether he plays in the 4th quarter of a preseason game is irrelevant because he's not in the same situation as Samie Parker.

Negative. One of Goatcheese's main arguments to support his premonition that Parker is going to get cut is that he was playing late into a preseason game. Driver is a prime example that playing late(r) into a preseason game does not mean that a player is in jeopardy of being cut.

Driver is a top WR, no doubt. I'm not saying Parker is, just that he's not in danger of getting cut (this year).

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM

Can you name offensive starters that have been producing this preseason?

bobbything
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Can you name offensive starters that have been producing this preseason?
No. But Parker has stuck out the most amongst all of them.

bobbything
08-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Negative. One of Goatcheese's main arguments to support his premonition that Parker is going to get cut is that he was playing late into a preseason game. Driver is a prime example that playing late(r) into a preseason game does not mean that a player is in jeopardy of being cut.

Driver is a top WR, no doubt. I'm not saying Parker is, just that he's not in danger of getting cut (this year).
Meh, I completely disagree. I think that Driver's situation (a good WR) playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game is unique. You don't see it often; if at all.

Parker, who has been terrible so far, has reason to be nervous. And him playing with all the scrubs is just another reason to be nervous. So, you're right, that JUST BECAUSE he's playing in the 4th quarter doesn't mean that he's getting cut. But, you couple that with how he has played, I think he should be looking over his shoulder.

DaKCMan AP
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Meh, I completely disagree. I think that Driver's situation (a good WR) playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game is unique. You don't see it often; if at all.

Parker, who has been terrible so far, has reason to be nervous. And him playing with all the scrubs is just another reason to be nervous. So, you're right, that JUST BECAUSE he's playing in the 4th quarter doesn't mean that he's getting cut. But, you couple that with how he has played, I think he should be looking over his shoulder.

I'm not making a case for Parker staying on the team. I just don't think there's any chance at all that they cut him. Someone has to go out and take the job from a starter and, as little as may be needed to take it from Samie, no one has gone out and seized it.

go bowe
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
cut, eh?

i'd be glad to supply the knife if we can get mohillbilly to do the cutting...

88TG88
08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
great article goatse

Mr. Flopnuts
08-30-2007, 03:51 PM
This is a good read. One of my favorites from you so far. I'm not sure he gets cut, but I hope he does.

Count Zarth
08-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I can't believe anyone is saying Hannon hasn't done anything to separate himself from Parker. Did you folks see his sick touchdown catch? He dropped one pass this preseason. Other than that, he's been consistent.

I'll be absolutely shocked if our WR depth chart is anything but the following come opening day:

Kennison
Bowe
Hannon
Webb
Drummond

Parker is a Vermeil boy, too. The roster has been slowly cleaned of those players over the last two offseasons.

DaKCMan AP
09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Wrong........again.

Phobia
09-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Who was the columnist who predicted the Chiefs wouldn't cut Parker. I'm not sure I remember his name.

DaKCMan AP
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM

I can't believe anyone is saying Hannon hasn't done anything to separate himself from Parker. Did you folks see his sick touchdown catch? He dropped one pass this preseason. Other than that, he's been consistent.

I'll be absolutely shocked if our WR depth chart is anything but the following come opening day:

Kennison
Bowe
Hannon
Webb
Drummond

Parker is a Vermeil boy, too. The roster has been slowly cleaned of those players over the last two offseasons.

Demonpenz
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
writing is on the wall. You will be our number 2 this year!

Kaylore
09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
lol great sig.

Mr. Laz
09-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Wrong........again.
if we start bumping all his wrong threads there won't be much room for anything else.

ROFL

keg in kc
09-02-2007, 01:42 AM
We're all celebrating that he's wrong when we should lament the fact that we're being subjected to another season of Samie "Slickfingers" Parker.

Mr. Laz
09-02-2007, 01:44 AM
We're all celebrating that he's wrong when we should lament the fact that we're being subjected to another season of Samie "Slickfingers" Parker.
or we are just finding the silver lining in a shitty situation. :p

keg in kc
09-02-2007, 01:46 AM
or we are just finding the silver lining in a shitty situation.You ever heard the one about "no matter how much you polish a turd..."?

Logical
09-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I only wish Clayton had been right.

Smed1065
09-02-2007, 01:51 AM
So you can be paid off.

With payments for a year or so?

I need my house finished in the basement with no interest.

Cochise
09-02-2007, 02:03 AM
You guys obviously don't get paid to do this.

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 05:32 AM
I love the fact he melted down over the Sippio thing I could see he was making the team....but Mister "sportswriter" couldn't

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 05:42 AM
I love the fact he melted down over the Sippio thing I could see he was making the team....but Mister "sportswriter" couldn't
Congrats.

I think all of us were under the impression Sippio was a longshot. By all of us, I mean everyone with a little common sense who isn't a fanboy.

Sippio was an HBO sensation, which is why a lot of people here were drawn in by the guy, but let's be honest...he can't really be that great if he's spent years in the Arena league and has never caught on with any NFL team...

Guys like Marvin Harrison don't go unnoticed for years playing in the Arena League...

Sure, there is a chance he becomes a productive receiver for us, but let's be honest, he'll be lucky to ever sniff the field while we're on offense.

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Congrats.

I think all of us were under the impression Sippio was a longshot. By all of us, I mean everyone with a little common sense who isn't a fanboy.

Sippio was an HBO sensation, which is why a lot of people here were drawn in by the guy, but let's be honest...he can't really be that great if he's spent years in the Arena league and has never caught on with any NFL team...

Guys like Marvin Harrison don't go unnoticed for years playing in the Arena League...

Sure, there is a chance he becomes a productive receiver for us, but let's be honest, he'll be lucky to ever sniff the field while we're on offense.

Uh hello? Ever heard of a guy named Kurt Warner? Wonder how the scouts missed him while playing for the Iowa Barnstormers?

Carl compared him to Bowe for crying out loud that is saying something to compare him to your first round pick and I'd bet he is our #3 guy before game 5

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Uh hello? Ever heard of a guy named Kurt Warner? Wonder how the scouts missed him while playing for the Iowa Barnstormers?

After completing his college career at the University of Northern Iowa, he attended the Green Bay Packers training camp in 1994, but was released before the regular season began. Warner later worked at the Cedar Falls Hy-Vee grocery store as a stocker before being signed by the Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League in 1995. Warner was named to the AFL's All-Arena first team in both 1996 and 1997 as he led the Barnstormers to Arena Bowl appearances in both seasons. He was also on a 20 player list of the best arena football players of all time.

In 1998, Warner was signed by the St. Louis Rams, yet he was allocated to NFL Europe's Amsterdam Admirals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 05:50 AM
And I'd bet more teams don't pay attention to the AFL because of snobbish attitudes towards the league and their players that you just demonstrated here

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 06:00 AM
First off, a QB and WR are a little different.

Secondly, for your one little success story, name a few other arena guys that had NFL success.

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 06:05 AM
First off, a QB and WR are a little different.

Secondly, for your one little success story, name a few other arena guys that had NFL success.

Another former AFL player to have success in the NFL is wide receiver Mike Furrey, formerly of the New York Dragons. While playing for the Dragons, Furrey was named to the All-Arena Second Team and the All-Ironman Team in 2002. The following year, Furrey compiled 1,574 yards receiving and 46 touchdowns, before signing with the St. Louis Rams in 2003. During his three years with the Rams, Furrey played in 37 games and earlier this year signed with the Detroit Lions. So far this year, Furrey has started six of seven games while catching 37 balls for 431 yards and three touchdowns.

The Cincinnati Bengals have multiple former AFL players including Antonio Chatman. During his playing days in the AFL, Chatman was named to the All-Rookie Team in 2002 and to the All-Arena Second Team in 2003. While playing for the Green Bay Packers, Chatman had his most successful season in the NFL in 2005 when he caught 49 balls for 549 yards and three touchdowns. Entering the 2006 NFL season, Chatman had high hopes after signing with the Bengals earlier in the year, but was placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury.

The AFL doesnít have only wide receivers in the NFL, Mike Vanderjadt, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts and currently of the Dallas Cowboys, played for the Minnesota Fighting Pike. Since entering the NFL in 1998, Vanderjadt has become, statistically, the most accurate kicker in NFL history. In fact, Vanderjadt did not miss a field goal or extra point attempt during the entire 2003 season.

Finally, Andy McCollum of the Rams played for the Milwaukee Mustangs before entering the NFL. After McCollum got his chance in the NFL, he started 155 straight games for the Cleveland Browns and the Rams before tearing two ligaments in his left knee earlier this year.

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 06:12 AM
well shit, if Sippio can turn out to be as good as Furrey, awesome!

But two guys, Chatman and Furrey...probably nothing for anyone to be excited about.

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 06:16 AM
well shit, if Sippio can turn out to be as good as Furrey, awesome!

But two guys, Chatman and Furrey...probably nothing for anyone to be excited about.

Anything numbers wise those guys put up (Chatman and Furrey) would be better than our #2-5 WR's last year combined

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 06:18 AM
you do realize that it's HIGHLY unlikely Sippio ever does anything that would qualify as production for the Chiefs, right?

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 06:19 AM
you do realize that it's HIGHLY unlikely Sippio ever does anything that would qualify as production for the Chiefs, right?

and what makes you say that o wise one?

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 06:28 AM
because I have common sense?

burt
09-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Another former AFL player to have success in the NFL is wide receiver Mike Furrey, formerly of the New York Dragons. While playing for the Dragons, Furrey was named to the All-Arena Second Team and the All-Ironman Team in 2002. The following year, Furrey compiled 1,574 yards receiving and 46 touchdowns, before signing with the St. Louis Rams in 2003. During his three years with the Rams, Furrey played in 37 games and earlier this year signed with the Detroit Lions. So far this year, Furrey has started six of seven games while catching 37 balls for 431 yards and three touchdowns.

The Cincinnati Bengals have multiple former AFL players including Antonio Chatman. During his playing days in the AFL, Chatman was named to the All-Rookie Team in 2002 and to the All-Arena Second Team in 2003. While playing for the Green Bay Packers, Chatman had his most successful season in the NFL in 2005 when he caught 49 balls for 549 yards and three touchdowns. Entering the 2006 NFL season, Chatman had high hopes after signing with the Bengals earlier in the year, but was placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury.

The AFL doesnít have only wide receivers in the NFL, Mike Vanderjadt, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts and currently of the Dallas Cowboys, played for the Minnesota Fighting Pike. Since entering the NFL in 1998, Vanderjadt has become, statistically, the most accurate kicker in NFL history. In fact, Vanderjadt did not miss a field goal or extra point attempt during the entire 2003 season.

Finally, Andy McCollum of the Rams played for the Milwaukee Mustangs before entering the NFL. After McCollum got his chance in the NFL, he started 155 straight games for the Cleveland Browns and the Rams before tearing two ligaments in his left knee earlier this year.

Oh yeah....so name 5 more, hunh....betcha can't. :rolleyes: It's just so obvious that you don't knw much about the subject.

I guess I don't have common sense.....I expect Sippio to be quite a producer.

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 06:37 AM
because I have common sense?

OH I get it you are blessed with common sense ....I see :hmmm:

Common sense to me says Sammie Parker cant catch the f*cking clap

Common Sense tells me that Kennison has a hell of a time catching the ball at times as well and he is 34 years old

Common sense tells me that Sippio is a good WR with good hands that was praised by the CEO of the team

Common sense says he made the roster for a reason

Common sense says he will play quite a bit for the Chiefs this year assuming we don't cut him in favor of a #3 QB

Common sense ....

BigMeatballDave
09-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Congrats.

Sure, there is a chance he becomes a productive receiver for us, but let's be honest, he'll be lucky to ever sniff the field while we're on offense.Dude, some players just seem to slip through the cracks. Who knows why. He
is only 26. You act like he's a career AFL guy. He was with the Dolphins in '04. His rookie year. Just because he's an unproven commodity, e.g. Croyle, you think he's got no business on the field...

burt
09-02-2007, 06:43 AM
DO NOT DISAGREE WITH THE ALL KNOWING FOOTBALL GOD THAT IS HOOTIE!!!!!!

DenverChief
09-02-2007, 06:44 AM

LMAO

this is becoming apparent to me

burt
09-02-2007, 06:47 AM
LMAO

this is becoming apparent to me

Well the guy does have a passion.......for being wrong.

BigMeatballDave
09-02-2007, 06:52 AM
DO NOT DISAGREE WITH THE ALL KNOWING FOOTBALL GOD THAT IS HOOTIE!!!!!!Don't forget about TEX...

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Well the guy does have a passion.......for being wrong.
Cite some posts where I've been wrong on this site...

I guaranteed Holmes wouldn't get 20 carries with the Chiefs this season. So far, that's looking like a good bet.

I said Huard would be week 1 starter.
I said Huard would be resigned.
I said Huard was the better fit for out team than Green dating back to last year.

I'm 2 for 2 on sig bets...

But yeah, I do have a passion for being wrong on this site...

Idiot.

burt
09-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Idiot.

That's 1.

BigMeatballDave
09-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Cite some posts where I've been wrong on this site...

I guaranteed Holmes wouldn't get 20 carries with the Chiefs this season. So far, that's looking like a good bet.

I said Huard would be week 1 starter.
I said Huard would be resigned.
I said Huard was the better fit for out team than Green dating back to last year.

I'm 2 for 2 on sig bets...

But yeah, I do have a passion for being wrong on this site...

Idiot.Even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

Huard was resigned because NO ONE wanted him.
Huard is the starter because a 2nd yr. QB wasn't ready.
Well done, Nostradamus...

burt
09-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

Well done, Notstradamus...

fyp

Ari Chi3fs
09-02-2007, 07:33 AM

I say put him on ignore. It increases the Chiefsplanet experience exponentially.

burt
09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I say put him on ignore. It increases the Chiefsplanet experience exponentially.

If I do that, then Clayton becomes the dumbest poster on the planet. Then I have to put Clayton on ignore.....then Autumnbreaksthewind...and so on and so on. Keeping Hootie off ignore saves me a lot of work.

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

Well done, Nostradamus...
Spin it however you want...

Count Zarth
09-02-2007, 07:43 AM
I know one thing...I don't look forward to any of the worthless crap Mercer posts. Hootie, on the other hand, makes this place entertaining.

Dale Mercer should aspire to Hootie's greatness.

TEX
09-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Unfortunately, in a couple of years, I have this sinking feeling that you'll be writing the same thing about Croyle.

burt
09-02-2007, 07:58 AM
I know one thing...I don't look forward to any of the worthless crap Mercer posts. Hootie, on the other hand, makes this place entertaining.

Dale Mercer should aspire to Hootie's greatness.

Oh, I do......I do :rolleyes:

I thought you wanted to be friends.......... :harumph: ROFL

BigMeatballDave
09-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, in a couple of years, I have this sinking feeling that you'll be writing the same thing about Croyle.HA! You actually voted for PARKER. Sorry, fom now on I will take everything you and Hootie say as Gospel...

TEX
09-02-2007, 08:21 AM
HA! You actually voted for PARKER. Sorry, fom now on I will take everything you and Hootie say as Gospel...

It wasn't so much that as it was not having a better alternative choice...I also felt that Croyle wasn't ready to start for various reasons. The main one was that if the kid is going to be anything, he needs a better supporting cast (OL, QB Coach, WR's, Etc.) which is why I preferred Huard. It doesn't really matter if Huard gets broke - it does Croyle. I'm pretty sure we'll see if Croyle has it later in the season, unless we sign Leftwich or something... :hmmm:

BigMeatballDave
09-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm pretty sure we'll see if Croyle has it later in the season, unless we sign Leftwich or something... :hmmm:I'd be willing to put Croyle on hold to see what Leftwich has...

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd be willing to put Croyle on hold to see what Leftwich has...
Leftwich would be killed behind our line, too...

He has a long, slow release.

Short Leash Hootie
09-02-2007, 08:28 AM
besides, if we sign Leftwich, he wouldn't play this year, anyways...how in the hell could he learn our system and be productive?

milkman
09-02-2007, 09:09 AM
besides, if we sign Leftwich, he wouldn't play this year, anyways...how in the hell could he learn our system and be productive?

Run, run, pass, punt?

If he can't learn that system, he's the dumbest ****er on Earth.

morphius
09-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Run, run, pass, punt?

If he can't learn that system, he's the dumbest ****er on Earth.
Don't you mean run, run, pass to FB short of first down marker, punt?

milkman
09-02-2007, 09:23 AM

I just abbreviated the system terminology.

Cochise
09-02-2007, 09:24 AM

Well, if it had been Croyle it would be run, run, interception. :p

Short Leash Hootie
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
BECAUSE I'M REALLY SMART