PDA

View Full Version : Hard Knocks hurts our Practice Squad

ChiefsfaninPA
08-30-2007, 10:46 AM
It is going to be extremely hard to hide talent like Brackenridge, Patterson, Webb or any other player that is a candidate for the PS. I am not sure which players we will try to put on it, but I think scouts, GM's and coaches around the league are going to have more footage and our coaches high opinions on some of these players making it even harder to hide them. They need to do a better job at making future candidates look teh sucky.

Direckshun
08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I severely doubt that people scout off what they hear on Hard Knocks. That stuff goes on in every single camp and word in the NFL travels quickly and fiercely. Hard Knocks has zero impact on it.

Besides, it's not looking like we have the talent to fully fill stuff our 53-man roster. A few spots are going to be taken up by players that don't particularly deserve it.

If a player can't make a roster like that, than the Chiefs can live without him for now.

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
well we know our starters cant hurt the practice squad

Micjones
08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Brackenridge, Patterson and Webb all make the team.
This is a great year for hanging on to guys you think will contribute in the future.

I'd be worried about losing a guy like Phinisee maybe, but there's room on the roster for the Michael Allan types.

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I think teams watch game tape as opposed to 5 second edited sound bytes.

Extra Point
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Herm needs to do a few more commercials. NOT!!!

Mr. Laz
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
we are struggle to find guys good enough to be legit starters. i don't think we have to worry about too much poaching.

jAZ
08-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I think teams watch game tape as opposed to 5 second edited sound bytes.
I think the point is... and it's not without merit... that HBO provides tape of players that wouldn't otherwise exist. We have in the past formed our team's judgement about a PS player from camp performance (no tape typically) and early enough to pull him from pre-season games in an effort to hide them.

That won't happen with HBO filming and airing lots of things that would get out in a different year.

Will it hurt us? Dunno. Could it? Yes.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I think the point is... and it's not without merit... that HBO provides tape of players that wouldn't otherwise exist. We have in the past formed our team's judgement about a PS player from camp performance (no tape typically) and early enough to pull him from pre-season games in an effort to hide them.

That won't happen with HBO filming and airing lots of things that would get out in a different year.

Will it hurt us? Dunno. Could it? Yes.

This is what I was trying to get at. Certain "second tier" players have been getting a lot of face time. With that, coaches have also been singing the praises of them. Scouts are watching this. Maybe not just for scouting purposes but it does give them more of an edge. In their profession, any information is good information, no matter how minor it may seem.

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 11:06 AM
It is going to be extremely hard to hide talent like Brackenridge, Patterson, Webb or any other player that is a candidate for the PS. I am not sure which players we will try to put on it, but I think scouts, GM's and coaches around the league are going to have more footage and our coaches high opinions on some of these players making it even harder to hide them. They need to do a better job at making future candidates look teh sucky.

Every thread you create lacks the creativity you think you have.

You really should read up on thread creation, instead of posting..every..random...though...that...you..think...of.

Please.

Stop torturing your pc by thinking of something clever and wasting our time.

HonestChieffan
08-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Maybe some owner will realize Herms talent and steal him away....

ChiefsfaninPA
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM

You really should read up on thread creation, instead of posting..every..random...though...that...you..think...of.

Please.

Sorry I don't tell momma jokes, or create threads about President Johnson signing or a Grigsby being released from jail. Real clever threads you create. Be proud of yourself.

CoMoChief
08-30-2007, 11:12 AM
If you think coaches watch Hard Knocks to scout talent then you need to never post on this board ever again.

greg63
08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Herm needs to do a few more commercials. NOT!!!

Heh! Drunk on the spot light.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
If you think coaches watch Hard Knocks to scout talent then you need to never post on this board ever again.

I don't think anyone uses it as a scouting tool. Maybe it brings certain players into light that no one would've noticed and they look at tape on that player specifically.

Donger
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM

Please.

Someone should start a thread titled: "With Which Planeteer Would You Least Like To Be Locked In A Room?"

Redrum_69
08-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Someone should start a thread titled: "With Which Planeteer Would You Least Like To Be Locked In A Room?"

How about we make one about deaf chicks instead, signing out orgasms...

keg in kc
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Carl has final cut on Hard Knocks, so I doubt anything that could potentially cost us a practice squadder is going to make air.

Hydrae
08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Carl has final cut on Hard Knocks, so I doubt anything that could potentially cost us a practice squadder is going to make air.

It took 18 posts before we got to the truth. :shake:

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I know I have always thought that Super Bowl Champs are created by the players you have the practive squad.

Micjones
08-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Not like PS players ever contribute ay CMT?
*Cough* Ryan Lilja *Cough*

Wait... Didn't he play for the Superbowl Champion Col...
Ah nevermind...

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Not like PS players ever contribute ay CMT?
*Cough* Ryan Lilja *Cough*

Wait... Didn't he play for the Superbowl Champion Col...
Ah nevermind...

Your right, Ryan Lilja should have been kept instead of Wil Shields or Brian Waters.

And he was the KEY to the Colts Super Bowl title last year.

FAX
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I envision coaches from throughout the league laughing hysterically at our team. "We need to watch out for that Samie Parker kid! ROFL ", "Woah! That Damon Huard is a killer! ROFL ", "Man, we can't let Herm have the ball with 2 minutes left in a close game! ROFL "

FAX

htismaqe
08-30-2007, 12:34 PM
I envision coaches from throughout the league laughing hysterically at our team. "We need to watch out for that Samie Parker kid! ROFL ", "Woah! That Damon Huard is a killer! ROFL ", "Man, we can't let Herm have the ball with 2 minutes left in a close game! ROFL "

FAX

Actually, I was listening to Kevin Harlan on Tuesday and he said he talked to several GMs and front office people around the NFL and that the general concensus was that the Chiefs were "embarrassing themselves" on Hard Knocks.

Nice to know that we're a laughing stock around the league.

CoMoChief
08-30-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't think anyone uses it as a scouting tool. Maybe it brings certain players into light that no one would've noticed and they look at tape on that player specifically.

I'm more than sure they have game and practice tape of them that are at much better service than what Hard Knocks brings.

King_Chief_Fan
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Actually, I was listening to Kevin Harlan on Tuesday and he said he talked to several GMs and front office people around the NFL and that the general concensus was that the Chiefs were "embarrassing themselves" on Hard Knocks.

I agree with them. After the first episode I quit watching. Herm is quite the embarassment.

I don't see any other teams wanting our PS players. If there was anything on Hard Knocks that had those players enticing, there are 3 preseason games that will change their mind.

FAX
08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

If you don't mind, what is his definition of "embarrassing themselves", Mr. htismaqe?

For my part, I'm convinced that Hermoine is a psychic vampire who is sucking the positive energy out of both the players and the fans. I just wonder what Harlan meant.

FAX

StcChief
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
we are struggle to find guys good enough to be legit starters. i don't think we have to worry about too much poaching.Ryan Lijas (sp) now starting Tacke for Colts... :hmmm:

Woodrow Call
08-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Interesting. Outside of Carl I don't rememberr being embarrassed all that much.

Maybe since I'm a fan I can't see it like others can.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Interesting. Outside of Carl I don't rememberr being embarrassed all that much.

Maybe since I'm a fan I can't see it like others can.

That is about the only thing I see that's embarrassing.

Brock
08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Ryan Lijas (sp) now starting Tacke for Colts... :hmmm:

So what does that tell you about talent evaluation during the Dick years?

Baby Lee
08-30-2007, 01:18 PM
If you don't mind, what is his definition of "embarrassing themselves", Mr. htismaqe?
Every time I see Herm sitting all contorted in those baggy shorts and with those crocs on his feet, I pretty much figure those in the meeting are being subjected to quite the display of 'brain.'

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Htis--

I wonder about that. At the same time, HK is great PR for the Chiefs, so perhaps some of this talk about embarrassment is just jealousy about the Chiefs getting huge national exposure.

However, I think you can definitely make an argument for Herm's country club style camp just through watching this show.

Frazod
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
We watch Hard Knocks - the NFL guys live it. I don't think industry professionals will put much stock in TV shot footage.

And just because we, as Chief fans, watch it, doesn't mean they do.

StcChief
08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
So what does that tell you about talent evaluation during the Dick years?
I was hit or miss I have never thought "hidding someone" on practice squad you really wanted was a good idea.

Anyong Bluth
08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Hard Knocks isn't going to really do much. They highlight the better points or the horrible points. Every coaching staff will go thru all the preseason games and look at the footage and see what's on the field. Teams trying hide a player usually will limit his reps in preseason games if they think its worth sneaking by.

Micjones
08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Your right, Ryan Lilja should have been kept instead of Wil Shields or Brian Waters.

You're right.
Especially seeing how we only carried two Guards that year.

And he was the KEY to the Colts Super Bowl title last year.

Nah, he didn't contribute. He was just there.

Chiefnj2
08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
You're right.
Especially seeing how we only carried two Guards that year.

Nah, he didn't contribute. He was just there.

I'm sure Lilja would have continued to sign one year deals for minimum while sitting behind Waters and Shields for years.

Crashride
08-30-2007, 03:35 PM
well be fine they watch game film

Micjones
08-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm sure Lilja would have continued to sign one year deals for minimum while sitting behind Waters and Shields for years.

He'd be starting now, no?